NHL Player Kicked in the Neck

mykevermin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (97%)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzU5z8byUkI[/media]

He's doing well in the hospital, according to reports, but that's just scary as hell to see. The blood streak on the ice as well is indicative of the extent of his injury.

Here's to hoping Zednik comes back at 100%.

Florida Panthers left wing Richard Zednik remains in stable condition at Buffalo General Hospital, according to an update released by the hospital on Monday.

Dr. Sonya Noor, the attending surgeon for Zednik, said the injured player will remain in the intensive care unit at the hospital and be evaluated throughout the day.

Zednik underwent emergency surgery after getting cut in the neck by the skate blade of teammate Olli Jokinen during Sunday's 5-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres.

Zednik's wife, Jessica, flew to Buffalo on Sunday night.

"The entire Panthers organization wish to extend their sincere gratitude and appreciation to the medical staff at Buffalo General Hospital, the Buffalo Sabres organization, the HSBC Arena staff and to the Panthers and Sabres fans who have expressed their condolences," Florida assistant general manager Randy Sexton said.

Zednik's agent, David Schatia, told TSN of Canada that his client is resting at the hospital but provided no further details.

Sportsnet of Canada reported that Zednik underwent life-saving surgery and was on the operating table for two hours to repair a significant cut to his carotid artery, which supplies blood to the head.

According to Sportsnet, Jokinen's blade just missed the jugular, which runs alongside the artery.

With 9:56 remaining in the third period, Jokinen was being checked by Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell - and the captain's skate raised up and caught Zednik trailing the play.

Zednik, who bled profusely from his neck, was able to skate toward his bench where he was met by assistant athletic trainer Dave Zenobi and immediately ushered to the locker room.

I always wondered if players ever got injured from the blade. Poor guy, glad to see it was an accident and that the injured player is doing alright.

I've been playing for a while, and I've seen some nasty cuts. Just last year we had a guy who got his feet tangled up when making a quick move, and somehow his right skate blade came up and cut his inner left thigh. Almost took it to the bone, went thru alot of muscle.

As a goalie, when I heard about this first thing that came to mind was Clint Malarchuk. I know I should probably wear some type of tight fitting neck guard, but I never do.

[quote name='help1']I always wondered if players ever got injured from the blade. Poor guy, glad to see it was an accident and that the injured player is doing alright.[/QUOTE]

It's happened at least once before - in 1989, to a goalie named Clint Malarchuk. It's a complete freak injury, and it's scary to think about how it could have ended differently if the blade had gone a bit deeper or hit a bit differently.

It's a relief to know that he's in stable condition, though. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Yeesh, he's a lucky guy. Also it was reported that Olli Jokinen said the words "there can be only one" during the accident.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Also it was reported that Olli Jokinen said the words "there can be only one" during the accident.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha...good stuff.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']It's happened at least once before - in 1989, to a goalie named Clint Malarchuk. It's a complete freak injury, and it's scary to think about how it could have ended differently if the blade had gone a bit deeper or hit a bit differently.

It's a relief to know that he's in stable condition, though. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.[/quote]
For the curious...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvKlnguJVE[/media]

Geez. You never want to see a player hurt but this was nuts. Almost as bad as the Buffalo goalie back in 89. I wish Zednik the best and hope he can return to the ice without any problems in the future.
Man... that was ugly.

Damn that sucks. I'm surprised he actually was able to get himself to the locker room. Even more surprised that he's doing well. Hope he gets better.

Its a freaking conspiracy, LOL. Relax Zednik, Florida is out of the playoff picture, better recovery and hope for next year. I taught florida would do well this year, oh well

[quote name='geko29']What a freaky coincidence that both neck slices occurred during Buffalo Sabres home games.....[/quote]

Conspiracy??? You be the judge...

2 major incidents, almost two decades apart, leads to the question: should hockey players be forced to wear neck protection? This is obviously extremely rare, but in both cases the players were extremely lucky.

What do you think?

[quote name='shieryda']Conspiracy??? You be the judge...[/quote]

Wasn't implying that it was. But this has to be an INCREDIBLY rare injury (are there more than the two listed here?), and I find it funny (as in odd, not haha) that they both happened in the same place with one of the same teams. That's all.

