Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's sort of what happened to me with Avatar. More than six hours later my vision was still WEIRD. Not blurry in my case, but like...I don't know, SEEING felt wrong and weird. One of the more unpleasant things I've ever experienced, and I was sick of the "3D" effect after about 20 minutes. I can't imagine what would happen if I played a game for 6 hours straight or something :hot:[/QUOTE]

reminds me of about 1015 years ago (think lawnmower man) and they had those virtual relaity machines up at some movie theatres.. it was like $10-$15 for like 10-15 minutes in the thing. You were basically playing with 2-3 other people in a complete headseat attached to a machine on a stand...

Anyway it was really cool until i took the head unit off. I literally had my equilibrium messed up for well over a day. I couldnt even walk straight etc. I was told by the doctor that my inner ear may have adjusted for the game world and didnt come back for at least a day and a half.. terribly sucky.

Never tried it again. I imagine it was like a motion sickness or something.

Also figured this was worth mentioning.. I was the first to preorder at one of the two gamestops I ordered from (3rd at the second location). I received a call today (not automated) to confirm that I wanted black as they didnt have colors when ordering originally.

The guy talked and said he wanted to get my preorder color correct as Nintendo has said they will not be able to restock as quick as they woudl like due to the quake... I am sure it was some of a sales pitch but why? I already have my preorder. Not really sure what he would gain by completely making this up, unless they are just guessing.

Apparently a midnight laucnh on Sat or pickup on Sunday.

I'm starting to think that by the 3rd generation of 3DS games the 3D functionality will be relegated to fad status (as opposed to important game mechanic) because so many people get sick from even a few minutes of the 3D use.

I really don't get why people buy into 3D tech in general. I completely understand the economic reasons that TV and cinema companies are pushing it so hard (higher margins on the products) but I do not at all understand why consumers are buying into the hype considering the serious flaws in the technology.

I don't know if my post was deleted (I'm not sure why it would be) or if it just didn't post from my phone, but I did get a chance to try it out today and was pretty disappointed. The 3D was a massive headache after a few short minutes. The tech itself is good, the joystick is fantastic, and I'll buy one when they either get revised or go down in price a bit, but the 3D is definitely a gimmick.

/edit: I see it again. Weird. Wasn't there earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm starting to think that by the 3rd generation of 3DS games the 3D functionality will be relegated to fad status (as opposed to important game mechanic) because so many people get sick from even a few minutes of the 3D use.[/QUOTE]
We shall see. From what I've understood from the very beginning, the 3D of the 3DS doesn't pop out so much as it looks in. That is to say it's more like looking into a diorama than it is having things pop out at you.

There are a LOT of gameplay possibilities opened up by this. Platformers with more precise movement, RPG's with more detailed worlds, the list goes on and on. However, I am almost certain that it will be Nintendo leading the way with a handful of copycats and a whole pile of 'more of the same' from third parties just done a lot better.

I've been playing around with HoloToy and images from classic games. I have very high hopes based on just what I've been able to pull off goofing around.

You may be able to judge distance only slightly better but it can't really make it more detailed.

I wanted to believe 3D could add something real that can't be done in 2D but I don't feel that way anymore.
It's just some nice eye candy.

[quote name='dallow']B1G1 50% all games next Sunday at TRU.[/QUOTE]
Damn, now I have to make some tough choices.

As much as I'd like to get two 3DS games, I think I'll just go with the Kmart deal and get Nintendogs with my 3DS. I've got plenty of DS games to play, and I'm sure I can trade through CAG or Gooxez for more 3DS games.

I say that...but I really want Rayman 3DS... Never played that game, and the screenshots I've seen look great.

[quote name='M-PG71C']I played the hell out of the GameCube and Wii Animal Crossing games but skipped the DS one. The Wii one was good, but there wasn't that much of a difference between it and the GameCube one. What was ultimately disappointing was the online, it sucked balls. I think I may have connected a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

I played online in City Folk a lot, and it's a big part of what made that game for me. The key was to be active in the City Folk thread here on CAG. Of course now that's pretty much dried up, but it was great when I was playing it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']As much as I'd like to get two 3DS games, I think I'll just go with the Kmart deal and get Nintendogs with my 3DS. I've got plenty of DS games to play, and I'm sure I can trade through CAG or Gooxez for more 3DS games.

I say that...but I really want Rayman 3DS... Never played that game, and the screenshots I've seen look great.[/QUOTE]

What Kmart deal? I guess Toys R us is doing Buy 1 Get 1 50% off?

