NHL Discussion 2015-2016

Phase 1 of comeback is complete. Phase 2 on Sunday....
But man, they do not make it easy on themselves.

I really felt like tonight was going to be something like 4-1, with Holtby starting to crack a little.
I still feel like that is coming, so Game 6 then....

Yeah...I'd be fine with Tampa Bay or Washington winning. Honestly, Ovechkin has paid his dues, man. He deserves one at this point.

And seriously, fucking fuck Chicago...I hope Marian Hossa's dick gets stuck in Patrick Kane's ass...
I couldn't agree more with you about Ovi. For as much shit as he's got about his defensive play (or rather lack of) in years past, I feel like people forget he never really had a goalie, supporting cast minus a couple guys, and most importantly a quality coach. Insert Trotz, and his numbers improve so much.

Which is also why I feel like Trotz got snubbed as a finalist for the Jack Adams. Vigneault, in my opinion, had no business being a finalist considering he didn't really do that much unless you consider dealing with Lundqvist's injury which really isn't a coachable situation.

Lastly fuck Shitcago.

I'm really hoping for an Anaheim/Washington or Anaheim/Tampa match up.  I don't see Calgary being able to make it to the cup finals.  I would prefer it to be them over Anaheim, but I just can't see them beating Anaheim and a rested Chicago.  Having to deal with Chicago fans 2 or 3 times a year I don't think I can deal with them if they win a 6th cup before St. Louis has won its first.  

Phase 2 of comeback in the books.
Hopefully in is a good sign that we had a goal from both Rick Nash and Dan Boyle.
...and Chris Kreider is seriously in Beast Mode right now.

Lundqvist's numbers in Game 7s are good.....real good.

“@rangersreport: Last 5 Game 7s: Lundqvist 5-0, 0.80, .973, 1 SHO. Five straight Game 7 wins are an NHL record.”

Yeah, they never make it easy, do they?
I need a cardiologist on standby whenever I watch them play.

Hell of a series by the Caps, they have a bright future. But Rangers in Game 7s man....

Really hope to see Anaheim and Tampa playing for the cup. Also looks like we could hear from Babcock as early as Wednesday. Armstrong has now requested to talk to him. Doesn't give much time to talk if he plans to announce on Wednesday.

Oh well, Rangers were due for a bad game at some point. Still liking the amount of chances they had.
Feels like more than they had in both of the previous two series combined.

Well the Lightning were the highest goal scoring team in the regular season.  Also Tampa was 3-0-0 against the Rangers in the regular season.

I love how Hank responded last night.
He looked pretty down and out after Game 3, but put that behind him and was a wall in Game 4. Lightning were all over the Rangers in the second, Lundqvist was fantastic.
....and how about that, a Rick Nash AND Marty St. Louis sighting.
If Nash could get going......nah, not even going to get my hopes up. This is probably it for him for the next 49 playoff games.
Marty looked great though, he had a ton of chances, and Yandle played much better last night. Defense did a nice job on the Triplets finally....keep doing that please.

Guess it was Bishops turn to respond.
Rangers had the puck most of the game, but they just couldn't get many shots. Tampas defense was good, however they gave up a ton of odd man rushes.
I guess the Rangers will have to come back from 3-2 down.

The Rangers have really been on some kind of playoff run the last couple of years. Their record in elimination games is staggering. They are so hard to knock out of a series. Of course, it hasn't produced a Cup, but its done everything else.
Game 7 on Friday, Lundqvist's numbers are out of this world in Game 7s, and its at home. The ex Rangers on the Lightning looked like they were playing extra hard last night. They did not want to push this series to a Game 7.

It's been a good postseason for the Kings' affiliates in their final season before switching leagues. Sadly, my beloved Ontario Reign lost Game 7 of the ECHL WCF tonighg, but that was their best playoff run ever. On the flipside, the Manchester Monarchs just clinched their first trip ever to the AHL's Calder Cup Final!

