New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='bingbangboom']I wonder if this will be the same for Halo 3: Recon?[/quote]

I'm sure Recon will use the same map caching feature that H3 does.

I thought it did work with Halo 3, it just didn't help with performance because it has to sort of double cache everything?

Lots of games do that though, and I thought everything worked except those Burger King games from a couple years back?

I tried to download a new theme, and of course it deducted the points from my account, yet every time I tried to download it, the progress would get to 1%, then I'd get an error message saying that it couldn't be downloaded at this time. WTF?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I thought it did work with Halo 3, it just didn't help with performance because it has to sort of double cache everything?

Lots of games do that though, and I thought everything worked except those Burger King games from a couple years back?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you define "works." Sure you can install it, but it doubles your load times. I wouldn't call that working.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I tried to download a new theme, and of course it deducted the points from my account, yet every time I tried to download it, the progress would get to 1%, then I'd get an error message saying that it couldn't be downloaded at this time. WTF?[/quote]

Sounds like server load or your internet connection. Try to redownload it again on off traffic times like in the middle of night or early in the morning. I grabbed the Halo Wars theme and didn't have any problem and I'm with a satellite ISP.

[quote name='Corvin']Depends on how you define "works." Sure you can install it, but it doubles your load times. I wouldn't call that working.[/quote]

But if your optical drive is ailing, it's an acceptable trade-off. Jumping DVD reading can artificially increase load times, and Halo 3 did have some problems with disc read errors.

I wouldn't call troublesome DVD performance "working" either, unless you're lucky enough to have a SKU with a decent drive.

I have Gears Of War 2 installed and I do not remember it pausing for a few seconds when the checkpoints were reached when running off the old Dash. Still, overall it is nice to have a much quieter system.

[quote name='Corvin']Depends on how you define "works." Sure you can install it, but it doubles your load times. I wouldn't call that working.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how well it runs, I mean...but it's not the only game to use the drive, so I'd think that would happen with other games too. For me though it's a moot point. It could take 10 minutes to load a new section and I'd still rather do it that way then put up with how loud that drive is.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is there 16:10 support yet? 1680x1050 specifically[/QUOTE]

I think VGA is supposed to now.

It wasn't a demo of Left 4 Dead, it was an open beta. Remember? Free beta access when you preordered Left 4 Dead? It was taken down because they took the beta servers down.

Yea well that sucks because I didn't grab the demo yet, maybe it'll be on my next OXM disc.

Downloaded a community game and couldn't play it, said something about the profile isn't allowed to play this game. I hunted and pecked through all the menus and didn't find anything plus there are no child profiles on my system and I'm 24. Retried playing it and it worked, weird?!

I still have the demo and I can play it on my HD. No online but still weird that it is completely gone. I didn't preorder it either. At least have the single player demo available.

If you have already downloaded Left 4 Dead demo, it is still in your Account Management >Download History.
Just today, I put my Gamertag on my brothers 360 & HDD and downloaded the demo for him.
You will have to borrow somebodies gamertag who already downloaded it before.

I just feel like they think they're so important they don't need a demo or something.

I do have to admit, for a multiplayer only title, it's one of the more intriguing ever. If it's ever like

Ok this is the message I get whenever I try to play a community game, first time, it seems a retry of playing the trial works:

One or more of the signed-in players is prohibited from playing user-generated content, please have a parent check the profile settings and try again.

Like I said earlier I have no child profiles on my system and I'm 24 so whats the deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to start a thread about the L4D demo complaints. This thread is about the NXE.

Has anybody used the Colored hair easter egg yet??

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is there 16:10 support yet? 1680x1050 specifically[/QUOTE]

I can 100% confirm there is 16:10 support. I'm running my 360 on my 22" at 1680X1050 through a VGA cable right now.

Just be aware there are small black bars.

[quote name='bhk']I can 100% confirm there is 16:10 support. I'm running my 360 on my 22" at 1680X1050 through a VGA cable right now.

Just be aware there are small black bars.[/quote]Is that the highest res 16x10 supported or is there 1920x1200 (or whatever that next res is)? I'd appreciate it if you could check since I'm not hooked up via VGA to a monitor.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Is that the highest res 16x10 supported or is there 1920x1200 (or whatever that next res is)? I'd appreciate it if you could check since I'm not hooked up via VGA to a monitor.[/quote]

640 x 480
848 x 480
1024 x 768
1280 x 720
1280 x 768
1280 x 1024
1360 x 768
1440 x 900
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1080

are supported resolutions

I know a few people were talking about their 360s taking longer to shut down. I've now seen that several times with mine too. It's just a few seconds, probably 10 or fewer.