And I guess Rayman 3DS is Rayman 2? It's the best in the series, I thought...gave it a good review back in the day on the Playstation 2. If it's a competent port it's probably a solid 3D platformer, although I'm not sure there's much to it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That seems completely pointless :lol:[/QUOTE]
It is. That's how Best Buy "preorders" work (or at least how they used to work, not sure any more since I never go to Best Buy. You buy the empty box for $5, get the preorder bonus, and then bring your receipt in and get $5 off your purchase of the actual product. They don't actually log your purchase and hold one for you.

[quote name='Rocko']It is. That's how Best Buy "preorders" work (or at least how they used to work, not sure any more since I never go to Best Buy. You buy the empty box for $5, get the preorder bonus, and then bring your receipt in and get $5 off your purchase of the actual product. They don't actually log your purchase and hold one for you.[/QUOTE]

Probably not super likely, but you could actually get into the situation where you can never get your "preorder"...hopefully they'd at least give you your money back...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Probably not super likely, but you could actually get into the situation where you can never get your "preorder"...hopefully they'd at least give you your money back...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's possible I'm sure. I did it once on purpose when they did "preorders" for Snow White on blu-ray with a bonus of a steel book case. I bought the "preorder" with case for $5 at BB but then the actual BR was cheaper by far on Amazon even after the $5 off I could get at BB. So in that case it worked out well.

The producer, Hideki Konno, was quoted to have said "We're moving away from any stance that says if you don't use 3-D functionality you can't play this game." So, as one of the people who said the 3D was a gimmick... I told you so?

[quote name='Wolfpup']What Kmart deal? I guess Toys R us is doing Buy 1 Get 1 50% off?[/QUOTE]

Kmart is doing a deal where if you buy the system, you get $25 off a game. It doesn't seem 100% confirmed yet.

[quote name='elessar123']The producer, Hideki Konno, was quoted to have said "We're moving away from any stance that says if you don't use 3-D functionality you can't play this game." So, as one of the people who said the 3D was a gimmick... I told you so?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious if 3DS games will come out that don't use 3D but simply make use of the advanced hardware.

just played one at best buy, the nub feels really good with Pilot Wings, but my god did I have to turn off the 3d effect. huge headache after 10 mins. :(

i really liked the 3d slider and the controls seemed much more natural than the first time i played the DS lite.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm curious if 3DS games will come out that don't use 3D but simply make use of the advanced hardware.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so. Hopefully, they'll increase the screen to 4.3" or so, and allow true 800x240 in 2D. Then I'll be exited. It'll be the 3DSi XL by then though.

Oh man, I'm imagining a Tales of Phantasia remake on widescreen with online play... Maxwell! I suddenly feel like playing Tales of Phantasia =P

[quote name='utopianmachine']Kmart is doing a deal where if you buy the system, you get $25 off a game. It doesn't seem 100% confirmed yet.

I'm curious if 3DS games will come out that don't use 3D but simply make use of the advanced hardware.[/QUOTE]

Kmart deal is confirmed. Josh(SHC-Gamer) just posted that on facebook and his k-mart blog.

I thought I posted weeks ago that Cubic Ninja was 2D only.
[quote name='elessar123']The producer, Hideki Konno, was quoted to have said "We're moving away from any stance that says if you don't use 3-D functionality you can't play this game." So, as one of the people who said the 3D was a gimmick... I told you so?[/QUOTE]

???

He's saying they're making games so at it's possible to play in 2D with no problems so as to not alienate anyone.
Which has always been the case. They know it doesn't work as well for everyone.

Their test demo with a jumping Mario onto transparent platforms was an example. Very difficult in 2D, much easier in 3D, and that's what they're trying to avoid.

After playing the 3DS at Best Buy I have this to say:

1) It gives me that same eyes-crossed headachey feeling that I get from watching a 3D movie.
2) The 3D doesn't pop out, you look in. The 3D slider basically moves the background further back. If you move it all the way down (3D off) then the image flattens. There isn't really a feeling of depth, it is more like a bunch of 2D cutouts being moved closer and further away. I don't see how it could help you be more precise since the slider drives how deep the image actually is. This could be Pilotwings implementation, but the way the slider worked, I suspect not.

I really wanted to love this thing, but I do not. I really want Ocarina, but I just can't justify the purchase for one future release that I care about.

Also I noticed nobody else looked at or noticed this thing the entire time I was there. Maybe mainstream america doesn't know it exists yet.

