Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Mixer236']What are you talking about? I've had a Power Suit for, like, 12 years...[/QUOTE]
so have I, but onoes i lost my power suit and upgrades gotta find em

Update was pushed back to Dec 8th.[quote name='KingBroly']I managed to get and complete my 5th Puzzle over the weekend, New Super Mario Bros. It seems like stores have now opened up their units so people can access stuff like the Mii Plaza on Demo Units, so hopefully that means some kind of countrywide mandate occurred to promote some kind of community interaction with demo units. I still need the Zelda and Kirby Puzzles before the new ones hit though.

Downloaded Metroid 2, and apparently that game took place in the year 2000. Me thinks an update is in order. Also started playing SM3DL, and to be honest, I have a hard time telling the 3D is on even at full blast. It feels completely comfortable with no eye strain.[/QUOTE]

Are the old puzzles going to be removed?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']so have I, but onoes i lost my power suit and upgrades gotta find em[/QUOTE]

No worries dude, happens to me all the time. ALL THE TIME. :lol:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
EDIT: Does the Zelda 3DS fix the issues the previous 3DS had, the whole thing of screens smashing against each other?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it doesn't fix it. I looked very carefully at the top screen of my Zelda 3DS right now, and it does still produce smudges (which would probably start scratching over time). It's very hard to notice though, I'd guess it'd be easiest to see over time. Also noticed there's a tiny piece of dust under my top screen in the top left corner..

Getting tired of having multiple DS handhelds with dust under their screens, I had to deal with 3 returns/exchanges of DSi XLs and DSis due to that, not sure if I want to return this one but it could possibly get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunghost']Nope, it doesn't fix it. I looked very carefully at the top screen of my Zelda 3DS right now, and it does still produce smudges (which would probably start scratching over time). It's very hard to notice though, I'd guess it'd be easiest to see over time. Also noticed there's a tiny piece of dust under my top screen in the top left corner..

Getting tired of having multiple DS handhelds with dust under their screens, I had to deal with 3 returns/exchanges of DSi XLs and DSis due to that, not sure if I want to return this one but it could possibly get worse.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, sad to hear that. I was contemplating upgrading/changing it for the Zelda version.

One thing to note is that if you put a screen protector on, it'll be easier to try to ignore the problem. Have had one since launch, and replaced it yesterday (was starting to annoy me). All the damage was absorbed by the protector and the screen was unharmed.
It had blemished the protector, though, so it was starting to bother me.

[quote name='mykevermin']I've had no problems with any of my recent Nintendo handhelds - 3DS, DSXL, and DS Lite.

And here I thought I was compulsive. Guess not.[/QUOTE]

I've had problems with all of those lol. I'll list them:

DS lite: Went through 2 of those, I think.. first one had an L or R button that kept sticking which got incredibly annoying when I needed to use it. Second had very unresponsive diagnals on the d-pad, made the d-pad frustrating to use for any games that used diagnals on it. I actually kept the 2nd DS lite for a couple years, and returned it later to Costco. It was a pain in the ass to deal with, so much that I avoided most games that used d-pad diagnals.

DSi: Most of the ones I exchanged had dust under the screen, one had defective speakers (they crackled a lot, might've been blown out?), and another had some weird touch screen defect, if I pressed into the plastic next to the left and right sides of the touch screen border it'd show a serious amount of distortion.

DSi XL: Dust under screen, most of the ones I exchanged for had stuck pixels too.

3DS: Already explained, had pinholes in the top screen of the first 3DS. Second 3DS has dust under top screen. Both of them have a very limited sweet spot and some bad 3D ghosting/cross-talk in certain games but I guess that's not a defect?

I honestly think anyone that has a "perfect" DS is extremely lucky. Whenever I buy a Nintendo DS, I expect it to have at least one defect (and no, I don't care about wobbly hinges.. I don't even consider that a defect).

Only issue I've ever had with a DS is my DSi had stuck pixels, in a straight line, from the bottom of the top screen to the top of it.

As for the sweet spot/ghosting, I don't think that is a defect - just a limitation of the tech at this time.

Yay! I just got my Zelda 3DS bundle last night. I've already downloaded the free 4 Swords eshop game, and must have spent an hour playing around with the settings and making a Mii. I'll have Ocarina and 4 Swords to tide me over until I can get more 3DS games, plus my backlog of original DS games.

I've downloaded a ton of games and have yet to play most of them. I still haven't decided what deal I'm gonna take for Mario Kart 7. I'll probably get it at Sams Club. All the deals seem to be centered around buying other games...

