Nintendo 2DS

Because people are stupid.
Reaction-wise, it's sort of like the PSP-Go all over again (but for different reasons, since the Go was more expensive than the PSP). From a consumer and gamer standpoint, we want the companies we like to succeed and continue making games. Nintendo has been under extra scrutiny due to the poor management, marketing, pricing, etc. of the Wii U, so anything they do is going to get a lot of attention. '

As the market changes, it's important for game systems to be consumer-friendly, and selling DSi, 3DS, 3DS XL, and now 2DS all on the same shelf is confusing. Simple as that. Of course, Nintendo might also be onto something in providing different variations of their products that still essentially do the same thing... iPhones and iPads come to mind. For awhile tablets seemed to be giant smartphones without the ability to make calls, but now they're wildly popular. So maybe Nintendo is onto something here.

Personally, I just think the thing is hideous, but their handheld brand is strong enough that they will probably make money off of it.

Reaction-wise, it's sort of like the PSP-Go all over again (but for different reasons, since the Go was more expensive than the PSP). From a consumer and gamer standpoint, we want the companies we like to succeed and continue making games. Nintendo has been under extra scrutiny due to the poor management, marketing, pricing, etc. of the Wii U, so anything they do is going to get a lot of attention. '

As the market changes, it's important for game systems to be consumer-friendly, and selling DSi, 3DS, 3DS XL, and now 2DS all on the same shelf is confusing. Simple as that. Of course, Nintendo might also be onto something in providing different variations of their products that still essentially do the same thing... iPhones and iPads come to mind. For awhile tablets seemed to be giant smartphones without the ability to make calls, but now they're wildly popular. So maybe Nintendo is onto something here.

Personally, I just think the thing is hideous, but their handheld brand is strong enough that they will probably make money off of it.
I think it's one thing to discuss the faults and merits of various products objectively. But then there are the super trolls on CAG who will shit on anything nintendo does. Those people are completely useless and I have no idea why people continue to feed them. It's the ridiculous rage against Nintendo that makes you wonder what their deal is.

As for the 2DS, I thought it was a joke at first but now I see it's geared towards younger kids. I'm still not getting one but I see the market for it.

I don't think it has anything to do with gamers wanting a company to succeed. It's that gamers like to whine. If it was true that they were worried they wouldn't be complaining about the 2DS. It's going to sell well. That much is obvious.

That video fixed one concern, that the thing looked massive. Seeing it next to a Vita and 3DS XL, it doesn't look quite as ridiculous.

I like the concept, just not the execution. I think there's a bigger picture here. Maybe just maybe this some set up for their next handheld platform in a few years, like a gaming tablet. Just a thought.

I'm not too butthurt about the lack of the hinge, but I wish the screen sizes were comparable to the XL. I think that could have justified the price a little better.

I apologize for not being more specific about gamers being angry. I didn't mean here specifically, just the internet as a whole. I just find it funny is all, to be so upset about this.

I somehow feel that there is something in the works with the 2DS and the Wii U, and Nintendo's keeping a tight lip.

I did appreciate the clamshell design for protecting the screens, but I wonder how I'm supposed to carry this new system around for Street Pass, though that's why there's relay points.

I'm in for two. I'd seriously rather have one of these than a regular 3DS/XL and one would be great for my four year old. That red/white one is sexy.
Smart idea. So many people get the 3ds for their children not knowing/caring about the age limit and/or whether or not it's f****** up their kids eyes. That thing is not a joke!

Still thinking about it. I don't know I thought about getting another XL but I just don't think I'll play anything other than Pokemon and can't justify buying another system for that.

