Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

played my brother's launch 3DS, well, after his came with a dead L button and had to return it and the monkey at GameStop actually put the game in the case this time.

SSFIV is absolutely terrible.........on your hands. Granted I'm used to a fight stick with the game but the controls (pro mode) are very unforgiving on your digits. The game is top notch.

Pilot Wings is basically what everyone remembers. Seems to be the only game he has worth playing in 3D

[quote name='dallow']

You can, just turn the 3D off. It looks great without it.[/QUOTE]

I know but what I meant was that I can't enjoy the system since I can't "see" 3D.

[quote name='GohanX']I don't think 3D really adds anything to Bust a Move, I leave it off. However, it is still one of the better versions of the game, and worth owning. Besides, every handheld needs a good puzzle game.

I was playing it at lunch, the music is still in my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES![/QUOTE]

I'm the Juggernaut, bitch?

[quote name='Birakon']I bought a 3ds last night. I can't see the 3d. I have had problems with my eyes through my life...I literally just can't see the 3D. However, still worth it without it. Better graphical capabilities than the DSI/lite and it opens me up to both librarys. I am pretty happy with it. I bought street fighter 3D and Pokemon black. Glad to have a DS again.[/QUOTE]

Before I picked up my 3DS, I thought I won't be able to see anything 3D due to my degenerative vision disease and having cataract surgeries on both eyes but to my surpise, I still can see stuff in stereoscopic 3D. I remember reading articles about some people not having any depth perception and/or the ability to see things in stereoscopic 3D. I might lose the latter in the future but am just glad I can still experience it today.

It sucks for anyone who can't experience that kind of 3D but like many said, the games are still great to play in 2D anyways.

I tried out the AR cards...pretty nifty but somewhat awkward when you try to stay relative to the AR card when you move around it....hard not to tilt the 3DS w/o losing the 3D effect (screen dimming and double vision)

[quote name='elessar123']I'm the Juggernaut, bitch?[/QUOTE]

Ugh, X3 (X-Men 3) was one of the WORST films ever. The upcoming X-Men First Class movie doesn't look good either. Loved the old X-Men comics...

[quote name='007']I was the one that posted about it.

I didn't have a 'Transfer to DS' button either, so I had to use the button presses. Go into the Mii Maker on the 3DS and choose the Send/Receive option. Choose to connect to the Mii Channel. At this point the 3DS will sit in searching mode until you manually connect the Wii Mii Channel to it.

The button presses work, but I found it to be temperamental. Simply press (NOT press and hold) the buttons in the order it tells you (A, B, 1) and then HOLD the 2 button afterwards. A prompt should pop on your TV that asks if you want to connect to the wireless device to transfer Miis. Should be good to go.

Once it works, there's a box at the top where you drag the Mii you want to send. One at a time, and you HAVE to confirm it on the 3DS before sending another... it's just a little message telling you it showed up, but until you click 'ok' to dismiss the message, no other Mii will actually get sent.

That's it, really. Just keep trying the button presses, it'll work eventually. Easy transfer, too, I got about 15 of my Miis sent over in about 2 minutes. Way, way easier than creating them. Plus, you can edit them with the new 3DS stuff, like the full beard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured it out shortly after I posted, actually. Tempermental it is... It didn't help that at first I intepreted their directions as pressing and holding A, B, 1, and then 2. I was trying to press them all at the same time, though I swear I tried them in sequence a few times too and it didn't work. But then finally it did ;). I guess the reeson they don't have the "Connect to DS" show up right away is that they don't want to confude people who don't have a 3DS. If that was just there all of a sudden, people would be trying to connect up to DS Lites and DSi's and Nintendo would probably be flooded with support calls about that. So, yeah, it is pretty clunky design to have to press all those buttons to make it active, but I see why they did it.

Only problem was that I had forgotten my main Wii's memory got wiped about 2 years ago and in disgust I really haven't played it much since then (after losing non-copyable AC and SSBB saves with 100's of hours on them) so I really didn't have many Miis worth importing anyway. Oh well...

[quote name='Beccaree']I've been playing face raiders too. The second time I played it, it told me I was a male. I had my hair pulled back. It told my guy friend with long hair that he was a girl. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it must be using the hair a lot for gender recognition. Both of the boys have thick curly hair so I guess that threw it off. Though it did manage to ID my 1 year old girl, who doesn't have that much hair, as a girl - though it ID'd her as a child (4+) and not an infant.

I should see what it does with me...

At least with the cats it just says "Age ?? Gender ??" ;) - but still works very well within the game (it does ID their eyes and mouth which is all it really needs to do the expressions and such).

[quote name='io']Yeah, it must be using the hair a lot for gender recognition. Both of the boys have thick curly hair so I guess that threw it off. Though it did manage to ID my 1 year old girl, who doesn't have that much hair, as a girl - though it ID'd her as a child (4+) and not an infant.

