Newbie Flaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='demomanTNA']I'll second that... even if he hates Nintendogs. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Is his title still "I HATE NINTENDOGS"? Whenever I read that, I think "Nintendo GS? What the fuck is that?" Then I get it. :lol:

[quote name='Greetard']
There is a rhyme and reason for what I do. Moxio said the thread I made was a joke on the first page. It wasn't supposed to be. The idiots who posted in it made it a joke. I gave cocky noobs a place to congregate- they should be happy. It was the other pricks who turned it into a fucking concentration camp.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression. I don't put you at any fault.

What I meant was the thread created isn't very inviting. I agree, it has been turned into a joke, and we need to make this issue more serious.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Is his title still "I HATE NINTENDOGS"? Whenever I read that, I think "Nintendo GS? What the fuck is that?" Then I get it. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked it still is.

[quote name='masha']What's the difference?! #-o [/QUOTE]

Hey I'll admit that at one point I was a noob around here but one thing that I can hand down to others from my years of posting on message forums is this piece of advice that should be put in the CAG FAQ...

Don't act like a noob on the forum even though you are a noob. You will earn people's respect much faster that way.

Heck, I just came here and started posting like as if I was a regular around here (during the CC $4.99 sale in 2004). Glad I came as I've said on more than one occasion. Many of you folks really do brighten my day, and finding all the deals makes it worthwhile. Not to mention even on occasion contributing myself to help out in return. :D

Being an ass towards n00bs is unnecessary.

I've always really enjoyed Cheap Ass Gamer, because it feels much more personal than a site like GameFAQs. Not that I'm saying that the site plays a big role in my life or anything, it's just that if I need some advice on something, I can usually post and hear voices of reason with minimal flaming.

[quote name='Brak']Or did he use the word "thier" on you yet? A variant of the word "their". :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, make fun of the dyslexic. Quite funny.

[quote name='JSweeney']Yeah, make fun of the dyslexic. Quite funny.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. That was my intent. Afterall, I secretly knew you were dyslexic and all.

A little back on topic, a list of trolls/assholes would be a terrible idea. The community has no right to determine who they want to be singled out and put on a list like a fucking pedophile. Who are we/you/they to decide who is asshole enough to be put on the list? That's for Cheapy and the mods, if this idea is actually realized, which I sincerly hope it's not. I think CheapyMom has the right mindset with her warning note idea. Just tell new members people can be dicks and it will eventually pass. Make it polite, informative, and to the point.

[quote name='Xevious']I never got hassled when I was a newbie here.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. You joined around when I did, and the boards were alot more friendly than they are now. People actually were willing to help noobs then.

[quote name='karmapolice']I dont understand why people insist on flaming newbie's for no reason. Almost every other thread I go into, it somehow has turned into a noob flame war. We were all noobs once and I dont understand how the boards have become like this.

I remember when I first joined, some of you may remember, I started a thread about GBA Roms. I had no idea that this was not allowed to be discussed (I believe we didnt have the FAQ yet). Everyone that posted gave me a polite response along the lines of: "Roms arent allowed to be discussed on here, in the future please dont post about them". All rather polite and informative responses, no flaming. I sent a formal appology PM to Cheapy and all was well.

I dont understand why the boards have become filled with hate and flaming. I know there was always been flaming but it wasnt always to noobs. It was usually to some dumbass like cloudspek. Sorry for the rant, but I just dont think its right that people are always flaming noobs for not knowing what we know, but we've been here alot longer too. I know we have the Faqs, but I dont think every noob knows about them.

I just thought I would voice my opinion on the matter. I would love to see how many others agree with me on this issue.

/end rant.

~Karma[/QUOTE]
Agree with you 100%.

