Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='200STM']Update from nintendo.com says the next 3DS update will be on the 8th of December for NA[/QUOTE]
Hey, just in case you haven't noticed, the East Hills Target has a new (or at least updated) demo 3DS. I stopped receiving Street Pass hits for quite a while, so I was excited when the little green light when on. It only has a few puzzle pieces, but I was able to unlock the Mario/Bowser puzzle there. Aside from that and NSMB, it has another puzzle (not sure which), so I'm going to stop by again soon and unlock that one. I believe it only has one piece for each of these puzzles, but at least I can now spend coins on getting new pieces for them.

I don't know if the other Targets have anything new, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh! I know nothing about street pass or the puzzle game, so when I got two hits yesterday while out shopping, I figured "hey, I'll use the pieces to help finish off the only puzzle I've already got pieces for" Shit fuck! Both hits had all the puzzles too, so I had my pick...

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Edit2: Wow! why is the manual for this thing so thick?[/QUOTE]
to make up for it, the manuals for Mario Kart 7 and Mario Land 3DS are barely existent, and almost entirely on the cart itself...
(which I hate. I actually really like reading manuals... I'm weird)

I was completely off my rocker yesterday when I bought 4 3ds games. WWE All-Stars, Cave Story 3D, Mario Kart, and Sonic Generations. Never been a big fan of Sonic, but the two special stages I've played have been outstanding. Everything else is just ok, right now.

@ZombieToast how many puzzle pictures are there? I have been getting lots of hits at walmart on colony street. I have one person on find my mii whos on level 9 haha its the demo unit

[quote name='200STM']@ZombieToast how many puzzle pictures are there? I have been getting lots of hits at walmart on colony street. I have one person on find my mii whos on level 9 haha its the demo unit[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up. I rarely ever go to that Walmart...in fact, I think I've only been once or twice. I'll have to find an excuse to head out that way. Heh.

Currently, there are seven puzzles. You can see a list of them here:
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzle_Swap

[quote name='xycury']Been playing SM3DL and finally upped the brightness to 5, and boy does that drain the battery. I think I might have clocked in an hour or so, after playing hours on Brightness 1 earlier and had to recharge. I think it was at 3 bars before too.

I think the brightness helps in the 3D, seems like my eyes aren't as tired as before.

I need to pick up mk7 tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
What level brightness were you using before? What does power save mode do besides make it look yellowish?

Also, I'm stuck on Find Mii. Got to a dark room, and the player just gives up and leaves.

So I was looking through that massive manual and noticed that the battery is said to be able to recharge about 500 times. Isn't that crazy low? If you recharge everyday that's less than 2 years.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']What level brightness were you using before? What does power save mode do besides make it look yellowish?

Also, I'm stuck on Find Mii. Got to a dark room, and the player just gives up and leaves.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you need a white champion to fill the room with light.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So I was looking through that massive manual and noticed that the battery is said to be able to recharge about 500 times. Isn't that crazy low? If you recharge everyday that's less than 2 years.[/QUOTE]

ALL lithium ion batteries have roughly that figure.

Thinking about selling my 3ds for a new one. (That floppy hinge has always bothered me.) What happens to the warranty on my 3ds? Is it transferred to the new owner? (I registered it.)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']What level brightness were you using before? What does power save mode do besides make it look yellowish?

Also, I'm stuck on Find Mii. Got to a dark room, and the player just gives up and leaves.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing at just Brightness 1, but yesterday I amped it to 5 and I had to stop mid day to charge it.

I'll probably keep it at 1 unless I find a visually hard to focus, but haven't had any issues keeping at 1.

I think I played for almost 3 hours and it only budged 1 bar.

I haven't bothered switching the power save feature.... I'll test it out tomorrow.

Regarding that dark "find me" room...
you just gotta keep getting random mi's until you get one that can do the light spell (the white one I think). Then he can light up the room and you can start to battle again. But yeah, I went through a ton of random mi's until I got a white one.

[quote name='confoosious']Thinking about selling my 3ds for a new one. (That floppy hinge has always bothered me.) What happens to the warranty on my 3ds? Is it transferred to the new owner? (I registered it.)[/QUOTE]

OMG is that hinge fucking annoying! If it weren't for the ambassador program I would sell it and get a new one, maybe that shiny red one...:cool:

[quote name='eliter1']OMG is that hinge fucking annoying! If it weren't for the ambassador program I would sell it and get a new one, maybe that shiny red one...:cool:[/QUOTE]

So it was fixed for the new batch of red ones? (It's what I was hoping but have never confirmed.)

