Ni No Kuni 54.99 on PSN

Fido_One

CAGiversary!
I haven't seen it hit the online store yet, but some sites are saying that when Ni No Kuni does hit the PSN market, it'll be 54.99, a.k.a. 5 bucks off of retail.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...te-witch-will-be-slightly-cheaper-on-the-psn/

I didn't put this in the PSN thread as I don't really think it fits (not a special deal, just Sony trying to get digital downloads to be generally cheaper). Someone axe this post of it should be on that thread.

[quote name='dgwillia006']It may be 5$ cheaper, but isnt the download like 17GB?[/QUOTE]

That is why I'm loving my AC3 500 gig from amazon for $210

[quote name='likeme']That is why I'm loving my AC3 500 gig from amazon for $210[/QUOTE]
When did this happen? And please don't say "after credits" etc.

[quote name='likeme']That is why I'm loving my AC3 500 gig from amazon for $210[/QUOTE]

I have a 500GB as well. I was more so referring to the amount of time it'd take download/install. Doesnt seem worth it just for a digital version lol

[quote name='TooPoor']When did this happen? And please don't say "after credits" etc.[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly through Amazon Warehouse Deals. I do hate it though when people say some ridiculous price and then dont explain that it was that price because of credits or the $50 they found on the ground or whatever.

[quote name='dgwillia006']It may be 5$ cheaper, but isnt the download like 17GB?[/QUOTE]

I think, errr, 19GB? Meaning you'll need 38GB (double) the space to actually install it if I remember how the PS3 likes to do installs.

If it's like other 16GB+ games, expect a solid hour for install sans downloading. Major pain - but considering that going to a store is too much of a hassle where I am these days, I won't want to trade this game in and it's one of the [very] few games I am willing to get on or close to release day [and pay for it] I'll be going the PSN route.

[quote name='usrevenge']since you can't trade the game back in saving $5 isn't worth it imo.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the few games I would like to keep and own in a collection (and it's also one of the few that won't hit Steam anytime soon or at all). Not having to swap disks out of the system is a nice perk. ...and while I know it's a long-long-long shot, the possibility of a PS4 coming down the road that may eventually BC some popular PSN purchases (ala PS2 and PS1 classics), maybe this will stay with me during the next gen.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Quite possibly through Amazon Warehouse Deals. I do hate it though when people say some ridiculous price and then dont explain that it was that price because of credits or the $50 they found on the ground or whatever.[/QUOTE]
Found $50 on the ground; YMMV.

[quote name='usrevenge']since you can't trade the game back in saving $5 isn't worth it imo.[/QUOTE]

Talking bad about PSN prices on CAG, hmm... Maybe investigate the PS3 forum.

[quote name='TooPoor']When did this happen? And please don't say "after credits" etc.[/QUOTE]

Haha suckers I got it for free, all I had to do was go to work for a few days!

[quote name='tylerh1701']Haha suckers I got it for free, all I had to do was go to work for a few days![/QUOTE]

Sucker, I got it for free using distributions from my trust fund. Passive interest income ftw.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Quite possibly through Amazon Warehouse Deals. I do hate it though when people say some ridiculous price and then dont explain that it was that price because of credits or the $50 they found on the ground or whatever.[/QUOTE]

It was through their warehouse with no credits

...and it's up (via search). I don't see the 13 for 13 deals yet, but that's neither here nor there.

A correction on an earlier post, it reads 21.7 GB (meaning 43.4 GB required for install), the last game I installed that was 18GB (Street Fighter 4) was a solid 2+ hours AFTER download.

EDIT: after purchase it says it's a 16GB download. It's not clear if that's one of two parts though. I'll update if I don't hit the sack beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys are interested in this, go to the PS3 gameshare thread. It's right here on CAG. You can share the game and get this as low as $10. The only problem is having 40GB of free space on your PS3. Most don't have that space. :)

Man, even though it's not much, this is how it should be. Digital games (since we are most likely moving into the digital age soon if not very soon,) should cost half or maybe just 75% of the price. That'll really get people motivated to download more and also=faster payments to the respective companies.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']If you guys are interested in this, go to the PS3 gameshare thread. It's right here on CAG. You can share the game and get this as low as $10. The only problem is having 40GB of free space on your PS3. Most don't have that space. :)[/QUOTE]

As low as 10$ ?

