Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tranceFusion']I guess the point is, if you don't like the 3DS, why must you convince everyone else to not like it?[/QUOTE]

The whole point of forums is to have discussions, providing multiple perspectives on any given subject. It's always seemed odd that people try to dictate what can and can not be said on a board. If I only wanted to see things from a single point of view, perhaps I'd be reading someone's blog instead of a forum.

[quote name='Thrinn']The whole point of forums is to have discussions, providing multiple perspectives on any given subject. It's always seemed odd that people try to dictate what can and can not be said on a board. If I only wanted to see things from a single point of view, perhaps I'd be reading someone's blog instead of a forum.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for discussion. The problem is that most of the people coming into this thread to make negative posts aren't here to discuss.

[quote name='Thrinn']The whole point of forums is to have discussions, providing multiple perspectives on any given subject. It's always seemed odd that people try to dictate what can and can not be said on a board. If I only wanted to see things from a single point of view, perhaps I'd be reading someone's blog instead of a forum.[/QUOTE]

This is a PREORDER DEAL thread on a DEAL board.

It's not like someone jumped in and said "Hey, is this game any good at $19.99, i'm on the fence" and have people give their opinions. Nope. A preorder available announcement went out and a whole bunch of people jumped in here and started hating on the 3DS (and they by extension Nintendo) right away. (All while nobody has even played a 3DS game yet, mind you)

WTF?

I agree with trancefusion. Why do you feel the need to convince other people to hate the 3DS? I don't go into PSP forum to convince people to LOVE the 3DS. You know why? Cause that's just trolling, which is exactly what all the haters in here are doing.

"Could those games have come out on Gamecube? yeah”

Galaxy 2 and DKR could not run on the GC. Neither could metroid other M, Conduit 2, etc. Just because it's not HD doesn't mean the GC could run it.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']The PSP released on the 24th, not the 27th. No, the PSP was not free 6 years ago. It was $250 for the "value pack" that came with around $50 of extras?

It came with a memory stick pro...
[/QUOTE]

Let me correct that: It came with a memory stick pro...a protective case, wriststrap, headphones, AC charger, Spider Man 2 UMD, and a Sampler Demo Disc. I would say about $50 there, in release day value at least.

You're up to 3 people that you've called an idiot or moron now. If you really want to do that, atleast try and get your facts straight. Posting some random article about nintendo saying "3D will make you understand the game better!" LOL!!1 you fail, told you so; then proclaiming you busted the "troll" and eat em for breakfast. No worry though, the nintendo fans still got your back. Not because your right, civil, or making any sense; but because your on their side.

[quote name='Xenogears']Let me correct that: It came with a memory stick pro...a protective case, wriststrap, headphones, AC charger, Spider Man 2 UMD, and a Sampler Demo Disc. I would say about $50 there, in release day value at least.

You're up to 3 people that you've called an idiot or moron now. If you really want to do that, atleast try and get your facts straight. Posting some random article about nintendo saying "3D will make you understand the game better!" LOL!!1 you fail, told you so; then proclaiming you busted the "troll" and eat em for breakfast. No worry though, the nintendo fans still got your back. Not because your right, civil, or making any sense; but because your on their side.[/QUOTE]

Random article? It was a quote from the creator of mario, donkey kong and zelda. I'm making total sense. "3d will make you understand the game better"? Umm what? He's talking about depth perception you dumbass. You just don't understand because you are a troll. Not to mention an idiot. Stop pming me.

[quote name='confoosious'](All while nobody has even played a 3DS game yet, mind you)[/QUOTE]Wouldn't that mean that no one could voice their positive thoughts on the system or the games, either, since they also haven't played the games?

Then again, there was that public event Nintendo held in Japan where the public could play the 3DS. But what are the chances that someone in Japan would be on these boards? That'd be crazy... right Cheapy? ;)

[quote name='Thrinn']Wouldn't that mean that no one could voice their positive thoughts on the system or the games, either, since they also haven't played the games?