[quote name='mmercer13']Agree with you 100%.[/QUOTE]

Im glad that so many people on the boards agree with me. With the amount of flaming I have seen lately I thought I would have a minimal turn out with alot of responses like thagoats.

normally it is me gettting flammed and I passed the noob stage long long time ago
wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it is not me for once time to party

You're fighting a losing battle...we've been through this a hundred times. 95% of the guys here are overweight losers who've never touched a pussy, let alone a nice pair of breasts. This is their little way of getting back at people for such a worthless life. Most of the guys here in this thread will talk about how you're right, and then be doing it in an hour. You just got to ignore it, or become a lurker like me. After a while, CAG becomes a secondary issue, and a good place to find cheap games... well, you dont really have that anymore either. I cant remember the last time a good deal came through, and cheapy pretty much just lets everyone make money for him through the site while paying them nothing and him being able to move around in New York and Japan. So while people are bitching about the PS3 being better than the Xbox 360 - Cheapy is moving to Japan and having a real life paid for by the retards of the internet.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You're fighting a losing battle...we've been through this a hundred times. 95% of the guys here are overweight losers who've never touched a pussy, let alone a nice pair of breasts. This is their little way of getting back at people for such a worthless life. Most of the guys here in this thread will talk about how you're right, and then be doing it in an hour. You just got to ignore it, or become a lurker like me. After a while, CAG becomes a secondary issue, and a good place to find cheap games... well, you dont really have that anymore either. I cant remember the last time a good deal came through, and cheapy pretty much just lets everyone make money for him through the site while paying them nothing and him being able to move around in New York and Japan. So while people are bitching about the PS3 being better than the Xbox 360 - Cheapy is moving to Japan and having a real life paid for by the retards of the internet.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']A little back on topic, a list of trolls/assholes would be a terrible idea. The community has no right to determine who they want to be singled out and put on a list like a fucking pedophile. Who are we/you/they to decide who is asshole enough to be put on the list? That's for Cheapy and the mods, if this idea is actually realized, which I sincerly hope it's not. I think CheapyMom has the right mindset with her warning note idea. Just tell new members people can be dicks and it will eventually pass. Make it polite, informative, and to the point.[/QUOTE]

^Probably the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

I didn't see the post about making a list of asshole posters/flamers, but what kind of steaming pile of Nazi shitkicking anal cheese came up with that idea? Lets get together and come up with a list of ne'r-do-wells? Why don't we just put mandatory pink triangles on their avatars ?

For the most part, I see idiotic flaming posts being made as a reflection of idiotic OP's. Most around here rarely flame someone for no reason, and if getting flamed as a noob makes you think two or three times, do some searching or reading before posting another inane, redundant, or blatantly retarded topic, then I say keep the fires burning.

How many topics do we get after OP's that say "it's Soooooo hard to use search"? Is that a flame or is that instruction ? Then there's the classic "What should I play/buy next" topics that beg for some good hearting ribbing. Or how about the "i've been absent for 3 months, what did I miss" topics that prove just how lazy gamers are when it comes to doing their own research or reading. The "where can I buy a 360" topic must have been made by a 12 year old closet dweller who's never heard of or been into a retail outlet in his short, disinfranchised life. It's so easy to post on the internet and not have to muster some initiative in the world of real things and living beings.

You sensitive metros out there need to grow a thicker skin. I know sissy-girls out there who can take more punnishment than some of you mouse-mastrubating-web-waifs.

Lastly, the web needs more grammar police. Some of you should be ashamed of your communication skills (or lack thereof). I don't care if this isn't a high school english class, when you sound, or write, stupidly, people will treat you as such. And you are helping to give gamers a bad reputation as being mind-numbed idiots.

[quote name='bmulligan']^Probably the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

I didn't see the post about making a list of asshole posters/flamers, but what kind of steaming pile of Nazi shitkicking anal cheese came up with that idea? Lets get together and come up with a list of ne'r-do-wells? Why don't we just put mandatory pink triangles on their avatars ?

For the most part, I see idiotic flaming posts being made as a reflection of idiotic OP's. Most around here rarely flame someone for no reason, and if getting flamed as a noob makes you think two or three times, do some searching or reading before posting another inane, redundant, or blatantly retarded topic, then I say keep the fires burning.

