NHL 09 CAG Team - CAG Game Night - Fridays @ 10 PM EST

[quote name='striker199']is there a cap to the size of the team?[/quote]

50 people. But right now we have 35 people who actually joined in game.

That last game we played was great. We even had 30 shots!

[quote name='Pure Apathy']50 people. But right now we have 35 people who actually joined in game.

That last game we played was great. We even had 30 shots![/QUOTE]

Cool can I get an invite?
GT: sTRIKER1999

[quote name='striker199']Cool can I get an invite?
GT: sTRIKER1999[/quote]

Yeah you can. I'm getting ready to head out for work, so you may get an invite from Matt Young sometime today. If not, I'll send you an invite later tonight after I get home.

I think something we need to work on is not being offsides. Its one thing to be a step in front of the puck and cross first, I did that a couple times. Its another to be 10+ feet across the blue line before the puck even reaches the line.

And I thought there had to be a minimum of 3 human players. We kept getting opponents that had 2.

[quote name='Wpark83']We just lost 1-0, me and some other guy. Really shouldn't have. I want to win damn it![/QUOTE]

Aye that was me, had no idea my online controls were different for awhile :9

would have been a lot better if our AI players would have shot.

Sorry about last night. My power went out in the middle of the game, didn't come back till this morning. I was pretty pissed.

You can't look at club stats online can you? Like, EA doesn't have a Hockey League website with all the teams and stuff?

[quote name='SVxM']One of our win doesn't seem to be recorded. I wonder why... We won 1-0 on the OT.[/quote]

Maybe it is still updating? I will be getting on here in 20-30 mins.

It seems to miss games from time to time -- I never got credit for our game last night that I get a pair of assists in.

It's extremely hard to even get IN a game it seems. Ok we got 6 people, searching...quickmatch game found! This game is no longer available. Repeat. Gave up for tonight. Hopefully they fix this stuff soon.

[quote name='wcraigw']It's extremely hard to even get IN a game it seems. Ok we got 6 people, searching...quickmatch game found! This game is no longer available. Repeat. Gave up for tonight. Hopefully they fix this stuff soon.[/quote]
Same for me -- will try again later, but back to single player Be a Pro mode (just made it to the NHL on my goalie :D)

I hope its ok to post this here if not I will remove it.

If anybody wants to join a regular league for NHL 09 I want to start one up in the next few days would like to get about 4-6 more teams only looking for active people who would have time for maybe 2 games a week.

Here are the team owners and the teams that they are in control of.
1. ajh2298-Penguins
2. Pure Apathy-Blackhawks
3. Wpark83-Ducks
4. Matt Young-Kings
5. DestroVega-Devils
6. TheRock88-Sharks
7. Danked-Wild
8. ivanctorres-Rangers
9. dmes65-Thrashers
10. thatstoobad-Red Wings
11. SVxM-Canadiens
12. Gillums-Bruins

Please post in this thread if interested.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194800

[quote name='ajh2298']I hope its ok to post this here if not I will remove it.

If anybody wants to join a regular league for NHL 09 I want to start one up in the next few days would like to get about 4-6 more teams only looking for active people who would have time for maybe 2 games a week.

Here are the team owners and the teams that they are in control of.
1. ajh2298-Penguins
2. Pure Apathy-Blackhawks
3. Wpark83-Ducks
4. Matt Young-Kings
5. DestroVega-Devils
6. TheRock88-Sharks
7. Danked-Wild
8. ivanctorres-Rangers
9. dmes65-Thrashers
10. thatstoobad-Red Wings
11. SVxM-Canadiens
12. Gillums-Bruins

Please post in this thread if interested.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194800[/QUOTE]

No, you bastard! Get that shit out of here!

I kid, I kid. I think JimmieMac would liekly be interested in joining.

What do you guys think about maybe having a main "NHL" CAG team and a secondary "AHL" CAG team?

I was thinking once EA gets their shit straightened out with the game, we should have two different CAG teams. One team will have the more experienced players playing on it, and the other team will have inexperienced players on it.

In order to choose who goes on which team, we could use the skater rating letter grade to determine who plays for which team. Once the grades and stats start being tracked again, we could give everyone a week or so to play games and work on their stats and skater grade. At the end of the week, we could form our two different clubs.

I believe this will give everyone more incentive to play their position and try to play the best at all times. If someone on the NHL CAG team starts to struggle and has their skater grade drop to a certain level, we could send them down to the AHL CAG team to work on their skills. We can also call up players from the AHL team as well when they are doing good.

