NFL 2010-2011 Season Discussion Thread

[quote name='bvharris']I assume you mean the one which they won by 42 points?

How about this one: Their quarterback is approximately one million times better than the guy the other team is trotting out there. And if that fake statistic doesn't do it for you....

On paper, the Patriots are a far better team than the Jets and it's really not that close. Football Outsiders has this Patriots team with a 44.7% DVOA (for those who don't follow advanced metrics, that's historically good). Pittsburgh was the only other team in the NFL remotely close.

Their point differential this season is over 140 points better than the Jets is and, more importantly, their +27 turnover differential on the season is also one of the best of all time. For reference, the next closest in the NFL was Pittsburgh at +14, barely over half as good. They forced the most turnovers in the NFL and committed the fewest. That's a recipe for winning football.

I could keep going, but I think my point is made. So essentially, by every conceivable measure the Patriots were the best team in the NFL this season and it was not even close. That's just a few reasons why they "should" win this game. That's not to say they will win it, because of course the Jets can win, but to say there aren't compelling reasons for the Pats to be favored (implying it's essentially a toss-up) is just ridiculous.

Edit: That's not to say that I'm not nervous for the game. As a Pats fan I'm nervous before every game, and a playoff loss to the Jets would be the worst feeling I could imagine. That's how you can tell the bandwagon Boston fans from the lifers by the way, the latter group might be confident about our teams but we're constantly filled with a sense of unending dread from memories of when our teams sucked terribly, and we never lose that. :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anything can happen, I'm not a Jets or Patriots fan.

I mean a clear example is the Seahawks beating the Saints in round one, the Saints had beat the Seahawks 34 to 13 (I believe) i nthe regular season, and the stat differentual was mamoth.

Hopefully it will be a better game then the blowout a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Amblix']Yeah, anything can happen, I'm not a Jets or Patriots fan.

I mean a clear example is the Seahawks beating the Saints in round one, the Saints had beat the Seahawks 34 to 13 (I believe) i nthe regular season, and the stat differentual was mamoth.

Hopefully it will be a better game then the blowout a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
I was one of the only people I know who picked the Seahawks over the Saints, but it was mostly because of how beaten up the Saints were going into the playoffs more than anything the Seahawks were bringing to the table. As far as the Jet's chances go, i don't think they have any. They're not a bad team, but the Pats are playing such good football lately I'm not sure anyone has a chance to beat them at this time.

[quote name='SpeedyG']I was one of the only people I know who picked the Seahawks over the Saints, but it was mostly because of how beaten up the Saints were going into the playoffs more than anything the Seahawks were bringing to the table. As far as the Jet's chances go, i don't think they have any. They're not a bad team, but the Pats are playing such good football lately I'm not sure anyone has a chance to beat them at this time.[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets have a chance. I wouldn't put it near 50% but maybe at 25%. They are division rivals so you can throw some stuff out the window - those are usually the closest games. The Jets beat the Pats earlier this year so they can do it (although the Pats have completely made over their team since then). Brady could also go down with an injury and they are completely dependent on him. I'll be shocked if this isn't a 10 point game though.

Yeah, of course the Jets have a chance. Any given Sunday and all that. I'd say my sense is that the Patriots are about 2-to-1 favorites, so I'd give them about a 67% chance of winning, maybe higher. My larger point is that there's no empirical reason to think the Jets are likely to win, so picking them is just a function of "gut feeling" not any sort of evidence.

This was very nicely done by the Post.

jeti.jpg

My guesses:

Falcons over Packers
Bears over Seahawks

Ravens over Steelers
Patriots over Jets

Falcons over Bears
Patriots over Steelers

Patriots over Falcons

[quote name='Tony208']that was nice by the post but Belichick is Palpatine, not Vader
darth-sidious-bill-belichick.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I thought so too. We are dealing with Jets fans though... And that picture of Rex is priceless.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Not even close to being as clever or amusing as Welker.

Also, it's gotta sting for Mangold that the best he can do to get his foot in the door (cheesy, but couldn't resist) with the smack talk is by using twitter. Press conference>twitter[/QUOTE]

How many Jets does it take to write a lame smack talking tweet? I'm enjoying the mental image of their offensive line huddled around a laptop giggling like schoolgirls as they come up with that gem. :D

The irony of course is that 2007 was Welker's first year in New England so if any players did derive some sort of benefit from Spygate, it wouldn't have been him. Can't let that stand in the way of comic gold though.