Then again, there was that public event Nintendo held in Japan where the public could play the 3DS. But what are the chances that someone in Japan would be on these boards? That'd be crazy... right Cheapy? ;)[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh you're so with it you know that Cheapy is our man in Japan! Wooooooowwwwwoooww. You're saying that Cheapy being in Japan means that all the haters in here have had significant time with the 3DS to render a verdict? Are you fucking kidding me? Or do you just like saying Cheapy's name?

;);););););););););)

Come on man, you're a joke.

Again, nobody (sane) on here is saying "The 3DS is the fucking tits and will be everything anyone has every wanted in a gaming system. I must have this and it is the awesome." Yet, there are people in here who can unequivocally say that the 3DS sucks and is a gimmick. Expressing interest and desire to buy something is not the same as saying "this sucks" without having seen it.

I'm outta here. Goddamn morons hating everything gotta ruin shit for everyone.

[quote name='confoosious']Ooooooh you're so with it you know that Cheapy is our man in Japan! Wooooooowwwwwoooww. You're saying that Cheapy being in Japan means that all the haters in here have had significant time with the 3DS to render a verdict? Are you fucking kidding me? Or do you just like saying Cheapy's name?

Come on man, you're a joke.[/QUOTE]I always end up regretting trying to carry on a civilized conversation with you for some reason.

"So the next time some asshole says to you, 'I have a right to my opinion,' you say, 'Oh yeah? Well, I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion.' Then shoot the fuck and walk away! "-George Carlin

[quote name='Thrinn']I always end up regretting trying to carry on a civilized conversation with you for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Here's a question you never answered: Have you held the 3DS in your hands and played with it?

If you don't like the 3DS, why are you in a preorder NDS thread? What do you expect to accomplish?

To save just one kid from buying the 3DS will give you angel wings?
To troll?
To spout your opinion on something you've never used?

Nobody has right to their opinion on this boards. There is no right since this boards aren't public. CheapyD allows us to use this forum and he owns it.

If you want to post without hearing other people's opinion, make your own board and post there.

Probably some broke ass who hates on it to make himself feel better about not being able to buy it.

That said, I really wanted Ocarina of Time at launch, might wait for that.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Probably some broke ass who hates on it to make himself feel better about not being able to buy it.
[/QUOTE]

hah. i thought that shit stopped happening after junior high.

"transformers suck dude. My Gobots are so much better than your Optimus Prime. No, i don't know the name of my Gobot. Shut up!"

(The preceding is only for old people who remember the Reagan administration.)

I still don't get why this thread is on deals forum. There is no deal here. MSPR isn't a deal.

[quote name='laaj']I still don't get why this thread is on deals forum. There is no deal here. MSPR isn't a deal.[/QUOTE]

It is to the early adopters they get the deal of joy by playing a limited library of games early.

[quote name='confoosious']Here's a question you never answered: Have you held the 3DS in your hands and played with it?

If you don't like the 3DS, why are you in a preorder NDS thread? What do you expect to accomplish?

To save just one kid from buying the 3DS will give you angel wings?
To troll?
To spout your opinion on something you've never used?[/QUOTE]

Erm . . . I'm really confused now, because unless he had some posts deleted that I missed, I don't think Thrinn really engaged in any of the trolling himself. I mean, I'm all for smacking down the trolls, but let's not go overboard here.

I've said it several times now, and I'll say it again. I have no problem with people having negative opinions or even with them voicing them, if 1) they are willing to acknowledge that it's an opinion, and that others might feel differently, and 2) they are willing to actually discuss them in a civilized manner. People like that idiot last night who don't meet either of those criteria need to get the fuck out, but if anyone wants to have a real discussion on the merits versus the problems of the system, I have no issue with that.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Probably some broke ass who hates on it to make himself feel better about not being able to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I was thinking that myself when that guy was going on and on about 3D being a gimmick last night, but I didn't want to say it because that can come off as bragging about the fact that I can afford it or something.

I'm asking him what his motivation is for jumping into 3DS preorder thread to say the 3DS sucks.

How do you give a concrete opinion on something you've never played with or seen?

I can understand if it was released in Japan already and you got tons of feedback already. (Like if you read the Wii Fit was gonna suck cause they had it like a year before ours.) But how do you say "this sucks" without any real world feedback on it?

That's what boggles my mind.

