Nintendo 2DS

I guess this system will at least not scratch its own top screen, so that's a plus. I'm in the market to upgrade my 3DS to something new with my top screen being all scratched up and the B button barely working thanks to Animal Crossing, but I'm avoiding this like the plague. I'll get a 3DS XL when they go on sale next time so I can have something that's portable and an improvement on the original 3DS.

The physical design seems like it comes with the same seeds that resulted in that last Wii model.

This is probably aimed at parents and people who do not know that the 3D can be turned or locked off. It isn't a clam shell so they can more accurately show that this is a different model instead of what they did with WiiU.

Somebody else asked about the WiiMini. That was never sold outside Canada, IIRC, or at least not in the US, so it isn't a fair comparison. GB Micro or GB Pocket is a better comparison.

I see this being a hit. Nintendo isn't catering to our audience with this. They are going for casual gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the 2DS doing quite well. It's $40 cheaper, it will probably be sold at sub-$100 when it's on sale, it's harder for kids to break a slate than a clam shell and the 3D screen is bad for kids' eyes anyway. The 2DS is clearly not being targeted at me, but I can see it doing well with the intended market. With its price point I can also see it selling as an impulse purchase for people going on a trip.

The L and R buttons look way more comfortable than they are on the current 3ds/xl.

I always hate playing games that use those buttons often because theyre so uncomfortable to use.
You sure about that? Look at the kid playing it in the video:

BSxTVHhCQAIiqs9.jpg

Putting them on top of the top screen looks uncomfortable as all hell. Seriously, this thing is a giant square with zero ergonomics.

I think instead of the literal meaning of upset, he means that people are extremely reactive to whatever Nintendo is doing.

Who cares what Nintendo is doing with their brand.  

The same type of people wrote off the 3DS when it initially launched and at the present moment it is the #1 selling console and has arguably the best library within a first 2 year span of any console. 

Obviously Nintendo knows a little more about the video game business than the average reactive "hardcore" gamer. 

I think you guys are missing the point of this. As others said, it is not marketed to gamers older than 7. It's really meant for young kids. My 3 year old plays on my XL now, but I would much prefer he play on something like the 2DS that seems much more durable than the hinged 3DS XL. If it hits the $99 mark on sale, I may bite. The compatibility with 3DS games gives it a leg up over the vanilla DS models.

You sure about that? Look at the kid playing it in the video:

BSxTVHhCQAIiqs9.jpg

Putting them on top of the top screen looks uncomfortable as all hell. Seriously, this thing is a giant square with zero ergonomics.
Looks good to me. Rounded > Corners that Nintendo has decided was a good idea for some reason since the SP.

L and R remind of of the GBA or even the Snes controller. Way more comfortable.

I think you guys are missing the point of this. As others said, it is not marketed to gamers older than 7. It's really meant for young kids. My 3 year old plays on my XL now, but I would much prefer he play on something like the 2DS that seems much more durable than the hinged 3DS XL.
Wouldn't it just be easier to teach kids to take care of their stuff? I mean, I don't know how careful your kid is when he games, but I see a ton of kids who have no respect for their handhelds and don't even try to keep them in good condition.

I really don't like the design for this thing. Seems like dust will be getting in the buttons and on the screen all the time.

I think instead of the literal meaning of upset, he means that people are extremely reactive to whatever Nintendo is doing.

Who cares what Nintendo is doing with their brand.

The same type of people wrote off the 3DS when it initially launched and at the present moment it is the #1 selling console and has arguably the best library within a first 2 year span of any console.

Obviously Nintendo knows a little more about the video game business than the average reactive "hardcore" gamer.
I really don't know anyone writing Nintendo off when the 3DS came out until the sales numbers came in. They had to do a massive price cut in order to save the system.

This thing is ugly as hell, but if it were $30 cheaper less people would be complaining. Right now it's a portable that isn't portable, and overpriced.

If this had the same screen size as a XL then the price would be fine, as is it's just too much for such an ugly, strange product.

I can say - as a parent - I would not want this for my kid.

He's now way too old for this, but he had a DS when he was younger, and the clamshell design was what made me comfortable with him having it.

Close it and it sleeps.  You can toss it in a bag or a backpack or put it somewhere and it won't get scratched or destroyed.  It didn't take up much space.  All of these were great design elements which made it perfect for young children.  Hell, folding it closed to sleep it made dealing with putting away the system much easier for both kids and parents.

This is taking that design and going backwards.  That's why people are complaining.  If you want to design for kids, fine, but they deserve good design, too.

I love how people are saying you can just throw a 3DS in a backpack or whatever like the outside of it is indestructible and scratch proof.

Not to mention with the regular 3DS the inside gets scratched just from closing it. Now that's bad design, not the 2DS.

I love how people are saying you can just throw a 3DS in a backpack or whatever like the outside of it is indestructible and scratch proof.

Not to mention with the regular 3DS the inside gets scratched just from closing it. Now that's bad design, not the 2DS.
My understanding is that newer 3ds' don't scratch when closing. That was when they launched and Nintendo never admitted it was happening just like how they never admitted that wii connect 24 was ruining people's GPU.