[quote name='bvharris']How many Jets does it take to write a lame smack talking tweet? I'm enjoying the mental image of their offensive line huddled around a laptop giggling like schoolgirls as they come up with that gem. :D

The irony of course is that 2007 was Welker's first year in New England so if any players did derive some sort of benefit from Spygate, it wouldn't have been him. Can't let that stand in the way of comic gold though.[/QUOTE]

How lame is it that the Patriots' "smack" is through subtle feet references in a press conference? If you're going to talk smack, do it well. Welker probably didn't even intentionally try to talk smack there.

[quote name='madbst']Welker probably didn't even intentionally try to talk smack there.[/QUOTE]

There's roughly a 100% chance you're wrong about that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']My guesses:

Falcons over Packers
Bears over Seahawks

Ravens over Steelers
Patriots over Jets

Falcons over Bears
Patriots over Steelers

Patriots over Falcons[/QUOTE]

Im going to assume you mis-typed or...

For this week:

Falcons over Packers
Seahawks over Bears

Steelers over Ravens (tossup, but I have more faith in Ben than Flacco)
Patriots over Jets

Packers over Falcons
Seahawks over Bears

I want this just for the farce and spectacle a losing team hosting the NFC Championship game would create.

Pats over Jets
Ravens over Steelers

I think the Ravens have a better chance of shutting up NE fans next week, so I'll choose them this week.

My predictions:

Packers over Falcons
Bears over Seahawks

Pats over Jets
Steelers over Ravens

Next week:

Bears over Packers
Pats over Steelers

SB:

Pats over Bears

[quote name='tiddled06']Im going to assume you mis-typed or...[/QUOTE]

Mis-edited as I'd cut and pasted from another post. Steelers over Ravens is my pick.

Fumble on the 2 yd line brought in by Ravens. Oh boy, that was just sad to watch. Great awareness and capitalizing on behalf of Redding though. That's already the second instance of the Ravens being keenly aware of what's going on on the field. First being the kickoff return whistle not being blown on the first tackle. And in both instances it forced the Steelers to burn their challenges. That could come back to haunt them.

When did Auburn and Oregon slip into Pittsburgh/Baltimore uniforms? We saw the odd tackle when the kick returner didn't technically touch the ground and now the odd fumble return TD by Baltimore where nobody on Pittsburgh thought it was a fumble. A sloppy start for Pittsburgh so far since I always see players pick up loose balls, fumble or not, and start running for the endzone just in case it was a live ball.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2011/1...on-very-interested-in-joining-browns-previous

Looks like Dick Jauron, another of Holmgren's former coaches, will be interviewing for the Browns' DC job. I guess Rob Ryan doesn't have a good chance of returning with Holmgren's picks of his former proteges for GM and HC. If he doesn't return, I'd hope that the ST coordinator, Brad Seely, returns since he's the one coordinator that's been great for the past two years.

choketilmore strikes again letting another overrated team climb back into the game hopefully new england takes care of business tomorrow to not let another overrated team get close

Harbaugh's locker room half time speech:

"Alright guys, now that we've surprised everyone out there let's go out and do it again. I want you to give this game away every possible way. We're gonna go out there and hold them on a touchback. Joe, buddy, I need you to go out there and fumble some snaps and better yet I wanna see some excellent interceptions. Those fans out there think we've already won this game, let's do our best to prove them wrong."

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Harbaugh's locker room half time speech:

"Alright guys, now that we've surprised everyone out there let's go out and do it again. I want you to give this game away every possible way. We're gonna go out there and hold them on a touchback. Joe, buddy, I need you to go out and do your best Brett Favre impersonation. Those fans out there think we've already won this game, let's do our best to prove them wrong."[/QUOTE]

fixed but either way works

[quote name='gbpackers94']Joe flacco is not going to win the ravens a super bowl. He's just not good enough.[/QUOTE]

Not this year anyway. :D

Better ship flacco ass out cause hes done, no use in staying with a team when you can never get over the hump vs Rapesburger and the stillers when it actually matters. Its safe to say Baltimore completely gave this game away refs didn't do them any favors either but then again i forgot this is shitsburgs playing they usually get that Manning/Brady style favoritism. How do you play perfect as can be 1 half then come out the 2nd half looking like the 07 lions baffles me. Oh well on to the slackers

[quote name='faceturd']That wasn't Flacco's fault. Boldin dropped a TD, Housh dropped the 1st down.[/QUOTE]

He also overthrew heap, which would have been a first down.

Your talking about 1 of like 25 passes... Flacco played well, we all knew his limitations. When it really mattered, he was let down (not true for every game, but was for this one).

bread's done
Back