NHL Discussion 2015-2016

He's a Restricted Free Agent, and Columbus has until noon to get a deal done, or teams can start submitting offer sheets. They already said they're matching whatever comes in.
Bob McKenzie says that he was looking for a 6 year deal at around 6 to 6.5 per, and at 22 years old, Chicago was probably expecting a few teams to submit offers in that range, so they at least got something substantial for him, rather than a couple of picks.
Dano is a pretty good prospect, and has two more years at 900,000. I don't expect Anismov to hang around long, with his cap hit at something like 3.8.
Bickell's contract is hurting Chicago, I'm sure they'd have loved to keep Saad. That kid is already a star....and now the Rangers get to play against him 5 times a year. Wonderful.
Columbus was tough to play against at the end of last year, they just went through the roof with this deal.

Ha Ha Ha,
Guess it didn't take long for me to be proved wrong on Anisimov.
Chicago is going to HAVE to move somebody else, they only have 4 defensemen & 11 forwards signed, and about 2 mil in space left.

I thought Washington was interested in Patrick Sharp, thats a huge contract and the Caps have a ton of space.

Well, Saad was traded to CBJ :(

It sucks because Saad is a stud and was instrumental in us winning the cup this year. Supposedly he was looking for 6 yrs with AAV of $6.5M which is pretty damn high. He's a stud, but he isn't a Kane or Toews yet.
I'm sorry that Kane and Toews are only making 6.5, but with the salary cap increases, that is not elite money, but good money. Considering most elite players are making 9-12 mill a year, 6.5 is average. heck O'Reilly is looking for 7.5-8. 6.5 for Saad at his young age is great and considered a mid tiered salary now.

I'm sorry that Kane and Toews are only making 6.5, but with the salary cap increases, that is not elite money, but good money. Considering most elite players are making 9-12 mill a year, 6.5 is average. heck O'Reilly is looking for 7.5-8. 6.5 for Saad at his young age is great and considered a mid tiered salary now.
Kane and Toews are getting $10.5 each. They had 8 year $84 mil extenions in 2014.

I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with Malkin. He said he wants out and will waive his NTC. With the addition of Kessel's $8 million a year hit... Pitt is going to be in rough shape.

Kane and Toews are getting $10.5 each. They had 8 year $84 mil extenions in 2014.

I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with Malkin. He said he wants out and will waive his NTC. With the addition of Kessel's $8 million a year hit... Pitt is going to be in rough shape.
So my point is even better. Seems 3-7 mill is your mid priced players now, 7-12 mill for elite, and the rest below. So Saad is in the mid tier as a younger player, his contract makes sense

My bad, I should have worded it better. I meant it was way to high for the Blackhawks. I really thought it was going to be lower than that as all the signs pointed to him staying in Chicago.

It absolutely makes sense for the Blue Jackets and, honestly, Saad could probably get even more than that. There is no doubt in my mind he is a great player and will continue to improve. I am glad the Hawks were able to get some substantial return instead of nothing though, so it wasn't a complete loss. The Hawks simply could not do 6.5.

GMs really won yesterday.
I can't think of one deal where they severely overpaid for someone.
Great moves by Pittsburgh, Washington, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Nashville, Detroit...
Rangers did nothing, while the teams around them improved. Guess their window is officially, closed, locked and boarded up.

The Blues didn't do much yesterday as well.  They just extended/resigned some contracts and that's about it.  Rumor is Tarasenko is expected to become official today.  I don't expect Armstrong to do much till after the prospect camp.  Then I think he might go after some leftovers to fill needed spots.  I was really hoping he would deal Oshie and Berglund for Kessel, but that obviously didn't happen.  Pittsburgh just got a lot better if he manages to work out for them.  I'm a little upset that Armstrong didn't want Jackman back.  I really think he would have stayed for less money.  I guess if your friend wants 2 more years you'll put your job on the line to let him have one than give a guy that till now spent his career here.  Armstrong has done some good things here in St. Louis, but I think the bad are starting to catch up and overshadow the good.

I expect some moves to be made to open up room for some of the upcoming prospects after the prospect came that starts I think Monday and ends Thursday. 

after last off season where the whole central division seemed to get much better and the Avs only stayed put or got worse, I was happy to see the Avs finally do something that made them better than they were at the end of the season, while the other Central teams weren't able to jump ahead as much as they usually do.  Chicago lost some key pieces while adding some stop gaps, the Blues didn't do that much, the Wild definitely didn't add a ton compared to the past, and well the Jets (Did they really do anything).  I think the Avs may have another bounce back year and surprise people.

Oh man,
TJ Oshie for Troy Brouwer, Pheonix Copley and a third?
That seems like a tremendous trade for Washington.