It appears that the circle pad expansion will be bundled with Resident Evil: Revelations in Europe. Assuming the same thing for NA... I'm conflicted. One, RE4 and RE5 didn't really use a second stick anyway, aside from the slight camera panning. Two, given that Capcom already decided this game needed to be more expensive anyway, I don't really want to add on to that.

I just... honestly, I don't get why RE, of all games, needs the second stick as a bundle. Luigi's Mansion? Sure. Monster Hunter? Yup. MGS3? Defnitely. RE? Eh. It's a weird pairing.

Downloaded and finally played Cut the Rope! After hearing about a conversation that this game was way better than Angry Birds and it's a wonder how damn popular AB is, I was delighted when I saw it in the eShop! Really fun, and well designed, game and perfect for on the go.

[quote name='dragonjud']Yikes, sad to hear that. I was contemplating upgrading/changing it for the Zelda version.

One thing to note is that if you put a screen protector on, it'll be easier to try to ignore the problem. Have had one since launch, and replaced it yesterday (was starting to annoy me). All the damage was absorbed by the protector and the screen was unharmed.
It had blemished the protector, though, so it was starting to bother me.[/QUOTE]
This is how mine is now. I put the screen protector on as soon as I got it, and the screen is fine, but now the screen protector itself is starting to get marked up. Its most noticeable on the bottom right hand side of the screen. You can see where the edge of the bottom screen is making contact and there are what look like two small air bubbles on either side that can't be smoothed out. I'm probably going to replace the screen protector pretty soon. The one I'm using isn't one of the HORI ones, maybe they're a little more durable than mine?

It seems like it would've been smarter for Nintendo to put a thin strip of rubber on the top and bottom parts of the bottom screen's frame, which would've put some space between the two screens when closed and made it so that it only touches the top screen above and below the actual screen so that it won't potentially scratch it.

Fellow 3DS CAGs I'm curious what is the highest amount of memory card can the 3DS accept?

I think I read a forum that said its 32GB is this true?

[quote name='200STM']Fellow 3DS CAGs I'm curious what is the highest amount of memory card can the 3DS accept?

I think I read a forum that said its 32GB is this true?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I have an 8GB card in mine, and I'll never run out of space. Seriously, I've got music, trailers, and just about every VC release as well as all the 3D Classics and a couple of the original titles. All of that and my card isn't even 1/3 of the way full. I'll run out of slots for the games and stuff before I run out of space.

IMO, unless you plan on putting lots of music on there, you'll never use up a 32GB card.

[quote name='pippin']This is how mine is now. I put the screen protector on as soon as I got it, and the screen is fine, but now the screen protector itself is starting to get marked up. Its most noticeable on the bottom right hand side of the screen. You can see where the edge of the bottom screen is making contact and there are what look like two small air bubbles on either side that can't be smoothed out. I'm probably going to replace the screen protector pretty soon. The one I'm using isn't one of the HORI ones, maybe they're a little more durable than mine?[/QUOTE]

I have one of the HORI ones. Put it on about 2 weeks after release and everything still looks fine, so maybe so.

If you guys want to fix the top screen scratches, google "fix 3ds scratches". There's a youtube video and webpage discussing pulling out the tabs on the top screen, adding a thin piece of double sided tape (both mention the tape that came with the Wii for the sensor bar), and pushing the tabs back in. I did this last weekend and have not seen any scratches so far. The tape adds just enough to the tabs to keep the screens from touching, as far as I can tell. Super easy to do.

Ok yeah, probably gonna return my Zelda 3DS. Had it for a few days now and the smudges got a lot worse (and this is with the thin piece of foam kept between the screens after it's closed.) Took a flash light and shined it on the top screen, saw around 5-8 tiny specs of dust under the screen. It's probably accumulating more dust over time. I just hope Best Buy doesn't give me issues with returning it, because I opened the copy of Zelda: OoT that came with it.

[quote name='sunghost']Ok yeah, probably gonna return my Zelda 3DS. Had it for a few days now and the smudges got a lot worse (and this is with the thin piece of foam kept between the screens after it's closed.) Took a flash light and shined it on the top screen, saw around 5-8 tiny specs of dust under the screen. It's probably accumulating more dust over time. I just hope Best Buy doesn't give me issues with returning it, because I opened the copy of Zelda: OoT that came with it.[/QUOTE]

Weren't these limited and no longer in stores?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Weren't these limited and no longer in stores?[/QUOTE]

They're still in stores, but I don't think they'll be restocked once sold out.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Also, where are our GBA games, fellow Ambassadors?[/QUOTE]

Strell answered this one for us earlier this week:

[quote name='mykevermin']Where are the GBA Ambassador games?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']Ambassadorland, of course.[/QUOTE]

Pretty obvious, now that I think about it... ;)

[quote name='Mixer236']Pretty obvious, now that I think about it... ;)[/QUOTE]

And that's why I love Strell. :D

[quote name='KingBroly']I expect an answer after the 8th.[/QUOTE]

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens on the 8th?