I never even play the 10 NES games and while the GBA games would be cool if they included Fire Emblem, I guess I could just hunt down Fire Emblem on GBA and play on my DSlite.

AFAIK, that's the only benefit to being an ambassador. If I could net $170 on it, I would get a new one. I wish they'd announce all the GBA games though. (I wonder if I should wait for them to announce the GBA games before I sell my 3ds in case people somehow think it's worth more.)

[quote name='confoosious']So it was fixed for the new batch of red ones? (It's what I was hoping but have never confirmed.)

I never even play the 10 NES games and while the GBA games would be cool if they included Fire Emblem, I guess I could just hunt down Fire Emblem on GBA and play on my DSlite.

AFAIK, that's the only benefit to being an ambassador. If I could net $170 on it, I would get a new one. I wish they'd announce all the GBA games though. (I wonder if I should wait for them to announce the GBA games before I sell my 3ds in case people somehow think it's worth more.)[/QUOTE]

We had a return of a red one at work and I opened it up out of curiosity to see if the hinge was any different than the handful of black ones I owned. It seemed like there was a barely noticeable amount of give to the hinge. It seems a little better but its still no DS Lite hinge.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']We had a return of a red one at work and I opened it up out of curiosity to see if the hinge was any different than the handful of black ones I owned. It seemed like there was a barely noticeable amount of give to the hinge. It seems a little better but its still no DS Lite hinge.[/QUOTE]

Ok that seems better. Every time I lie down to play my 3ds, the hinge flops forward 1/4 inch. so annoying. Hopefully whoever buys it doesn't mind.

[quote name='confoosious']I never even play the 10 NES games [/QUOTE]

Same. Dicked around with each for a few minutes, and moved on. The GBA games I'd actually play though, at least most of the ones mentioned so far, as I used to have them on GBA but sold most of my cartridges a few years ago.

Just wait until the update this week and transfer all of your games to the new system and then sell it. At least, that's what I would do.

[quote name='confoosious']Ok that seems better. Every time I lie down to play my 3ds, the hinge flops forward 1/4 inch. so annoying. Hopefully whoever buys it doesn't mind.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'll "fix" the hinge anytime soon, it's been pretty much the same since the DSi was released. The chances of getting a "tight" hinge are pretty random. The Zelda 3DS that I bought has a very tight hinge, it doesn't wobble at all. But I'd rather have a wobbly hinge than have dust underneath the top screen like my current unit has.

[quote name='Mixer236']Just wait until the update this week and transfer all of your games to the new system and then sell it. At least, that's what I would do.[/QUOTE]

oh that's interesting. I didn't think Ambassador status was transferrable. Is there a definitely date on this transfer program? edit: it's Dec 8th but no one is sure whether you can transfer ambassador status yet.

I figured I can get $170 net for my ambassador which is more than I could get if it was just a regular system. But If i could transfer it, I could just trade it into Amazon. I don't like dealing with ebay if i don't have to.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The update is out now. It even adds achievements for the Mii Plaza games and StreetPass stuff.[/QUOTE]

Oh hopefully someone will try to transfer the ambassador certificate soon. I don't have two 3DSes to try.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The update is out now. It even adds achievements for the Mii Plaza games and StreetPass stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah updating now but ahem they're called 'accomplishments', (I'm pretty sure lawyers are listening in on this conversation). lol

PSA New 3DS Firmware Out Now

It seems like you can get some Puzzle Pieces via spotpass now.

BTW, I got the Pilotwings Resort puzzle. There's a SM3DL Puzzle as well.

They've really revamped this. Is the Puzzle Swap Spotpass automatic? You can also use SpotPass to add to the plaza population. Are these people we meet while playing online or just randomly arriving? Do they do anything other than just stand there? So many questions, not enough manual.

New Puzzles:
- Pilotwings Resort
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Super Mario 3D Land (40 pieces)
- Rhythm Heaven
- Mario Kart 7 (40 pieces)

Strange, I got a bunch of people added after playing Mario Kart (before this update), even though I didn't play online. I did race against a ghost the 3DS had downloaded, so maybe it upates with people who have also raced against it? They didn't come with any puzzle pieces though, and couldn't be used in FindMii. Just chilled in my Plaza.

Wow, they've put some real thought into the new Find Mii game. I can hire any of the 300+ people I've met to fight for me. That should really help for the times you find yourself against a colored shield/dark room.

A lot of us of have just been wondering if the old yet-to-be-unlocked puzzles and the original Find Mii adventure would be removed with this update and I haven't seen anyone say whether this is the case or not.

