Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big the screen difference between the two?

[quote name='teknomedic']oops.. I missed the "XL" part... that does make it harder choice. Hmmm... but I would think that the XL prices will drop when 3DS releases. Maybe not instantly, but within a year.

I would be all over an XL myself if it supported GBA games. Oh well. :)

I wonder if a modder/hacker could take a GBA slot from a Lite and mod an XL to play those games... hmmmm...[/QUOTE]

iPods are nowhere near the same league as Sony and Nintendo. Whoop-dee-doo, EA and Taito have made a few games on it. The rest of the stuff in the App Store is a vast wasteland of crap and shovelware.

If you haven't noticed, Apple themselves are doing a miserable effort to assert the iPod as a viable gaming alternative.

[quote name='Nohbdy']iPods are nowhere near the same league as Sony and Nintendo. Whoop-dee-doo, EA and Taito have made a few games on it. The rest of the stuff in the App Store is a vast wasteland of crap and shovelware.

If you haven't noticed, Apple themselves are doing a miserable effort to assert the iPod as a viable gaming alternative.[/QUOTE]

I agree. There is nothing on there that can compete with a full game like Crisis Core or Dragon Quest IX. Even if there is a "good" game. Have fun poking the screen for all controls. So shit.

[quote name='caltab']A download only hand held already exists and its incredibly successful- the ipod touch. Apple's proven it can work, but the key is the cut throat app store environment that makes pricing extremely affordable. I think part of why the go failed was due to the lack of backwards compatibility and lack of games on the playstation store(a lot of UMD games are not in their). If they start fresh with a new console they won't have that problem. But, I really doubt Sony, or Microsoft and Nintendo for that matter, will ever have a store with such low prices as apple's.

I know people will dismiss apple as not being a real system, but thats just no longer the case. Gameloft and EA are releasing legit stuff all the time for very cheap. Nintendo themselves recognize and acknowledged the threat.[/QUOTE]

The touch/iphone is nothing but a time waster. It's fun to waste a few minutes and better than reading that magazine in the doctor's office, but in no way could this thing ever beat any other handheld.

They hit the dollar market, and most of everything that you can find has been freely available in some form on a Java/Flash/Facebook/PC emulator ever.

There might be some full fledged games like Square's FF or that Gameloft game, but other than that it's clone after clone after shitty clone.

There is only so much your finger can do, and only so much you can see with your damn fingers in the way...

Biggest hassle I have is every freaking control requires you to cover up 20% of the screen at all times and if it's dual left/right controls, practically half of it coverd.

God do I hate the fucking thing... I would NEVER pay for any shitty game, and been hording the free apps... some are better than others, but they can't stand up to a printed pressed DS or PSP game.

Even the DSIware is trumping almost everything on it. If Nintendo would promote it more and make it easier, the touch controls are far superior.

On topic, I'm waiting for 2nd Gen, blue and Black are meh, and I'll wait for a good price drop.

the iOS thread is by far one of the most popular threads on CAG and there are a ton of quality games on the system. I love my ds, but I have barely touched it the last 12 months, but play the crap out of my ipad and iphone. Puzzle Quest 2, GTA: Chinatown wars, Carcassone, Sword and Poker, Infinity blade, Game Dev Story, all of popcap games, world of Goo, the list goes on and on of quality titles. I can't even think of a new DS game I wanted the last few months. Sure there is a lot of crap, but there are more good new releases on that are iOS then on either Nintendo or PSP. Both Sony and Nintendo recognize Apple as a legit competitor because they are one. Maybe it's just that my tastes are changing to more casual, but its a huge market and one that Nintendo really tries to go after. There is no doubt iOS costs them sales, I guess its just a question of how much. According to a Nielsen survey more kids wanted an ipad for Xmas then a DS. Competition is good for cheapasses too.

Am I the only that thinks that this handheld console is too overpriced? It doesn't really catch my eye. PSP on the other hand is still a winner when it comes to having/making handheld consoles. :D

[quote name='caltab']the iOS thread is by far one of the most popular threads on CAG and there are a ton of quality games on the system. I love my ds, but I have barely touched it the last 12 months, but play the crap out of my ipad and iphone. Puzzle Quest 2, GTA: Chinatown wars, Carcassone, Sword and Poker, Infinity blade, Game Dev Story, all of popcap games, world of Goo, the list goes on and on of quality titles. I can't even think of a new DS game I wanted the last few months. Sure there is a lot of crap, but there are more good new releases on that are iOS then on either Nintendo or PSP. Both Sony and Nintendo recognize Apple as a legit competitor because they are one. Maybe it's just that my tastes are changing to more casual, but its a huge market and one that Nintendo really tries to go after. There is no doubt iOS costs them sales, I guess its just a question of how much. Competition is good for cheapasses too.[/QUOTE]

And the only reason it is, is because it was an MP3 player first. Then they added the whole iOS with wifi, and the iphone followed too.