It's been a good postseason for the Kings' affiliates in their final season before switching leagues. Sadly, my beloved Ontario Reign lost Game 7 of the ECHL WCF tonighg, but that was their best playoff run ever. On the flipside, the Manchester Monarchs just clinched their first trip ever to the AHL's Calder Cup Final!
Don't worry Matt, you won't have to celebrate anymore for the Monarchs. After this weekend the Griffins will be on track to return the Calder Cup to the Calder City and send Blashill to the Wings with two Calders in 3 seasons. ;)

ugh....shut out again. By a goaltender who was pulled last game.
Just inexcusable.
I'm ready for a couple of guys to move on. There was some dead weight on this team.....this year and last. Some of those guys are fantastic in the regular season, but disappear in the playoff, and the team can't move forward like that.
Sucks, because it felt like they were on a mission during the season, after last years tough loss, but didn't seem to have that urgency starting the playoffs.
Really have to give Tampa credit....even with the Rangers unbelievable numbers in Game 7s, they clearly wanted it more.
I usually can't even stomach watching the other team celebrate after a series loss, but I can't even hate on Tampa right now. They came into the Garden and took the game by the throat. I think the Rangers felt the same way, if you noticed how long the handshake line took, I think not only were they congradulating their ex teamates, but they seemed to sincerly acknowledge that Tampa was without a doubt the better team.

.....kinda feeling like I need to change how I handle losses. I think the fact that my family doesn't want to be anywhere near me during games is probably a red flag. Getting too old for that kind of anger, need to let it go.

.....drinking doesn't hurt either.

WOW I can't believe the butt hurt I'm seeing from Rangers fans.  I must have not been watching the same game as them, because I thought both teams played well and was worried that the Rangers would be the one to move on at times.  The Rangers showed up in that game and played really well, but Bishop was outstanding in net.  The way the Rangers were playing after that first goal I expected a tied game.  I really think it was that 2nd goal by Tampa that was the killing blow to them.  I wish the Blues could lose in a game 7 for the conference final.  That would be better than what we have been seeing.  Hell I'm to the point I wish they would put the level of focused effort that other teams did in the playoffs.  

Rangers did well in that series against Tampa.  So what they didn't move on.  All I have seen online from Rangers fans is how bad the team did.  Again at least they showed up with a focused effort and made it to a game 7 of a conference final.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW I can't believe the butt hurt I'm seeing from Rangers fans. I must have not been watching the same game as them, because I thought both teams played well and was worried that the Rangers would be the one to move on at times. The Rangers showed up in that game and played really well......

I don't think they played their game at all. There very few second and third chances on Bishop last night, it was almost all one and done. And pretty much all of those shots were from the outside, nobody was going to the net.
.....but I think the reason for that was less the Rangers were bad, and more that Tampa had an excellent defensive game plan.
Game was a carbon copy of Game 5. Cooper had that same game plan then, and Vigneault never adjusted.
AV was outcoached.
....and hell yeah Ranger fans are butthurt. To come this close again, and not make it.
We know the window may have just slammed shut. Teams in the East are getting better, especially this Tampa team.
It is going to be really difficult to get back here again.

Tamp just did a good job of shutting them down when they had to.  That's all.  Rangers played well, but again Tampa did a really good job when they had to.  If you're worried about the east how do you think central division fans feel.  About the only think to balance out all of this is for an expansion or teams to have to give up high paid players due to cap.  The central is stacked right now and it's starting to be good luck making the top 3 teams.  This year at times it was one loss could drop a team from the top of the central to a wildcard spot.  I feel nothing for fans en the east worried about things like that.  Rangers will be a playoff contender next year and chances are the year after that. 

Lets go Hawks!! Wooo!

So pumped to go back to the Final this year especially after last years heart breaker. Toews is a fucking beast.

Should be an awesome series. Tampa is a great team, it's a good match up.

Well, I feel better about Nashville losing to Chicago in 6...while mostly outplaying them. For whatever reason, the Black Hawks were able to find something for the playoffs that they didn't have during the regular season. But seriously...if the Lightning don't pull this off, every hockey fan outside of Chicago is going to be pissed off.

No offense, Steve, but everybody hates your team and nobody wants them to win, lol. :)

No offense, Steve, but everybody hates your team and nobody wants them to win, lol. :)
That's ok! As a hockey fan, you dream of that because that means your team is kicking some serious ass. I think Kings fans can see where I'm coming from.

Honestly, I thought we were going to have a tough time in the playoffs. At first, we didn't know the status of Kane and we didn't have the best regular season (at least in my opinion). But Kane really got into his groove by the end of the Nashville series, Crawford gained some confidence back and Keith and Toews just did their thing. Having experience isn't everything but it definitely helps.