At least with the cats it just says "Age ?? Gender ??" ;) - but still works very well within the game (it does ID their eyes and mouth which is all it really needs to do the expressions and such).[/QUOTE]

Can Mii Cats and Dogs be made on the 3DS (Like Wii Fit Plus)?

Here's the QR code for my Mii, if anyone wants me skulking around their plaza:

hni0002h.jpg

Anyone else wanna share theirs?

My FC is 3737-9532-0909.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Ugh, X3 (X-Men 3) was one of the WORST films ever. The upcoming X-Men First Class movie doesn't look good either. Loved the old X-Men comics...[/QUOTE]

Lol... The movie quote was taken from the meme, not vice versa.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Can Mii Cats and Dogs be made on the 3DS (Like Wii Fit Plus)?[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of that. No, I don't think so - but now you are making me want to check out Wii Fit Plus (which I have never opened).

I played some more SFIV on my roommate's 3DS today (mine will be here tomorrow). I'm really terrible, playing on easy. ;-;

This time I played in the standard view, whereas last time I played that new weird over the back view. I don't know if that's why, but this time the 3D was fine. Easier to keep in focus and didn't hurt my eyes.

[quote name='io']I've never heard of that. No, I don't think so - but now you are making me want to check out Wii Fit Plus (which I have never opened).[/QUOTE]

On Wii Fit Plus, my cat has a Mii- haha.

[quote name='io']Yeah, it must be using the hair a lot for gender recognition. Both of the boys have thick curly hair so I guess that threw it off. Though it did manage to ID my 1 year old girl, who doesn't have that much hair, as a girl - though it ID'd her as a child (4+) and not an infant.

At least with the cats it just says "Age ?? Gender ??" ;) - but still works very well within the game (it does ID their eyes and mouth which is all it really needs to do the expressions and such).[/QUOTE]

It must be hilarious to play face raiders with pets. I need to get a cat. :lol:

[quote name='Beccaree']It must be hilarious to play face raiders with pets. I need to get a cat. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah faceraiders claims it works on pictures as well... so in the interim go find a pic of a cat or dogs face and try to take a pic of that off your pc screen.

I seriously was rolling with my dog, it was pretty funny.

[quote name='EspressoSnail']
Here's mine. So cool that you can share your Miis like this.
Also my FC if anyone missed it: 1934 0667 7103[/QUOTE]

Added you! The QR code sharing for the Miis is awesome!
Too bad it's not merged with the Friend Codes.

Got my games today. Street Fighter and Pilotwings. Probably should've ordered Ghost Recon too. But I'm going to wait until 6/30 to see if any more sales go down on 3DS games.

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah faceraiders claims it works on pictures as well... so in the interim go find a pic of a cat or dogs face and try to take a pic of that off your pc screen.

I seriously was rolling with my dog, it was pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I used pictures too - much easier than trying to get them to sit still with good lighting and such. I struggled enough getting a clear picture of my 3 year-old ;).

[quote name='utopianmachine']Tomorrow, I too will be one of the cool people, when my 3DS arrives.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's too late. You missed out on being cool by not having it the first day. Sorry!

UPS dropped it off about 2 hours ago. Cooked dinner and started messing around with the setup etc. Played some SF IV and so far so good a little headache, but nothing to bad.

I love the QR code Mii feature.

FC 1977 - 0174 - 5552

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kfoster1979']UPS dropped it off about 2 hours ago. Cooked dinner and started messing around with the setup etc. Played some SF IV and so far so good a little headache, but nothing to bad.

I love the QR code Mii feature.

FC 1977 - 00174 - 5552

[/QUOTE]

Are you guys getting the QR pics here by yanking the SD card out of the DS and dumping it on your computer? Or is there a more elegant way? ;)

Oh, and kudos to Nintendo for including the SD card this time around. I guess the 3DS has some internal memory as well? It was giving me the option of transering pictures from the DS card to internal memory. But otherwise everything seems to run off the card.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']FC 1977 - 00174 - 5552[/QUOTE]

I think you may have 1 too many digits there, Keith!

[quote name='io']Are you guys getting the QR pics here by yanking the SD card out of the DS and dumping it on your computer? [/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I did it.

[quote name='Strell']Don't listen to io, utopian. He puts the io in...in...

Yeah, shut up io![/QUOTE]

Where's your 3DS Strell? All talk and no play!?
As the preeminent Nintendo fanboy on CAG I thought you'd have 3 or 4 by now!

[quote name='bmachine']I think you may have 1 too many digits there, Keith!

That's exactly how I did it.[/QUOTE]

Extra Zero taken care of... Thanks :D

[quote name='io']Where's your 3DS Strell? All talk and no play!?[/QUOTE]

CLEARLY Matt Young bribed the UPS man to go to HIS house first and not MINE, a quite deft and apt form of treachery I won't forgive either of those sumbitches for.

Yeah, shut up io!

[quote name='Strell']Don't listen to io, utopian. He puts the io in...in...