How many topics do we get after OP's that say "it's Soooooo hard to use search"? Is that a flame or is that instruction ? Then there's the classic "What should I play/buy next" topics that beg for some good hearting ribbing. Or how about the "i've been absent for 3 months, what did I miss" topics that prove just how lazy gamers are when it comes to doing their own research or reading. The "where can I buy a 360" topic must have been made by a 12 year old closet dweller who's never heard of or been into a retail outlet in his short, disinfranchised life. It's so easy to post on the internet and not have to muster some initiative in the world of real things and living beings.

You sensitive metros out there need to grow a thicker skin. I know sissy-girls out there who can take more punnishment than some of you mouse-mastrubating-web-waifs.

Lastly, the web needs more grammar police. Some of you should be ashamed of your communication skills (or lack thereof). I don't care if this isn't a high school english class, when you sound, or write, stupidly, people will treat you as such. And you are helping to give gamers a bad reputation as being mind-numbed idiots.[/QUOTE]
Irony!

[quote name='bmulligan']^Probably the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

Lastly, the web needs more grammar police. Some of you should be ashamed of your communication skills (or lack thereof). I don't care if this isn't a high school english class, when you sound, or write, stupidly, people will treat you as such. And you are helping to give gamers a bad reputation as being mind-numbed idiots.[/QUOTE

wow don't hold back any. and I agree there are times and post that deserve to be flamed. hell I have made a few bad thread my self I am sure. that being said flamers unite and flame on

Lastly, the web needs more grammar police. Some of you should be ashamed of your communication skills (or lack thereof). I don't care if this isn't a high school english class, when you sound, or write, stupidly, people will treat you as such. And you are helping to give gamers a bad reputation as being mind-numbed idiots.[/QUOTE]

wow well said with that I say flamers unite and flame on

Preach on by brothers!!! Amen!!

[quote name='jmcc']Irony![/QUOTE]

Nice to know you could take a break from wanking and spew at least ONE word before your climax... ;)

[quote name='bmulligan']Nice to know you could take a break from wanking and spew at least ONE word before your climax... ;)[/QUOTE]
The lesson is, as always: make sure your post is spotless when you're going to complain about spelling or grammar in other people's posts.

[quote name='bmulligan']I didn't see the post about making a list of asshole posters/flamers, but what kind of steaming pile of Nazi shitkicking anal cheese came up with that idea?[/QUOTE]

Nixon.

A big part of the problem is that the site has grown too big, and there hasn't been any necessary adjustments made. As it stands, we have 5 "active" mods (and I use those quotes to their fullest effect) governing over 40,000 users, and this simply isn't enough. Threads are being derailed, users are being insulted for no reason, and nothing is being done about anything.

There are plenty of solutions to all of the problems people are recognizing:

-More mods: We have 1 active mod for every 8,000 users.

-Better selection of mods: Look for users that actually care about CAG (like karma. For making a thread like this. It shows that he has concern.) Look for users that are effective (like Scorch. With a little sensativity training he would be an excellent mod.) DON'T look for your buddies, or people you play Halo with. It's a poor way to govern a site (just like it's a poor way to govern a country...and we don't need another Harriet Miers mod appointed here at CAG).

-Learn what works and what doesn't: Time has shown that people don't pay attention to sticky threads, they don't read FAQs, and they don't read "rules of the site". Remedy this. Make a short, easy to read PM that gets automatically sent out. Make an entire forum for new people (people see whole forums, they don't see single posts).

-Accept and admit that things aren't perfect: You're not George Bush, you should be able to see that CAG isn't the place it was a year ago, and same for the year before that. Accept it, and take action to try and fix it.

In the end, it's all numbers. How high is CAG on the big boards list. How many users and posts does CAG have? In the short run, it's beneficial to let threads run wild and for trolls to post as much as they can (more posts = better site! Right!?) But in the long run, you're driving away new users, and you're destining CAG for stagnation.

Think for the future, and listen to your userbase.

[quote name='evilmax17']Look for users that are effective (like Scorch. With a little sensativity training he would be an excellent mod.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah... No.

[quote name='evilmax17']A big part of the problem is that the site has grown too big, and there hasn't been any necessary adjustments made. As it stands, we have 5 "active" mods (and I use those quotes to their fullest effect) governing over 40,000 users, and this simply isn't enough. Threads are being derailed, users are being insulted for no reason, and nothing is being done about anything.