Gotta disagree with you on the "mostly outplaying" part though. Sure, we had a few dud games but that's why it's a 7 game series, you don't mostly outplay a team and drop 4 games to them. On the other hand, the only team we dominated were the Wild, both the Preds and Ducks were good matchups. The Ducks are an awesome team and in many other seasons, could've won the Cup.

I know the Hawks are mostly favored against the Bolts, and yeah they probably should be, but too many people are sleeping on that team I think. They are good. It'll be fun!

Well, I feel better about Nashville losing to Chicago in 6...while mostly outplaying them. For whatever reason, the Black Hawks were able to find something for the playoffs that they didn't have during the regular season. But seriously...if the Lightning don't pull this off, every hockey fan outside of Chicago is going to be pissed off.

As a St. Louis fan I think people will be pissed mostly because all we here out of the NHL and NBC is about Chicago. Seems like it can be a game that they have nothing to do with and some how we will hear about them. Also it's the fans. That's the biggest reason I hate Chicago and don't want them to win. Nothing against Steve as I don't know him, but as a group Chicago fans a dicks. I do know a few Hawks fans that aren't and don't go around saying "original six" or mouthing off about the number of cups the team has won. I have even sat next to Hawks fans at Hawks and Blues games and they seemed like nice people. I had no issue with them, but then there was all the other Hawks fans. All I heard was about the number of cups and original six. I have even seen some get upset when they realize that no one cares what they have to say that they want to fight someone. Added to all this the fact that you can't turn on a game where Chicago is the visiting team and not see a large chunk of the crowd wearing Hawks sweaters. There was a reason why Nashville did what they did to prevent as many of the fans for Chicago to show up for the playoffs, and their was a reason Nashville and St. Louis tried to keep the fans out last season. I'm not sure how it is in other cities, but for myself and others in St. Louis the majority of Hawks fans make games a less enjoyable experience. I have left after St. Louis won and still had a miserable experience due to majority of the fans at the game.

Again Steve could be a good guy, and I'm going to guess he his as I have never seen any thing posted about number of cups or original six. Like I stated I also know Hawks fans and have no issues with them. We joke around with each other and it's all in fun. It sucks that the majority of fans make the good Hawks fans look as bad as they do.

That's ok! As a hockey fan, you dream of that because that means your team is kicking some serious ass. I think Kings fans can see where I'm coming from.

Honestly, I thought we were going to have a tough time in the playoffs. At first, we didn't know the status of Kane and we didn't have the best regular season (at least in my opinion). But Kane really got into his groove by the end of the Nashville series, Crawford gained some confidence back and Keith and Toews just did their thing. Having experience isn't everything but it definitely helps.

Gotta disagree with you on the "mostly outplaying" part though. Sure, we had a few dud games but that's why it's a 7 game series, you don't mostly outplay a team and drop 4 games to them. On the other hand, the only team we dominated were the Wild, both the Preds and Ducks were good matchups. The Ducks are an awesome team and in many other seasons, could've won the Cup.

I know the Hawks are mostly favored against the Bolts, and yeah they probably should be, but too many people are sleeping on that team I think. They are good. It'll be fun!
Just sayin...3 of Chicago's 4 wins were by one goal...2 of them in Double OT or beyond. Nashville's 2 wins were both by 3 goals or more. Chicago got the bounces when they needed them and Quenneville seemed to have a magical touch with when to flip flop his goalies and get flawless performance from them. Basically everything went right for Chicago in that series.

That's not to say they didn't play hard, but the amount of good fortune Chicago has experienced in these playoffs is pretty unreal.

By 1 goal, 2 goals...or 7 goals....a win is a win.

The Hawks win a lot of OT games in the playoffs, it's not all because of lucky 'bounces', that's where the experience comes in handy.

"Nashville's 2 wins were both by 3 goals or more"

See, that's the problem, you need to come to play for four games.

I don't get the 'good fortune' comment either. We had Kane coming off an injury heading into the playoffs, we are down to only a handful of competent defense men, Sharp and Bickell have been pretty much completely useless and the goalie problems they had in the Preds series isn't something most teams can fight back from. Sure, puck luck will win you a game or two but it will not win you three playoff series (including a sweep), that's just not how hockey works. Again, unless you count OT wins as just luck - but I completely disagree with that. I don't see how a Seabrook snipe in 3OT is in any way 'luck'.