It's a phone, it's a music player, and does alot of other stuff too.

It's only a threat only because of the shear number... kinda like viruses and Window OSes....

Casual market is very casual, but I have to say, the ones that would put this device over a DS/PSP, probably NEVER would own one anyways.

I'm hoping the VC on the 3DS really comes out full force.

I still want a 3ds-mostly for 1st party titles, I was manly trying to say Apple is proving a download only system can be very successful AND consumer friendly...unlike the psp go. Apple's success should be a good thing for the consumer, because its creating an expectation that you should be able to download games as many times as you want to as many systems as you want for as long as you want. Unlike nintendo's horrible download policies that don't let you transfer purchases. It's also setting a very low price point for games. If a game is simultaneously released on the iOS for 5-10 bucks, you'd think eventually a Sony or Nintendo download only system would have to have similar pricing. As long as their is physical media they will have an excuse to charge more.

OOT looks great, too bad it won't be in the launch window. Also disappointed the system apparently won't have the online stuff like Eshop up Day 1. I'm somewhat tempted to buy one at launch and just try some demos and such till stuff like OOT and MGS3 comes out, but from the looks of it, either have to find some launch game to buy or my 3DS just becomes a glorified DSi for the time being.

It blows my mind that Nintendo is still going to rely on Friends codes for the 3DS (albeit improved over the DS mess). Talk about handicapping the multiplayer aspect from the starting gates, my god. For a company that so many claim to be cutting edge, they seem so damn behind the times a lot.

I use my iphone every hour if not more often ... I use my DSi once a month at the most ... guess which one's successor I will be buying. Have fun with gimmicky overpriced 3D ports while I have fun poking the screen.

I know this will be great, but Nintendo has proven that they will make updated iterations of this thing and I can't just drop $250 on something I simply won't play much, right now.
I'll bide my time.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but the biggest issue I have with the 3DS is that it's initial lineup is extremely lacking and even the DSi tends to cater to kids, so I think I may have simply outgrown owning a Nintendo handheld. Sure there was a game that came out every so often that really blew me away for the DS but overall there is just as much shovelware on the DS as there is on the iphone.

Street Fighter, Steel Diver and Pilot Wings look like must haves. Preordered both colors, but going to cancel one when I finally decide on a color.

I really like the Blue/black combo. Maybe it's because it's the first one they showed off (first one I saw at least) but when I think of the 3DS that's the color that comes to mind.

[quote name='Nohbdy']iPods are nowhere near the same league as Sony and Nintendo. Whoop-dee-doo, EA and Taito have made a few games on it. The rest of the stuff in the App Store is a vast wasteland of crap and shovelware.

If you haven't noticed, Apple themselves are doing a miserable effort to assert the iPod as a viable gaming alternative.[/QUOTE]

iPods, yeah, they aren't in the same league.

But the iPhone and iPad? Have you played Chaos Rings yet? Aralon? Battle for Wesnoth, Carcassone, Crimson Gem Saga, Dungeon Hunter, The War of Eustrath, even Ash - all very high quality games (though some are ports/remakes). In the 'vast wasteland', these are some pretty phenomenal titles.

And while Infinity Blade isn't much of a game, it looks and plays phenomenally. Even if we just consider it 'proof of concept', it's a remarkable taste of things to come.

That said, I'm in for anything new and noteworthy. Still waiting on my Pandora, may it ship some day. And in line for this as well.

While the iPhone has some great games, that mentality of 'greatness' is largely derived from it being super cheap.

I am not discounting the quality of games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, but had games like Angry Birds appeared first on the DS for $20, no one would have cared. The best it could have achieved maybe on the level of Rhythm Heaven or Elite Beat Agent (in term of popularity, not gameplay), it will "come and go" and then forget by the masses. This is because there are way deeper and polished gaming experiences on the DS.

There are actually a lot of hidden gems on the DS that are comparable to Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, but they are not $.99 that's why they are largely ignored by the media and masses. Do you think Angry Bird would have a chance if it was first on the DS? No way.

How many of you are pre-ordering sight unseen? I would at least want to demo the 3DS before deciding to buy. I still have my doubts that it actually works, I guess...

I'm iffy on blue...I like blue, but I don't know, when they're open black looks better in pictures it seems like.

And I'm iffy on the system. I love a Nintendo portable with roughly PSP levels of power. I love that it finally has an analog stick and deemphasizes the touch screen...but...the '3D'. I don't know. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if not for that.

