Newbie Flaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't really get what would be the point of a newbie forum. Would there just be a bunch of "hey, welcome me!" threads? I think most newbies don't need to bring attention to themselves, and if they do, they usually do it in the off-topic forum anyway (which seems appropriate). If it's to avoid excessive flaming, shouldn't the entire site not have excessive flaming anyways?

I do like the idea of a welcome email/PM and more mods, though.[/QUOTE]
Problem is in the definition of "excessive flaming" - a simple wisecrack to you or me could be the end of somebody's e-feelings. I made a topic about that a long time ago, I think...

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Problem is in the definition of "excessive flaming" - a simple wisecrack to you or me could be the end of somebody's e-feelings. I made a topic about that a long time ago, I think...[/QUOTE]

I agree, which is why my opinion is that adding more mods is a better way to go. At least that way flaming would not get as out of control.

There will always be some flaming. The idea is to not let it get out of hand.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Problem is in the definition of "excessive flaming" - a simple wisecrack to you or me could be the end of somebody's e-feelings. I made a topic about that a long time ago, I think...[/QUOTE]

Yes you did. And now you invite everyone to a BBQ!!!1!. See, you got nicer.

[quote name='greendj27']I agree, which is why my opinion is that adding more mods is a better way to go. At least that way flaming would not get as out of control.

There will always be some flaming. The idea is to not let it get out of hand.[/QUOTE]
A simple tutorial on how to use "Report Bad Post" (inclusive of Led's "what is and is not a bad post" topic) and "Add User To Your Ignore List" should be all that's needed, IMHO.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']A simple tutorial on how to use "Report Bad Post" (inclusive of Led's "what is and is not a bad post" topic) and "Add User To Your Ignore List" should be all that's needed, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

It seems like a good idea, but how many members now don't use the button when its needed or at all for that matter.

I don't think there should be a ton of new mods, but a few would be helpful. As I mentioned earlier, it would cut down on times when there are no mods online to act on a reported post or other problem.

Add "Add User to Your Ignore List" to the drop down menu when you click someone's name instead of "Add User to Your Buddy List". It will be much more efficient.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']A simple tutorial on how to use "Report Bad Post" (inclusive of Led's "what is and is not a bad post" topic) and "Add User To Your Ignore List" should be all that's needed, IMHO.[/QUOTE]
I think you overrate the effectiveness of the "Report Bad Post" button.

Edit: Also, the "Ignore list" feature is too poorly executed to be used effectively. Instead of ignoring the intended user, it merely shields their post with a big flag that says "So and so just posted, and he is ignored." It's not like you get to forget about their existance, as you would imply. Every time somebody on your ignore list posts, you get to see that eye sore, which becomes more annoying than the content that you were originally trying to ignore. Fix the feature, then maybe we'll talk (assuming it's even plausable to fix propperly).

Also, about Led's "what is and is not a bad post" topic, this is an example of my point about "better selection of mods", or "different selection of mods". I'm not saying that Led is a bad mod, but that whole topic devolved into Led + co flaming anybody who misreported a topic. We want less flaming as a whole on this board, and we have mods doing it. What does that say?

You offer the suggestion of tutorials for how to use these features, but honestly, how many people read tutorials/FAQs/sticky threads/TOSs? And even then, you're using that as an excuse to flame them if they don't follow these things flawlessly. "WHY DID YOU REPORT THAT POST! DIDN'T YOU READ THE FAQ NOOOOOB!?"

Instead of giving excuses to the abusors and blaming the victims, why not just cut the abuse off at the root?

[quote name='evilmax17']
Instead of giving excuses to the abusors and blaming the victims, why not just cut the abuse off at the root?[/QUOTE]
More bannings? I'm definately up for that. :bouncy:

[quote name='Greetard']

So.
Who have I recently shit-listed?...

VGM was a dick.
U2k is a fucking moron.
Omega2 was a douche.
Lina was a bitch.
Slidecage is semi-retarded.
Sequoia was a post-whore.
Sikz de Nye created that thread.
And after seeing that 360 thread, ThaGoat is on it too.

[/QUOTE]
high fives! i made "the list"

[quote name='evilmax17']I think you overrate the effectiveness of the "Report Bad Post" button.

Edit: Also, the "Ignore list" feature is too poorly executed to be used effectively. Instead of ignoring the intended user, it merely shields their post with a big flag that says "So and so just posted, and he is ignored." It's not like you get to forget about their existance, as you would imply. Every time somebody on your ignore list posts, you get to see that eye sore, which becomes more annoying than the content that you were originally trying to ignore. Fix the feature, then maybe we'll talk (assuming it's even plausable to fix propperly).

