Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Just ordered the 3DS Zelda case from Club Nintendo.  I've been wanting something better than the plastic bag I've been using to store my games!

Traveling for work, and got ~17 hits between two airports.  Would have expected more but this is actually the first time I've got ANY hits on a work trip.  Sad...

Only 3 new pink pieces though dammit!

Finally finished the Chibi-Robo puzzle. Now to wait for the next one and seed some pinks through HomePass.
I need to buy a cheap router to do this homepass thing. Il just daisy chain the new one to my main one. So il have a dedicated homepass router. Hehe! Is this how most of you do it?

I need to buy a cheap router to do this homepass thing. Il just daisy chain the new one to my main one. So il have a dedicated homepass router. Hehe! Is this how most of you do it?
That's how I do it, though I've been tinkering with the Android method on an old phone and reverse tether. The router is more reliable.

I still haven't gotten a single Zelda streetpass hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any cheap router you recommend? My main one is linksys so im leaning towards the same brand
I'd go with Linksys. I had an old tank of a wrt54g that lasted a good 10 years before dying. Replaced with a Belkin that was a complete piece of shit. Got a d-Link as my main, with an old Motorola router as my HomePass unit (running DD-WRT).

Really, avoid Belkin anything. Used to be great, but they just suck anymore.

Belkin was never great.

For a cheap, above average one, get a TPLink. I bought this one as a spare when it was cheap ($42.10) during Thanksgiving, but you don't need anything that powerful even.

This one is under $30, and supports DD-WRT.

They're not the best, but they're actually up there, despite being so cheap.

The newer Linksys routers aren't as good as the older ones. So nothing stands out like the WRT54Gs did.

I'm sure the answer is no but is there a way to remove a scratch in the upper screen?  I left my 3DS at home for one freaking day and someone scratched it.  Using 3D is so distracting now because it really pops out.  It was probably the baby since she is mobile and into everything but I'm pretty annoyed that it was left out for her to even get her hands on.  Ugh.

I'd go with Linksys. I had an old tank of a wrt54g that lasted a good 10 years before dying. Replaced with a Belkin that was a complete piece of shit. Got a d-Link as my main, with an old Motorola router as my HomePass unit (running DD-WRT).

Really, avoid Belkin anything. Used to be great, but they just suck anymore.
At what point did Belkin start sucking? I've been using the same Belkin router for the last 5 or 6 years and it works wonderfully. It doesn't have a whole lot of features, but it was also just a cheap $40 router I found at Home Depot.

I'm sure the answer is no but is there a way to remove a scratch in the upper screen? I left my 3DS at home for one freaking day and someone scratched it. Using 3D is so distracting now because it really pops out. It was probably the baby since she is mobile and into everything but I'm pretty annoyed that it was left out for her to even get her hands on. Ugh.
I think it would be harder to buff scratches out of the touch screen, in terms of it not damaging functionality. Probably depends on how deep the scratch is but it may not be impossible. Bummer it disrupts the 3D effect. I'd trade with you if I could since I can't see 3D :cry:

Any ddwrt supported router will work.

Now if only there is a program or script to cycle Mac addresses in ddwrt interface.

Any ddwrt supported router will work. Now if only there is a program or script to cycle Mac addresses in ddwrt interface.
There are, but I could never get them to work on the mini build I'm running. From what I've seen, they also are the reason you might hit the same person 6 times in a row if you go sequentially through the MAC list.

I just overheard a Target employee telling a mom that the 3DS only played 3DS games, and that it couldn't play DS games. She then told the mom that the 2DS only played 2DS games, but that they didn't carry 2DS games at their store. Needless to say, I intervened and corrected her and thoroughly explained the merits of all three systems. The Target employee simply said that appeared that all of her training seemed to be wrong...

Did they ever release the Circle Pad Pro XL in the U.S.?
What the other above poser said... It seems to be OOS at the Nintendo Store website. You can call Nintendo and see if it's just temporarily oos or discontinued, I picked one up when it was first available, so you can call them to see what the status is.

Your other choice is eBay or importing from Japan, which ever is cheaper for you.

I just overheard a Target employee telling a mom that the 3DS only played 3DS games, and that it couldn't play DS games. She then told the mom that the 2DS only played 2DS games, but that they didn't carry 2DS games at their store. Needless to say, I intervened and corrected her and thoroughly explained the merits of all three systems. The Target employee simply said that appeared that all of her training seemed to be wrong...
lol..... I think a lot of us have encountered this somewhere and some point in time, I usually hold back though.

Yea, I have NO QUALMS whatsoever about calling out their sales bullshit.. especially when it's grossly inaccurate.    I make allowances for Oh it's Wal-mart or Oh it's Target but when Best Buy cronies give me bad electronics info or ToysRUs idiots give me bad info.. I basically lay into them.