Ars has a good article on making the 2DS a tablet, which is what I think they should have done... especially since the system uses one big screen anyway. Basically, they have a big touch screen that's partially hidden (which is cheaper than having two smaller screens apparently, one of which would need to be a touch screen).

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/how-the-2ds-could-have-been-nintendos-first-true-portable-tablet/

My understanding is that newer 3ds' don't scratch when closing. That was when they launched and Nintendo never admitted it was happening just like how they never admitted that wii connect 24 was ruining people's GPU.
I remember how the underside of my Wii became super warped when I left WC24 on but didn't use the system for 8 months.

^ I have a launch black 3DS that I put top/bottom screen protectors on immediately after purchasing and I don't have a single screen scratch. I have small impressions on the top screen protector but they don't go all the way through.

I have a regular 3DS and I've never had an issue with the inside screens getting scratched. All I do is make sure there isn't dust on the screen before I close it, which really isn't a hard thing to do. The outside of it got a few small scratches before I got a pouch for it, but in all honesty I'd rather the outside than the inside of the system get scratched (well, I'd rather neither get scratched, but still).

I really don't see why they came up with this new design. What was wrong with the old one? It makes it look like they're trying to go backwards.

^ I have a launch black 3DS that I put top/bottom screen protectors on immediately after purchasing and I don't have a single screen scratch. I have small impressions on the top screen protector but they don't go all the way through.
It's still bad design.

Besides, throw some screen protectors on the 2DS and you can throw it in a backpack or whatever as well. Not a big deal.
I have a regular 3DS and I've never had an issue with the inside screens getting scratched. All I do is make sure there isn't dust on the screen before I close it, which really isn't a hard thing to do. The outside of it got a few small scratches before I got a pouch for it, but in all honesty I'd rather the outside than the inside of the system get scratched (well, I'd rather neither get scratched, but still).

I really don't see why they came up with this new design. What was wrong with the old one? It makes it look like they're trying to go backwards.
Well if you're putting it in a pouch anyway...the 2DS will also have one. Makes the point kind of moot.

Okay. The point came up that the 3DS is not safe for those under 7 y/o.

Do you think that someone under 7 is going to give a flying fuck about the difference in graphics/resolution on a DS as compared to a 2DS regardless if the purchaser is trying to be a cheapass or just give their child something they can use and abuse while not losing much sleep over the possibility that it might break?

You could realistically buy a preowned DS three times before you spend $130
lemme guess... you don't know anyone under 7 do you?

Hey you could also give them a rubber ball if you are that worried.

lemme guess... you don't know anyone under 7 do you?

Hey you could also give them a rubber ball if you are that worried.
Yeah I mean all the kids under 7 are going to be super pissed if they don't get a PS4 or Xbox One this year because the entitlement disease is infecting kids at a younger age.

What are you talking about? You make it sound like kids (under 7) are going to flip their shit if someone gets them a generation old console.

Get real. We're talking about 3, 4, 5, 6 y/o. I'm not sure where you grew up or how you were raised but most kids aren't that entitled and if they are.... can you say bad parenting?

Really who is this appealing to? I don't buy the 3-6 age range idea. If they're having trouble taking care of their stuff, they must be either running around standing up while playing a handheld or are not mature enough to play video games. No matter how you play a handheld system, you're always sitting down holding the handheld perfectly still, in place. The only damage i can think of is unintentionally dropping it, which really is diminished when at sitting position or if you invest in a case (i.e. nerf).

Really the only demographic I can see this for is for those without stereo-vision/don't care for 3d and want to save $30... If the system were priced to be $99, it would be a whole different story. IMO the the larger screen and folding form factor is justified with the 3ds xl price.

Honestly, there's one upside to all of this.  Between this and the Wii U, Nintendo is inching closer and closer to going the way of Sega and becoming a third-party software developer.  No longer will people need to shell out $300 for an extra console every generation just to play Mario and Zelda.

Imagine... Mario's Ultimate SNES Collection on PS4 or PS5.

Imagine... Nintendo putting real effort into Mario games again, instead of pumping out New Super Mario Whatever every few months to a console where there isn't yet much else to buy.

Imagine... playing Zelda with two analog sticks, instead having to shake or draw on your controller.

Imagine... no more friend codes.

I like the idea, but design is just weird and looks uncomfortable. They should have redesigned the original 3DS model with the cleaner design of the XL, the three click hinge and removed the 3D.

I hadn't thought of it before, but without folding, it won't do the best thing that the DS and 3ds do: sleep mode. They could probably do a software update to put it in the power settings sort of like the Vita, but this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Really the only demographic I can see this for is for those without stereo-vision/don't care for 3d and want to save $30... If the system were priced to be $99, it would be a whole different story. IMO the the larger screen and folding form factor is justified with the 3ds xl price.
Haha Well I can't see 3d, I have nonbinocular vision, and I definitely don't want one =)

Why does it have two cameras on the back still if it can't do 3d? guess it can't do 3d photos but still scans in those cards?