I'm here because I'm excited about it and I want to see what games are announced and what news comes out about it. I don't KNOW that the 3DS is gonna be great and I don't go around telling people that. Yet, there are people who KNOW the 3DS is gonna suck. How does that work?

[quote name='confoosious']I'm asking him what his motivation is for jumping into 3DS preorder thread to say the 3DS sucks.[/QUOTE]

I . . . don't see where he actually did that. But maybe I missed something. *shrug*

[quote name='arcane93']I . . . don't see where he actually did that. But maybe I missed something. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right.

But he's saying that people should have a right to come in here and flame the 3DS. And my question is: what's the purpose? It's a preorder thread. What would be the motivation for one to do so? (I got "you" and "one" mixed up in the last post.)

In the end, I don't care if Nintendo sells a billion of these, I'm not a shareholder. I'm just sick of getting excited about something and having haters coming in and pissing on everything, especially when they have no actual basis for their opinion. (If they've actually played with whatever tech it is in question, I'd actually give it some thought. But they haven't, which leads me to believe they're either just dicks or trolling.) Uninformed opinions given as fact? What the f is that? People like that are so goddamn lame and I've wasted enough time here arguing with them.

[quote name='laaj']Nobody has right to their opinion on this boards. There is no right since this boards aren't public. CheapyD allows us to use this forum and he owns it.

If you want to post without hearing other people's opinion, make your own board and post there.[/QUOTE]

So, the only opinion we're reading is cheapyd's? He must have some sort of D.I.D., then, considering the vast-array of opinions espoused on this forum.

The reason I quoted George Carlin was my way of getting across the point that you can express to others who are expressing their opinions that their opinions are stupid and meaningless, and you can do so in as vulgar a fashion as you wish. which is what's happening here. if morons don't like being called morons when they're spouting their moron opinions, then they should keep their moron opinions to themselves. Morons.

This thread is exactly what I expected which is why I didn't even bother clicking on it, but now that I'm here I'll say that I'm interested in the 3DS but I'll hold off until more games I'm interested come out and hopefully they release a pink one.

Meh....It's not a deal thread..should be under another thread...but whatever..if you want a 3DS pre-order..I'm only guying to buy one on release for my gf, since she wants to play those cute Petz games and other games coming out....After that, I'll wait until more games come out or the 3DS Lite comes out, when I'll get one.

[quote name='NolbertoS']Meh....It's not a deal thread..should be under another thread...but whatever..if you want a 3DS pre-order..I'm only guying to buy one on release for my gf, since she wants to play those cute Petz games and other games coming out....After that, I'll wait until more games come out or the 3DS Lite comes out, when I'll get one.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great. I'm waiting for the 3DS Lite SP XL version, should be out within a year of the regular 3DS. 3D games on this thing are going to so innovative and kool!!!! :applause:

are there any places to preorder it in-store besides gamestop? the reason i ask is because i'd rather have the store's return policy if i get one with defects (such as stuck/dead pixels) instead of exchanging it through an online retailer.

i don't want to buy it from gamestop because they don't seem to allow you to return opened video game systems for a full refund like other stores, and i could choose best buy's in store pickup method but i have no idea how reliable it is and don't know how their online item exchanges work.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Sounds great. I'm waiting for the 3DS Lite SP XL version, should be out within a year of the regular 3DS. 3D games on this thing are going to so innovative and kool!!!! :applause:[/QUOTE]

You could've tried harder with your sarcasm. The only reason the mods let this thread live is beyond my understanding. But I'll refrain from posting after this post. I've said my 2 cents and I'm sure more people agree. Peace

Well I've already pre-ordered the 3DS in Cosmo Black at GameStop, couldn't choose a game from 3 that I wanted. Of course the next day a brand new Duke Nukem Forever trailer is released with a release date slapped at the end so the rest of my funds will go to that. Still I'll enjoy the pre-installed software and my old DS games for a while til I buy a 3DS game for my new system.

I love how unprofessional gamestop is. Went there to reserve my Cosmic 3DS yesterday, and the guy literally asked me "Are you sure you want to? The PSP2 gets announced in a few days and will probally have better graphics". Makes me wonder how i got fired yet some of these other employee's dont.