Also, one of my biggest pet peeves is attributing the hatred of a team to it's fanbase. Every team has it's share of meatball fans and dicks - and it's share of genuinely great fans that love the sport. If you went to a few games in each teams stadium, I'm sure you'd meet them. Having a bad experience with one and then declaring you hate the whole team is like having a bad ex girlfriend and then swearing off women. People hate the Hawks, the Kings, the Yankees, Lebron James because of one thing - they are successful. They can make up excuses as to why they hate them but that is the real reason. This may be a shocker, but NBC talks a lot about the Hawks because they have won a lot of series the last six years and are loaded with some superstar players. If the Blues or Preds became 6 year juggernauts - they'd talk a lot about them too - and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't complain about that.  :p 

I do understand why there are quite a few NHL fans rooting against the Hawks and that is fine, I'm just a little different. I always want the best team to win no matter who the heck they are. Sure, when they are playing my team it's different but if I'm a third party - just go at it and may the best team win. Sports are frustrating but I've learned very quickly being a White Sox/Bulls/Bears fan that you kinda have to get the hate out of your system and just focus on your team. And when one of your teams are having a successful run - you have to enjoy the HELL out of it because it will NOT last.

The Hawks win a lot of OT games in the playoffs, it's not all because of lucky 'bounces', that's where the experience comes in handy.

I don't get the 'good fortune' comment either. We had Kane coming off an injury heading into the playoffs, we are down to only a handful of competent defense men, Sharp and Bickell have been pretty much completely useless and the goalie problems they had in the Preds series isn't something most teams can fight back from. Sure, puck luck will win you a game or two but it will not win you three playoff series (including a sweep), that's just not how hockey works. Again, unless you count OT wins as just luck - but I completely disagree with that. I don't see how a Seabrook snipe in 3OT is in any way 'luck'.
Wow...well, for starters, I'm pretty sure the first few lines of your post could be categorized as "typical Hawks fan", so that isn't really helping your cause...

If you can't show humility or acknowledge that multiple games could have gone either way, and had a few bounces or calls been different, it could have been Nashville with a 4-2 series win, then you're part of what sendme was talking about.

Victory in that series was about as razor thin as it can get. You had a backup goalie stand on his head in multiple games where Chicago was outshot and outhustled. I don't care if you want to call it "destiny" or whatever...but you'd have to be either blind, crazy, or an ass to not be humble enough to admit that good fortune was on Chicago's side.

You may not "get it", but there is a difference between saying "Damn...that was tough. We were fortunate to get the plays when we needed them" and "We were the better team". The second statement is what causes people to not like your team.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't get the 'good fortune' comment either. We had Kane coming off an injury heading into the playoffs, we are down to only a handful of competent defense men, Sharp and Bickell have been pretty much completely useless and the goalie problems they had in the Preds series isn't something most teams can fight back from. Sure, puck luck will win you a game or two but it will not win you three playoff series (including a sweep), that's just not how hockey works. Again, unless you count OT wins as just luck - but I completely disagree with that. I don't see how a Seabrook snipe in 3OT is in any way 'luck'.

Also, one of my biggest pet peeves is attributing the hatred of a team to it's fanbase. Every team has it's share of meatball fans and dicks - and it's share of genuinely great fans that love the sport. If you went to a few games in each teams stadium, I'm sure you'd meet them. Having a bad experience with one and then declaring you hate the whole team is like having a bad ex girlfriend and then swearing off women. People hate the Hawks, the Kings, the Yankees, Lebron James because of one thing - they are successful. They can make up excuses as to why they hate them but that is the real reason. This may be a shocker, but NBC talks a lot about the Hawks because they have won a lot of series the last six years and are loaded with some superstar players. If the Blues or Preds became 6 year juggernauts - they'd talk a lot about them too - and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't complain about that. :p

I do understand why there are quite a few NHL fans rooting against the Hawks and that is fine, I'm just a little different. I always want the best team to win no matter who the heck they are. Sure, when they are playing my team it's different but if I'm a third party - just go at it and may the best team win. Sports are frustrating but I've learned very quickly being a White Sox/Bulls/Bears fan that you kinda have to get the hate out of your system and just focus on your team. And when one of your teams are having a successful run - you have to enjoy the HELL out of it because it will NOT last.
I don't hate the Kings because of their fans. I hate the kings because of Dustin Brown. I hated team USA in the Olympics because of Dustin Brown. Seems like every time I watch him in the playoffs he tries a knee to knee. That's why I hate him. As for the Blues being talked about, they were. A few season's ago when for some reason everyone picked them to win the cup NBC had their heads up the ass of the Blues. Most fans I have talked to liked it at first. Then quickly got annoyed and wanted it to stop.