We could also try rotating a few of the experienced players at a time down to the AHL team to help the others work on their skills in the game and hopefully make them a better player.

I'm not really sure if most of you will like this idea or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see. I just know our record right now is terrible and I'm trying to come up with a way to make the club interesting and to get the best out of each player when we play.

If we end up following through with this, I plan on deleting the current CAG club and starting out fresh with the two new clubs. We will all keep our individual skater grades and stats from the games we've already played, and the only thing that will change is our overall record for the club and trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pure Apathy']What do you guys think about maybe having a main "NHL" CAG team and a secondary "AHL" CAG team?[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, though I like the current setup as I'm more likely to find a game with more players to draw from. I'd support either way, I guess.

Hey guys, I FINALLY picked up my copy of NHL 09 tonight. I'm amazed at how well put together it is. It really feels like a complete experience...great soundtrack and everything.

PA, I like your idea of breaking up into 2 teams. I had actually thought about this myself when it was first stated that we could have up to 50 members. I know my ego isn't too big to play on the AHL CAG team, just as long as opportunities to move up would still be there. But the flip side of that, of course, is how guys would react to being sent down. Would they just quit? I like the sense of realism it would bring (plus it would probably help bring a better record to CAG), but logistically, would it work?

Anyway, I'm going to go put in my "application" to join the team right now. I'll probably play a few more offline "Be A Pro" games, just to get used to things better, but so far I think I'm doing ok. I used to be a "one-timer whore" (how's THAT for an oxy-moron, haha), but that was in 2K7. This game seems much more realistic about not letting passes get through. Can't wait to get started with the CAG folk!

Edit: Hmm..the OP was last updated on 9/11, but invites were still being sent as of 9/13. I take it invites are the only way in? As a good CAG, I always try to obey the almighty OP, but I see no "join" option. PA or Matt, when one of you guys see this, can you hook me up with an invite? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to be sent down, I would be pissed. But then again, it would be my fault since my bad play was the reason I was going to be sent down. Then I know I would have to work to get my skater grade back up in order to be called back up.

If Matt hasn't sent you an invite by the time I get off work, I'll go ahead and send you one. It'll be a little while before I can though, it'll probably be close to 9 PM CST.

If you guys think 2 teams are the way to go I'd support it, but it seems like alot of administrative work for you guys. Also, unless we have 30-40 people on each of the teams it might make it harder to get into games.

It has been said before, but a huge reason for the bad record is the fact that we have usually had a full team of 6 and we get matched up with teams that have 3 guys (LW/C/RW). This obviously puts out squad at a huge disadvantage and kills your stats grade as you are almost guaranteed to be -3 or worse. I have only played a few games, but that is my expereince so far. Also it has been a bitch to get into games and we have ended up waiting in lobbies and dropping out of games for 15-20 min at a time. This is what happened to me on Friday when I tried to play with PA, MY and some others. We got right into a game and it was 6 CAGs vs. 3 on the other team and got killed. So we decided going forward that we would drop if the other team didn't have a goalie. Almost every game lobby we got in had 2 or 3 people. So we would drop out. We finally decided to split up into groups of 3 and of course every time we got into a lobby the other team had 6 guys and dropped because we didn't have a goalie. After about 20 min of waiting I just bagged it for the night (and weekend).

I know this 6v6 is new and when it works it is a blast, but EA has some serious issues with it right now with matchmaking. That said, I'd like to try to play some games tonight so I'll probably hop on and see if anything has improved with the matchmaking, etc.

I hope they patch this soon. The matchmaking needs work but the AI could use some tweaking too. I was playing with a group of the team, and we kept playing solidly only to have the other team score cheap goals with less than a minute left in a period. We lost several games in a row like this. Sometimes the computer controlled team members will play the puck horribly and toss the puck in a crazy direction or out of the offensive zone.

The game is very fun but that gets so frustrating.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey guys, I FINALLY picked up my copy of NHL 09 tonight. I'm amazed at how well put together it is. It really feels like a complete experience...great soundtrack and everything.

PA, I like your idea of breaking up into 2 teams. I had actually thought about this myself when it was first stated that we could have up to 50 members. I know my ego isn't too big to play on the AHL CAG team, just as long as opportunities to move up would still be there. But the flip side of that, of course, is how guys would react to being sent down. Would they just quit? I like the sense of realism it would bring (plus it would probably help bring a better record to CAG), but logistically, would it work?

