Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Anyone wanting to try this with maximum safety, you could use a different SD card. Format to FAT32 (if it isnt already) copy data from the 3DS original card to the new card and give it a whirl. If thinks look good you could always go in reverse if the SD card you used is needed elsewhere.

*Altough at three days since being released do you really have much to lose?

There is already a thread for the codes, you all posting in here are missing out.

My SF4 showed up. It looked like it was resealed(no factory folds, just plastic wrap) but it's new from NewEgg. Maybe they had to reseal it themselves. I like to think that the UPS workers were just trying our systems and games out for us before they arrived at the door.

Also Nintendo did it again with the tiny ridges in their inner case edges. My manual has those small dents near the top of it just about all my Wii games had :bomb:

Played about 45 minutes of Pilotwings, it's pretty fun. I'd like it more if crashes were more violent, even if it was cartoony violence. Just isn't as fun crashing into a bunch of rocks if the plane doesn't explode.

Seems I've gotten used to using the 3D, since my eyes don't feel weird. I'm glad I can be lazy and lie down while playing in 3D.

I bought these from Target.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-clean-and-protect/89909
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-pull-go-folio/89907

I really only bought the $10 set for the screen protectors. As for the other thing, if I'm spending $250 on the thing and it's so damn glossy I'd like to try and keep it nice.

Also, while I was at Target, they had at least 20 DSi XL Mario 25th anniversary units (the red ones with Mario Kart bundled in) on clearance for $125. Is it just me or is that a crazy price?

[quote name='Rocko']I bought these from Target.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-clean-and-protect/89909
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-pull-go-folio/89907

I really only bought the $10 set for the screen protectors. As for the other thing, if I'm spending $250 on the thing and it's so damn glossy I'd like to try and keep it nice.

Also, while I was at Target, they had at least 20 DSi XL Mario 25th anniversary units (the red ones with Mario Kart bundled in) on clearance for $125. Is it just me or is that a crazy price?[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing price when they have sold on AWD for more.

May not have been brought up before, but I'm wondering if the downloads are tied to the console ala the Wii and if that will present any problems transferring if need be?

Good to know that the 3DS games fit well into those Penguin game cartridge cases. I like the Hori cases better since they can fit in my pocket, but the 3DS games won't fit into those.

[quote name='Snake2715']All the SFIV at my Kmart and Meijer were the same way, no worries on the re seal look.[/QUOTE]

Ah, Thanks

I'd buy one of those XLs. I'll be checking around tomorrow.

Also, I guess my UPS guy escaped from the Dapper Champions Manifesting Your Inconvenience Organization (DCMYIO) because he showed up a few hours ago.

Hooray!

[quote name='omster']Anyone notice it gets easier to get into the "sweet spot" after every use?

Also, I was blowing dust off the screen and noticed a neat effect on the menu items. The mic is just below the start button if you want to try.[/QUOTE]
I caught that on iFixit.

dallow: mind if I add you to my friend list?

Here's my info:

hni0002h.jpg

3DS FC: 3737-9532-0909

Everyone needs to play with the music visualizers, though you have to add songs to the SD card first.
They are really neat, and playable to a degree. Seriously, try them out!

You can put them anywhere, the 3DS will find them. I just made a root folder called MUSIC personally.

EDIT: bmachine, of course, adding you now.

It didn't find music when I put it inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, but did when I put it in the root.

Edit: Wow the karaoke filter works pretty well actually.

So what's the consensus on screen protectors on the top screen has anyone done it yet? I immediately put one on the touch screen but I haven't put the other one on the top screen yet because I was concerned it would affect the 3d.

The system needs to identify adding people as a game, because then it would say "Currently playing: Friends List."

A ho ho ho.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So what's the consensus on screen protectors on the top screen has anyone done it yet? I immediately put one on the touch screen but I haven't put the other one on the top screen yet because I was concerned it would affect the 3d.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen the need for screen protectors of any kind on DS systems and I certainly wouldn't mess with the top screen on this one. My kids use a 5 year old DS Phat and it is still in great shape. Now, on an iPod Touch I slap screen protectors on those ASAP since they are all yucky and finger-based. But as long as you stick to the stylus, I don't see the need for screen protectors on a DS. The DS Lite I've used for 3 years now still looks brand new.