It's similar to my Playstation now. I'd guess it's doing disk clean up of some sort, that it's doing something we want it to be doing. I was always kind of surprised it just turned off instantly before. I'd be really curious to find out for sure what it's doing though!

[quote name='Wolfpup'] I'd be really curious to find out for sure what it's doing though![/quote]

It's sending your personal information to Microsoft for analysis.

Mine has been weird on the longer shut down thing. At times, it will be a long shut down, others it will be a short shut down, the time that it would take before NXE came out. Eh, but, I could care less. It really doesn't matter how long it take for the system to shut off, as long as it shuts off.

I think it's faster to auto-load the Xbox menu thing and then load your game than it is to auto-load your game... aint that weird?

I'm not sure what you're saying. You mean it's faster to launch to the menu and then launch the game manually, then to have it boot right into a game? I switched so it boots to the menu as soon as that was available (have ever system with that option set that way).

Has any one elses 360s locked up after this update. I have had mine lock up just when in the dashboard or what ever they are calling it now.

[quote name='sendme']Has any one elses 360s locked up after this update. I have had mine lock up just when in the dashboard or what ever they are calling it now.[/QUOTE]

My 360 has locked up for about 8-10 seconds when using the NXE, specifically when in my friends list. At first, I thought that the console just froze, but I waited and functionality returned.

So far I've had no lockups or freezes or anything, but I haven't used it much since the update, and also I don't have any friends added to this Live account yet (never bothered adding them back in since I don't have Gold).

[quote name='Wolfpup']So far I've had no lockups or freezes or anything, but I haven't used it much since the update, and also I don't have any friends added to this Live account yet (never bothered adding them back in since I don't have Gold).[/quote]

Same here. Exactly the same here.

I've had quite a few issues, including games freezing for a few seconds at a time, the blades freezing for a few seconds when looking at messages, and complete lockups of the dashboard when looking at friends lists.

I searched the thread for this, but I couldn't find anything. With the old dashboard, I would automatically be signed into LIVE. With the NXE however, I have to manually select Connect to LIVE. It is not a major problem, but it is a nuisance nonetheless. I did find an option for "Auto Sign-In", but it was already enabled. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Also, here is my avatar, currently with one of the anime hair colors. My real hair color is a dark red, but I like this tint better:

I agree with many of the people on major nelson's premium theme post that say that the xbox guide white semicircular thingy should have an opacity option, I would say like the glass trim from the old blades customization. Also any way to not boot up the game by holding a button, similar to a pc anti-autorun function, would be nice. As of right now if I need to install the game to the hard drive the game starts up and I have to exit back to the dashboard. Other than that I am loving the new interface and features.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']I searched the thread for this, but I couldn't find anything. With the old dashboard, I would automatically be signed into LIVE. With the NXE however, I have to manually select Connect to LIVE. It is not a major problem, but it is a nuisance nonetheless. I did find an option for "Auto Sign-In", but it was already enabled. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?[/quote]

You know, I MAY be having issues like this too, I can't tell for sure. It'll always say "sign in to live" even though I'm signed in (I think). And the only game I've played since the update was last year's Scene It. I didn't seem to be logged in, and it wouldn't let me log in the first time I played it. Then the second time I launched it it seemed to allow me to log in (but wasn't when I launched the game).

The whole experience was confusing. I've never had anything like that happen-though that was the first time I've played that game.

Also I wonder if the locksups are related to how many people are on your friends list?

[quote name='Spybreak8']I agree with many of the people on major nelson's premium theme post that say that the xbox guide white semicircular thingy should have an opacity option, I would say like the glass trim from the old blades customization. Also any way to not boot up the game by holding a button, similar to a pc anti-autorun function, would be nice. As of right now if I need to install the game to the hard drive the game starts up and I have to exit back to the dashboard. Other than that I am loving the new interface and features.[/QUOTE]
You can fix that under your system settings, turn auto start off.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You can fix that under your system settings, turn auto start off.[/quote]

I'm glad they added that option, although it should've been added long ago.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm glad they added that option, although it should've been added long ago.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it has been there. There was an option whether or not you'd like to boot to the dashboard or to the disc.

bread's done
Back