[quote name='ZombieToast']A lot of us of have just been wondering if the old yet-to-be-unlocked puzzles and the original Find Mii adventure would be removed with this update and I haven't seen anyone say whether this is the case or not.[/QUOTE]

why?!

Nothing gets deleted you just get an option for Find Mii II in the menu as well as a more granulated way to measure Miis you have "met".

[quote name='xycury']why?![/QUOTE]
Why have people been worried? Just paranoia, I suppose. I guess people think "Well, the Ambassador program has a cut-off date and Club Nintendo promotions have cut-off dates, so maybe there's a cut-off date for completing the puzzles." The thought hadn't even crossed my mind until someone else mentioned it last month or so. Nintendo is notoriously bad at handling online features, promotions, exclusivity, etc. so it seemed very possible that stuff might be removed. There's no reason for them to do so, of course...you just never know.

[quote name='foltzie']Nothing gets deleted you just get an option for Find Mii II in the menu as well as a more granulated way to measure Miis you have "met".[/QUOTE]
Awesome, thanks. Even if I wouldn't be able to unlock more old puzzles, I'd still be excited for the update. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I get some sleep first.

Am I late to the party, or is this a fairly recent development?

One of the main reasons I haven't bought much on the Virtual Console/DSiWare/etc is because of how you had to charge in fixed increments - $10, $20, etc. I was just looking at the 3DS VC and what do you know? There's an option that says 'Needed Funds', allowing you to only charge the amount of the game/content you're trying to purchase!

Why this was never an option from the very beginning, I'll never understand.

[quote name='johnnypark']Am I late to the party, or is this a fairly recent development?

One of the main reasons I haven't bought much on the Virtual Console/DSiWare/etc is because of how you had to charge in fixed increments - $10, $20, etc. I was just looking at the 3DS VC and what do you know? There's an option that says 'Needed Funds', allowing you to only charge the amount of the game/content you're trying to purchase!

Why this was never an option from the very beginning, I'll never understand.[/QUOTE]
Megaton. They even beat out Microsoft to this feature, which is huge.
[quote name='ZombieToast']A lot of us of have just been wondering if the old yet-to-be-unlocked puzzles and the original Find Mii adventure would be removed with this update and I haven't seen anyone say whether this is the case or not.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo's said from the beginning that you needed to beat the first game to even be able to play Find Mii 2, so I'm not sure why anybody thought they would be removed. The whole purpose of the new games was because some people managed to blow through them much quicker than they expected, so they made some new stuff for those people.

Though Nintendo did lie about that, as you need to beat it a couple of times to unlock all of the hats first.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nintendo's said from the beginning that you needed to beat the first game to even be able to play Find Mii 2, so I'm not sure why anybody thought they would be removed. The whole purpose of the new games was because some people managed to blow through them much quicker than they expected, so they made some new stuff for those people. [/QUOTE]
I was never concerned about Find Mii 'cause I already beat that ages ago. I was just concerned that I would no longer be able to get the old puzzles. I only have three unlocked (two of which are complete) and it would suck if I couldn't get the others. I've never heard Nintendo say that they would only be available for a limited time, but I've also never heard anything to the contrary, you know? Like I said, it's mostly paranoia.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Megaton. They even beat out Microsoft to this feature, which is huge.
[/QUOTE]

Technically Sony beat them to it first, as far as online games/content distribution is concerned in the console world. Sony never forced any branded points as substitution for currency, though.

I don't have a 360 so I didn't realize that Live was still that rigid on content purchases. When Nintendo does something before a competitor with it's online marketplace... holy crap! is all I can say.

So... ambassador STATUS transfers over? Meaning that I can get my GBA games on my Zelda 3DS?

EDIT: Yep. Gotta sell my 3DS. It's gonna be hard to compete with the 50 dollar gift card deals going on right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='johnnypark']Technically Sony beat them to it first, as far as online games/content distribution is concerned in the console world. Sony never forced any branded points as substitution for currency, though.

I don't have a 360 so I didn't realize that Live was still that rigid on content purchases. When Nintendo does something before a competitor with it's online marketplace... holy crap! is all I can say.[/QUOTE]
But don't you still have to add money to your account in $5 increments?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So... ambassador STATUS transfers over? Meaning that I can get my GBA games on my Zelda 3DS?

EDIT: Yep. Gotta sell my 3DS. It's gonna be hard to compete with the 50 dollar gift card deals going on right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you confirmed it transfers, then? Makes me feel better about the potential/inevitable hardware revision. If I had cash to burn I might try to get the Zelda 3DS because it IS quite sexy, but id be losing cash on it and don't care that much.

bread's done
Back