[quote name='io']I've never seen the need for screen protectors of any kind on DS systems and I certainly wouldn't mess with the top screen on this one. My kids use a 5 year old DS Phat and it is still in great shape. Now, on an iPod Touch I slap screen protectors on those ASAP since they are all yucky and finger-based. But as long as you stick to the stylus, I don't see the need for screen protectors on a DS. The DS Lite I've used for 3 years now still looks brand new.[/QUOTE]

I agree there, my original DS looks new. My 3DS screens are good, but the system itself... It's a fingerprint mess! You can see every little thing on the system because it's so glossy. But other than that, I enjoy it so far.

Man, finally played something where I strongly prefer the 3D on.

Ghost Recon

It's just so lifeless in 2D, the levels come to life in 3D.
First game I refuse to play in 2D.

Fun game so far too!

I'm going to use a screen protector on the bottom screen. I would anyway, but especially for SFIV, I'll be using my thumb for the easy-mode combos, heh. As for the top screen, I didn't use one for my DSL and I won't use one for my 3DS because I don't find it necessary and I also don't want to fuck with the 3DS mechanisms, heh.

The music player will recognize MP3s now, right? I should try it out.

Everything I've heard about Ghost Recon has been positive. I may need to hit up TRU while they're doing their BOGO deal and grab that.

Friendly suggestions:
  • Get some clear tape and put it over the serial number on the back of the system. This will help prevent it from rubbing off, which will help if you ever need to speak with technical support and/or send it in for repairs. If you plan on keeping the box, do the same with the sticker on it as well. I'd also suggest writing this down in a text file to keep it easily accessible.
  • As mentioned previously, if you are going to use the SD card that comes with the system, immediately format it fresh with a computer in FAT32 format.
  • If you are adding music files to play with the sound channel, put them in the root of the SD card. Don't put them inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder or it won't find them.

Impressions:
  • Build quality feels really nice. Feels heavier and more sturdy than other systems.
  • Dpad feels nice; will have to test it more.
  • Kinda weird that you put the SD card in upside down; I can't remember if that's how the DSi did it.
  • Some of the menus can't be scrolled with the circle pad, which is annoying.
  • You can't go from the channels to the menu options at the top with the circle pad, which is also slightly annoying.
  • I like that the manuals for each channel can be accessed independently and immediately.
  • Speakers are nice but feel underpowered. Will have to test that more.
  • I like the gradient color scheme, but the physical graduations are a little silly. I like clean and smooth lines, with continuous surfaces and planes.
  • The hinge "locks" into place; I don't seem to recall this with other systems.
  • I hope this isn't just mine, but when it's closed, it/ doesn't seem as flush as I'd like it to be.
  • It's glossy and fingerprints do show, but the metallic nature of the paint offsets this somewhat. I'm really OCD about this sort of thing and I'm not quite as bothered as I am with other similar devices.
  • All the different colored LEDs are stupidly fun.
  • I don't like the stylus behind on the back edge.
  • I think the cradle is either overrated or unnecessary, but to be fair I haven't tried using it yet. So whatever.
  • Surprised the headphone port is just a "normal" one, thereby making it somewhat non-backwards compatible. Also the port isn't labeled.

Mmm. Can't think of any others off hand. Won't have games until Thursday (Pilotwings and Steel Diver). Amazon's sale GREATLY helped mitigate the initial prices.

I put screen protectors on both the top and bottom screens. Works great. I always put screen protectors on my portables like my Ipod Touch, PSP, DS Lite, DSI XL, and now my 3DS. I just feel like I want to protect it as much as possible because it was such a big investment.

Face Raiders is the shit. I have myself, my cats, Conan O'Brien,and others in there. Also, the 3D camera is incredible.