Wouldn't it be as low as 27$ or w.e? since gameshares are only with 2 people

You can gameshare with more than 2 PS3's by downloading it, then deactivating the account, then the next person downloads and then deactivates the account and so on...

[quote name='z3razerviper']5 bucks off is a joke digital releases should be at least 15 to 20 off.[/QUOTE]

I haven't purchased games from PSN, since their prices aren't usually as good as Steam and the physical version of the PS3 games seem to fall down quicker in price than the digital versions. And I prefer the physical version of games anyways due to crappy internet speeds.

[quote name='illennium']Sucker, I got it for free using distributions from my trust fund. Passive interest income ftw.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you still had to pay taxes on the passive income. I got mine tax free by simply stealing it :lol:

[quote name='tylerh1701']Haha suckers I got it for free, all I had to do was go to work for a few days![/QUOTE]

[quote name='illennium']Sucker, I got it for free using distributions from my trust fund. Passive interest income ftw.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you still had to pay taxes on the passive income. Better off stealing to ensure a tax-free transaction :lol:

This game would not wanted to be traded in by you, it's that good.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']For the poor folks who couldn't afford the Wizard Edition.[/QUOTE]

Bread sir, pleas, bread for a poor boy

$5 off digital copy is insane. Why i pay $55 for the game that you can even touch or keep or trade-in for extra cash. Should be MSRP $29.99 - $34.99 for digital release :) But, i waits for HARD copy drop down $20-ish around summer or FALL :)

Still looking forward to this, but don't really have JRPG time right now. There's not a great chance this becomes difficult to find, right? My biggest concern with the digital release is not having enough space on my PS3.

[quote name='Masterkyo']$5 off digital copy is insane. Why i pay $55 for the game that you can even touch or keep or trade-in for extra cash. Should be MSRP $29.99 - $34.99 for digital release :) But, i waits for HARD copy drop down $20-ish around summer or FALL :)[/QUOTE]

They're probably testing the waters on what they can get away with on digital copies. I'm thinking they could probably push a lot of digital sales by putting new games out at 39.99.

The reasoning that $5 off isn't worth it b/c you can't trade in only applies to a portion of the population since there are people like me that keep 99% of my games. I personally value the ability to simply fire up a game from my system at any given time without having to grab a disc. RE space and dl time, I have a 640GB HDD, don't need to play instantly, and can start the download and have it auto-download overnight.

They would never price day-1 full-game releases much lower than $5 off otherwise it would just piss off retailers. The slight possibility would probably be $10 off IFF they sold codes at retail to get the PSN download version.

[quote name='woodcan']The reasoning that $5 off isn't worth it b/c you can't trade in only applies to a portion of the population since there are people like me that keep 99% of my games. I personally value the ability to simply fire up a game from my system at any given time without having to grab a disc. RE space and dl time, I have a 640GB HDD, don't need to play instantly, and can start the download and have it auto-download overnight.

They would never price day-1 full-game releases much lower than $5 off otherwise it would just piss off retailers. The slight possibility would probably be $10 off IFF they sold codes at retail to get the PSN download version.[/QUOTE]

You keep games then you shouldn't buy digital. There is no guarantee that in 20 years that you can play this game on PS or 9 or that its even in their online store or that he online store will support the PS3 then. You know what will be there? That physical copy.

I am certain that we are eventually moving to a world where consoles lock out used games. The publishers do not want to lose money to Gamestop. In that world the re-sale potential of physical copies is moot. It will be $60 for physical copies (largely marketed at people without high-speed broadband) or $50-$55 for digital copies with the occasional sale at the discretion of the publisher.