[quote name='tranceFusion']Also I noticed nobody else looked at or noticed this thing the entire time I was there. Maybe mainstream america doesn't know it exists yet.[/QUOTE]

I'll weigh-in with non-trollery (honest)...

The 3DS didn't work for me, but then again, I wasn't impressed with the DS at its launch. It took a full year for the DS to get traction, but once it had a stable of decent games, it really took off and proved my intuition *very* wrong. So these people not noticing the 3DS are probably the same assholes (like moi) who passed over the DS a few years back.

The DS's history, and some of the parallels between the DS and 3DS, is a big reason I don't trust my initial impression of the 3DS. However, it's also the reason I'm surprised by the number of people willing to adopt early on the 3DS. I know there's an intangible value to being "first," but I would've guessed that the DS experience (the lag between launch and the DS becoming a gaming must-have) would weigh heavier with experienced gamers (i.e. CAGs).

I guess that's what I'd ask of early adopters in this thread: Why? Why not wait for a more robust library or for 3DS Mark 2? OoT 3DS will still be there a year from now, Rocket Slime 2 will still be there.

I just have the feeling that the majority of 3DS owners are going to play OoT and then a throwaway title and then they're going to be left thinking "What now?" for 12 months until something substantial comes along (Icarus?) and/or a hardware refresh occurs. Just like with those early DS folks, who were resigned to trying to impress upon people that those throwaway, stop-gap titles that sprung up in the interim were more than just GBA games with a dedicated map screen (or some such thing).

I can't believe that Nintendo *still* doesn't get it. Neither with regard to demos or... inconcievably.. the idea of being able to send a message to friends. WOW.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/20...in_whether_3ds_demos_will_be_worth_the_effort

I mean this guy says that, hey, that sending messages to friends idea... that could be interesting. We didn't think of it. !!! I wonder if the idea of sending a game request to a friend is also off their radar?

[quote name='crunchewy']I can't believe that Nintendo *still* doesn't get it. Neither with regard to demos or... inconcievably.. the idea of being able to send a message to friends. WOW.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/20...in_whether_3ds_demos_will_be_worth_the_effort

I mean this guy says that, hey, that sending messages to friends idea... that could be interesting. We didn't think of it. !!! I wonder if the idea of sending a game request to a friend is also off their radar?[/QUOTE]

Konno just sounds like a fool after reading that.

There is simply no excuse for not having downloadable demos this generation, especially for a handheld with the capabilities to download demo's. Apple has demo's and their games cost much less than DS or 3DS games. Since the Nintendo games are more expensive there should definitely be demo's.

If Nintendo doesn't have demos i will have to conclude that they are becoming very greedy and they assume their product will sell because OMG its the new Nintendo product. Even if it sells at launch there is no guarantee this product will continue to sell, there is never a guarantee. Sales could drop off dramatically if the product causes eye strain or other problems for most people, and if not enough games are on the shelves. Also if a lot of people buy the item and are disappointed then word will get around and sales will drop off.

As of now I don't even intend to try the 3DS with the 3D on after all the other comments in this thread, and after my experience with a 3D movie. I will however, try it with the 3D off. Why... because its not worth me getting a headache, blurry vision or some other symptom from.

Disclaimer: I own an iPod touch 4th gen, Nintendo DSi, original Nintendo DS and Sony PSP 2000. I am not biased and I am willing to purchase a system from any company who makes one (heck I even have a NeoGeo Pocket color). But I do not like when companies get greedy and just assume their product will sell, a company has to show that they back the product and that there is value to me buying the product in order for me to buy it. Doing things like region locking when it wasn't done on any other previous console and not having demos when it is clear they are needed is not going to make me buy a product.

[quote name='SaraAB']There is simply no excuse for not having downloadable demos this generation, especially for a handheld with the capabilities to download demo's. Apple has demo's and their games cost much less than DS or 3DS games. Since the Nintendo games are more expensive there should definitely be demo's.

If Nintendo doesn't have demos i will have to conclude that they are becoming very greedy and they assume their product will sell because OMG its the new Nintendo product. Even if it sells at launch there is no guarantee this product will continue to sell, there is never a guarantee. Sales could drop off dramatically if the product causes eye strain or other problems for most people, and if not enough games are on the shelves. Also if a lot of people buy the item and are disappointed then word will get around and sales will drop off.

As of now I don't even intend to try the 3DS with the 3D on after all the other comments in this thread, and after my experience with a 3D movie. I will however, try it with the 3D off. Why... because its not worth me getting a headache, blurry vision or some other symptom from.