I'll post my friend code in the appropriate thread after I eat.

[quote name='Strell']I'd buy one of those XLs. I'll be checking around tomorrow.

Also, I guess my UPS guy escaped from the Dapper Champions Manifesting Your Inconvenience Organization (DCMYIO) because he showed up a few hours ago.

Hooray![/QUOTE]

Great, so I'm the last one in the world to get a 3DS.

[quote name='dallow']Man, finally played something where I strongly prefer the 3D on.

Ghost Recon

It's just so lifeless in 2D, the levels come to life in 3D.
First game I refuse to play in 2D.

Fun game so far too![/QUOTE]

I just realizes last night the multiplayer mode on that is 2 players taking turns with a single Ds... not bad I say, cool to have that option. Bust out like chess or something. Also you can flip the animations to fast and speed up the movement, etc. I am digging this game. I love it when smoke or something will blow by the screen and somewhat block your view, the 3D those areas is cool.

[quote name='Strell']
  • As mentioned previously, if you are going to use the SD card that comes with the system, immediately format it fresh with a computer in FAT32 format.
[/QUOTE]
Even though there's at least one case of this not fixing the problem? How do these cards come formatted, that random gonintendo tipster claims that it is formatted "wrong?"

So my wife tells me that she wants to buy my son a DS for his birthday in July. We already have a DS Lite (mine) and a DSi (my daughter's) in the house. I think he is too young for the 3D stuff so I'm going to get him the DSi (there's also no way in hell I'm spending $250+ games on a 4 year old and if you ask me the DSi is too much but whatever) but I'd like to parlay this into a 3DS for myself. C'mon CAGs, what is the best way to go about this? Giving him my used DS Lite for his birthday is lame so I need to get a DSi on the cheap, trade in my DS Lite and put that towards a 3DS... sounds pricey...

Does anyone else have the trim around the bottom screen leaving lines on their top screen? It's not permanent, just from finger prints and such. I think it's reason enough for me to put a screen protector on the top though.

[quote name='strell']
Impressions:
* I don't like the stylus behind on the back edge.
* I think the cradle is either overrated or unnecessary, but to be fair I haven't tried using it yet. So whatever.
* Surprised the headphone port is just a "normal" one, thereby making it somewhat non-backwards compatible. [/QUOTE]

Agree about the stylus the location is clown shoes.

The cradle feels cheap, but Im thinking it's for the video push. Thank about it your not going to want to hold it to watch a movie or something on Netflix. Plus the fact it the battery life sucks so having the dock solves both issues.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Does anyone else have the trim around the bottom screen leaving lines on their top screen? It's not permanent, just from finger prints and such. I think it's reason enough for me to put a screen protector on the top though.[/QUOTE]
Yes, same for me.

The entire upper lid is already protected though so all I need is a microfiber cloth.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Does anyone else have the trim around the bottom screen leaving lines on their top screen? It's not permanent, just from finger prints and such. I think it's reason enough for me to put a screen protector on the top though.[/QUOTE]

Mine does this too. I keep a cleaning cloth in my carrying case to wipe it off.

[quote name='Javery']So my wife tells me that she wants to buy my son a DS for his birthday in July. We already have a DS Lite (mine) and a DSi (my daughter's) in the house. I think he is too young for the 3D stuff so I'm going to get him the DSi (there's also no way in hell I'm spending $250+ games on a 4 year old and if you ask me the DSi is too much but whatever) but I'd like to parlay this into a 3DS for myself. C'mon CAGs, what is the best way to go about this? Giving him my used DS Lite for his birthday is lame so I need to get a DSi on the cheap, trade in my DS Lite and put that towards a 3DS... sounds pricey...[/QUOTE]

Get the kid a 3DS... then, when you open it, read all the warnings about not letting kids under seven use 3D and decide it'd be best if he got your old DS Lite instead. ;)

My PowerA screen protectors (hopefully okay) are shipping soon instead of the end of the month. I suppose I should test it when I get them rather than finishing my current games, to make sure the unit is okay.

bread's done
Back