Honestly, there's one upside to all of this. Between this and the Wii U, Nintendo is inching closer and closer to going the way of Sega and becoming a third-party software developer. No longer will people need to shell out $300 for an extra console every generation just to play Mario and Zelda.
Inching is a good word. At this rate, Nintendo would go 3rd party in...2025? 2030?

What the heck is Patchering?
He spelled it wrong. He meant to type "Pachtering." It is a reference to Michael Pachter, a well-known business analyst who is often hired for his take on the video game industry. This use of the man's name is meant to imply that we're all arm-chair-analyzing the video game industry, which is true enough.

I'm a fan of these sorts of odd system variants. I love my GB Micro. If they make a 2DS with an old school Gameboy deco, I'll probably get pulled in too. The Classic NES GBA SP was my first GBA.

I use the 3D on my 3DS all the time, but can acknowledge that it is not always necessary. I appreciate the new form factor, performance improvements, and lower price point this new SKU provides. If it hits $100, which it should on sale or with gift card bonuses, I could easily see picking one up.

The thing is, the GB Micro had a clear design intention behind it. It was the most portable handheld Nintendo would put out. Now for the 2DS, yeah, they're taking out the 3d to save on costs. But is it really justified with the $30 cut? It's like they're taking a step forward, but can't move their back foot. They're back and forth on decision making and the 2DS is the result of that.

Again, everyone wouldn't have a problem with the unit costing $99. That would be insane. A very cheap console which most people would get just to play Pokemon (i assume it relies little on 3d). If there was a Pokemon 2DS bundle priced at $129, now THAT would sell like hotcakes.

It would be great if the 2DS encourages more developers to make touch-focused games that were great on the DS but didn't work with the 3DS' focus of putting the action and important information on the top screen.

It would be great if the 2DS encourages more developers to make touch-focused games that were great on the DS but didn't work with the 3DS' focus of putting the action and important information on the top screen.
The general design of the 2DS is more conducive to the kind of design that went into Hotel Dusk. Changing the default orientation of the 2DS is more feasible, thanks to the solidity of the one-piece construction.

Dividing the development scene for a platform is never a good idea. But perhaps we will see a few experiments come out of this. The DS platform is cheaper for development than full-blown home consoles, after all.

I noticed that this afternoon. I don't think they were ready for the rage of the internet to tear that very sturdy piece of plastic apart.
Personally, I just thought it was really a bad idea. Since you can (apparently) turn off 3D and password protect that so the kids can't turn it back on, who cares? Also, if this is really aimed at children 7 and under, it's not really supposed to have much of a life expectancy. I have a 5 year old that's getting a 3DS for Christmas. Why the fuck would I buy this thing that is "better" for her for only 2 years??

Personally, I just thought it was really a bad idea. Since you can (apparently) turn off 3D and password protect that so the kids can't turn it back on, who cares? Also, if this is really aimed at children 7 and under, it's not really supposed to have much of a life expectancy. I have a 5 year old that's getting a 3DS for Christmas. Why the fuck would I buy this thing that is "better" for her for only 2 years??
It's possible they feel they've hurt their sales by having the age disclaimer on the current 3DS about 3D and children who's eyesight is still developing. I'm sure they do marketing polls and shit like that, and the DS was popular with pretty much everyone. By marketing a specific version of this to that age demographic, they'll circumvent the recommended age restriction which probably has stopped a handful of parents from buying their kids a 3DS.

In my experience, though, most parents don't even look at the ratings on violent games, so I can't imagine it's a huge market for people who have been dissuaded by the age thing.

It's possible they feel they've hurt their sales by having the age disclaimer on the current 3DS about 3D and children who's eyesight is still developing. I'm sure they do marketing polls and shit like that, and the DS was popular with pretty much everyone. By marketing a specific version of this to that age demographic, they'll circumvent the recommended age restriction which probably has stopped a handful of parents from buying their kids a 3DS.

In my experience, though, most parents don't even look at the ratings on violent games, so I can't imagine it's a huge market for people who have been dissuaded by the age thing.
Considering most people probably haven't experienced this....let me explain it. There are almost no games for any age below 5. Good luck getting a 3 year old to play a game that's "E for everyone" for example. They make games rated "ec" for early childhood. There used to only be a couple of them but a bunch have come out recently. AFAIK they're all for DS and not 3DS though....

So maybe it's hurting sales but there's no content for most of that age range on 3DS anyway.

Can someone explain to me why the internet is so seemingly just downright angry over this product?

It's not replacing the current 3DS or 3DSXL models. You're not being led at gunpoint to purchase the hardware.

It's simply not for you, for Christ's sake.

Can someone explain to me why the internet is so seemingly just downright angry over this product?

It's not replacing the current 3DS or 3DSXL models. You're not being led at gunpoint to purchase the hardware.

It's simply not for you, for Christ's sake.
Because people are stupid.

I'm in for two. I'd seriously rather have one of these than a regular 3DS/XL and one would be great for my four year old. That red/white one is sexy. 

I think US only get red/black which I don't like.  If we get a red/white, I am in.  (gamestop only have red/black blue/black, is red/white somewhere else?)

edit: looks like red/white is EU only. sad :(

bread's done
Back