Yeah, shut up io![/QUOTE]

You're getting your 3DS tomorrow too, right, Strell? We're good little CAGs, not even paying extra for faster shipping.

It was scheduled for tomorrow. But then it said it was out for delivery.

And then I punched some nuns and the orphaned puppies they were trying to give to mirthless homes.

I'm beginning to think io and Matt Young and UPS are in cahoots. Dr. Claw probably fits in there somewhere too.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, shut up io![/QUOTE]

I'd get my older son (the one who was all over your case in Animal Crossing City Folk - remember that?) to put you in your place but all he cares about these days is Halo. I fear I've lost him :cry:. He could care less about the 3DS. Yes, I'm actually living 24/7 with a Halo fanboy :shudder:...

He actually says stuff like "Halo is awesome and every other game sucks". But then again, he is 11, so it is more age appropriate than what some CAGs do.

He's not totally lost if he still likes the Beatles.

If he doesn't like the Beatles, time to find a nice bridge for him to live under.

[quote name='Strell']He's not totally lost if he still likes the Beatles.

If he doesn't like the Beatles, time to find a nice bridge for him to live under.[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah, sorry to say he's over that now. It is all Halo all the time... He's actually more interested in collecting the Halo Mega Bloks than the actual game at this point. He played it (all of them to be exact) so much I think he's burnt out on the actual game. But he doesn't want to play anything else either. He expressed some interest in getting PilotWings Resort when we saw it at Target but then when we got home and I finally opened up our 3DS last night he said he didn't care about it any more. I was clearly the most excited one in the house about it. Considering that I have kids that are 14. 11, 8, and 3 (and 1) that was actually quite surprising. The kids these days are so jaded what with their iPods and their rock music and their sugary snacks... Well, my 3 year-old wanted to take it but there's no way that was going to happen. I just don't like flushing $250 down the toilet (most likely literally).

That's a lot of kids io! :O

I got Pilotwings Resort and Ghost Recon today.
Really like Pilotwings so far, shame it's just one 'area'. :(

Gonna try Ghost Recon tonight and am crossing fingers for no error screens.

[quote name='dallow']That's a lot of kids io! :O
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I've been a very bad boy.

[quote name='Strell']Supposed fix for the BSOD. Reformat the included SD cards in FAT32.[/QUOTE]

Can you back everything up first, including all the Miis and friend codes and street pass stuff? I mean, can you just dump all the card contents to a folder on a PC before doing that? I'd be more interested in upgrading the SD card but I'm wondering if I should do that sooner rather than later in case stuff gets lost permanently. I think I put a 4GB card into my DSi which I never really used. I'd like to move that one over, but it has some DSiWare stuff on it (not much, but whatever). I should probably just get an 8GB or something.

I'm not necessarily asking you Strell, since I know you couldn't possibly know any of this stuff what with UPS playing hide and seek with your 3DS.

[quote name='io']Yes, I've been a very bad boy.

Can you back everything up first, including all the Miis and friend codes and street pass stuff? I mean, can you just dump all the card contents to a folder on a PC before doing that? I'd be more interested in upgrading the SD card but I'm wondering if I should do that sooner rather than later.

I'm not necessarily asking you Strell, since I know you couldn't possibly know any of this stuff what with UPS playing hide and seek with your 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems as simple as copying the complete file structure onto your computer and pasting it back.
I'll be backing it up regularly that way.

I may try that 'fix'.
Edit: or not, didn't seem to help for one commenter on there. Eh.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, it seems as simple as copying the complete file structure onto your computer and pasting it back.
I'll be backing it up regularly that way.

I may try that 'fix'.[/QUOTE]

OK, well, you never know with Nintendo - all the stuff could go back on but not be "valid" any more since the card was reformatted and the saves were "registered" with the exact formatting method of the card or some nonsense. I'm thinking Wii here ;).

Are there any minimum specs required for the SD cards? Any list of Nintendo-approved ones? I was just looking on Amazon and even within the same brand (Sandisk) there are so many different 8GB cards.

This seems to be all Nintendo has to say about it:
Important Note! While it is possible to use SD standard or SDHC standard based cards, we cannot guarantee that products other than the official SD card will work.

So, yeah, typical CYA language there...

I suppose the DSi info will have to suffice as a baseline:
The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL are compatible with most SD Cards with the following specifications:

Memory Capacity: Up to 32 GB (Gigabytes)

Type: The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL support standard SD cards as well as high-capacity SD cards (SDHC) up to 32 GB in size. This includes miniSD and microSD when used with their respective adapters

Speed: SD Cards with a slow speed may experience slow transfer time when loading files, or may not work at all. Slow transfer times can also occur with SD Cards that have a great number of files on them.

Anyone notice it gets easier to get into the "sweet spot" after every use?

Also, I was blowing dust off the screen and noticed a neat effect on the menu items. The mic is just below the start button if you want to try.

bread's done
Back