There are plenty of solutions to all of the problems people are recognizing:

-More mods: We have 1 active mod for every 8,000 users.

-Better selection of mods: Look for users that actually care about CAG (like karma. For making a thread like this. It shows that he has concern.) Look for users that are effective (like Scorch. With a little sensativity training he would be an excellent mod.) DON'T look for your buddies, or people you play Halo with. It's a poor way to govern a site (just like it's a poor way to govern a country...and we don't need another Harriet Miers mod appointed here at CAG).

-Learn what works and what doesn't: Time has shown that people don't pay attention to sticky threads, they don't read FAQs, and they don't read "rules of the site". Remedy this. Make a short, easy to read PM that gets automatically sent out. Make an entire forum for new people (people see whole forums, they don't see single posts).

-Accept and admit that things aren't perfect: You're not George Bush, you should be able to see that CAG isn't the place it was a year ago, and same for the year before that. Accept it, and take action to try and fix it.

In the end, it's all numbers. How high is CAG on the big boards list. How many users and posts does CAG have? In the short run, it's beneficial to let threads run wild and for trolls to post as much as they can (more posts = better site! Right!?) But in the long run, you're driving away new users, and you're destining CAG for stagnation.

Think for the future, and listen to your userbase.[/QUOTE]

You are completely right. I never realized the lack of mods compared to users here. That could very well be part of the problem. I think we should have around a 1/500 or 1/100 ratio if possible. I really dont want to see this site go into a gamefaqs route. I hope that this thread gets heard by the big man, and hopefully he will do something (he has yet to PM me back). Im hoping in some way that we can make this site a more pleasant and more family like community, like it used to be.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah... No.[/QUOTE]

It wouldnt be terrible. Scorch tends to have a attitute problem, but I think its just a result of people not really doing their job before asking for help. He's actually a nice guy, just loses his temper quickly (or so ive noticed).

The mod situation isn't nearly as dire as it's made out to be here. There's 40k+ users on the site, but how many post with any regularity? It's more like 5 mods for less than 500 users, I'd wager.

[quote name='karmapolice']You are completely right. I never realized the lack of mods compared to users here. That could very well be part of the problem. I think we should have around a 1/500 or 1/100 ratio if possible. I really dont want to see this site go into a gamefaqs route. I hope that this thread gets heard by the big man, and hopefully he will do something (he has yet to PM me back). Im hoping in some way that we can make this site a more pleasant and more family like community, like it used to be.[/QUOTE]
sounds like youre running for office. on a different note, is your price negotiable for your psp? im leaning toward buying one.

[quote name='thagoat']sounds like youre running for office. on a different note, is your price negotiable for your psp? im leaning toward buying one.[/QUOTE]

No im really not, but if enough people want me to be then I would. A couple people in this thread have mentioned it so I dunno. As for the psp PM me or post in the respective thread and I will get back to you.

[quote name='thagoat']sounds like youre running for office. on a different note, is your price negotiable for your psp? im leaning toward buying one.[/QUOTE]
Now, see, this is a place where flaming could occur. Instead, I suggest asking in the thread dedicated specifically to such a question, instead of making any snarky comments. It's right here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75641

[quote name='jmcc']The mod situation isn't nearly as dire as it's made out to be here. There's 40k+ users on the site, but how many post with any regularity? It's more like 5 mods for less than 500 users, I'd wager.[/QUOTE]
Stats:
12,017 users have posted at least once.
1,770 users have posted at least 100 times.
3,500 users have only posted once.
7,500 have 10 or less posts.

Now i'm being liberal by setting my working definiton of an "active poster" as a user with at least 100 posts, and I'm also being liberal by saying we have 5 fully active mods. I'm putting these numbers in your favor.

If you were to take a Nintendo-ist approach, you would ask yourself "12,000 users posting is alright, but what about those 30,000 that never have? WHY haven't they, and what can we do to make them post?"

There was a really good and eye-opening thread awhile back, asking lurkers to come out and explain why they lurk (and they did). One of the users explained just this situation as his reason. Why would he want to post when most of the community wasn't worth talking to? I'll find the thread and post it in a minute, but it's worthy to note that this is a fixable problem.