Disclaimer: I own an iPod touch 4th gen, Nintendo DSi, original Nintendo DS and Sony PSP 2000. I am not biased and I am willing to purchase a system from any company who makes one (heck I even have a NeoGeo Pocket color). But I do not like when companies get greedy and just assume their product will sell, a company has to show that they back the product and that there is value to me buying the product in order for me to buy it. Doing things like region locking when it wasn't done on any other previous console and not having demos when it is clear they are needed is not going to make me buy a product.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, the demos of iOS games have nothing to do with Apple, they are up to the developer/publisher to create.

We care about demos, but average consumers don't. Studies have shown this, and that's how Nintendo, Sony and Apple operate. None require demos on their services as it doesn't affect sales in the long run.

I thought Apps required demos.

I think demos for downloadable games should be required. And I don't mean '2-3 weeks after launch' either. I mean on launch day, before I lay down cash. If there are $60-$80 games in the future with no demos I'm not going to buy them. I'm honestly just mad that demos are less and less prevalent at this point in the generation than they were at the start.

Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade is the only thing that requires demos. Seems like they do best about having demos up for games they sell too (maybe not any better than the Playstation on that, not sure, but they're better than everyone else).

Developers doesn't have much to lose other than their time by releasing demos on iOS but companies like Nintendo and Sony will charge them for that privilege. I don't know how effective demos are for sales, but as for myself I download demos for games I have no intention of ever purchasing. No demo I have ever tried in my life has changed my mind about purchasing the game or not.

[quote name='laaj']Developers doesn't have much to lose other than their time by releasing demos on iOS but companies like Nintendo and Sony will charge them for that privilege. I don't know how effective demos are for sales, but as for myself I download demos for games I have no intention of ever purchasing. No demo I have ever tried in my life has changed my mind about purchasing the game or not.[/QUOTE]

They charge them for them? They sure shouldn't...

[quote name='sunghost']We don't know that for sure yet, the only negative comments about it that I've read are from the Ngamer editor. This guy (corbie33) is saying the framerate drops are either minor or unnoticeable and the 3D is excellent.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm seeing that now.

When I played a demo of a game it has definitely changed my mind about either purchasing or not purchasing a game. It goes both ways, there are some games that I bought because of a really good demo that I would have never considered buying and some game demos I tried were just flat out bad and changed my mind about some games.

The only handheld game I would pay $60 for would be a full-fledged Pokemon MMORPG and it would have to be really good if I was gonna pay $60 for it. If handheld games get up to $50-60 this gen fully expect me to not buy another handheld system for the next 5 years.

Demos are so important because you can't tell how a game plays by just watching a video or looking at a screenshot. Perhaps this worked in the days when everything was controlled by buttons but now you have multiple ways of controlling games so its necessary to test a game for yourself before you buy it to see if the controls are up to standards. Some DS games have stylus controls that are pretty unresponsive and some DS games have stylus controls that are absolutely fantastic. There aren't any stores that allow you to try any game before you buy it, and games are non-returnable if opened. The more I spend on a game the more I expect that I will be able to try it before I buy it.

There are a bunch of launch day events this weekend. Details and cities are here:
http://www.nintendo.com//3ds/launch-day-events

I wonder if the free case that they're giving out is that "official" one that dallow linked? Might be worth waiting in line for, if so.

I finally got around to playing a 3DS today, I have to say I was rather impressed. I can't wait to see what this system has to offer in the future, I wish they had a steel diver demo though. I can see where the negativity is coming from towards Pilot Wings but that game has always been a hate it or love it.

My 3DS impressions playing PilotWings:
-first off, if you're undecided in a color, forget blue. It's UGLY. Crazy ugly. I know it's intriguing in pictures-it doesn't look like that in real life. Just get black.

-The controls-the analog stick is pretty great. The PSP one gets the job done, but this it feels easier to push it just part way, and feels better to use too. It's the best analog stick yet on a portable (err...well, of two). The rest of the controls-d-pad and buttons-are quite a bit better on the PSP though, but the stick feels like a real achievement.

-Graphics, as expected, looked like a decent PSP game, except of course with a Nintendo vibe.

Okay...now...the screen....

What surprised me was whereas with say Avatar, the effect (such as it is) just works...you're not going to miss it. What was really weird with this is I actually had to WORK at making it look right...sort of like one of those optical illusions, where you don't see what it's supposed to be at first, and then you sort of do. This was like that every time I went back to it, and sometimes it would just sort of lose it again. I think that alone will make it terrible for long term use. Until you “see” it, it's just two blurry screens...like you can look at it and see them independently. I somehow wasn't expecting that, I guess since you don't have to work at it to “see” the illusion with other “3D” I've used.