Also, about Led's "what is and is not a bad post" topic, this is an example of my point about "better selection of mods", or "different selection of mods". I'm not saying that Led is a bad mod, but that whole topic devolved into Led + co flaming anybody who misreported a topic. We want less flaming as a whole on this board, and we have mods doing it. What does that say?

You offer the suggestion of tutorials for how to use these features, but honestly, how many people read tutorials/FAQs/sticky threads/TOSs? And even then, you're using that as an excuse to flame them if they don't follow these things flawlessly. "WHY DID YOU REPORT THAT POST! DIDN'T YOU READ THE FAQ NOOOOOB!?"

Instead of giving excuses to the abusors and blaming the victims, why not just cut the abuse off at the root?[/QUOTE]
:roll:

[quote name='thagoat']high fives! i made "the list"[/QUOTE]

And that's the main reason why the list is a problem.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the special newbies only forum. I'm afraid once you create it, there will be even less tolerance in the other forums for newbie mistakes. The flames will change from "READ THE FAQS NOOBER!!!" to "GO BACK TO THE NOOB FORUM!!!" Let's stick with the welcome email idea.

[quote name='woobacca']I'm starting to have second thoughts about the special newbies only forum. I'm afraid once you create it, there will be even less tolerance in the other forums for newbie mistakes. The flames will change from "READ THE FAQS NOOBER!!!" to "GO BACK TO THE NOOB FORUM!!!" Let's stick with the welcome email idea.[/QUOTE]
i applaud your effort in welcoming noobs, but i dont know about the email thing. i know whenver i get a pre-generated email, it ends up in the trash or the spam filter catches it. as soon as i see "welcome to.." i hit delete. i think we should hire strippers to welcome newbies with the proceeds of this site. you know,"give back to the community" we'll start a cheap ass stripper fund. yeah, thats the ticket.

I'm glad that someone noticed all the hate that was being generated toward the "newbies." I remember not too long ago someone wrote something really rude and nasty to me just because I started a thread that so-called already existed. Its funny how bold people are over the internet, but they can never say those things when they're face-to-face with someone. I just wanna say thanx to all the people that are understanding to what its like to be a newbie.

P. S.- how many post do u have to have in order to "graduate" from newbie?

[quote name='thagoat']i applaud your effort in welcoming noobs, but i dont know about the email thing. i know whenver i get a pre-generated email, it ends up in the trash or the spam filter catches it. as soon as i see "welcome to.." i hit delete. i think we should hire strippers to welcome newbies with the proceeds of this site. you know,"give back to the community" we'll start a cheap ass stripper fund. yeah, thats the ticket.[/QUOTE]
I think when someone is actually taking the time to register on a board, they should expect some kind of introductory email and not automatically delete it. Or at least check the spam/bulk folder for emails from a new/unrecognized sender. Maybe your point is that the same guys who don't take the time to check their emails will also not take the time to read a board's FAQ before posting away.

[quote name='woobacca']I think when someone is actually taking the time to register on a board, they should expect some kind of introductory email and not automatically delete it. Or at least check the spam/bulk folder for emails from a new/unrecognized sender. Maybe your point is that the same guys who don't take the time to check their emails will also not take the time to read a board's FAQ before posting away.[/QUOTE]
just speakin for myself, i get about 100 spams a day, so im not checking through it all. i dump it. i know i wouldn't read it, but others might.

[quote name='Starwishi']P. S.- how many post do u have to have in order to "graduate" from newbie?[/QUOTE]I haven't seen this in any FAQ; it might be worth putting in there. It's
0 - Cheap Ass Newbie
100 - Cheap Ass Regular
300 - Cheap Ass Veteran
500 - Cheap Ass All-Star
1000 - You can make your own

[quote name='thagoat']just speakin for myself, i get about 100 spams a day, so im not checking through it all. i dump it. i know i wouldn't read it, but others might.[/quote]Damn that's a lot of spam.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Because bannings are so effective, with proxies and dynamic IPs and all... ;)[/QUOTE]

True. It is unbelievably easy to get by even IP bans.

Bans won't solve problems for those who are interested in "revenge" and have even a little computer knowledge.

Hm... my $.02 -

- I try not to flame new guys unless its a blatantly stupid topic and they obviously joined just to be a douche
- Like the idea of the newbie email
thats it, I really try not to think after midnight

[quote name='zewone']More bannings? I'm definately up for that. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That would only work if all the mods were on the same page.
History suggests that is not the case.

So far Karma, Crash, and myself have contributed to the Newbie Guide. If anyone wishes to help, please PM any of the three of us or IM us.

[quote name='thagoat']just speakin for myself, i get about 100 spams a day, so im not checking through it all. i dump it. i know i wouldn't read it, but others might.[/QUOTE]

Dude get a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back