From ATTN: If you are a Lurker please don't be shy, show yourself..

[quote name='Stace (self proclaimed lurker)']People "lurk" because there is a large portion of the CAG crowd that seems to make it their duty to harrass Newbies as much as possible. Honestly, many people just don't want to deal with that. Lurkers may also find it hard to jump into conversations that are going on among cliques of CAGers that have inside jokes and preexisting knowledge of one another. At least those are my thoughts. I've been frequenting CAG since the beginning of 2003, but didn't register on the board until last year. I would read a few threads here and there and see the way people with low post counts were treated. It's pretty silly that many people often base the value of someone's words upon how many times they speak and not what they say.

So...anyways... hello.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='evilmax17']Stats:
12,017 users have posted at least once.
1,770 users have posted at least 100 times.

Now i'm being liberal by setting my working definiton of an "active poster" as a user with at least 100 posts, and I'm also being liberal by saying we have 5 fully active mods. I'm putting these numbers in your favor.

If you were to take a Nintendo-ist approach, you would ask yourself "12,000 users posting is alright, but what about those 30,000 that never have? WHY haven't they, and what can we do to make them post?"

There was a really good and eye-opening thread awhile back, asking lurkers to come out and explain why they lurk (and they did). One of the users explained just this situation as his reason. Why would he want to post when most of the community wasn't worth talking to? I'll find the thread and post it in a minute, but it's worthy to note that this is a fixable problem.[/QUOTE]
About the 12K 1-posters: how many people were involved in trying to win cheapy's stuff?

[quote name='jmcc']About the 12K 1-posters: how many people were involved in trying to win cheapy's stuff?[/QUOTE]
Added stats that would half-answer your question.

[quote name='evilmax17']Added stats that would half-answer your question.[/QUOTE]
Where are you getting stats from, btw? I haven't seen them since the move to this board system.

Wow, this thread really took off

[quote name='evilmax17']

There was a really good and eye-opening thread awhile back, asking lurkers to come out and explain why they lurk (and they did). One of the users explained just this situation as his reason. Why would he want to post when most of the community wasn't worth talking to? I'll find the thread and post it in a minute, but it's worthy to note that this is a fixable problem.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that there is no specific verbage in the TOS for mods to enforce where newbie flaming is concerned. There is a portion regarding harrassing language, etc, but I think that it is generally enforced only when things get really out of hand. You can't really put "Don't be a jerk" into the TOS. And while I think a little good-natured teasing is within reason, we were all noobs at some point, after all, I agree that targetiing noob posts and being a jerk is unneccesary. But is there any actual way to stop it?

[quote name='karmapolice']You are completely right. I never realized the lack of mods compared to users here. That could very well be part of the problem. I think we should have around a 1/500 or 1/100 ratio if possible. I really dont want to see this site go into a gamefaqs route. I hope that this thread gets heard by the big man, and hopefully he will do something (he has yet to PM me back). Im hoping in some way that we can make this site a more pleasant and more family like community, like it used to be.[/QUOTE]
Quality over quantity, my friend. Just because there's a lot of posters it doesn't mean we need a number proportional to that total. I'd say adding a couple more mods could help things run a little more smoothly around here, but nowhere near the amount you may be suggesting. Could you even think of 20+ more posters that would be qualified to handle the job and responsibility?

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Wow, this thread really took off

The problem is that there is no specific verbage in the TOS for mods to enforce where newbie flaming is concerned. There is a portion regarding harrassing language, etc, but I think that it is generally enforced only when things get really out of hand. You can't really put "Don't be a jerk" into the TOS. And while I think a little good-natured teasing is within reason, we were all noobs at some point, after all, I agree that targetiing noob posts and being a jerk is unneccesary. But is there any actual way to stop it?[/QUOTE]