I for one am thinking about getting this for my 6 year old son.  He recently picked up a used DSi from a family friend.  He's all about Mario Kart and Super Mario now.  The left shoulder button on the DSi is crapping out.  I have to blow into it at least three times a day.  So I was in the market for a new Nintendo 3DS for him.  I was going back and forth with the 3DS and the 3DSXL.  Yesterday, I stopped in Gamestop to pre-order my collector's edition Jack and they had a Nintendo rep doing a demo on Infinity for the Wii U. I start asking her some questions about the 3DS lineup.  Low and behold, she has a 2DS that I can play with.  So, I messed around with it and comparted some Donkey Kong game on the 2DS and the XL.  My first impressions of the 2DS is that it feels pretty solid and very comfortable in my hand.  I like the d-pad better than the XL and I really like the shoulder buttons.  The screen was super sharp and recessed a little, which I liked.  I always felt the clamshell design was a problem just waiting for him to find.  With the free DSi, it would hurt as bad.  A $200 XL?  Yep, that would sting.  I was actually impressed.  The rep said she had three kids, the oldest always opts for the XL, the youngest the 2DS and the middle is like whatever, lol.  The youngest was 8.  Oldest was 13.  I think that kinda sums up who this it aimed at.  Which my sons age falls into.  

If I were getting this for me, I would opt for the XL all day.  I like big screens.  But for a 6 year old?  I think I am sold on the 2DS.  He can play his DS games and get the new cooler games of the 3DS.  The only thing that bothers me is the mono sound.  But I try to see it through his eyes and wonder if it would be a deal breaker for him.  I am leaning towards no to be honest.  Plus he can always wear headphones if he decides to.  Which might not be a bad thing lol.  

In a few years when he is ready for big boy gaming, there will be something new.  Hell, he might even want a big system that is a current flavor of the that time frame.   

I think this is a great investment for children 6-8 or so.  MAYBE up to ten, I dunno.

I wonder how many kids actually care about mono. Hell, half the time their parents tell them to turn it down anyway.

I would never be seen in public with one of these. It's made for children. Now the normal 3DS is okay since the screen flips open. So if anyone thinks I'm doing something childish when I'm playing Pokemon in public I can just show them how adult it is since it opens and closes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care much about that.

Then again, when I am off work, I wear a Pokemon cap and my key ring has Naruto and Gurren Lagann keyhains.

I seriously doubt a kid would notice the mono sound, heck I usually turn off or turn down the sound on my handhelds. Sound on handhelds is just not something I pay attention to. This system was clearly made for kids under 10 or mom who plays an occasional game at home and doesn't take the system out. It's not meant for an adult who wants to carry their system constantly to get streetpasses, for that there are the other 2 models.

If your kid is 10 though I would suggest one of the other systems because they will likely keep it for a few years, and they won't want to be seen at 13 with a 2DS. But if your kid is 6 that is at least 4 years until they turn 10 and probably at least 2 years after that they can use it without embarrassment and at 4 years the system will be beat so they will be ready for something else probably before then.. So for a 6 year old it would be the perfect choice.

I went to a Gamestop recently, and I overheard a conversation between an employee and customer. The customer wanted to know what's the difference between the 2DS and 3DS. He described the 2DS as "an ugly ass Gameboy Advance." I started laughing then the GS employee started changing his tune. He said "Sorry, it's a wonderful new handheld from Nintendo." Way to sell the 2DS Gamestop. LOL

I told a friend of mine about the 2DS the other day when he was talking about possible gifts for his son for Christmas. At first he thought it was a new DS until I said "It plays the same games as a 3ds, they just took out the 3d to make is cheaper." So yeah I think this will confuse some people at least at first when they hear about it.

Though strangely enough, I'm interested in the system myself. The power switch on my DS broke about a year ago and I don't care about 3d as it gave me a headache every time I tried it. So I don't see a point in getting another DS when this will play 3ds games for me also.

So did this person actually see what the 2DS looked like, or did he just hear about it?  The 2DS looks like a dual-screen tablet, which is a helluva lot different from any DS or 3DS model...for better or worse.  If people are confused by it, I don't know how they don't get confused by iPad > iPad 2 > iPad > iPad (whatever the hell it is now).

