New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but has anyone else had trouble with streaming Netflix movies locking their 360? It won't respond to anything except "off". It just stops.

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, but I have a hard time keeping up with this huge thread.

Oh wait. It started again just now. Was it a buffering issue? Before, it would say something if it was the buffer, and earlier, it was sticking much longer.

Whatever the case, what's everyone else's experience of this? If it's going to do that, I'd like to be able to at least have the jewel button (whatever it is... big plastic circle) respond, or a meter saying "buffer".

Even if it's just my connection being flaky, it's kind of lame.

Now that it started up again, the quality is way lower. Sigh. I wish I could fix my DNS server issues.

Edit--Okay, now this time, it's been sitting on still-frame for about five minutes. It's not even trying to access the internet as far as I can tell, doesn't go to the rebuffering screen, no buttons do anything except the off button... What gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I just saw something really cool, if you go to the networks tab with the little pictures at the bottom the entire right side has the status of xbox live in text. Kinda like the status on the website BUT on your dashboard.

Right now it says that xbox.com is down but live is still working.

[quote name='SynGamer']My only major complaint is that i want 'My Xbox' to be the first thing i see, not Spotlight.[/quote]

[quote name='Malik112099']This.[/quote]

Me too. I was hoping to find an option for this, but it doesn't look like there's a way to change it.

[quote name='jetlitheone']So wait the updates out?![/QUOTE]

within 4-6 hours, what I have read the update wont be available at a instant to all.

Can I start a new thread where I ask what the spring update will bring us???

I would trade the NXE for the ability to play divx files from my network.

[quote name='hufferstl']Can I start a new thread where I ask what the spring update will bring us???

I would trade the NXE for the ability to play divx files from my network.[/QUOTE]

Um, divx has been playable for a while.

This just came to me via email:

Hello Preview Users,

Thank you for participating in the NXE Preview program. This program officially ends as we prepare to release NXE to the rest of the world at 2 AM PDT on Nov 19th, 2008. Since you already have the latest version of NXE, you will not receive an update notification.

Deleting Photo Party

If you have downloaded the current version of Photo Party, you will need to delete it as that version will be removed from Live. A new version of the Photo Party will be made available later on.

1. How do I delete Photo Party?
a. Go to System Settings->Memory->Hard Drive or MU->Games.
b. Highlight Photo Party and hit Y. Select Delete.

Thanks,
Xbox 360 Team

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']So what time is this actually going to go up? I'm still stuck on Pacific Standard Time so if it's in the next couple of hours, I'll shoot for it.[/quote]
2AM

I would have done the same shit.....because lord knows M$ would quickly block some sony shit in a heartbeat!

[quote name='strongpimphand']I would have done the same shit.....because lord knows M$ would quickly block some sony shit in a heartbeat![/quote]

Yes because Lord knows Microsoft does not let Windows Vista operate with Sony Vaios.

It's a stupid move for Sony because it doesn't affect Microsoft in any ways, nobody is buying XBox 360s so that they can use the NXE to stream Columbia Pictures movies on Netflix. Sony is trying to hurt Microsoft but they are only hurting their relationship with Netflix.

[quote name='lmz00']As if you wouldn't have done the same thing were you in their position.[/quote]

[quote name='J7.']Sony is merely holding out for a better licensing deal. Smart business, especially when it is company to company and does not directly affect the price for consumers.[/quote]

Exactly. It's called good business. Sorry to break it to some of you, buy Sony is only out to protect their financial interests, not Microsoft's. Nor are they suppose to make your 360 experience better.

[quote name='bardiya27']Yes because Lord knows Microsoft does not let Windows Vista operate with Sony Vaios.

It's a stupid move for Sony because it doesn't affect Microsoft in any ways, nobody is buying XBox 360s so that they can use the NXE to stream Columbia Pictures movies on Netflix. Sony is trying to hurt Microsoft but they are only hurting their relationship with Netflix.[/quote]

The Windows comparison is completely faulty. Microsoft makes money and continues to grow its market share by having their operating system on Sony computers. Sony, in the current deal, would get squat for having their movies run on 360 consoles. Bad business.

Also, I'm tired of the "people don't buy game consoles to do such and such." It's 2008. Game consoles are more than just game consoles. So, yes, people are buying systems now to watch movies. If you honestly want to make the argument that no one is buying them to stream a particular company's movies, yeah, you're right. But that's a silly thing to bring into the argument. The point is, people were excited about this new feature, and they just lost like 15% of the movies they can watch with it.

As far as their relationship with Netflix goes, Netflix is not going to piss off a major player like Sony. That would only hurt them.

[quote name='kevzik']The real question is, what quality movies where banned?[/QUOTE]
Both Ghostbusters movies, for starters. Escape From New York too.

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']So what time is this actually going to go up? I'm still stuck on Pacific Standard Time so if it's in the next couple of hours, I'll shoot for it.[/quote]

Don't bother waiting. The update starts rolling out at 2 a.m. Even if you stay up till 2, your account may not get the update until later in the day.

Here are the movies from my queue that are not available on the 360:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Murder by Death
An Evening with Kevin Smith 1&2
Les Miserables

Nothing I am going to miss. Things I have seen already a number of times.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Here are the movies from my queue that are not available on the 360:

Murder by Death
Nothing I am going to miss. Things I have seen already a number of times.[/QUOTE]

1000 points of awesome for having this movie in your queue.

22 Twain.

[quote name='hufferstl']1000 points of awesome for having this movie in your queue.

22 Twain.[/quote]

Great flick. I am big mystery fan, particularly Agatha Christie, so it's fun to see the conventions and cliches of the genre taken to task, especially by such a talented cast.

I don't expect Sony's embargo to last legally. Netflix has to be furious right now, they were banking on hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of new customers from NXE. I have a really hard time believing that the legal contracts with the studios have exceptions saying studios can mandate their movies not be played on certain devices when they feel like it. The fact that it happened in the 11th hour tells me that there has been some very heated legal battles and Netflix pulled the plug "just in case" while they try to fight it.

Now that MS and Netflix are friends, I sense a stalemate/ultimatum given to Sony if they want Netflix on the PS3.

Oh and if you go to Netflix's device page, there are two blu-ray players that can stream netflix. Sony has all kinds of irons in this fire.

I seriously believe in the next 5 years or so MS will buy a major movie studio. Probably NBC/Universal, so they can play tit for tat, among other things.

Sony just continues to compound reasons why I almost always boycott them.

I just noticed there are now 30 XNA Community games. Unfortunately, every one I tried to download gave an error. Must be in transition for the launch.

That's really cool though. Do we have an official XNA thread yet? We'll need one.

[quote name='Scorch']7 minutes left.. I was up this late playing Left 4 Dead, might as well hang around and see the new dashboard.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I'm just about to start my gaming for the night, so this is perfect - hopefully they stick to the 2am deal...

Nothing here just yet.

//edit: I'm told that if I go to "test your network connection", it will do it.. trying now..

Yep, worked just fine.

bread's done
Back