New Zelda for 3DS!

Trailerwas pretty good.  Also not officially mentioned, but the game will include StreetPass.  Aonuma/translator alluded to a MM teaser in the game.

Is it just me or does the game look kind of low budget?
I think it is just the N64 looking art style for the cut scenes. I saw the game in person and the overhead perspective looks very nice. Of course this could be just because I am so used to the LttP graphics.

So do you guys think this game will follow the exact same structure as LttP? 3 dungeons to start and then Master Sword then Lorule/Hyrule combo with a bunch of other dungeons? I always thought that a game like this should have 10-12 "real" dungeons and a gigantic overworld to explore. I'm still a bit worried that this won't feel like a completely new game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is just the N64 looking art style for the cut scenes. I saw the game in person and the overhead perspective looks very nice. Of course this could be just because I am so used to the LttP graphics.

So do you guys think this game will follow the exact same structure as LttP? 3 dungeons to start and then Master Sword then Lorule/Hyrule combo with a bunch of other dungeons? I always thought that a game like this should have 10-12 "real" dungeons and a gigantic overworld to explore. I'm still a bit worried that this won't feel like a completely new game.
I thought it was mentioned a whileback that most dungeons could be completed in any order. I haven't finished LttP yet (been near the end on the gba version since it came out).

Were you at the NYCC panel? During the QA, someone asked a question regarding diffciulty spikes if someone went to dungeon X etc. The whole renting system in leui of buying is probaby one way to accomendate that. Bombs from the start also make it seem like this game will have many possible speed routes. Aside for that question (and the first question), all the other questions were a wash and wasted time.

I demoed the game as well. The new puzzle mechanic seems to be fresh and the best out of all the handheld games I played (did not get far in PH or start the other DS one) though I don't recall Minish Cap much. It took me 3 tries to get to the boss and beat it. First time I had to get use to the controls. Second time I messed up and just killed time so I could restart.

Gamestop is throwing in an Oracle of Seasons dl code when you preorder. Not as cool as the musical treasure box the UK is getting.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/110062
WTF is with this picture on the product page?

238364_440x350.jpg

It's hard to get excited about it since I have the original carts but I guess it would be nice to be able to just have them on the 3DS.
As do I. I've beaten Ages and Seasons as well as the linked versions so don't really need to play them again on 3ds.

NoE gets a music treasure chest (makes the sound as in the game when opened). Guess I'll wait for sub $30

Aonuma gives an explanation on why this is "sequel" of sorts.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=498005063628183

Actually not really. His "answer" is the same it's been on how/why the games are connected - same universe but different generations of Link etc (aside from actual direct sequels).

Two new trailers!

Gameplay Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTtHH9uCnw

Music Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up8IiFR_T2k

Okay, I might have to get this.

I'm so glad it was tweaked in the wake of the 2DS:

...when Nintendo announced the 2DS, it may have made Zelda fans wary of how the game will run on the non-3D platform.

Not to worry, says Aonuma, as the game's puzzles were tweaked when they heard about the 2DS. He stresses that "It's not that you can't play it with 2D, it's just that it becomes clearer when you have the 3D effect on." Aonuma explains that "We found out about the 2DS during development, not before, and we also made changes so that we were sure that you could still play and solve the puzzles only with 2D. It's definitely still playable in 2D."
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128855-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds-Tweaked-for-2DS

I'm incapable of seeing 3D, even on the 3DS, so this is great news for me.

I'll definitely get it, probably not near launch though since I have a decent backlog and my fiancée just got me ocarina of time 3d for my birthday.

Reviews have started coming in.  It is looking more and more that this may be the best Zelda game of the last 10 years.  It is currently sitting at a 91 across 32 critic reviews on metacritic.  Destructoid is the only site that scored it less than an 80/100 (they gave it a 65).  Also, Wombat likes it.  Pretty exciting!

I rarely go by blog sites' reviews as they're typically poorly written.  Destructoid giving a 65 out of 100 basically tells people they think the game is average at best.

edit:

I quickly glanced at the Destructoid review (did read others in full).  The author actually gave it a 6.5 out of 10 which, for me, is a bit different from a 65 out of 100.  Based on his remarks, a 7 to 7.5 probably would have been more in line.  It seems he may have been expecting too much.

I think I need to get a copy of this game. Top-down Zelda games have always been my favorites and this one seems to be getting great reviews!

I didn't know much about this game but holy shit after seeing this game.

I appreciate that the game doesn't try to hand hold you and you can do dungeons how you want. Plus the no wallet limitations is excellent so I can hoard cash. It feels like they went back to the first game and borrowed elements from that which is great.

I played this for a bit today - it's pretty sick.  I am playing A Link To The Past for at least the 50th time (seriously) and going from that this morning to A Link Between Worlds this afternoon was cool.  The overworlds seem VERY similar but there appear to be enough differences all over the place to make it feel completely fresh. 

For example, one of the first pieces of heart you get in LttP is in the town in the upper left where there is a hole you have to jump into to access the upper level of the cave next to the hole.  Both the cave and the hole are in the same location except the ledge is now blocked by some rocks so I guess I either need the Power Glove to lift the rocks or maybe a hammer to break them (just a guess since I see the hammer in all the previews).  So I think my fears of been there done that are going to go away once I dig in.  Also,
Sahasrahla!