[quote name='theflicker']UK only so far, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Ah, didn't notice that. Since Japan and the UK is getting it, perhaps we will?

Not that I'm hugely interested in the brutality that I've Kid Icarus is.

Kid Icarus isn't a good game. Hopefully they put a map on the bottom screen for the end-of-world dungeons, otherwise...ugh. I'm not too hot on the backgrounds either. They look terrible.

EDIT:
I'd like to take this time to say something about Street Passes and Demo Units...

It appears that with the recent release of Super Mario 3D Land (and I'm assuming this will hold true for Mario Kart 7), demo units in stores (Gamestop, Target, etc.) now all you to access the System's Main Menu, Mii Plaza included. What I'm finding is that people who get Street Passes from these aren't swapping puzzle pieces with the Store Demo Unit, probably because of the lack of this information.

So I want to encourage people that get Street Passes this way to make sure that Puzzle Pieces do get swapped properly so more Panels can get out there per store, so people can finish Puzzle Swap quicker. I also encourage people to spread this news around since it is by far the most common way for people to get Street Passes outside of Japan.

I think Kid Icarus is an awesome game. Not too sure about the backgrounds, though. I was wondering how they would do the 3D since many stages in the game have a black background. Hope NOA does the "register two 3DS games, get Kid Icarus free" deal.

What do we know about the GBA ambassador games? Is it a 2011 thing confirmed or could we be waiting until 2012? I really want to unload my old 3DS so I can crack open the Zelda 3DS.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They've said by the end of the year from the beginning, which could mean any day of this month.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I guess I'll just hang onto my original 3DS so I can grab dem games

The wait for those other ambassador games is excrusiating. I've been playing Zelda I and II and Super Mario, and Yoshi, and Balloon fight obsessively and can't wait for that next wave of ambassador games!

Dumb question, I know, but when does the eShop update? What day of the week? I called Nintendo and they don't give me a straight answer.

[quote name='2DMention']The wait for those other ambassador games is excrusiating. I've been playing Zelda I and II and Super Mario, and Yoshi, and Balloon fight obsessively and can't wait for that next wave of ambassador games!

Dumb question, I know, but when does the eShop update? What day of the week? I called Nintendo and they don't give me a straight answer.[/QUOTE]
Thursdays.

Hrm. 3DS has been randomly shutting completely off. Couple of times even needed to reset the time and date. Wonder what's up with that. Sort of leaning toward a battery issue. First time it did it, it came back on with a depleted battery warning, charged, reset the time/date, and it was fine. Since then it did that once more, and a few times it's just simply off after putting it in sleep mode. Launch 3DS and it didn't start until Super Mario 3D Land and/or the system update that came with it, however, so who knows.

'The forthcoming 10 GBA Virtual Console titles available for registrants of the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programm will be available before the end of December 2011. We will make further announcements in due course.'
Read about it here.

Protectors and scratches won't really affect the 3D. As long as one eye sees the image intended for that side and the other the same, you will see 3D. Same logic with scratches except if the scratch is so bad you can't see anything in that area you will see 3D but it won't be visible only where the scratch is. I mention scratches because unless you install pads on the corners of the top screen you will get two scratch marks caused by the side borders of the touch screen.

So I picked up a 3DS today (haven't opened it yet) and I'm wondering what I need to do to prepare my DSi for resell. Is there really no way to transfer my downloaded stuff to another unit? Fortunately I didn't spend any money on downloadable stuff, just the free points I got when I bought the thing. Is there any compelling reason to keep a DSi?

Edit: Man: I'm so out of the loop. I did a Google search, I think I found my answer.
Edit2: Wow! why is the manual for this thing so thick?

Been playing SM3DL and finally upped the brightness to 5, and boy does that drain the battery. I think I might have clocked in an hour or so, after playing hours on Brightness 1 earlier and had to recharge. I think it was at 3 bars before too.

I think the brightness helps in the 3D, seems like my eyes aren't as tired as before.

I need to pick up mk7 tomorrow.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']
Edit2: Wow! why is the manual for this thing so thick?[/QUOTE]

I think it was to give us something to do while we waited for them to release notable games. I guess its lost that purpose now. Maybe its useful for as a floatation device?

bread's done
Back