Nintendo 2DS

I like the idea of it, but I wouldn't get one.  My only reasoning for it, is that it doesn't fold.  I have used the 3-D function probably about 2% of the time I have had it,which is launch day. This is cheaper too, so I'm not even mad at anyone that buys one, also, it feels GREAT in my hands

I have one and really enjoy it.  It fits nice in the hands.  Not folding is a non issue to me and I bet to 90% of the kids out there.  Lets face it, everyone is carrying 7" or 10" tablets around and they do not fold..  I think that is a non issue for parents.

I have to laugh at people saying they would be embarrassed to be seen in public with this but have no issue playing Pokemon in public when they are in their 30's or 40's... :)  Just find that funny..

It's a really nice handheld, I have pretty much every handheld made including the original gameboy which I still play.  I like the 2DS..  I will be picking up the new Zelda 3DS XL Bundle so the 2DS might get a little rest..  

I'm not sure if I asked this but does the 2DS play Netflix like the 3DS and  3DS XL?

I'm going to buy one, or at least considering it, for the daughter of a close friend of mine. I think she would use it for netflix just as much as gaming so I want to make sure it can do that adequately.

The hardware is the exact same as the regular 3DS, just lacking 3D
Okay thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a watered down OS but if the software is the same then that is all I need to know.

Anyone heard anything about new colors that may be announced between now and X-mas? Red and blue is kind of blah

How long until someone mods this thing for a 3D slider?
The screen in the unit isn't capable of 3D, it ain't gonna happen.

It's like someone saying they're going to mod their old VCR to play DVDs.

I'm not sure if I asked this but does the 2DS play Netflix like the 3DS and 3DS XL?

I'm going to buy one, or at least considering it, for the daughter of a close friend of mine. I think she would use it for netflix just as much as gaming so I want to make sure it can do that adequately.
Youtube was recently announced for release later this year as well. There's also a Hulu Plus app if she has access to that service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the 3D feature requires a completely separate screen that is specifically designed for displaying 3D without glasses. The only way to "patch in" 3D support to the 2DS is to rip out its one screen, and figure out a way to re-integrate the original 3DS's 2 screens. Given the way in which the 2DS is built, I suspect this is not possible, and I can guarantee it isn't worth the trouble or expense. By the time you were finished, you could probably have just bought multiple 3DSs for the same price.

The $100 Wal-Mart price is very tempting. It places it within range of my Christmas gift-ing. Unfortunately most of my nuclear family and friends aren't that interested in getting one.

I guess I misunderstood the hardware being exactly the same other than the 3D - I had just assumed everything was made exactly the same way but the unit would be always in 2D mode.

I guess I misunderstood the hardware being exactly the same other than the 3D - I had just assumed everything was made exactly the same way but the unit would be always in 2D mode.
Yeah, the loss of 3D screen is part of the cost cutting on this model.

Yes, for the 2DS, Nintendo was primarily focused on stripping the system down to the bare essentials. It is ultimately more of a price reduction than anything else. The 2DS probably costs significantly less to produce than either the 3DS or 3DS XL. By stripping out the need for a glasses-free 3D top screen, they opened up all sorts of cost-cutting opportunities. The 2DS only has one LCD screen. The images for the top and bottom are just rendered on the same screen. Combined with the no-hinge design, the 2DS is drastically cheaper to produce and assemble. (only one screen, virtually no moving parts) The 2DS is ideal for Nintendo to pitch to a budget-sensitive audience, while still allowing them to turn a profit on the hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to pay a license for the 3D for each system too,right? Which would make the 3D ones more expensive. It's a good gift item bug make sure the family who gets it knows the games cost $40 each, if you don't give it with a game or 2 it's an expensive paperweight, so really it's more like a $150-200 gift. But that is true with every game console, although this one seems to have the least amount of available deals, not like the other systems where there are lots of $10 games.

I personally prefer the folding system since that makes it more portable, and with streetpass I need to carry this everywhere so I need it to be as small and light as possible so I don't have to leave it behind, ever. Otherwise I would have gone right for this model as I never use the 3D.

A friend of mine got a 2DS the other day and I played around with it. It isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, but I'd still prefer the 3DS style more than this brick. 

I ordered one via Wal-Mart since it was only $99. I'm in that percentage of people who just can't see that type of 3D so paying extra for a feature which I physically can't use seemed silly.

I ordered one via Wal-Mart since it was only $99. I'm in that percentage of people who just can't see that type of 3D so paying extra for a feature which I physically can't use seemed silly.
I did the same, but I am not regretting not getting the 3DS model because the 2DS barely fits in a pocket. It just seems hard to carry around. Still $99 wasn't a bad price if you don't care about 3D. I am overall happy with the purchase.

