Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='doodofdoods']We'll find out soon enough, but I really don't see how Nintendo would launch in Japan this year but skip out on launching before america's holiday shopping season. Doesn't seem likely, and it doesn't follow the track record they established with the Wii and DS.[/QUOTE]

Launching 3DS this holiday season would give Nintendo a nice boost, I would think. Definitely, 360 and PS3 are going to be tops otherwise. Interest in the Wii is just down significantly. The only Wii game I see myself getting sometime in the future is Epic Mickey. I hardly know what else is coming out.

I'd pay $500 if the hardware was awesome, but anyway I seriously doubt it'll be over $200. Especially not when all the specs we're hearing about are low end.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Launching 3DS this holiday season would give Nintendo a nice boost, I would think. Definitely, 360 and PS3 are going to be tops otherwise. Interest in the Wii is just down significantly. The only Wii game I see myself getting sometime in the future is Epic Mickey. I hardly know what else is coming out.[/QUOTE]

I think DKC is going to be a home run this holiday. Remember what it did for the SNES?

[quote name='willardhaven']I think DKC is going to be a home run this holiday. Remember what it did for the SNES?[/QUOTE]

I've heard it's supposed to be really hard though. And the original wasn't that good-it was a big deal because the graphics were really amazing for the time. This PROBABLY can't have that same type of impact, although if it's 2D maybe it somewhat could since there's so few 2D games-hardly any on (now ancient) current gen hardware, so Wii stuff can actually look impressive in that regard.

I don't know, I'm hoping for the best from it, but not encouraged by reports that it's hard.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've heard it's supposed to be really hard though. And the original wasn't that good-it was a big deal because the graphics were really amazing for the time. This PROBABLY can't have that same type of impact, although if it's 2D maybe it somewhat could since there's so few 2D games-hardly any on (now ancient) current gen hardware, so Wii stuff can actually look impressive in that regard.

I don't know, I'm hoping for the best from it, but not encouraged by reports that it's hard.[/QUOTE]

Sales-wise I agree with you but I'm happy it's hard. I can breeze through the original games now and they were challenging for me as a kid. It wasn't just the graphics that made those games sell though, they were really good. I think if people associate DKC Returns with NSMB Wii we'll see huge numbers. I don't think it's a guarantee but either way I'm going to be playing one game this holiday.

If the 3DS launches that early I guess I'll be playing a few games this holiday. The PS3 and 360 just don't have anything that interests me this year. I'm eager to try Ratchet and Clank All 4 One and Bioshock Infinite but this year kind of blows.

[quote name='pete5883']I did a little googling, and you're right. Xbox 360 launched for $300 and €300, DS Lite launched for $170 and €170, and the Wii launched at $250 and €250. This is good news.[/QUOTE]
Okay, see that's what I was thinking. I remember Europe always seems to be the unwanted stepchild for video games, where everything costs more when the exchange rate is factored in. I think a €200 launch price would mean it would be $200 USD, not $250+.

I honestly see $200 at launch. Unless they have developed a game that showcases the 3DS's abilities similar to how Wii Sports showed the Wii's abilities off, they wouldn't price it at $250. I doubt we'd see something like a Kid Icarus pack-in, because that would destroy sales of the pack-in game by itself.

I'd love it to be $200 at launch. That said, I could probably see them launching it at $250 with a pricecut once initial sales drop. The only way I really see a $250 launch price is if they launch it before the holidays, to cash in, and then drop the price after the season.

I dunno. I'm just speculating like everyone else is, but I don't think Nintendo is stupid.

I'd guess that $200 will be the price point, if only due to the recent price cuts to the DSi and DSiXL. At $250, there would have been quite a gap between the old prices of these products and the 3DS; no real need to drop the prices. At $200, the old prices-3DS gap would have been much more narrow.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] And the original wasn't that good-it was a big deal because the graphics were really amazing for the time.[/QUOTE]

BITE YOUR DAMN TONGUE!!! DKC is AWESOME ARGH!!!!

So is it going to be backward compatible with the DS games? I mean can I sell my DS lite now and then bank that little bit of money for a future purchase?

I dont think I want this now, but I also know better.

Yeah, apparently compatible with the DS, but not the GBA unfortunately.

The screen's like 0.7" smaller than the XL's screen though, and we don't know for sure how it'll look when "3D" is shut off.

Just about to start.

169590184.jpg

$250 is a lot of money, but one has to admit that this thing looks pretty amazing. Still, I may have to try to resist and wait for an eventual price drop. $200 would have been so much easier to deal with. Sigh.

I hope they put up more actual new releases and not old games brought back. I know the demo vid showed the older games cuz those were easier put onto the 3DS to show off some of its library. I just want them to show newer stuff later as it heads toward the release date.