I think we can, if we see it going on we can stop that person. Give them a warning and if they dont stop ban them for a day, if that doesnt help 2 days, and so on. We could also impliment a way that we can ban people from individual threads. Say if a mod saw something getting out of hand and the person didnt stop, they could be banned from posting in that thread. It may sound complicated, but I believe it would work. It may take work and time in the beginning, but it would start to impact the community and people would learn. Making theses boards a better place for everyone.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Quality over quantity, my friend. Just because there's a lot of posters it doesn't mean we need a number proportional to that total. I'd say adding a couple more mods could help things run a little more smoothly around here, but nowhere near the amount you may be suggesting. Could you even think of 20+ more posters that would be qualified to handle the job and responsibility?[/QUOTE]

There are lots of people that havent been here too long, or dont even post that much that would be great people for a mod position. You just gotta look around. I dont think that we have to have people with over a thousand posts being mods. Just because you dont post every day doesnt mean you arent here every day.

[quote name='karmapolice']There are lots of people that havent been here too long, or dont even post that much that would be great people for a mod position. You just gotta look around. I dont think that we have to have people with over a thousand posts being mods. Just because you dont post every day doesnt mean you arent here every day.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but still, you'd rather have people who most posters have heard of before and the mods and Cheapy can definitely get a feel for who that poster is from their posts than from people who've had a couple posts and don't make themselves at least known to the community and the mods in particular. Unless they're friends of the mods or the admins/owner, there's not much chance that a qualified poster with 50 posts who no poster knows to a qualified poster with 5000 posts that most posters know. Most of the mods we have here were active participants of the community and were able to show that they were qualified in some aspect to get the job. Of course, there's probably many posters here that could do the job, but if they don't post to show that ability, they're not going to get much of a chance.

[quote name='karmapolice']It wouldnt be terrible. Scorch tends to have a attitute problem, but I think its just a result of people not really doing their job before asking for help. He's actually a nice guy, just loses his temper quickly (or so ive noticed).[/QUOTE]

I don't think he has an attitude problem, nor does he lose his temper. I think he is a lot like me. Sometimes I am very well intended, but just don't have the best tact in the way I say things (and that comes with lack of tone from typing on the intraweb...).

[quote name='MR ZOOTEMO']And you wonder why we have so many lurkers on the site .[/QUOTE]
I just assumed it was because you needed to be logged in to see the deals forum. Is that no longer true?

Wow, some more good posts, guys. Good to see more people than karma and myself care about this.

I like the idea of more mods, but not too many. Maybe 5 more tops. What I think us regular members could do to help wild threads and bad posts is to actually contact a mod directly, perhaps via AIM, so they can take care of it ASAP. I think the lack of communication is what takes mods such long times to take care of things when they're not on CAG.

[quote name='Moxio']Wow, some more good posts, guys. Good to see more people than karma and myself care about this.

I like the idea of more mods, but not too many. Maybe 5 more tops. What I think us regular members could do to help wild threads and bad posts is to actually contact a mod directly, perhaps via AIM, so they can take care of it ASAP. I think the lack of communication is what takes mods such long times to take care of things when they're not on CAG.[/QUOTE]
Or better yet, you can use our very own PM system. ;)

[quote name='MorPhiend']I don't think he has an attitude problem, nor does he lose his temper. I think he is a lot like me. Sometimes I am very well intended, but just don't have the best tact in the way I say things (and that comes with lack of tone from typing on the intraweb...).[/QUOTE]

Lack of empathy tends to be a stumbling block for many, many posters.

This entire problem is multifaceted, and it is one that has no easy answers.
There are no quick and easy fixes, though the intial PM explaining in layman's terms some of the more critical issues to the newest of users is a very good idea, especially if it could be easily incorporated into the system (something that would have to be discussed with defender)

A big concern I have is that many of the mods are overtaxed as it is, and it is a completely thankless job. People love taking the easy swings at the moderator, and the moderator has to grin and bear it, even though it's not uncommon for their decisions to be immedaiatedly overturned (look at the ban\unban issues Punqsux has sufffered through).

Most of the mods are doing the absolute best job they can in the system that exists, and all they're getting for it is shat on by most of the userbase.

At the moment, save for a few idealists, I can imagine why anyone would want to be a moderator.

I think Moxio should be one of the new mods. You have shown outstanding character since Ive been here. Ive wondered why you havent become a mod yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back