Reserved my cosmo black 3DS at amazon I honestly don't think $250 is to much to ask for the system now had it been $299 or more I might have agreed. But when you think about it value in regards to anything is subjective to each individual person so what it comes down to is are you willing to pay it or not?

I want to preorder from Amazon in order to flip, what's the worst that can happen if 3DSs are a flop and I have to send it back? The price of shipping?

Thats 3 names you've called me now, and 6 from you alone directed at all the "trolls". All i did was try to give some possible reasons that one might not be enthused for the 3DS. You call me an idiot. Later, I give a FACT, you try to mock it with a statement that I show to be completely false. Now there is this exchange:

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']To the idiot claiming 3d in games is only a gimmick and won't effect gameplay...

http://en.178.com/201011/83294340545.html

?Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto says a recently confirmed Mario game in development for the upcoming 3DS handheld will benefit from 3D stereoscopic effects that will help players understand visual depth as a part of gameplay. In an interview with USA Today, the head of Kyoto-based Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis and Development arm said the system's technology will help players understand where in-game objects are in relation to each other."One of the things we have looked at, you know when you are in a 3D world but on a 2D screen it is difficult sometimes to tell distance, whether an object you are looking at is in the foreground, in the background, is the object above you? Sometimes it's a little bit harder."

FAIL? Indeed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Xenogears']Posting some random article about nintendo saying "3D will make you understand the game better!" LOL!!1 you fail, told you so; then proclaiming you busted the "troll" and eat em for breakfast.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Random article? It was a quote from the creator of mario, donkey kong and zelda. I'm making total sense. "3d will make you understand the game better"? Umm what? He's talking about depth perception you dumbass. You just don't understand because you are a troll. Not to mention an idiot.[/QUOTE]

The overall arrogance and stupidity on this board is what got my attention, and in my opinion just as much, if not more of it is coming from the "righteous" nintendo fans trying to defend "their" board. I don't know what all has gone on here, but like I said before, don't call someone an idiot or moron unless you got your facts straight and can back it up. If you turn out to be wrong, it makes you look like the idiot/dumbass/moron.

I might pre order another one to flip to help pay for the one i plan to keep

i'm still surprised i can still pre-order it, how many are stores gonna get 0_O

i thought there was gonna be a limited supply

quick question, is buying from Wal mart.com the same like amazon, will wal mart charge/ take out $250 from my bank account today? or when it ships

I've only bought games from walmart recently but when it ships. They do put a authorization on the funds so don't use a debit or a credit card with little credit if you're poor.

On topic, I will be waiting to get a 3DS for myself. There are many reasons, but one of the biggest is what i've heard of the 3D effects. They sound like they have a large WOW factor, but thats it. I've read many accounts of needing to find a sweet spot for the image to show properly, and the player having to concentrate to achieve this. To the point of it interferring with their enjoyment and gameplay. That turns me off alot. I want to know impressions of it after extended playthroughs. I don't play handheld games much anyway, and have no desire to "upgrade" my PSP or DS any time soon.

[quote name='sunghost']are there any places to preorder it in-store besides gamestop? the reason i ask is because i'd rather have the store's return policy if i get one with defects (such as stuck/dead pixels) instead of exchanging it through an online retailer.

i don't want to buy it from gamestop because they don't seem to allow you to return opened video game systems for a full refund like other stores, and i could choose best buy's in store pickup method but i have no idea how reliable it is and don't know how their online item exchanges work.[/QUOTE]

You can pre-order it in store at Best Buy. I used their pre-order kiosk in the store today to print out the pre-order ticket which you then take to the checkout lane. You have to put down $5, just like any other pre-order there. Hope that helps. I don't know if both colors were available, I just pre-ordered the black.

[quote name='NDPsycho']You can pre-order it in store at Best Buy. I used their pre-order kiosk in the store today to print out the pre-order ticket which you then take to the checkout lane. You have to put down $5, just like any other pre-order there. Hope that helps. I don't know if both colors were available, I just pre-ordered the black.[/QUOTE]

I've talked to 3 employees and they all said you can't preorder it in-store and can only preorder it online, which seemed pretty strange to me but I figured something like you're talking about might be possible. I've never seen a preorder kiosk at any of the best buys I've been to though.. where are they usually located? Kind of annoys me if that's true because I went out to the store today specifically to preorder it and got turned down.