And how is a 2DS just a DS when you can still play 3DS games on it?  3DS games don't require 3D, heck some games don't even have it (Pokemon for example, doesn't have it in the overworld, and from what I hear the 3D causes massive slowdown).  Your logic there is baffling the point of me thinking you're trolling.

Early reports about the 2DS strongly indicate that it actually contains a single screen, that is being used for both displays. However, there is an important distinction that many of these accounts are mistaking.

The 2DS may very well have a single screen. But that screen is not just one large touchscreen. Some users seem to be thinking that the 2DS is some manner of crippled tablet, and could serve as a tablet if the top screen was uncovered. But that isn't how the touchscreens work on the DS line of handhelds. With DS models, the touchscreen is actually a separate piece of hardware that is layered over the bottom display. It has its own separate cable leading to the motherboard to convey touch data. It can even be re-calibrated in case it hasn't been lined up perfectly with the back-lit screen beneath it.

For the 2DS, it would be quite easy to place the touchscreen on top of a single LCD screen. Only the touchscreen hardware itself would register touches.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves said it's one screen awhile ago.

And I still want someone to explain to me how it not folding closed makes it childish. I guess the original DS was an adult system or something? Vita doesn't fold closed. Is it made for children?

I went to a Gamestop recently, and I overheard a conversation between an employee and customer. The customer wanted to know what's the difference between the 2DS and 3DS. He described the 2DS as "an ugly ass Gameboy Advance." I started laughing then the GS employee started changing his tune. He said "Sorry, it's a wonderful new handheld from Nintendo." Way to sell the 2DS Gamestop. LOL
Lmao

That dude failed. I talked to the manager at GS about it right after it was announced and we agreed that it's not a bad idea for children and that it is indeed marketed toward children. He and another guy there know how to sell. Bring up the relevant features and let the customer decide.

And I still want someone to explain to me how it not folding closed makes it childish. I guess the original DS was an adult system or something? Vita doesn't fold closed. Is it made for children?
I think it is a combination of the not-folding and the color scheme. If it was all black or metallic or whatever, that would have been more acceptable.

I believe the logic goes like this. A folding system is less prone to damage, and getting the screen scratched. Because it can close on itself, it is more likely to be protected when being handled, or potentially dropped.

An adult who knows how to safely and carefully handle electronics doesn't have any particular need for such precautions. They are sensible enough to manage their handheld, clamshell design or not. A child is not possessed of such caution or common sense, and is more likely to be rougher on their video game system. The added protection of the clamshell design helps to keep the hardware secure and running properly.

I would say it is less about being "childish" than being "child-friendly." Also, being concerned about public appearance in a hobby such as this is just silly.

I'm not concerned about it look ling childish, especially since I'm not getting it. Its just something people keep saying that makes no sense to me since it seems like the opposite of what would be true.

As someone whose first video game handheld was the brick/dot-matrix Gameboy.  I don't think clamshells and removing the 3D slider/feature of the 3DS makes the 2DS more of a child friendly device.  When compared to the original 3DS and 3DS XL.

If you're embarrassed about playing the "newest" Gameboy, then don't play in public.  I so would play my 2DS in public, even more so if Nintendo gave me one or if an awesome bundle was released.

I'm still on the fence on buying a 2DS.  I still have my 3DS XL and a DS Lite.

I still dream of a Nintendo handheld that combines the 3DS with a GBA slot. 

I so would buy a 2DS XL that had a GBA slot on the bottom for GB/GBC/GBA/DS rumble pak.

As a dad, I know I've been considering the 2DS for christmas this year.  There is a lot of good points when buying for a child, not just price.  Of course, we adults want the 3D but it's not meant for us.

For anyone that is interested, Walmart is offering a bundle with the 2ds and the case for $140. Saves a few dollars off buying each individually. The only downside is that it is online and when I checked, site to Store put at 10/21–10/24.