Anyway, I'm going to go put in my "application" to join the team right now. I'll probably play a few more offline "Be A Pro" games, just to get used to things better, but so far I think I'm doing ok. I used to be a "one-timer whore" (how's THAT for an oxy-moron, haha), but that was in 2K7. This game seems much more realistic about not letting passes get through. Can't wait to get started with the CAG folk!

Edit: Hmm..the OP was last updated on 9/11, but invites were still being sent as of 9/13. I take it invites are the only way in? As a good CAG, I always try to obey the almighty OP, but I see no "join" option. PA or Matt, when one of you guys see this, can you hook me up with an invite? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Invite sent.

[quote name='Calico']wow, the teams record is only 16-65? ouch.[/quote]

yeah, i had 2 goals to secure a win last night... score!

[quote name='Matt Young']Invite sent.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the invite Matt! Just curious, but how come my BAP's name doesn't show up next to my gamertag on the club roster? Do I have to play in a game first, or does it just take a bit to update?

[quote name='DestroVega']yeah, i had 2 goals to secure a win last night... score![/QUOTE]

wow you guys actually got into games yesterday. I tried for 30 minutes and was never able to start a game. Just got booted out every time. Now this was around 5:30 CST.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey, thanks for the invite Matt! Just curious, but how come my BAP's name doesn't show up next to my gamertag on the club roster? Do I have to play in a game first, or does it just take a bit to update?[/QUOTE]

EA has a couple of issues they have to work on. This is one of them. Almost everyone has played a game, but only a couple of BAP names are being displayed.

Cheapy, add the CAG NHL 09 tag to your friends or make sure you at least one of the people who play regularly like Apathy or Matt Young so you can get in on the games.

Matt or Apathy will probably send you an invite when you get the game.

Yeah, just let me know when you get it and I'll invite you. I can also clear a spot on my friend list for you, although yours is likely full, as well.

[quote name='nny77713']EA has a couple of issues they have to work on. This is one of them. Almost everyone has played a game, but only a couple of BAP names are being displayed.[/QUOTE]

It looks like EA fixed this problem today.

[quote name='nny77713']It looks like EA fixed this problem today.[/quote]

I sure hope so. I'll be on in 30-45 minutes. As for the question on the cutoff for the NHL/AHL CAG Teams, I would say around B- or C+ if we chose to do that. Keep in mind we would also rotate in a couple of people from the NHL team to play with the AHL guys.

Calico, I'll send you an invite when I get on tonight.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I sure hope so. I'll be on in 30-45 minutes. As for the question on the cutoff for the NHL/AHL CAG Teams, I would say around B- or C+ if we chose to do that. Keep in mind we would also rotate in a couple of people from the NHL team to play with the AHL guys.

Calico, I'll send you an invite when I get on tonight.[/quote]

Wouldn't the cutoff just be relative to how good our group is? I mean...if we all turn into beasts and 40 guys have a B or better, obviously, we wouldn't have 40 on the NHL club and 10 on the AHL. I know you gotta start somewhere, but as everybody improves, the big club would become a more elite group no?

[quote name='Maynard']We Win Again :)[/quote]

That was a nail biter. I was worried when all three of us were in the penalty box at the same . :lol:

ok...wtf?? It wouldn't let me join the game. I was in the dressing room with PA and 2 others, and once the timer counted down, it showed a "side select" screen with the Pens and Red Wings. Then it told me I was kicked from the session. What the hell is that about?

If I take this the wrong way, let me know.

Pure had sent me a message after I had messaged him seeing if something was wrong on the deal in terms of headsets. Got a message back that he wanted to play with two others because it seemed that it worked better, to which I can somewhat understand.

But when you guys are constantly entering and leaving the dressing room, that's not giving us much of a signal. I just kinda felt it was a little shitty that none of you could at least have said something to that effect and at least say that you three wanted to take a stab. Had that have happened, I wouldn't be that upset right now.

I just feel that it was a little shitty to be told in that manner. I don't particularly know if I was just in the way during our last game or anything like that. All I'm saying is at least be open and honest next time around.

Dude...seriously? If that's what the problem was, that's straight up CAG snobbery. I was going to ask about the policy on headsets, but really didn't think it would be that big of a deal. In this kind of game, I figured it would just consist of a bunch of people yelling "give me the puck!" or "I'm open!" all at the same time.

Also, forgive me, but it's late at night, and my wife is in bed already. It's not always easy for me to be shouting into a headset, and I hardly see how it's neccessary. I was also wondering why you guys kept going in and out of the dressing room...like you were waiting for us to leave. Please tell me it's just a misunderstanding, because that's fucked up.

bread's done
Back