Color wouldn't bother me, I'd rather have black anyway.

I was really really hyped up for this but I have done a lot of checking in the last few days, and I just don't feel the screen size will be large enough for my tastes. Checking all available specs for the unit it will be almost the exact same size as a DS Lite (screen size, case size, etc). I will cross my fingers and hope for a 3DS XL version in the future. Maybe I am just getting old, but a 3" screen just doesn't wow me for a handheld.

Don't get me wrong, DS and 3DS games seem to be amazing, I just want to be able to enjoy them to the fullest on a bigger screen. Besides, maybe the games will get cheaper when they get around to a hardware revision. And I love that they revamped the processor and implemented 3D on a portable.

To those who are getting in on this, let the rest of us know how well the 3D works and battery life with moderated settings for brightness. The more we know the better.

[quote name='Jackr']I was really really hyped up for this but I have done a lot of checking in the last few days, and I just don't feel the screen size will be large enough for my tastes. Checking all available specs for the unit it will be almost the exact same size as a DS Lite (screen size, case size, etc). I will cross my fingers and hope for a 3DS XL version in the future. Maybe I am just getting old, but a 3" screen just doesn't wow me for a handheld.

Don't get me wrong, DS and 3DS games seem to be amazing, I just want to be able to enjoy them to the fullest on a bigger screen. Besides, maybe the games will get cheaper when they get around to a hardware revision. And I love that they revamped the processor and implemented 3D on a portable.

To those who are getting in on this, let the rest of us know how well the 3D works and battery life with moderated settings for brightness. The more we know the better.[/QUOTE]

3DS Screen specs:

Upper Screen
  • 3.53 inches, wide screen with naked eye 3D support, 800x240 pixel resolution
Lower Screen
  • 3.02 inches, 320x240 pixels
Wow, I'm surprised that any new portable would not have at least a 4" screen . . . and the resolution is strange at 800x240 for the larger 3DS screen (I think because in 3D mode you get half that essentially, for each eye, at 400x240 each). Even the 6-year-old PSP has a 4.3" screen with 480x272 resolution, way larger than the upper screen on the 3DS and higher resolution for a single view. Not a good sign . . . :cry:

^^^ It's so they can later release a 3ds XL and cash in again. that's my main problem with nintendo, they release too many versions of there portable consoles. i feel cheated everytime i buy one because a year later a better version comes out for the same price or cheaper than the original. it's like they purposely leave things out just so they can make new versions later on.

The 800x240 is for the 3d effect AFAIK; it's rendering 800 pixels so you're getting basically 400x240 for each eye.

I don't read too much into actual screen size; that's a tradeoff for the size of the device. I mean, if a 3 inch screen is meh, and a 4 inch screen is 6-year old technology, a 10" screen would be perfect, right?

I'd rather have it smaller at this point, to be honest. I've seen DSi XLs and they just seem too big for my tastes, although I can see where a bigger screen can be nice in the right settings. But then people would bitch even more about battery life.

It's all tradeoffs.

[quote name='Justin42']The 800x240 is for the 3d effect AFAIK; it's rendering 800 pixels so you're getting basically 400x240 for each eye.

I don't read too much into actual screen size; that's a tradeoff for the size of the device. I mean, if a 3 inch screen is meh, and a 4 inch screen is 6-year old technology, a 10" screen would be perfect, right?

I'd rather have it smaller at this point, to be honest. I've seen DSi XLs and they just seem too big for my tastes, although I can see where a bigger screen can be nice in the right settings. But then people would bitch even more about battery life.

It's all tradeoffs.[/QUOTE]

Even worse though, it looks like the battery life in 3D mode will be abysmal. 3-5 hours on LOW brightness setting, less on the higher settings.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375484,00.asp

That's really a big step backwards from the previous DS consoles, particularly the DSi which has 15-19 hours on low brightness, 5-8 on high brightness.