I did the same, but I am not regretting not getting the 3DS model because the 2DS barely fits in a pocket. It just seems hard to carry around. Still $99 wasn't a bad price if you don't care about 3D. I am overall happy with the purchase.
To be fair, the 3DS XL is also something that is not pocket friendly. I had my 3DS XL for over a week now and it's great, but it's really big and heavy. I'm sure it would fit fine in like.. cargo shorts/pants, but my god, it would be so heavy.

The 2DS @ $100 is a great price. Don't worry about not being able to put it in a pocket, just get the case and you'll be able to toss it in a bag !

To be fair, the 3DS XL is also something that is not pocket friendly. I had my 3DS XL for over a week now and it's great, but it's really big and heavy. I'm sure it would fit fine in like.. cargo shorts/pants, but my god, it would be so heavy.

The 2DS @ $100 is a great price. Don't worry about not being able to put it in a pocket, just get the case and you'll be able to toss it in a bag !
I actually make sure to exclusively wear cargo pants or my jacket with pockets for this reason haha I'm trying to get a cool case for it like this one here:

http://www.play-asia.com/possum-shoulder-bag-for-3ds-ll-boo-version-paOS-13-49-en-70-59gh.html

I had the Metal Gear Solid 3DS pouch for my regular 3DS, and I would like to have something like that for my XL, got the Zelda one btw, it's awesome!

I thought about ordering one of the official cases/pouches but I just knew that this thing would get played mostly at home and in bed. (and sure enough that's exactly how it's been)

I have the Zelda 3DS XL, Mario and Luigi 3DS XL, Normal 3DS and the 2DS now...

I honestly like the 2DS out of all of them. The bigger screen is nice on the XL but I just like how the 2DS feels in my hands..

Go for it, totally worth it.
Eeeesh, I don't know. I don't think I would swap a Vita for a 2DS and one game. But then, I really like my Vita, and have a decent number of games for it. While the 2DS is pretty great, it is also the cheapest of Nintendo's current line of handhelds. I was able to get one on Black Friday for just $100. The Vita is twice that at it's standard price, and a good $70 more at most of its sale prices. And Ocarina of Time is not one of the newer games. I would insist on at least a second game thrown into the mix before making a trade like that. Whoever gets the Vita would be coming out ahead in that exchange, especially if you throw in any of the accessories and memory cards.

Finally got some hands-on time with a 2DS. I desperately wanted to like it! But the smaller screen size ended up being more of a deal breaker than I anticipated. Glad I didn't buy one after all. 

as I buyer of a 2DS, I got to say.....I like it. Lets get the big thing out the way, 3D does nothing to me and if I got a 3DS, it would be off more than on and if it was on, it would be to show ppl then right back to off, so that's that. the form factor isn't that bad. I am used to play on a DS Light however, I been used to my iphone and been using as such. The buttons are higher than I'd like but nothing that couldnt take getting used to. I got for 100 bucks on BF and was able to pass the savings to a copy of AC NL (25) and Paper Mario SS (10). The only problem I would have is that it is not pocket friendly. I usually use a messenger bag anyway or attache so it's not too bad. all in all, it's a good little system and it does what I need it to do. It's not for everyone but it is just right for me. This is great for kids and broke gamers (like me) in the sub $100 range, I wouldn;t pay MSRP for it. That's my two cents.

I went to a White Elephant party on New Year's Eve. (a common tradition for me, it's a party I usually attend) I had acquired a 2DS on Black Friday from Wal Mart, for the $100 sale price. But up to that point I had never had a reason to open it up. I went to the trouble of inquiring about screen protectors for the 2DS, but no one seemed to have any. So when New Year's Eve rolled around I decided to wrap up my unopened 2DS and give it away as a White Elephant gift. I always like to bring at least one gift that I know everyone is going to want.

Sure enough, the 2DS was one of the most-stolen gifts at the party. The couple who ended up walking away with it have three young boys. So I believe it has found a good home, and will get plenty of use in the coming year. Since the 2DS is still so new, I'm not really worried about adding it to my collection. There will be plenty of time, and other sales in the future. Besides, I already got one of the special-edition Year-of-Luigi 3DS XLs this year. That will do me just fine for 3DS games in 2014.

Hopefully down the line there will be a nice LE for the 2DS. Old school Gameboy colors would be fantastic.
Oh man that would be sick... I am loving my 2DS.. Played 6 straight hours of Zelda and no issue with hand cramping.. Haven't even picked up my regular 3DS or my 3DS XL yet..

LE sounds good!. The only thing that prevent me from picking up a 2DS is the color.  If it had just be white instead of black base like the EU version I would've picked it up day 1. 

If only the luigi themed 2ds was real, the unit would have sell like pancakes. Also waiting for an LE for the 2ds before i pick one up. Regular colors wont cut it for me anymore.

I would have loved to have an all black one or a Game Boy color scheme. Get on both, Nintendo, make it happen.

bread's done
Back