Also if you don't think that Chicago and Nashville series was close you're wrong. Out of the games Chicago won, one was tied till the 3rd and the other was a 4-2 game. The other 2 all went into OT. Hell the one that had the game winner scored in the 3rd was in the last 4 minutes of the game. Also wasn't Nashville out Weber for a few of the games?

I agree that all teams in every sport have bad fans, but in the NHL most at least in the central will say it's the Hawks fans that people hate dealing with at games. They're the only fans that when Vegas does get a team will be telling everyone in Vegas the number of cups they have and how their team is an original six team at the first game for the team in Vegas.

Mike Fisher was injured midway through game 1 and missed games 2, 3, and 4.

Shea Weber was injured midway through game 2 and missed games 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Chicago rushed Kane back from a serious injury, kept him healthy, and even got production out of him.

Chicago switched to an inexperienced backup goalie midway through game 1, and he stopped something like the next 95 shots faced.

Then they went back to Crawford midway through game 6 and he pitched a shutout the rest of the way.

But sure...saying that good fortune was on Chicago's side in that series is silly.

Suck on that alliteration, lol j/k.

Wow...well, for starters, I'm pretty sure the first few lines of your post could be categorized as "typical Hawks fan", so that isn't really helping your cause...
Wow, Ok...but it's true...right? You win a game be outscoring the opponent - number of goals don't matter and experience does help in OT playoff hockey, it certainly doesn't hurt. So a "typical Hawks fan" understands the game? I'll take that as a compliment.

Is there a reason I'm being attacked for something I didn't even say? When did I say the series wasn't close? This is what I actually said:

"On the other hand, the only team we dominated were the Wild, both the Preds and Ducks were good matchups."

I said it was a good matchup! It was a great series, both teams came to play and it was close. I was just disagreeing with you when you said the Preds 'outplayed' the Hawks.

"We were the better team". Yes, that is true! We were! We won the series. How is Darling playing excellent in relief and Crawford closing out Game 6 just 'good fortune'? They are players on the team, they are supposed to perform well, that's their job! The Hawks management took a chance with Darling, they put him on the roster and they deserve any benefits that may come from him performing well. If he laid an egg it would have been the Hawks fault, not the Preds 'good fortune'. If the roles were reversed and I said the Preds only won the series because we had a backup goalie in, would you agree? No. You'd correctly tell me to take a flying leap.

It's not a 'typical Hawks fan' thing to acknowledge that the team that won the freaking series is the better team. In fact, the majority of sports fans agree with this fact. The PLAYERS agree. It's the very reason the games are played. It's the essence of what sports are all about. I'm really confused as to what I'm saying that is wrong? :???:

You are going by 'If's". IF Weber played we would have won, IF the Hawks goalies played like crap (?) we would have won, IF the puck took a bounce there we would have won. I'm just going by facts and what actually happened. The point of the playoffs is to find the best team to represent their respective conferences for the cup. The Hawks beat three good teams and proved they are the best team to fill that role.

A 'razor thin' series win is when the Kings beat the Hawks last year, in Game 7, in OT. Sure, any team could've won but the Kings were just that much better. Sure the Preds could have beat us this year but the Hawks were just better. Now if it went down to OT in a Game 7 and the Preds got burned on a 100% bad call by the ref, then you may have a point, but it was a 4-2 series win! I mean, come on, get off it already.

I still don't know what is up with the attacks, I understand you aren't a big fan of the Hawks, but I simply came to this thread saying that the upcoming Stanley Cup Final should be good and I'm excited as a pig in shit that my team is in it again. Somehow the first round (?) was brought up and I simply disagreed with your assumption that the team that lost the series outplayed the team that won. I'm on this site a lot and I was hoping to maybe find some Hawk fans or even a fellow Lightning fan that can break down their team for me.

But, my bad, I guess I'll go to reddit or whatever. That's fine. I'm not shoving the Hawks in any of your faces - I can tell you guys aren't fans - and that's cool.

