New Zelda for 3DS!

Probably not.

I think this is definitely the best Zelda game in a LONG time.  It shits on Skyward Sword from a very tall mountaintop.  It's been a long time where I played a Zelda game and just did things that weren't important to the main quest.  And it felt GREAT.

I think this is definitely the best Zelda game in a LONG time. It shits on Skyward Sword from a very tall mountaintop. It's been a long time where I played a Zelda game and just did things that weren't important to the main quest. And it felt GREAT.
I completely agree. I'm in the third dungeon (the one from all the pre-release footage) and I'm enjoying every second.

Just got to Lorule.  This game is so good.  Easily the best Zelda in 10 years and maybe longer since I think this is probably better than Wind Waker.

Actually found a used copy at Gamestop over the weekend and snagged it for the B2G1, along with some store credit it was practically free =)

Lost a lot of sleep to this game last night, which doesn't happen to me much these days. In ways it feels like a cash-in since it so closely resembles LTTP, but the dungeons are clever enough with just enough new mechanics that it also feels fresh.

Once you finish it, it won't feel like a cash-in because the story holds up extremely well. Definitely one of the absolute best Zelda games for story alone.

Once you finish it, it won't feel like a cash-in because the story holds up extremely well. Definitely one of the absolute best Zelda games for story alone.
The story is good, I wonder what this path will open up and if any of you are curious where this sits in the timeline, guessed or care. Here it is directly from Nintendo's Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished it. Here are my thoughts:

1. The dungeons were very clever, but some of them felt too easy puzzle-wise, and many of them were pretty short, could finish them in ~20-30 minutes. The final dungeon did a great job of utilizing all of the abilities and making you think, but I wish there more dungeons of that length and challenge (honorable mention to Turtle Rock and the Ice Ruins, they made me think pretty hard too.)

2. Story concluded well and had a nice twist. Straight and to the point, easy to follow, but still engaging.

Overall I wish the game was longer. The open "play the dungeons in any order" was a change of pace that felt fresh, but like many have said, getting access to all the items so quickly hurts the notion of exploration because there are very few places you can't get to right away. It made the game shorter as a result, even though it was great while it lasted. On the flip side, I never finished Twilight Princess because it's so damned long, so it's an odd complaint coming from someone with so little time to play games. Still, it felt over too quickly. Nostalgia was definitely a big factor for me, and it makes me want to go play LTTP.

I enjoyed the ride, but since the story was so simple and the game was over kind of quickly, I also found it a little forgettable (in addition to not having it's own unique world). I had bought it used on Saturday, and exchanged it last night since it was still within the return period and I don't see myself playing it again.

Still, very well executed. If I was able to see the 3D, I'd probably be praising that, too, but unfortunately my eyes don't work properly.

I'm still just poking around and exploring where I can.  I've done 1 dungeon in the dark world and it was awesome. 
I also just found the X button - I can't believe it took so long to stumble onto it!
  I'm already sure I'm going to immediately play through again once I finish but LttP is on the short list of my all time favorites and I still play it at least once a year so I probably like this style game more than the average person.

Finished it. Here are my thoughts:

1. The dungeons were very clever, but some of them felt too easy puzzle-wise, and many of them were pretty short, could finish them in ~20-30 minutes. The final dungeon did a great job of utilizing all of the abilities and making you think, but I wish there more dungeons of that length and challenge (honorable mention to Turtle Rock and the Ice Ruins, they made me think pretty hard too.)

2. Story concluded well and had a nice twist. Straight and to the point, easy to follow, but still engaging.

Overall I wish the game was longer. The open "play the dungeons in any order" was a change of pace that felt fresh, but like many have said, getting access to all the items so quickly hurts the notion of exploration because there are very few places you can't get to right away. It made the game shorter as a result, even though it was great while it lasted. On the flip side, I never finished Twilight Princess because it's so damned long, so it's an odd complaint coming from someone with so little time to play games. Still, it felt over too quickly. Nostalgia was definitely a big factor for me, and it makes me want to go play LTTP.

I enjoyed the ride, but since the story was so simple and the game was over kind of quickly, I also found it a little forgettable (in addition to not having it's own unique world). I had bought it used on Saturday, and exchanged it last night since it was still within the return period and I don't see myself playing it again.

Still, very well executed. If I was able to see the 3D, I'd probably be praising that, too, but unfortunately my eyes don't work properly.
Couldn't agree more.... I feel like I wrote this lol!

This is the first Zelda game in a LONG time where I immediately started a second playthrough (Hero Mode) after beating it.  While I'm going at a slower pace through it because I'm also doing the Streetpass Challenges, I still find the game to be awesome.