I guess that just means Nintendo will sell a lot more batteries for this, or people will just turn off the 3D to conserve power/eyes.

I really don't think the non "XL" size of the 3DS screen is because they want to cash in later, I think it's because a larger glasses-free 3D display would have driven the price up even higher. In any case it is larger and higher resolution then the DSi/XL display.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really don't think the non "XL" size of the 3DS screen is because they want to cash in later, I think it's because a larger glasses-free 3D display would have driven the price up even higher. In any case it is larger and higher resolution then the DSi/XL display.[/QUOTE]

No, the 3DS larger top screen (3.5") is smaller than the DSi XL screen (4.2"). But of course the resolution is much higher on the 3DS top screen; the DSi XL screen is only 256x192, very low for such a large screen.

[quote name='sunghost']I've talked to 3 employees and they all said you can't preorder it in-store and can only preorder it online, which seemed pretty strange to me but I figured something like you're talking about might be possible. I've never seen a preorder kiosk at any of the best buys I've been to though.. where are they usually located? Kind of annoys me if that's true because I went out to the store today specifically to preorder it and got turned down.

Color wouldn't bother me, I'd rather have black anyway.[/QUOTE]

The one in our store is located right near the game section. It's on an endcap and has a large touch screen that advertises the pre-order games. You select the game you wish to pre-order and it prints out a ticket that you take and check out with. I don't know how widely they're available, I just assumed that if we have them in North Dakota, they must be everywhere :) It's possible that the 3ds just became available for in store pre-order today, because I have had to check back before when other games were available online for pre-order, but not in store. The last time this happened was for Mario All Stars. It did eventually make it to the kiosk though. Not to say that your store was wrong, maybe they can't do it there, but I certainly did. I've got the ticket and receipt on me.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Even worse though, it looks like the battery life in 3D mode will be abysmal. 3-5 hours on LOW brightness setting, less on the higher settings.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375484,00.asp

That's really a big step backwards from the previous DS consoles, particularly the DSi which has 15-19 hours on low brightness, 5-8 on high brightness.

I guess that just means Nintendo will sell a lot more batteries for this, or people will just turn off the 3D to conserve power/eyes.[/QUOTE]

That same article you just quoted says that the DSi actually only got 3-4 hours on the highest brightness. Also, nowhere does it say the 3DS will be 3-5 hours on "LOW brightness setting." It says "allegedly" and there was a quote from a Nintendo rep this past week that said it wasn't true.

That said, those numbers are disappointingly low. I can't even imagine what the PSP2 is going to be with the rumored power of "half a PS3."

[quote name='NDPsycho']The one in our store is located right near the game section. It's on an endcap and has a large touch screen that advertises the pre-order games. You select the game you wish to pre-order and it prints out a ticket that you take and check out with. I don't know how widely they're available, I just assumed that if we have them in North Dakota, they must be everywhere :) It's possible that the 3ds just became available for in store pre-order today, because I have had to check back before when other games were available online for pre-order, but not in store. The last time this happened was for Mario All Stars. It did eventually make it to the kiosk though. Not to say that your store was wrong, maybe they can't do it there, but I certainly did. I've got the ticket and receipt on me.[/QUOTE]

I believe you, I'll have to check and see if my stores have a kiosk tomorrow. Is this just one store that you've been to that has the kiosk or are there several in your area that do?

[quote name='sunghost']I believe you, I'll have to check and see if my stores have a kiosk tomorrow. Is this just one store that you've been to that has the kiosk or are there several in your area that do?[/QUOTE]

I'm only aware of four Best Buy stores in the state...and I haven't been to the others recently so I couldn't say. I know there are some other posters on here from the area, maybe they could answer if they read this.

Some of us prefer the screen to not be so large. It is a portable device, I don't want to be carrying around something that wouldn't fit comfortably in a pocket. The 3DS doesn't seem to be much larger than my DSi, and the DSi fits perfectly in a jacket pocket. My fiancee's brother has a DSi XL and it's too big for what I want in a portable device.

Also, for some reason I *just* found out that MegaMan Legends 3 is being developed exclusively for the 3DS. I am now officially excited. :)

bread's done
Back