Anyways, I probably shouldn't talk much about hockey since I've been told I don't "get it". :roll:

Wow, Ok...but it's true...right? You win a game be outscoring the opponent - number of goals don't matter and experience does help in OT playoff hockey, it certainly doesn't hurt. So a "typical Hawks fan" understands the game? I'll take that as a compliment.

Is there a reason I'm being attacked for something I didn't even say? When did I say the series wasn't close? This is what I actually said:

"On the other hand, the only team we dominated were the Wild, both the Preds and Ducks were good matchups."

I said it was a good matchup! It was a great series, both teams came to play and it was close. I was just disagreeing with you when you said the Preds 'outplayed' the Hawks.

"We were the better team". Yes, that is true! We were! We won the series. How is Darling playing excellent in relief and Crawford closing out Game 6 just 'good fortune'? They are players on the team, they are supposed to perform well, that's their job! The Hawks management took a chance with Darling, they put him on the roster and they deserve any benefits that may come from him performing well. If he laid an egg it would have been the Hawks fault, not the Preds 'good fortune'. If the roles were reversed and I said the Preds only won the series because we had a backup goalie in, would you agree? No. You'd correctly tell me to take a flying leap.

It's not a 'typical Hawks fan' thing to acknowledge that the team that won the freaking series is the better team. In fact, the majority of sports fans agree with this fact. The PLAYERS agree. It's the very reason the games are played. It's the essence of what sports are all about. I'm really confused as to what I'm saying that is wrong? :???:

You are going by 'If's". IF Weber played we would have won, IF the Hawks goalies played like crap (?) we would have won, IF the puck took a bounce there we would have won. I'm just going by facts and what actually happened. The point of the playoffs is to find the best team to represent their respective conferences for the cup. The Hawks beat three good teams and proved they are the best team to fill that role.

A 'razor thin' series win is when the Kings beat the Hawks last year, in Game 7, in OT. Sure, any team could've won but the Kings were just that much better. Sure the Preds could have beat us this year but the Hawks were just better. Now if it went down to OT in a Game 7 and the Preds got burned on a 100% bad call by the ref, then you may have a point, but it was a 4-2 series win! I mean, come on, get off it already.

I still don't know what is up with the attacks, I understand you aren't a big fan of the Hawks, but I simply came to this thread saying that the upcoming Stanley Cup Final should be good and I'm excited as a pig in shit that my team is in it again. Somehow the first round (?) was brought up and I simply disagreed with your assumption that the team that lost the series outplayed the team that won. I'm on this site a lot and I was hoping to maybe find some Hawk fans or even a fellow Lightning fan that can break down their team for me.

But, my bad, I guess I'll go to reddit or whatever. That's fine. I'm not shoving the Hawks in any of your faces - I can tell you guys aren't fans - and that's cool.

Anyways, I probably shouldn't talk much about hockey since I've been told I don't "get it". :roll:
My mind is blown that you need the definition of "fortunate" explained to you. You're just digging a deeper hole here. If the Preds had won under the same circumstances, I would have no problem acknowledging the big factors that had an impact on the series...especially if they were unusual or something that most people wouldn't expect (ie. star players missing most of the series or journeyman goalies playing like all-stars). That has nothing to do with whether or not a team deserved to win.

But benefitting from some fortunate rolls of the dice is what it is. No team makes it this far without a little luck on their side. For you to dispute that and just beat your chest about being "the best team" just proves sendme's argument about "typical Black Hawks fans".

Also...

I don't get the 'good fortune' comment either.
that's what I was addressing.

When the NHL starts to keep track of 'luck' in their stats next to goals scored and wins, I may pay attention, but until then it doesn't mean anything once a series is over. During a game - sure, you say things like 'damn that was close' but a month after the series is over? Come on. Do you think the Preds went down the handshake line and told Toews: "Man, we should have won but you got lucky!". Not a chance, the Preds players are competitors, I'm sure, they aren't going to cry and make excuses about losing.

When I said "I don't get the 'good fortune'" comment I was referring to everything that wasn't going our way. It's not like the Hawks had all the luck and the Preds had none. And Kane was not the Patrick Kane that he was in the later games and in the Wild and Ducks series, he definitely had some rust to shake off. The Preds could've taken advantage of that but didn't. I even said luck can win you a game or even two in hockey, but a whole series?