Not happy with how much the Capitals have inproved in the last two days, since the Rangers play them in the playoffs just about every year.
This is pretty much a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man,

Not happy with how much the Capitals have inproved in the last two days, since the Rangers play them in the playoffs just about every year.
And I'm fine with the Blues getting worse! :twisted:

Oh man,

If the rumors I have read are true then Oshie will be on the same line as Ovechkin. That alone should increase his numbers, but who knows when it comes to the playoffs. I'm sure people will be crying even more about this trade in St. Louis, but I think it's a win win for both. If not better for St. Louis. If you look at the stats for both Oshie and Brouwer, Brouwer has more goals than Oshie. For the Blues Brouwer adds some size, cup experience and has been a 20 goal scorer all playing on the 2nd or 3rd line. Oshie does have the better numbers due to his number of assists and slightly less goals a year, but tends to not really show up in the playoffs. With getting Copley they have someone to backup Binnington for the Wolves. May in time even play in net for the Blues. His save percentage looks to be getting better every year. This trade also frees up some cap room to allow Armstrong to extend some players contracts.

EDIT: The formatting changed on the stats I posted so I'll just post a link to them.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129834

However much like the Miller trade I think this will all depend on how well Oshie does for Washington and how well Brouwer does for St. Louis. I really don't expect the loss of Oshie to impact St. Louis that much. I'm expecting Backes to go to his natural position of right wing and Stastny to be the 1st line center like he should. Sadly it looks like no team wanted Berglund, and I don't blame them. I still have my hopes up that Armstrong can get something worked out.

Just curious, what all goes into player signings, specifically in the minors such as the ECHL and AHL? When a player opts to play for a different team, is there usually a clear cut reason or can it depend on a lot of things? Like he wasn't offered a new contract, he wanted specifically off the team,  just did not like the area/city he was in, competing team offered him a better deal, etc? Asking because I've only recently started watching hockey again and as I actually am a bigger fan of ECHL (since there's a local team here to actually go out and watch) I've been looking at many players' history and some seem to jump from team to team every year or seem to stay with one for a couple years, then go to another for another two, repeat.

Hey guys, remember hockey?

The Kings have won 5 straight going into tonight's game, recovering from their 0-3 start in which they allowed 12 goals and scored a whopping 2. Ontario also held their first home game as the Kings' AHL affiliate this past Friday, but I was unable to attend.

Not NHL but I witnessed probably one of the craziest hockey games I've ever watched the other day watching the local ECHL team here. It was Cincinnati against Wheeling and Cincy was killing us the entire game and we were down 5-2 all the way to the last 4 minutes of the game. Not sure what happened but it was just goal after goal for Wheeling after that, 5 goals in less than 5 minutes got them the win with the final being 7-5 Wheeling. Absolutely insane...I've seen some amazing comebacks but nothing quite on that level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLLiKz6fY4Q

Just curious, what all goes into player signings, specifically in the minors such as the ECHL and AHL? When a player opts to play for a different team, is there usually a clear cut reason or can it depend on a lot of things? Like he wasn't offered a new contract, he wanted specifically off the team, just did not like the area/city he was in, competing team offered him a better deal, etc? Asking because I've only recently started watching hockey again and as I actually am a bigger fan of ECHL (since there's a local team here to actually go out and watch) I've been looking at many players' history and some seem to jump from team to team every year or seem to stay with one for a couple years, then go to another for another two, repeat.
A majority of the time it has to do with NHL contracts and where they play. Not to mention that NHL teams seem to constantly be changing who their affiliate teams are, and that causes a lot of roster movement as well. Those are some of the biggest reasons you may see more movement at that level. Rest of movement is just simple player movement like any sport, the things you mentioned.

Bumping for playoff talk...maybe?

There's nothing like the NHL playoffs to make you literally hate the opposing team, haha. Generally, I don't have bad feelings toward the Ducks. I watched the movies growing up, I loved the old jersey, and I liked Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya as players. But right now i want to see that whole team get the shit kicked out of them.

Part of me wonders if the concept of "playoff experience" just translates to "see what the refs won't call". So many questionable hits and dirty plays. Perry taking guys down away from the puck and hooking all over the place. Getzlaf "accidentally" losing an edge and basically doing a takeout slide on Rinne in the damn crease. Seriously, Rinne got taken off his feet at least 5-6 times tonight and not one call.

And between every play, Getzlaf is constantly talking to the refs. Quit crying and play the damn game. Really happy to see Nashville stand up to them thus far though. I just hope they can keep the intensity up and avoid injuries. But seriously...fuck the Ducks!