I still feel like the Rental System should've had a limit on how many items you could have at once to encourage you to buy the items, as well as an exchange system so you have a reason to come back to Ravio's shop once in a while.  You know, sorta like a Library/Book Store combination.

This is the first Zelda game in a LONG time where I immediately started a second playthrough (Hero Mode) after beating it. While I'm going at a slower pace through it because I'm also doing the Streetpass Challenges, I still find the game to be awesome.

I still feel like the Rental System should've had a limit on how many items you could have at once to encourage you to buy the items, as well as an exchange system so you have a reason to come back to Ravio's shop once in a while. You know, sorta like a Library/Book Store combination.
Same here. I'm still only in the second dungeon because I'm exploring all over the place but I am DEFINITELY playing this again as soon as I finish. It is my game of the year already and probably will still be if the last 6 dungeons are 1 room with the sage inside.

I do agree about the rental system. I was skeptical at first but now that I've been playing I actually like it but they could have gone a little further with it like you suggested. Maybe make the "rent price" 500 rupees and the "buy price" 5,000 rupees or something to make it seem like a bigger deal. Only rent 2 or 3 things at a time is good idea too.

If you don't already know, weapons are half off, each day gives you a different two. Buying them is pretty easy once, you get into lorule they throw rupees at you and if you complete the Treacherous Tower advanced mode you can get a ton!

The renting system was not one of my favorite but I guess they were trying something different, definitely improvements could have been made, maybe a lotto system or something or not being very limited until you buy and/or upgrade.

Heh - I didn't notice that.  Does it follow a real world schedule?  Pretty cool I guess. 

My other major gripe is the fact that you don't have to find a map in each dungeon.  That was one of the best things about the old top-down Zeldas - you go in kind of blind and then when you get the map you get your bearings.  Made things a bit trickier.  I also would like to see this carry over to the overworld instead of being opened up all at once at the beginning.  Minor stuff though for an overall fantastic game.

If you don't already know, weapons are half off, each day gives you a different two. Buying them is pretty easy once, you get into lorule they throw rupees at you and if you complete the Treacherous Tower advanced mode you can get a ton!

The renting system was not one of my favorite but I guess they were trying something different, definitely improvements could have been made, maybe a lotto system or something or not being very limited until you buy and/or upgrade.
Interesting, I didn't know that prices changed daily.

The Rental system is the only thing in the game where I think to myself 'how could they have changed this?' Well, the mini-games too, especially the Cucco one >_<

Heh - I didn't notice that. Does it follow a real world schedule? Pretty cool I guess.

My other major gripe is the fact that you don't have to find a map in each dungeon. That was one of the best things about the old top-down Zeldas - you go in kind of blind and then when you get the map you get your bearings. Made things a bit trickier. I also would like to see this carry over to the overworld instead of being opened up all at once at the beginning. Minor stuff though for an overall fantastic game.
I agree - I think one of the reasons the dungeons felt too easy was because the map was already provided, there was no blind trial and error until you located it. Every time I found the compass there would be an aha! moment as I figured out where the remaining chests/keys were, but the map being immediately available took a little of the fun out of it.

The Gameboy Zelda's had a great system of the overworld map being blacked out until you explored each area, given the familiarity of the map and the access to all the items, it would have been a nice way to encourage exploration. Knowing where everything essentially was already made me less inclined to check every corner of the map.

These are minor gripes, though. I still feel like it was a forgettable experience, but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Trying to get 999 in that is a pain!!!!

^----- To ad on to what you posted, there weren't many hidden areas in the dungeons if not at all but I will admit that the transition between walls and overhead took care of that. The other part, that I wish it had and didn't have much of were rooms where you had to defeat all the enemies before you can proceed.

Heh - I didn't notice that.  Does it follow a real world schedule?  Pretty cool I guess.

I remember Phantom Hourglass had that too when you would go fishing for ship parts or play some of the mini games. I really can't remember which one it was.

I'm in my 3rd dungeon now -
Turtle Rock.  I finished the swamp dungeon and the dark dungeon already and really enjoyed both.

Got this done over the weekend. It was a pretty enjoyable ride albeit short.

Gonna go ahead and give it knocks for the hand holding that discourages exploration and finding items (a feel of progression). The gameplay is Zelda to the core and if I had to rate it, a solid B+ and worth about a $30 buy. The wall merging was fun and the few times it was integrated into fighting was a good.

Got this done over the weekend. It was a pretty enjoyable ride albeit short.

Gonna go ahead and give it knocks for the hand holding that discourages exploration and finding items (a feel of progression). The gameplay is Zelda to the core and if I had to rate it, a solid B+ and worth about a $30 buy. The wall merging was fun and the few times it was integrated into fighting was a good.
I had fun with the game myself, but also found it to be on the short side. According to the stats at the end, I never died. I even filled up 4 bottles with potions and they were never used.