I know it's early, but it does seem to me that the system is selling well enough. My local Target only had one 2DS when I went in today and they're outselling the normal 3DS systems on gamestop.com.

If I didn't already have a 3DS XL, I would probably would have gotten a 2DS whenever it went on sale. (It's cheaper and I don't care about 3D.)

90% of the time I don't use the 3D on my 3DS XL.

Wouldn't even miss it if it wasn't included.

It's a nice gimmick to sell the handheld, but the reason to buy the 3DS is the amazing library of games not because of the 3D capabilities. 

My local Target only had one left in the case at 10:30 am yesterday and dude said they started with 10 at open. This is a rural Target as well, must be selling pretty decently.

If I didn't already have a 3DS XL, I would probably would have gotten a 2DS whenever it went on sale. (It's cheaper and I don't care about 3D.)
I'd have still gone XL for the bigger screens. I seldom use the 3d. Also prefer the clam shell design so I can just chuck it in a bag with no case needed.

Price not hugely different for me either since I nabbed the XL when it was $160 at Target this spring.

I'd have still gone XL for the bigger screens. I seldom use the 3d. Also prefer the clam shell design so I can just chuck it in a bag with no case needed.

Price not hugely different for me either since I nabbed the XL when it was $160 at Target this spring.
I picked up the 3DS XL when it went on sale too, but I do suspect the 2DS will go on sale eventually as well. To me it seems like it will hit near $100 when it's on sale or come with a $30 game.

(I think I paid $160 for the Pikachu 3DS XL and I got a free downloadable copy of Super Mario 3D Land.)

Since there is one screen does anyone know if it can display one image across the entire thing?  It is a nice size - I'm wondering if you could tear one apart and use the screen for something...

Since there is one screen does anyone know if it can display one image across the entire thing?
In theory? Yes, it should be able to. I'm not exactly certain how you would get a signal to it. I don't think the connection is standard for a video screen. But if you know how to go about tinkering with LCD video signals, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do that.

It's worth noting that the single screen is not itself a touchscreen. A lot of people have been confusing this on the 2DS. The DS line has never used single-unit touchscreens. The part of the DS handhelds that registers touches is a separate piece of hardware from the LCD screen. This is the way it has been for all of them, and this persists for the 2DS. The "touchscreen" portion of the 2DS is a thin piece of plastic that rests on top of the LCD, and only covers the area of the bottom "screen." It has its own separate wiring to the motherboard. This method for registering touch events is part of the reason why this kind of modification was even possible for the 2DS.

Right - there is a grid in that thin piece of plastic and when you press on the screen the grid is broken so the unit knows where your finger is.  I'm sure someone will figure out how to get a signal to the screen.  I'm thinking that screen with a Raspberry Pi would make a sweet little arcade machine.

In theory? Yes, it should be able to. I'm not exactly certain how you would get a signal to it. I don't think the connection is standard for a video screen. But if you know how to go about tinkering with LCD video signals, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do that.

The 2DS along with many small electronic devices with an integrated screen use a proprietary format called LVDS or Low Voltage Differential Signaling. This is an umbrella term since every device has it implemented differently. There currently exists a video output capture device for the 3DS although not sure if this mean the video signal can be reverse engineered to output to a 2DS screen.

I'm totally buying this, assuming it comes out here.

630x.jpg

Yeah, there's a bunch of things wrong with the hardware and packaging that gave that off as a fake, such as the lack of serial number on the hardware and that not being the official 30th anniversary logo on the packaging.

Does anyone know if there are any 2DS bundles that will be coming out?
The Black Friday Bundles area Luigi's Mansion 3DS and a Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL. There's no 2DS from what I've seen.

Maybe Wal-Mart will have something, but their ad has not been released.

I'm planning to pick one up sometimes during the holiday sales, I personally don't even put on my 3d on my regular 3ds because of battery drain and on the my 3ds xl, the 3d isn't that good on the big screen. 

bread's done
Back