Playoffs tend to be prison rules as far as refs go. Though you can get your fair share of ref shows in them too. I don't follow NHL as closely as I do the local ECHL team here but go Stars.

Nate: I think the Ducks are douches, but I'm obviously kind of biased.

The Kings finally beat the Sharks last night. The team still took too many dumb penalties like in the first 2 games, but the PK was incredible, Kopitar killed it in the faceoff circle, Quick was nigh unstoppable, and Doughty seemed to be on the ice all night long blocking shots. It still took overtime, but Tanner Pearson scored on his first shot of the night to give the Kings a 2-1 win. San Jose still leads the series 2-1, though.

Yeah, I mean...I don't see the Ducks enough to know if they're really that dirty...or if it's just the playoffs bringing it out in them. But Chicago was the same way last year. And it's definitely not to that level during the regular season.

I like what James Neal did in the last game though. He was constantly getting in Kesler's face, and he took a swipe at Gibson's pads with his stick after a stoppage one time. Anaheim was definitely instigating shit though because even the refs had enough eventually and gave the Ducks a couple unsportsmanlike penalties.

I really hope Nashville comes back fierce at home tonight. They eased off a bit in the 3rd period of game two since they had the two goal lead...and Anaheim started getting the physical edge and got a goal out of it. I understand being a bit cautious and defending a lead, but they can't let that carry over to a fresh game. Gotta come out and hit them right in the jaw tonight.

I was surprised that the Flyers were able to win last night.  Before the playoffs started I thought they would win in 7.  After game one I thought they'd be lucky to win one or 2 games.  After game 2 I thought they'll probably get swept, and after game 3 I thought yep Washington's going to sweep them.  Guess not.  

Blues can close it out tonight, but I've watched them long enough to know that it probably wont happen.  I'd be surprised if Chicago doesn't somehow force a game 7.  If St. Louis can move to the 2nd round odds are they'll play Dallas.  I don't have high hopes for that one at all.  I keep hearing how this year is different that it just feels different.  Well, I'm not feeling it.  

That was a hell of a game last night between St. Louis and Chicago, but sadly it looks like the Blues are going to piss away the playoffs again.  Game 6 is tomorrow and I don't plan on them winning it at all.  I don't even expect them to win game 7.  I guess Monday night, Tuesday morning if it goes like game 5, they'll be in round 2 or Armstrong and ownership will start looking at what changes will happen in the off season.

Hold your horses, now. Nashville is doing its best to choke worse than anyone. After winning both games on the road to start the series, they scored one goal on 57 shots in the two games in Nashville.

It's the same crap that always happens to them. Their opponent switches goalies and all of a sudden they can't score and forget how to play defense. Freaking Frederik Andersen is outplaying Pekka Rinne.

Anaheim also stopped playing emotionally, and it's worked to their favor. At this point, the Preds need to instigate something and try to drag them back into the chippy play again. Gotta do something to spark the team and ruffle the Ducks feathers.

If they can't do that, Nashville's probably just gonna get steamrolled.

I felt the same way as my buddy Will did during last night's game:

JUxukAQ.jpg

The Kings held the lead for about 5 minutes in the whole series. They won only 1 game and it took overtime. The offense struggled and many stupid penalties were committed. That series was highly disappointing.

Of fucking course. Nashville kills themselves to get one past Andersen. Five seconds later, Ducks come down the ice, take a shot that Roman Josi blocks...and it flips up into the air over Rinne's glove and in.

Straight out of NHL 16 bullshit luck. Retarded fucking bounce.

EDIT - And when they need it the most, they get outplayed in the 3rd and give the game away. This fucking team, man. There are a few guys who look like they don't give a shit out there. Mike Ribeiro has done nothing the entire series. And even James Neal has barely done anything (aside from take stupid penalties).

Bounces are bounces, but players need to make plays too. Anaheim's guys have done that. I would be fucking livid if I was Peter Laviolette. At least they're facing elimination at home. If they can't win one fucking home game in this series, then they don't deserve it anyway.

I read some place that hitchcock was quoted as saying game 7 at home is what the Blues wanted.  I've come to realize more now than ever he has no clue what he's doing. They needed to win this in game 5 and they didn't.  So that made game 6 the must win.  They were up by 2 and backed off.  I don't know what they were doing in the 2nd.  He's giving his top forward little ice time and didn't even put him out there during the one power play they had.  I get he was on the ice when the penalty was called, but at some point in the 2 minutes you have to put Tarasenko, Stastny and Schwartz out there.  Going into game 7 it seems the fans are mixed.  Some still have hope, while others are just looking forward to the changes for next season hoping that hitchcock and possibly armstrong are 2 of them changes.

bread's done
Back