The only thing I haven't done yet is the giant cucco challenge. Other than that, I loved this game it's my new favorite Zelda, shortly followed by A Link to the Past

I had fun with the game myself, but also found it to be on the short side. According to the stats at the end, I never died. I even filled up 4 bottles with potions and they were never used.
I thought I read somewhere that there is a hero mode after you finish which makes it tougher.

Anyone have any idea how to get the net if you opted to buy the Golden Bee and hand it in prior to receiving it?
I can't get the Bee Guy to fork it over, and therefore can't get the Super Net from the Treacherous Tower. Very irritating.

*Figured it out.... Can't have a fairy in a bottle if you go to see him, even if you have empty bottles.

Maybe try going to see him with an empty bottle?  I'm sure you've done that but I think that was the initial trigger to get the net in the first place.

I'm just about finished with the Ice Dungeon (which will be my 7th sage).  Still GoTY for me.  Can't wait to find the last 20 Mai Mais and play hero mode!

Finally started this up yesterday.  Got through the first dungeon, rented all the items and saved at the start of the Gales dungeon after getting the item needed to reach it.

Loving the game so far, which is no surprise since LTTP is one of my all-time favorite games.  I was worried I'd burn out on Zelda since I just finished Ocarina of Time 3D a couple days ago.  But the top-down Zelda games are different enough from the 3D ones to make it not feel like I'm just playing more of the same.

I am loving this game..  It's a fun amazing game.  I am 38 and feel like I just picked up Zelda on the NES again for the first time..  Zelda is just so much fun..  

I hit 91 last night so I've upgraded pretty much everything except for the last one.  Can I complete the game and then go back and find the Mai Mais or will it be too late?  I plan on playing Hero Mode but I'd like to get 100% on this save file first.

Just finished this game, and I had an absoulte blast. I had bought the bundle the day it came out Nov 22nd, and never got around to playing it. I put it off until last night when I played maybe an hour or so. I ended up beating the game in one day! I was hooked, and loved everything about it. The dungeons at least felt short to me where I was like "Okay, I can get two more dungeons done in an hour." I ended up beating the game :p Hands down my favorite game on the 3DS! Highly recommend this title to anybody.

Just finished this game, and I had an absoulte blast. I had bought the bundle the day it came out Nov 22nd, and never got around to playing it. I put it off until last night when I played maybe an hour or so. I ended up beating the game in one day! I was hooked, and loved everything about it. The dungeons at least felt short to me where I was like "Okay, I can get two more dungeons done in an hour." I ended up beating the game :p Hands down my favorite game on the 3DS! Highly recommend this title to anybody.
Did you collect everything? I have many hours in this thing and still not complete.. I collect everything and have no clue how people can finish this in one day. Collecting 100 of those suckers takes forever.. LOL

Did you collect everything? I have many hours in this thing and still not complete.. I collect everything and have no clue how people can finish this in one day. Collecting 100 of those suckers takes forever.. LOL
Collecting everything may take me another 2-3 hours max! I just ended up completing the game, and I would collect the little Maimiams as I would see them. I never went out of my way to get them, and I collected 38 of them.

Collecting everything may take me another 2-3 hours max! I just ended up completing the game, and I would collect the little Maimiams as I would see them. I never went out of my way to get them, and I collected 38 of them.
It would take longer than another 2 - 3 hours to collect everything including all chest, all little Maimiams etc. I could probably complete this game in 8 - 10 hours if I was anal about doing every little thing in this game. But I love it so much, I just enjoy this game to much to put down right now lol.. Awesome game..

I got 100 Mai Mais and I'm in the last dungeon. I didn't look a single thing up online so it took me a while to get this far. I can't remember the last time a game was this much fun. Portal 2 maybe?

I got 100 Mai Mais and I'm in the last dungeon. I didn't look a single thing up online so it took me a while to get this far. I can't remember the last time a game was this much fun. Portal 2 maybe?
yeah, it takes a while to find those those bastards.. I love this game and exploring trying to find everything.. Awesome Awesome game..

[quote name="grif32" post="11433054" timestamp="1389356517"]yeah, it takes a while to find those those bastards.. I love this game and exploring trying to find everything.. Awesome Awesome game..[/quote]

I finished the game! The ending was really good. To me this is just about as perfect as you can get. It was challenging but not frustrating and it took a while to finish without ever getting boring.

I do find it hard to believe that someone could find most of the Mai Mai's in an hour without using a guide and going as fast as possible. I mean if it only took a minute to find each one that's almost 2 hours right there! I probably stink at video games though.