I was finally able to get HomePass set up at my house and it's freakin' fantastic.  I really wish I could get these passes the old-fashioned way, but while I'm stuck up here in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, this will have to do.

I had a co-worker tout the ol' Wii U is a tablet add-on to the Wii line once. Somehow he was getting 3-4 shifts a week in electronics and I got about 1 a month. Target doesn't care about putting people in electronic who actually know anything about electronics, only if they have high accessory attachment numbers and target credit card signups.

It's a method in which you convert a off-the-shelf wireless router into a NintendoZone hotspot so that you can get streetpasses in your home automatically.
Or a wireless dongle.

Or an Android phone.

Or the wireless card in some laptops.

There are multiple methods, but the router one is the easiest for most.

So I want to finally sync my Wii U Nintendo ID with my 3DS and it seems I can't use an apostrophe on the 3DS.  This means I can't enter my Wii U Nintendo ID on my 3DS.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Am I just blind and missing it?

So I want to finally sync my Wii U Nintendo ID with my 3DS and it seems I can't use an apostrophe on the 3DS. This means I can't enter my Wii U Nintendo ID on my 3DS. Has anyone else encountered this? Am I just blind and missing it?
The apostrophe is there. In the symbols, it should be right next to the quotation marks. It looks like a small, straight line.

The apostrophe is there. In the symbols, it should be right next to the quotation marks. It looks like a small, straight line.
Sorry I should have been more specific. When I go thru the "Link an Existing ID" option and get to the part where I enter the existing ID, I'm not allowed to click on the "symbols" option. The only one that is allowed is the "ABC" option and the only symbols highlighted for use within that are the "." & "-". I'm also going to need to use an "_" (underscore).

Sorry I should have been more specific. When I go thru the "Link an Existing ID" option and get to the part where I enter the existing ID, I'm not allowed to click on the "symbols" option. The only one that is allowed is the "ABC" option and the only symbols highlighted for use within that are the "." & "-". I'm also going to need to use an "_" (underscore).
Oh okay. I already have my ID linked. I just pulled out the 3DS real quick to check for the apostrophe. I can open the symbols when putting in my password and that's where it was. Seems a little goofy if you can't get to it while setting up your ID. Sorry, not sure how to help with that.

For some reason, Streetpasses hasn't been working for me since last Sunday. I went to Home Depot and got 13 passes. I've been to three Starbucks and a McDonakds since then and gotten no more. I dont know what the deal is. Any advice?

I went to home depot a couple days ago and got a streetpass, so it must be working. However it was just one. I think I am not getting SP's from Home Depot just because its not a location where its common for someone to bring a 3DS to.  The other locations in my city have plenty of passes on the relays.

Just picked up a 3ds XL with pokemon. Looking forward to blow off all my work just to catch em all. :drool:

I originally wanted the phat model (looks better) but figured it was better to pick up the new model due to improved revisions (screen, buttons, no glare and etc).

How's the battery on the XL? I want to purchase the extended battery but it's $100. :cry:

Just picked up a 3ds XL with pokemon. Looking forward to blow off all my work just to catch em all. :drool:

I originally wanted the phat model (looks better) but figured it was better to pick up the new model due to improved revisions (screen, buttons, no glare and etc).

How's the battery on the XL? I want to purchase the extended battery but it's $100. :cry:
Battery is great for me, but I play on 3 or 4 brightness and power save and have 3d on occasionally. I was thinking about getting that $100 battery as well, but I have never really needed it and nothing a car charger wouldn't solve. Although I will get it eventually when this battery doesn't hold a good charge. I've had mine for about a year ar charged it about 100 times and still works fantastic.

Battery isn't really an issue for me and I leave mine on all the time in sleep mode.  I mean, I charge it every couple of days and probably only play for an hour or so each day but it's not a big deal.

Battery is a non-issue if you just play with it plugged in like I do, if you are going to play for a long time. If you are playing Pokemon, you will be playing for a long time at once. When you plug it in you can't even feel the charging cord at all, you won't even know its there.

The only issue for me would be at conventions, but since I go to 1-2 cons a year and all of them have had ample outlets and power strips around for device charging, so this is not an issue.  If you are in a building, bring your charger, you will be able to find an outlet to plug it in.

just get the ps vita portable charger.....its $20 and works great with USB devices....you can get yourself a usb charging cable for your 3ds xl off of ebay for dirt cheap

I transferred my niece's games from her dsi to her 3DS a year ago.  The pre-installed games wouldn't go and I complained about it and someone told me to delete the games and redownload them from the shop and that it would work then.  That didn't work.  I still can't transfer them.

edit:

Anyone know if I format the DSi and remove the shop account if the pre-installed games can be redownloaded?

Yoshi's New Island 3DS XL bundle coming in March:

1.jpg

bread's done
Back