If you force it, the effect does sort of work...in particular, what someone said about the Pilotwings vehicles/people looking like little toys in front of the background is true...particularly with the rocketpack, it was almost like a little Lego guy, with a game screen behind him. It's gimmicky, but actually interesting to look at. The background wasn't as obvious, though it did make navigation a bit harder because it was harder to judge distances...like...the “3D” effect sort of interferes with the actual 3D of the game engine, making it harder to figure out where and how far you are from something.

So...it's interesting, but I suspect more annoying than useful...better as a novelty to look at through an image viewer or whatever than on a game system..

But then we get to the effects on my eyes (besides having to work at “seeing” something other than two separate screens)-after a few minutes, I did notice one of my eyes was watering and a little weird. It wasn't super bad, and when I walked away my vision was a LITTLE weird, but not 1/4 as bad as with Avatar...

Only I only played it 5 minutes or whatever the first go versus Avatar at 2+ hours...that it did ANYTHING to my vision in that time means I'm pretty sure it'll be bad if you sit there for 2 hours...let alone 5 hours or whatever.

I intentionally left to get my vision back to normal-ish, then came back to try it with “3D” off.

And here's what I was worried about-I had the slider down all the way, and it sort of flicked and came back so I guess it was off, but there was something still “off” about it-something still unnatural and wrong looking about it that was irritating.

So I THINK it's still not right even when “3D” is “off”...which is precisely what I was worried about.

In all honesty, I really really prefer the screens on the PSP and DS XL...they're bigger, and easier on the eyes...there's nothing weird going on, no concentrating to make, the visuals look right :lol:.

So...where does this leave me? I'm not sure. I need to cancel my blue one tonight, since my doubts about which one to get are gone. But...I don't think this screen is for me...even off, it doesn’t seem right.

I think I'm going to cancel...but this is hard for me as I hate giving up the preorder, and, since I've owned every single Nintendo system since except the Virtual Boy. Why didn't I get the Virtual Boy? Well, same exact reason...it did weird things to my eyes. Passing up a new Paper Mario and game from the Mario Galaxy team? That's CRAZY hard for me...but I can't imagine having to use that for hours...so....I'm not quite ready to cancel my black preorder yet, but I rationally speaking I should :whistle2:/

Oh, regarding Pilotwings itself? I would buy it if it were on another system. The control feels good-only complaint is maybe a little TOO good...not quite sim-ish enough. The original had a throttle control-this just had a neutral speed and a boost and brake button, and it felt more like Panzer Dragoon or whatever in terms of flight controls. So maybe worse in being better...if that makes sense. But still, there are so few games like this I'd bite, if it were on a different system. (Wish that Pilotwings-esque PSP game had made it over here! Hasn't been one since that early PS2 game.)

I wouldn't cancel man, just turn the 3D off. If it really bothers your eyes then that's more reasonable to do than to cancel what's going to be a portable system of awesome. :p

So I pre-ordered Nintendogs, Samuari Warriors, and SSFIV3D. The last one I only paid $5 for essentially ($25 Amazon GC from credit card, $10 game credit I had floating around). Actually, with the $10 game credit that comes with it, I kind of come out ahead funny enough.

[quote name='M-PG71C']I wouldn't cancel man, just turn the 3D off. If it really bothers your eyes then that's more reasonable to do than to cancel what's going to be a portable system of awesome. :p[/quote]

That's the problem though-it doesn't look normal to me, not quite, even with it off.

Yeah I'm going to cancel my 3DS pre-order as well. Too expensive to get in on day one and there aren't any games that I'm inteested in.

I'm hoping for a sweet zelda or paper mario bundle next year, but I doubt I can wait that long once the top-tier software starts coming out. It'll probably wind up being a nintendogs bundle anyway.

I'm also leaning towards pre-order cancellation after demo-ing the device 3 times at Bestbuy this week. The negative criticism outweighs the few positives for this mediocre and pricey launch, and I know Nintendo won't abandon the huge DS market for several more years. I can sacrifice the 3D novelty factor in my portable gaming for now.

i was having a lot of trouble adjusting my eyes to the 3d perspective. i could not recognize the 3d of it except that it was blurry in the center until my friend told me to focus harder. my eyes ended up hurting and i got a headache..maybe it just takes time to get used to.

bread's done
Back