Say it like it is: you are still incredibly salty about the Hawks winning and you want me to diminish my teams accomplishments because of it. I'm not beating my chest that the Hawks are the best team...I'm stating the Hawks are the best team out of their conference which is a fact - they just won three series to prove it. Are they better than Tampa? I really don't know, that's why I'm excited to see what happens next. You are painting me as this "typical Hawks fan" that you have nightmares about or something and all I am is a fan that is pumped that his team is going to the Final and is excited to see if they can win the cup.

You're also assuming everyone outside of Chicago hates the Hawks, which really is not true. I've met a lot of down to Earth fans that acknowledge what the Hawks have done and the great players on the team - not everyone is under your line of thinking. Many other fans enjoy Kane and the like and actually love watching the Hawks play.

If Detroit was still in the west or wasn't eliminated by Tampa would you still be wanting Chicago to win?  

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, haha. He said if I was asking for which team we hope gets embarrassed then he's "pulling for them".

Now that it's not just before 5 a.m. I see that.  I have been having the same discussion with a hawks fan at work.  They seem to think that people hate the hawks because their good, and that it's only Blues fans that hate them.  When it comes to things that Blues fans hate I think it goes in this order:

Majority of the hawks fans, not all of them as some are good fans. Just most that come here seem to be jackasses.

The dumb ass management that fired Quenneville and didn't draft Toews over Johnson and Armstrong trading Bishop

The hawks

Last 2 may change depending on the fan, but I really think most hate the majority of the hawks fans at this point than the team.  

There is enough salt in this thread to rival an ocean... :razz:

Believe it or not, there are fans that don't hate the Hawks, or better yet - don't really give a shit who wins. The reddit game thread today was full of fans that just wanted to see a good game between two great teams. Many Philly fans are even rooting for the Hawks because of Kimmo. This thread is probably not the best place to see who's pulling for who...I mean, it's pretty obvious here.

Also, granted, I'm not a Blues fan but how the heck do you hate Hawks fans more than 'not drafting Toews'? Like, what? Genuinely lost on that one but I'll leave that to you guys.

Onto Stanley Cup discussion?

Great first game for the Hawks, they absolutely stole that one. The Lightning came out on fire in the first period. That Killorn goal was one of the best I seen in the playoffs.  :shock:

I think the Lightning made a huge mistake when they started playing 'prevent defense' and sat back too much. And the turnovers were out of control. Crawford made some amazing saves (on those breakaways!) to keep the Hawks in the game until Teravainen went off with that goal and assist.

It's funny that the Lightning is full of young players and the 20 year old Teravainen on the Hawks closed the game out. Funny how that works.

Both teams have some things to fix and I still believe this will be a very close series.

Looks like St. Louis could be interested in getting Anderson from Ottawa.  Really not sure why unless Elliott wants out.  Someone from the press said that they felt that they interviewed Elliott for the last time after game 6.  Armstrong said in a press conference that it will be Elliott and Allen next year.  It hasn't been goaltending in St. Louis that's been the issue.  Really don't think Ottawa is looking for goaltending.  I'd expect Oshie and maybe Berglund to be traded for Anderson if this trade even happens.

Just looked, that's a $4.2 million cap hit over the next three years too...I don't know about that trade. Just wouldn't make sense for the Blues IMO.

Although, Oshie will definitely be traded either way, right?

He will probably always be my favorite Blues player though. Will never forget him in the Olympics, I was actually out watching the game and there was a Blues fan and a bunch of Hawks fans chanting his name during that shootout. That was a fun time, very odd, but fun.

I don't even want to think of the off season yet, this season is still far from over. And, my god, the Hawks are in trouble with all of their cap problems.

I think it was only a matter of time for the Hawks to run into cap issues. Right now they have $65 mil spoken for towards next year's cap. This year it was $69 mil. I read earlier that they [players] were expected to use their 5% growth option which would bring it to $71 million.

However, some reports are saying it could actually drop to $67.5 mil or stay. Regardless, that's going to be a potential problem for a few teams. I think the positive though is that generally hockey players put winning the cup before getting paid more. Which is a big reason why I feel like the integrity of the game is in a better position than the other major sports.

Just looked, that's a $4.2 million cap hit over the next three years too...I don't know about that trade. Just wouldn't make sense for the Blues IMO.