I've got to say I'm really surprised, although I don't know that it's a terrible move. They probably could have priced the Wii $50-100 more for the first 6-12 months, and so maybe they're basing it off that. Or maybe that screen is really expensive.

But this gives me even less incentive to buy one (particularly depending on if I can stand the "3D"). They're charging I guess $70 more than a PSP, for something with a significantly smaller screen, and at least from what we've been told so far, slightly lower end hardware.

One thing about this thing though is I bet now the PSP, PS2, Wii, and 3DS can all get targeted together for development, while Windows, OS X, PS3, and Xbox all get targeted together.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont know how they figure PSP pricing is a good idea. Way too expensive.[/QUOTE]

It isnt even a PSP price, the PSP launched at $250. The iPod Touch is currently $229.

I love Nintendo handhelds (bought a PSP and returned it in a week*), but this is a tough sell. The one plus is the implied DSiWare transfers.

* I really disliked the load times for the PSP. Pickup and play is the point of handheld, I gnash my teeth at the logo screens on the DS not being faster to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfpup']But this gives me even less incentive to buy one (particularly depending on if I can stand the "3D"). They're charging I guess $70 more than a PSP, for something with a significantly smaller screen, and at least from what we've been told so far, slightly lower end hardware.[/QUOTE]

What really matters in the end is the software. Hurray for the PSP and all it's techie goodness, but it's got jack in its library compared to the number of golden games the DS has. And certainly, the PSP library is a mote in the wind to the DS library.

[quote name='foltzie']I love Nintendo handhelds (bought a PSP and returned it in a week*), but this is a tough sell. The one plus is the implied DSiWare transfers.[/QUOTE]

The ability to transfer my DSiWare means I can transfer my games to my 3DS, then sell my DSi for $100 or so, making back some of the money I would have just spent on the 3DS and games.

[quote name='utopianmachine']What really matters in the end is the software. Hurray for the PSP and all it's techie goodness, but it's got jack in its library compared to the number of golden games the DS has. And certainly, the PSP library is a mote in the wind to the DS library.[/QUOTE]

The PSP is no slouch, selling 60 million units, granted the DS has sold 130. But the PSP has given Nintendo a run for its money, and presumably given them some competition that benefits us all. I say this as someone who REALLY dislikes UMD based games.

I agree that the DS has a better library, but if you like what the PSP offers (PS2ish quality games), it does well.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
The ability to transfer my DSiWare means I can transfer my games to my 3DS, then sell my DSi for $100 or so, making back some of the money I would have just spent on the 3DS and games.[/QUOTE]

True, if the DSiWare piece is confirmed, but trading up still means the console costs $250. Even the craziest Gamestop promo is only going to knock $100 off that for a DSi trade in.

[quote name='foltzie']True, if the DSiWare piece is confirmed, but trading up still means the console costs $250. Even the craziest Gamestop promo is only going to knock $100 off that for a DSi trade in.[/QUOTE]

That's all I think we'll really be able to hope for is $100. Everyone is going to be selling their old systems for the 3DS around that time.

Wow... I honestly never expected a Nintendo handheld to go beyond $200. I was pretty excited about it but I don't know if I'd pay that much for it. Well, I probably will depending on the software. I wonder how much games will cost though...

Well, that pretty much turned me off on the 3DS pricing if they're going for the same price as a Xbox 360 Slim 250GB, a PS3 Slim 120GB or a Wii with two $50 games. Even $250 would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Good idea Nintendo, though I think my DSi XL will do fine for a while yet.

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, that pretty much turned me off on the 3DS pricing if they're going for the same price as a Xbox 360 Slim 250GB, a PS3 Slim 120GB or a Wii with two $50 games. Even $250 would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Good idea Nintendo, though I think my DSi XL will do fine for a while yet.[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows the price in the US - it wasn't announced. I hope they make an announcement about it soon, but I suppose it's more likely to be announced closer to the release. Rumors are it will be $250, but who knows?

[quote name='utopianmachine']What really matters in the end is the software. Hurray for the PSP and all it's techie goodness, but it's got jack in its library compared to the number of golden games the DS has. [/quote]

Entirely personal opinion, and I completely disagree. For that matter, every single game on my DS I'm left buying it DESPITE it being on the DS rather than because.

The ability to transfer my DSiWare means I can transfer my games to my 3DS

Unless they've announced something, Nintendo has no method of transfering content between systems.

Where are these magical awesome games that run on the ipod touch? I'll admit some are fun for a quick diversion but the bigger games get annoying because they lack real controls. I'm still wondering why everyone got so excited over the unreal engine 3 demo on the iphone since it looks nice but playing a 1st person shooter on that thing doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I could see it working for RTS and Role-Playing games but I don't get all the hype over that damn thing and I own one.