I finished the game! The ending was really good. To me this is just about as perfect as you can get. It was challenging but not frustrating and it took a while to finish without ever getting boring. I do find it hard to believe that someone could find most of the Mai Mai's in an hour without using a guide and going as fast as possible. I mean if it only took a minute to find each one that's almost 2 hours right there! I probably stink at video games though.
I have not finished it yet. Trying to find the time to.. I hear ya, you can not collect all those little suckers in an 1 1/2 even with cheating.. But oh well to each their own.. Still an amazing game with lots of fun things to explore...

I'd like to get some more streetpass badges/achievements but I just don't get enough visitors.  I'm pretty much leveled up as much as possible so whoever is fignting my Shadow Link probably hates me LOL.

Well, just beat the game for the first time. Awesome stuff.

Wish the Hero Mode would have been available from the start, but so it goes. 

Definitely one of my most favorite gaming experiences in a long, long while.

Finally finished this up.  Great game from start to finish.  Just enough new to the Zelda formula to make it not feel stale.  I really liked that the dungeons were mostly pretty short, but still had some clever puzzles.  Especially after playing through Ocarina of Time again recently.  I love that game, but spending 2-3 hours figuring out some dungeons can be tedious.

I didn't bother much with the Maiamais, only found 30 some and upgraded the bow, boomerang and hookshot, or heart pieces--just got the ones I saw and could figure out.  I've never been much into 100% the Zelda games as I'm not big into collect-a-thon stuff.  I may check out the battle tower mini-game, but otherwise I'll probably sell it off soon as I'm not interested in replaying on Hero Mode.  Too much other stuff in the backlog I need to get to.

Almost done. Only a  couple of heart pieces and Maiamais left prior to finishing the game. I can't say enough good things about it... simply amazing, an absolute blast.

I can safely say that the 3DS XL is by far my favorite system. I got one in early November and so far I've played Zelda OoT, Luigi's Dark Mansion, Star Fox 64, Fire Emblem and now Zelda A Link Between Worlds. Every one of these games is excellent. If you are on the fence about either the game or system please go out there and buy it asap. You won't be disappointed.

Beat it last night. Best Zelda game since Majora's Mask. I'm not sure how you folks got all the Maiamais without using a guide. The ones located in the desert castle area are nearly impossible to find without using a guide. All and all, January has been a fantastic month of gaming for me beat Fire Emblem, Zelda and The Last of Us. 

Beat it last night. Best Zelda game since Majora's Mask. I'm not sure how you folks got all the Maiamais without using a guide. The ones located in the desert castle area are nearly impossible to find without using a guide. All and all, January has been a fantastic month of gaming for me beat Fire Emblem, Zelda and The Last of Us.
Headphones! Seriously, you can really hear the MaiMais cry when you are close and then it is just a matter of poking around in the general area. Without the headphones I was having a lot more trouble. I had the hardest time with the ones on Death Mountain but I eventually got them all.

Headphones! Seriously, you can really hear the MaiMais cry when you are close and then it is just a matter of poking around in the general area. Without the headphones I was having a lot more trouble. I had the hardest time with the ones on Death Mountain but I eventually got them all.
Yeah, headphones are a huge help. I finished getting all 100 a couple of days ago without using a guide either. I had a hard time with the death mountain ones and didn't realize there were some
in the 30 second rupee minigames
All I have left to do are find 4 heart containers.

The game is challenging puzzle wise, but the only time I died was with the guy you take rupees from. I have to start hero mode soon.

Yeah, headphones are a huge help. I finished getting all 100 a couple of days ago without using a guide either. I had a hard time with the death mountain ones and didn't realize there were some
in the 30 second rupee minigames
All I have left to do are find 4 heart containers.

The game is challenging puzzle wise, but the only time I died was with the guy you take rupees from. I have to start hero mode soon.
I think I found those by accident.

I agree on the ease of combat. I died once on the 50-level Tower and my son died twice while he was playing my file. I tried the tower before I was equipped properly. I also "died" a ton of times with faries in bottles to revive me so I guess that doesn't count. I have to start Hero Mode but I'm trying out Pokemon Y right now. Not sure I get the appeal but I'll keep playing.

I think I found those by accident.

I agree on the ease of combat. I died once on the 50-level Tower and my son died twice while he was playing my file. I tried the tower before I was equipped properly. I also "died" a ton of times with faries in bottles to revive me so I guess that doesn't count. I have to start Hero Mode but I'm trying out Pokemon Y right now. Not sure I get the appeal but I'll keep playing.
Thx for the tip. I'll make sure to try the headphones during my next playthrough. Funny enough I just started Pokemon Y as well. First Pokemon game I've ever played. Hopefully it'll hold me over until Bravely Default comes out.

bread's done
Back