EDIT: This might actually end up as the second Nintendo system I don't buy...and both of them because they have "3D" :lol:

[quote name='fwbweux']
Nintendo is fairly guilty of incremental upgrades, but it would be silly of me to begrudge anyone for seeing something worth upgrading to in any DS model. If you cared enough about DSiware, a camera, larger screens, etc., wham, there was your justification. I'm personally using a Lite but I still see what the DSi and XL bring to the table. Whether they were shameless attempts to get existing owners to double/triple dip, a means of sweetening the deal for attracting first-time owners, both, or neither is a debate that I have no stake in.
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the people that get so worked up over the hardware redesigns. I am sure the company puts out the optimal design for production cost vs estimated sales, and I don't see why they shouldn't do the same thing in a couple of years. In other words, I don't think they would have been able to come out with a DSi XL for $159 back in 2004, and I don't think people buying a DS today should be stuck purchasing a launch DS so that early adopters don't get upset.

The way I look at it, they might launch a redesign in say, christmas 2012.. Well if I wait, that's 18 months I don't get to use the thing. If I buy now, I can probably resell for $125 or $150 to put towards the new one. So really, I am spending $100 bucks for 18 months of current use of the 3DS. If that's an acceptable price point for you, then go for it. If not, then don't.. but just sitting on the sideline out of spite of some future potential redesign just seems silly.

[quote name='boomerisgod']Confirmed that the 3-5 hour battery was with the highest settings.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-19-nintendo-3ds-david-yarnton-interview?page=3

It all depends on what you have running, especially the wifi and 3d mode.[/QUOTE]
It's nice that Nintendo's being upfront about the actual battery life of the hardware with all the bells and whistles turned on. I wonder how many people actually play the DS with the brightness set to max.

I've had a couple iPod Nanos in the past where battery life was an issue. Apple's site says they have "up to" 24 hours of playtime per charge but even with all the device's settings put to a minimum I'd typically get 8-10 hours of audio.

I think it's funny people are bitching about 3D. I hate 3D and plan on leaving it off. Who cares if it has it or not! It's the next gameboy. If you want to continue getting alllllllll the great games the DS had to offer, it's time to upgrade. I'm sure the next wave of consoles will all support 3D too, doesn't mean you have to use it though!

[quote name='Thrinn']It's nice that Nintendo's being upfront about the actual battery life of the hardware with all the bells and whistles turned on. I wonder how many people actually play the DS with the brightness set to max.

I've had a couple iPod Nanos in the past where battery life was an issue. Apple's site says they have "up to" 24 hours of playtime per charge but even with all the device's settings put to a minimum I'd typically get 8-10 hours of audio.[/QUOTE]

I do...but I usually play in my room with the shades closed. :D

[quote name='Zaku77']I think it's funny people are bitching about 3D. I hate 3D and plan on leaving it off. Who cares if it has it or not! It's the next gameboy. If you want to continue getting alllllllll the great games the DS had to offer, it's time to upgrade. I'm sure the next wave of consoles will all support 3D too, doesn't mean you have to use it though![/QUOTE]
So you're paying 250$ for a ds lite? makes sense

[quote name='spmahn']So I never got an answer, if I order from Amazon, it means a Monday delivery? No chance of a Saturday or Sunday delivery?[/QUOTE]

Monday if you choose 1 day, Tuesday if 2 day.

Anything from Amazon never arrives on a Saturday or Sunday with prime.

$250? Damn... As others have already said, the fact that there will inevitably be multiple redesigns of the 3DS out within the next couple of years makes it an easy decision by me to not pick this up.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Monday if you choose 1 day, Tuesday if 2 day.

Anything from Amazon never arrives on a Saturday or Sunday with prime.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of cities Amazon delivers to on both saturday and sunday, as well as same day delivery. I actually get free saturday delivery all the time when a select free 2 day prime shipping on a thursday. With prime, its usually between 3.99 and 6.99 for me for Sunday or same day delivery, the pricing seems kind of random. I don't anticipate them offering Sunday delivery for the 3DS, but they actually do offer it with a lot of products in several major cities, so it is possible it could become available depending on your location. They use 2 shipping companies for me for same day and sunday- Ontrac and A-1. The cities listed on Amazon with same day delivery are: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, New York, Philly, Phoenix, Seattle, and DC. I think there actually might be a few more, because I'm pretty sure I got same day some times in ATL.

[quote name='Zaku77']I think it's funny people are bitching about 3D. I hate 3D and plan on leaving it off. Who cares if it has it or not! It's the next gameboy. If you want to continue getting alllllllll the great games the DS had to offer, it's time to upgrade. I'm sure the next wave of consoles will all support 3D too, doesn't mean you have to use it though![/QUOTE]

If you hate 3D and are going to leave it off, then it was just a waste to put it in your 3DS. You can be sure it's the primary reason the thing costs $250 instead of, say $200 or maybe even $150.

[quote name='zionoverfire']wow, $250? I expected the price to be way lower seeing as it's a Nintendo handheld. The 5 hours of battery life is pretty terrible also.[/QUOTE]

Really? I mean yea it's a Nintendo handheld, but it clearly has more advanced tech for it's time than any other Nintendo handheld has had before.