I'm literally 5 minutes into this game and it is unbelievable.  I wish my shit lasted longer but I had to go do something.  The graphics are so good - this is what I've always pictured the LttP to look like in my head.  THIS is the formula that needs to be exploited/rereleased every other year.

Can anyone who picked up the Zelda 3DS XL edition comment on the gold paint on the inside of the unit?  I really would like to get this but my concern is that over time that paint is just going to start coming off, especially around or near the D-Pad and buttons.

I had some time with the game, my impressions.

First off I love how they focus on exploration now. Not over-guidance like most games since WW. It's nice to know where your supposed to go but you have a overworld to explore and find stuff. Second I absolutely love and I mean love the fact that I have all of the important items available to be like 30 minutes after playing. It makes the game fun because it's not oh I don't have this item to get this secret. I mean sure there are some areas that have that, but a lot of the time, you have the item already (considering you rented it). So staples like the hookshot,bombs, etc are all there, available almost right from the start.

Now almost every item runs off a auto refilling magic meter. Bombs and Arrows don't have ammo anymore, they just drain your magic meter that refills every few seconds after not using it.  The world feels old but redone so it feels new at the same time.

Overall I think it's the best game since WW. It does things right, and it doesn't hold your hand. It knows you bought Zelda because you know how Zelda plays and it rewards you for exploring and finding new things.

Can anyone who picked up the Zelda 3DS XL edition comment on the gold paint on the inside of the unit? I really would like to get this but my concern is that over time that paint is just going to start coming off, especially around or near the D-Pad and buttons.
I think this is a hard thing to comment on. I did get this, and can give some general comments, I guess. The paint is nice quality, in my opinion. It is at least on par with my silver DS lite. Where the silver DS lite (and the white I first had) have a very glossy exterior, the Zelda 3ds is more semi-gloss or satin. The interiors feel pretty similar, with the gold perhaps being a bit nicer.

I have used my previous DSs quite a bit, but was always careful with them. They look pretty much new. I expect the new 3ds to last in much the same fashion. I was a bit concerned initially, as I have a silver Halo Reach 360 controller that has a very small worn spot from my wedding ring. I am not concerned about that with this how though, as the ring doesn't rub the 3ds the way I hold it.

If you have specific questions, please PM me, as I am not on CAG nearly as much as I used to be. :)

I just saved after entering the first dungeon and poking around a bit.  I could explore the overworld for hours trying to find differences from LttP!  So far so good although I'm not sure how I feel about being just handed the bow and arrow.  Also, are we not supposed to find maps in the dungeons?  That would be a bit disappointing as I like feeling a little lost until gaining access to the map in each dungeon.

I just saved after entering the first dungeon and poking around a bit. I could explore the overworld for hours trying to find differences from LttP! So far so good although I'm not sure how I feel about being just handed the bow and arrow. Also, are we not supposed to find maps in the dungeons? That would be a bit disappointing as I like feeling a little lost until gaining access to the map in each dungeon.
The dungeons are pretty linear, the puzzles I've played so far I wouldn't even call difficult. Some of you have way different opinions about this game then I do, I just got into the 2nd dungeon in Lorule to show where I'm at. I don't like that fact that you can pretty much explore every piece of Hyrule from the beginning and full weapons from the start?!/! I'm at a point where the game seems like it's changing but I still have to play through it more to see if starts becoming more enjoyable.

The first dungeon was pretty easy but I wasn't expecting it to be tough.  Now that I can turn myself into a painting I can really start exploring!  I also liked figuring out how to get the treasure chests on the outside of the temple - pretty cool... although it was a bit weird that the temple had an outside seemingly way high up in the sky where you could fall to your death but the location on the overworld would not give you that indication at all. 

Haven't gotten much time in yet but this game feels familiar and new all at once. I'm after the first dungeon and exploring the over world. I haven't had more than the bow available yet, maybe those items shown up soon.

But seeing as how it's 2013 I expect the game to have a ton of hand holding and be easy as all get up.

Haven't gotten much time in yet but this game feels familiar and new all at once.
This is how I feel as well. Just exploring the overworld without something forcing me to go somewhere is really refreshing. After about an hour of messing around I stumbled across what I needed to stumble across in order to advance things. No guide/walkthrough required! It's great.

I am enjoying this game quiet a bit. Between the very familiar overworld, to the new bits with the painting.  It's also really cool to see the 3d models on the creatures that used to be just pixels. 

OK... shop is open for business and I bought a bunch of stuff.  I kind of feel like I'm cheating but it does open everything up which is nice.

Very excited to pick this game up. Link to the Past is a Top 5 All-Time game for me. Don't know why I've waited to long to get it but man... friggin' 2D Zelda is back!

I think I'm almost done with the game, the game is enjoyable but I'm guessing it's mostly nostalgia kicking in. I have one more sage to save and I'm guessing the castle is the last fight. I may be in the minority but this is one of the Zelda games I've least liked, they let the game be free roam due to the whole renting of weapons but once you buy and upgrade it leaves really little exploring left.

bread's done
Back