[quote name='Blaster man']You keep games then you shouldn't buy digital. There is no guarantee that in 20 years that you can play this game on PS or 9 or that its even in their online store or that he online store will support the PS3 then. You know what will be there? That physical copy.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more likely that the PS4 or PS5 will be able to run PS3 digital downloads than either one of them being able to play PS3 discs. Even if it can do neither the assumption is that the game is saved to the harddrive anyway, so it will always be there since, in your theoretical case, he would need to have a PS3 to play the game anyway, regardless of whether or not he has a physical copy.

Like in 20 years it will be a lot more likely that a digital file will be compatible with a current console (assuming there still are consoles) than a physical disc being able to work. So what's the difference between having a physical copy that you can't play without a PS3 (a 20 year old console) or having the same thing saved to the harddrive you've kept on your 20 year old console. You'd still need the original PS3 and either a physical or digital copy (no difference) to play it.

General question to everyone: Is there any reason to think this game will be scarce? It seems like a pretty big release, but it's hard to tell. Again, I don't really have JRPG time right now (and kind of want Pandora's Tower in a couple of months and Fire Emblem in Feb), but don't want to risk missing out on this one.

That argument doesn't make any sense. There's no reason to believe the PS4 will be able to play PS3 game (or the PS5), so either way you are screwed unless you keep your PS3. And then you have what you need to be able to run the digital version. So it's exactly the same situation for either disc or digital version.

[quote name='crunchewy']That argument doesn't make any sense. There's no reason to believe the PS4 will be able to play PS3 game (or the PS5), so either way you are screwed unless you keep your PS3. And then you have what you need to be able to run the digital version. So it's exactly the same situation for either disc or digital version.[/QUOTE]

I agree that PS4 probably won't play PS3 games. Lets put it this way, if I got Earthbound for SNES, it didnt play on my N64. That game will play on another SNES so if mine breaks I can buy another. If you download Ni No Kuni and in 20 years your PS3 breaks you probably won't be able to download it onto another one BUT your physical copy will work on another one.

I thought I had made my meaning clear in the previous post but I guess not. Point is, a collector should have a physical copy. Hell, for all we know Sony could be bankrupt in 10 years. They're doing really badly.

Edit: how would you feel if in 10 or 15 years your PS3 breaks and you can't download it from the store any longer? Then you look for the game on ebay to play on the PS3 you picked up to replace your broken one and you find out it costs $250 to buy a copy of Ni No Kuni?

Again, the game should be on the harddrive which would work with another PS3 anyway. unless you really fuck up your PS3 you would be fine either way, I imagine.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Again, the game should be on the harddrive which would work with another PS3 anyway. unless you really fuck up your PS3 you would be fine either way, I imagine.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you can swap hard drives and all the content just works? That would meantime could copy over your content to another HDD and have another copy of the game for free. regardless, i disagree that buying digital is a good way to "collect" things. If you buy digital you're going to have to go in with the assumption you can lose all your content.

Never tried it with PS3, but I've not had any problems bringing my 360 harddrives to other people's houses over the years and just plugging them in to their 360s. Haven't done it a ton, but I also haven't had any problems when I did even with games with online passes.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Never tried it with PS3, but I've not had any problems bringing my 360 harddrives to other people's houses over the years and just plugging them in to their 360s. Haven't done it a ton, but I also haven't had any problems when I did even with games with online passes.[/QUOTE]

With the 360 you need to be logged into the account on XBL to use it on another console right? So if XBL was down (or shut down) that wouldn't work any longer.

Game look too toonish and child like kinda like that ToToro anime...

I'll pass till it hits the $20 mark, not my type of game

If it had more of a FF feel, I might be all over it

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Game look too toonish and child like kinda like that ToToro anime...

I'll pass till it hits the $20 mark, not my type of game

If it had more of a FF feel, I might be all over it[/QUOTE]

The art is part of the appeal. It's Studio Ghibli art and they make children's movies which is why Disney does the localization for them. Those movies are good for adults to watch as well.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Again, the game should be on the harddrive which would work with another PS3 anyway. unless you really fuck up your PS3 you would be fine either way, I imagine.[/QUOTE]
if you try to install a hard drive from one ps3 to another, you have to format the drive

bread's done
Back