Not to mention we've known for months now that it would be $300 in Japan, what would make anyone think it would be $100-$150 cheaper here? That's just silly.

People have weird expectations.

Anyway, I pre-ordered mine but I'm still not sure if I'll end up getting it day one.

For one thing, this isn't a DS lite. It's the next system. The 3D is an extra feature of it. This is still the next Nintendo handheld though. The graphics are better, it has a new control interface (the joystick), and most of all: DS games will definitely quit being made.

And yes, I'm sure the stupid 3D is why the cost is so high.

[quote name='Zaku77']For one thing, this isn't a DS lite. It's the next system. The 3D is an extra feature of it. This is still the next Nintendo handheld though. The graphics are better, it has a new control interface (the joystick), and most of all: DS games will definitely quit being made.

And yes, I'm sure the stupid 3D is why the cost is so high.[/QUOTE]

Agreed -- even without the 3D, this is still a faster processor, more memory, better graphics, and new control options. Clearly it's the "next generation" for the Nintendo handheld market. Eventually you'll have to get it if you want to continue to play the newest DS-type games, whether you want 3D or not.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the 3D, though I'm reserving judgment on it until I've actually had a chance to use it for a bit. I just hope that they're smart enough to only use the 3D where it's appropriate, and not try to wedge it into every single game ever made for the system. There are some games where I think it will be great; in others, though, it would likely be little more than a gimmick which would, if anything, detract from them.

Preordered the black one from best buy with in store pickup so I can walk in sunday morning and pick it up.

[quote name='Zaku77']For one thing, this isn't a DS lite. It's the next system. The 3D is an extra feature of it. This is still the next Nintendo handheld though. The graphics are better, it has a new control interface (the joystick), and most of all: DS games will definitely quit being made.

And yes, I'm sure the stupid 3D is why the cost is so high.[/QUOTE]

Wait, but wasn't that the same for the Virtual Boy? Wasn't that the next system for a "handheld"? Lets be honest if it bombs like the Virtual Boy did then the DS will still get support.

If this was already said in the thread I apologize, Im late to the party

[quote name='Zaku77']...most of all: DS games will definitely quit being made.[/QUOTE]I believe GBA games were still being released up to 3 years after the original DS hit. Don't count DS games out so quickly. ;)

[quote name='joshnorm']Wait, but wasn't that the same for the Virtual Boy? Wasn't that the next system for a "handheld"? Lets be honest if it bombs like the Virtual Boy did then the DS will still get support.

If this was already said in the thread I apologize, Im late to the party[/QUOTE]

It won't bomb like the Virtual Boy, though. It has one huge thing going for it (which the DS and DS Lite also had as well when they came out) which the Virtual Boy lacked -- backward compatibility. People are more likely to take a leap if they've already got a bunch of games that will work on the system.

Also, the Virtual Boy was just . . . weird. In just about every way possible. Who actually wanted to have to sit a table and essentially look into a pair of goggles to play a game? It was uncomfortable to play. The graphics were terrible, even for the time, and the games that were released for it were pretty bad as well. It never stood a chance.

[quote name='Zaku77']...and most of all: DS games will definitely quit being made.[/QUOTE]
Considering the shear number of DS systems out there between the original, Lite, DSi, and XL iterations It will be a long time before they stop releasing DS games.

[quote name='joshnorm']Wait, but wasn't that the same for the Virtual Boy? Wasn't that the next system for a "handheld"? Lets be honest if it bombs like the Virtual Boy did then the DS will still get support.

If this was already said in the thread I apologize, Im late to the party[/QUOTE]
DS systems are pretty much guaranteed cash this thing is highly unlikely to flop. It may not fly off the shelves at the rate previous DS systems have though, considering the price point.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Considering the shear number of DS systems out there between the original, Lite, DSi, and XL iterations It will be a long time before they stop releasing DS games.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but there is going to be a cross-over point where the latest, greatest games are on the 3DS, and the new DS titles look like last year's has-beens.

The PS2 has, against all odds, kept up new releases well into the lifespan of the PS3 as well for the same reason, but it's looking decidedly aged at this point regardless. When cross-platform games between the two systems have been released, the PS2 versions have for the most part (for obvious reasons) been watered-down shadows of the current gen versions. That's not to say, of course, that there haven't still been some great PS2 titles coming out every now and then, and I know that my PS2 still gets some use. But let's face it -- there aren't a lot of dedicated PS2 gamers anymore.

I don't think the DS is going anywhere anytime soon. But there will definitely be a lot of titles that aren't available for it, or that get "lesser" versions for it. There will come a point (even if it's not right away) where you will have to upgrade if you want to play the latest and greatest.

bread's done
Back