Myke, I don't think protection should be required for all players, though it does seem somewhat prudent to require it for goalies, who seem to be more at risk and are less mobile anyway. The padding should be available, but players should wear it at their discretion. You can't plan for everything.

[quote name='mykevermin']2 major incidents, almost two decades apart, leads to the question: should hockey players be forced to wear neck protection? This is obviously extremely rare, but in both cases the players were extremely lucky.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Solution: They should just wear them about every twenty years.

It'll be like the Haley's Comet of hockey, except a lot more boring.

[quote name='mykevermin']2 major incidents, almost two decades apart, leads to the question: should hockey players be forced to wear neck protection? This is obviously extremely rare, but in both cases the players were extremely lucky.

What do you think?[/quote]

At least in the lower levels it's enforced pretty well. I coach a high school team, and last night we had a kid taken off the ice because the referee didn't think his neck guard was adequate enough protection. Thankfully he had another one in his bag.

I don't see the professional leagues ever adopting a rule for neck protection. The highest level I could ever see it going would be college. If anything, they will mandate face protection (half shields and/or full cages) in the NHL well before neck protection. Look at the number of potentially serious facial injuries that this could have prevented. I think we're very close to that happening. One more serious eye injury and I think the rule will gain alot of support.

What do you think?[/quote]

There are more eye/face injuries due to high sticks and pucks, but you don't see face shields/eye shields becoming a mandatory piece of equipment. While the skate blade injury may be more serious, I doubt that the league will be implementing neck protection any time soon. They haven't implemented no-touch icing (to curb hits from behind and other such injuries when 2 players are racing to touch the puck), either.:roll:

[quote name='geko29']What a freaky coincidence that both neck slices occurred during Buffalo Sabres home games.....[/QUOTE]

In one of the clips from the most recent accident, you hear one of the announcers say he's never seen anything like it before. The second says "I have" - it turns out he called the game back in 1989. That was chilling.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I'm with Hockey37 in that I think facial protection is a lot more important. After some of the accidents I've seen - including Steve Yzerman being dangerously close to losing an eye after a stick in the face in a playoff game - I'm amazed that more players don't use some kind of shield.

I think it'd work well if they were to grandfather in cages or visors like they did with helmets, as in require all new players to wear it but having exceptions for people who were in the league before the rule came to be. Given that it hasn't happened yet, it seems like the best way to make it happen, especially since most of the younger guys have been wearing shields or cages for their hockey careers and they'd be used to it.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I think it'd work well if they were to grandfather in cages or visors like they did with helmets, as in require all new players to wear it but having exceptions for people who were in the league before the rule came to be. Given that it hasn't happened yet, it seems like the best way to make it happen, especially since most of the younger guys have been wearing shields or cages for their hockey careers and they'd be used to it.[/quote]

I believe this is what will happen eventually, probably sooner rather than later. It won't be full cages, at least not at first. It will be half shields at a minimum.

As stated earlier, I seriously doubt you'll see a required neck guard rule show up in the NHL anytime soon. Obviously players always have the optoin to wear any extra protection they see fit, but it being such a rare injury, and the equipment would probably hinder them somewhat, that almost noone would take the option (except maybe goalies).

[quote name='Warner1281']Just heard on the radio that his condition has been upgraded to "good."[/quote]

They are already suggesting he could come back for the playoffs if Florida makes it (fat chance).

If I remember correctly, Malarchuk came back like only 2 weeks after his accident.

Malarchuk missed the next five games of the regular season but returned to the same goal crease where the injury occurred for the final few minutes of the Sabres' season-finale at the Aud on April 2, a 4-2 win over his former team, the Quebec Nordiques. After some mop-up duty — no pun intended — Malarchuk was congratulated by players on both teams for his remarkable recovery.

[quote name='blackjaw']New NHL rule: Roller Skates?[/quote]

but they still have to play on ice, no THAT would be hilarious.

Knowing that he is fine, that video is just crazy awesome. It is crazy he is alive and awesome that he could even skate on his own after losing all that blood. I am glad he is ok and doing good.

bread's done
Back