I'll be getting a 3DS day one. Price is high but early adopters always get the bag of hurt. Luckily DSiWare transfers so I'll be able to dump the waste that my DSi is (DS Lite for life!) to recoup some $$$. People who are saying the graphics suck apparently never played the original Gameboy or better yet old school Tiger handhelds. I think Mega Man Legends 3 for the 3DS is a good sign that software support will be great and in the end that is what matters...PSP says hello. I own that too but I think the PSP2 really needs to bring it to get me to bite on 2 handhelds again this gen. Makes me wonder if they will go the phone route...really curious what Sony will show. Ports now new stuff later...but I'll be damned if I don't want Starfox 64 3D like yesterday.

I think at this point Nintendo has a good track record with handhelds for build quality, good battery life, and great software support and that is enough for me.

I don't get it either. I've got some free games on it, and a handful of cheap pay ones, but touch controls just don't work 99.9% of the time for a primary interface. I'd rather play most games on an original Game Boy.

I'm going to wait for a deal on 150.00 will happen with in 6 months of release i think even 250.00 is way to much id rather get xbox360 again. I got my crimson lite for $60.00 on craigslist in pretty mint condition over a year ago.

I can't believe that Nintendo is putting out a handheld that is more expensive than their console. If the price sticks in the US, there is no way I'm getting one.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd be 100% fine with a $500 handheld if the specs were there and no "3D".[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what are you looking for specs wise? These games seem to be a step up from the PSP and obviously not as good as a 360. Overall though they seem pretty impressive for a handheld. I think it's a little early to see what they can truly squeeze from the system but Resident Evil (probably one of the best looking games) looks pretty sweet already. I'm really all for them not maxing out specs if it means better battery life because that is one of my gripes with the PSP.Your statement makes me wonder though...what will the PSP2 bring to the table? Maybe something similar to what you are wanting.

I wonder how much the game will cost. I am guessing at least $39.99, but they could also be as much as $49.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']If you find a legit, in store deal on this for 150.00, 6 months after it comes out, I will eat my hat and record it for YouTube.[/QUOTE]

I think that poster was referring to getting it through Craigslist or eBay.

[quote name='62t']I wonder how much the game will cost. I am guess at least $39.99, but they could also be as much as $49.99[/QUOTE]

Interesting question. I would imagine $39.99.

[quote name='jkam']Just curious, what are you looking for specs wise? These games seem to be a step up from the PSP and obviously not as good as a 360. [/quote]

I'm guess it probably is a bit better than the PSP, but from what we know so far it's a bit worse. Dual core MIPS R4000s clocked 25% faster than dual core ARM 11s. Ditto for the GPU. Fill rate in line with being the same as the PSP except for clock speed (so 25% less and having to fill a larger area because it's having to render two frames). Basically the same amount of RAM (although PSP games probably can't take full advantage of half of it since the original model had half). Lower resolution and smaller screen too.

I'm always up for better hardware, so it's just kind disappointing for me that six years later we got something that so far looks not quite as good as a PSP...only six years late.

And yeah...if the PSP2 went the same route as the original, it might be as or more powerful than the current gen systems, which would obviously rock.

I kind of doubt it will though, if there is one. The PSP in order to be as crazy powerful as it was for 2004/2005 had to use almost entirely custom hardware. I doubt Sony's going to do that again. Although on paper at least a Tegra 2 based system would be possible, and absolutely be more powerful (although not as powerful as what the PSP was), so that's a possibility...except probably not because people seem obsessed with battery life and size.

To me, the DS XL and original DS and PSP-1000 are all perfectly portable, yet there's people acting like they're HUUUUUUUUUUUGE or whatever, so...

[quote name='utopianmachine']Interesting question. I would imagine $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Regarding that...good question. I think I read that supposedly games could be as large as 1.5GB? If so, that's a LOT of ROM, and...I have no idea what that does for pricing in 2010. No idea how much 64MB or whatever costs on DS games.

Wow, that's a bitter pill to swallow. Still, depending on launch lineup, I'm prolly in. They put Zelda a launch item, and they've got my money, no questions asked. Sigh, I'm such an OOT fanboy :D

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, that pretty much turned me off on the 3DS pricing if they're going for the same price as a Xbox 360 Slim 250GB, a PS3 Slim 120GB or a Wii with two $50 games. Even $250 would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Good idea Nintendo, though I think my DSi XL will do fine for a while yet.[/QUOTE]

I was kinda agog at the pricing until people reminded me that the PSP launched for $250 in 2005.

Don't get me wrong, I won't buy a 3DS for $300, or likely even $250. Once the pricepoint hits $199 I'll be knockin' over grammas and little children to get to the front of the line, however.

bread's done
Back