Although, Oshie will definitely be traded either way, right?

He will probably always be my favorite Blues player though. Will never forget him in the Olympics, I was actually out watching the game and there was a Blues fan and a bunch of Hawks fans chanting his name during that shootout. That was a fun time, very odd, but fun.

I don't even want to think of the off season yet, this season is still far from over. And, my god, the Hawks are in trouble with all of their cap problems.

Oshie is a 4.175 for the next 2 seasons. So as far as cap goes Armstrong might be able to get Ottawa's GM to keep the extra cap. Issue with this would then put St. Louis at 3 goaltenders. This has me thinking that Elliott does want out or the paper that reported it is wrong and Armstrong isn't looking at Anderson. If this trade is done I don't expect it to happen till after Tarasenko and Allen are both resigned.

As for Oshie most fans couldn't care less if he stays or not. He's one of the core that really hasn't shown much in the playoffs for the past few years. Shootouts are on there way out and that's where he excels at. My thought before even the 2014-2015 season that he would be a trade at deadline in the 2016-2017 season due to the cap. Based on what I was reading on Reddit during the Olympics it seemed like Blues fans were about the only ones not surprised at how well Oshie did during the shootout against Russia. Issue is the shootout is slowly going away and if the NHL can come up with something outside of going back to a tied game I'm sure it would be replaced with that. Till now it's extending overtime in hopes of not going to a shootout.

Armstrong was in the works of trading him to Boston at the deadline, but that didn't happen. I wont be surprised if he does go during the off season even though I think he's a deadline trade due to cap.

I think it was only a matter of time for the Hawks to run into cap issues. Right now they have $65 mil spoken for towards next year's cap. This year it was $69 mil. I read earlier that they [players] were expected to use their 5% growth option which would bring it to $71 million.

However, some reports are saying it could actually drop to $67.5 mil or stay. Regardless, that's going to be a potential problem for a few teams. I think the positive though is that generally hockey players put winning the cup before getting paid more. Which is a big reason why I feel like the integrity of the game is in a better position than the other major sports.
I have been seeing anything from it to drop to about what it was last season all the way up to 71 million. I think this not knowing is partly what is keeping a deal with Tarasenko from being officially done. I think Armstrong is holding off to see what he will actually have. After that it seems like the next signings will be Allen, Schwartz contract extended and Bortuzzo.

I don't see how teams can make the huge contracts that they're making. I was surprised when I saw Stastny got 7 million a year. That deal is now biting Armstrong in the ass because of how much more productive Tarasenko was this past season. It has me worried that Armstrong is going to be overspending. The fact that from what I hear St. Louis had one of the highest paid 4th lines this past season is a bad sign of what he spends also. Ott was at 2.6 and Reaves at 1.125. I'm not sure what Goc and Lapierre were making. I know it was between one and 2 million so you're looking at between 4.725 to 6 million on just that one line.

Oh, I agree about Oshie, It would be smartest to move him.

It was a good Game 2, man this series is going to be awesome. Sharp with a Lightning jersey should be one of the stars of the game though - two straight penalties and the second one led to the game winning goal for the Lightning...ugh. He's been pretty much insufferable in these playoffs...when he leaves in the offseason due to cap issues, I don't think I'll be as sad as I would've been before these playoffs began.  :whistle2:k

Thought both goalies were a little weak in this game too. Crawford should've never let in that Johnson goal.

Onto Game 3!

I had to shut the game off last night.  All 4 goals for Tampa were scored when I had the game off.  All 3 for Chicago were scored when I had the game on.  I don't know if I'm going to be watching any other games this series if that's how it's going to be.  

I had to shut the game off last night. All 4 goals for Tampa were scored when I had the game off. All 3 for Chicago were scored when I had the game on. I don't know if I'm going to be watching any other games this series if that's how it's going to be.
Please don't if that's the case haha.

The Manchester Monarchs just hoisted the Calder Cup about half an hour ago. 4-1 series win over Utica. I'm extremely excited that the team (sans name) is coming here to southern California this fall!

Congrats Blackhawks.
Thanks!

I'm so fucking happy right now! And Kimmo finally getting one is so cool.

That was one hell of a series. The Lightning will be a juggernaut for years to come, no doubt.

Damn I love these Blackhawks. So. Good.

lsaGRl5.jpg

bread's done
Back