Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I doubt it...I think it is like an optical illusion, how you have to work at it.

Anyway I WISH everything that hits the 3DS would also hit the PSP and/or Wii...like I wish Pilotwings was hitting the Wii...

Oh well...if I'm lucky, it'll have a shorter life than the DS, and I'll be back to being a Nintendo handheld owner sooner rather than later (not that my DS is going anywhere, but I don't know that Nintendo's done much with it recently)

Turning the 3D slider off definitely removes any 3D effect. I'm not sure what you were seeing in that case, but it very clearly removed any parallax/dual images.

Did you adjust the slider to find the sweet spot for the 3D, or did you just have it maxed out? My eyes were going to be tired if I had it all the way up, but I could hardly see any 3D at that setting anyway. Right around 40% for me, there was kind of a visual "click" and the 3D was just there.

I'm not sure how it will be after staring at the screen for hours (so I'm thinking RPGs might be a 2D only affair) but it's a neat gimmick.

Im still not going to cancel it. Just as Botticus said, you just have to adjust the slider to correct level for your eyes to adjust and seeing 3D is something new for our eyes. The muscles in our eyes are working overtime to try to adjust to a new field of vision. I think normal play of the device, your eyes will eventually get used to it.

who knows how much will be in stock in the near future after knowing the success of pulling the supply and demand route a la The Wii. So with that said, why cancel when you can flip it and get much much more for it.

It's been said that the 3D effect is different from game to game. I found my sweet spot for Pilotwings to be just above 0 and I have glasses. I shouldn't try to push the issue next time. I never had double vision though, just pain.

[quote name='botticus']
Did you adjust the slider to find the sweet spot for the 3D, or did you just have it maxed out? My eyes were going to be tired if I had it all the way up, but I could hardly see any 3D at that setting anyway. Right around 40% for me, there was kind of a visual "click" and the 3D was just there.

I'm not sure how it will be after staring at the screen for hours (so I'm thinking RPGs might be a 2D only affair) but it's a neat gimmick.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the sweet spot for me was at 50% or so for Pilotwings. I tried playing the game with the 3D slider all the way up, but I found it too difficult to focus between the background and foreground objects.

[quote name='botticus']Turning the 3D slider off definitely removes any 3D effect. I'm not sure what you were seeing in that case, but it very clearly removed any parallax/dual images.[/quote]

Perhaps, but the screen isn't normal when slid to the bottom-there's still something unpleasant and off about it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Im still not going to cancel it. Just as Botticus said, you just have to adjust the slider to correct level for your eyes to adjust and seeing 3D is something new for our eyes. The muscles in our eyes are working overtime to try to adjust to a new field of vision. I think normal play of the device, your eyes will eventually get used to it.[/quote]

That actually sounds like a very bad thing. Plus of course our eyes are already quite good at seeing 3D...real 3D.

[quote name='integralsmatic']who knows how much will be in stock in the near future after knowing the success of pulling the supply and demand route a la The Wii. So with that said, why cancel when you can flip it and get much much more for it.[/QUOTE]

I flipped a few Wiis at launch. One thing that is very different is that you can still preorder the 3DS now from Amazon, Gamestop, etc. Wii preorders were exhausted very quickly.

The problems in Japan might influence 3DS supply, but I think it is much more of a gamble than something like the Wii or PS3. I had several 3DSs preordered and I cancelled them all

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I can't believe it's only 3 days away. I remember like it first being announced and it was a long while ago.[/QUOTE]

I knoooow! I'm so excited!

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Does anyone know if I would be able to take the kmart ad in and get gamestop to pricematch the $25 off a game with purchase?

[quote name='gftgrill']Does anyone know if I would be able to take the kmart ad in and get gamestop to pricematch the $25 off a game with purchase?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Gamestop does that, though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='gftgrill']Does anyone know if I would be able to take the kmart ad in and get gamestop to pricematch the $25 off a game with purchase?[/QUOTE]

Not a chance, gamestop doesn't price match and pretty much never has a sale on a new release item of any kind.

[quote name='Wolfpup']My 3DS impressions playing PilotWings:
-first off, if you're undecided in a color, forget blue. It's UGLY. Crazy ugly. I know it's intriguing in pictures-it doesn't look like that in real life. Just get black.

-The controls-the analog stick is pretty great. The PSP one gets the job done, but this it feels easier to push it just part way, and feels better to use too. It's the best analog stick yet on a portable (err...well, of two). The rest of the controls-d-pad and buttons-are quite a bit better on the PSP though, but the stick feels like a real achievement.

-Graphics, as expected, looked like a decent PSP game, except of course with a Nintendo vibe.

Okay...now...the screen....

What surprised me was whereas with say Avatar, the effect (such as it is) just works...you're not going to miss it. What was really weird with this is I actually had to WORK at making it look right...sort of like one of those optical illusions, where you don't see what it's supposed to be at first, and then you sort of do. This was like that every time I went back to it, and sometimes it would just sort of lose it again. I think that alone will make it terrible for long term use. Until you “see” it, it's just two blurry screens...like you can look at it and see them independently. I somehow wasn't expecting that, I guess since you don't have to work at it to “see” the illusion with other “3D” I've used.

If you force it, the effect does sort of work...in particular, what someone said about the Pilotwings vehicles/people looking like little toys in front of the background is true...particularly with the rocketpack, it was almost like a little Lego guy, with a game screen behind him. It's gimmicky, but actually interesting to look at. The background wasn't as obvious, though it did make navigation a bit harder because it was harder to judge distances...like...the “3D” effect sort of interferes with the actual 3D of the game engine, making it harder to figure out where and how far you are from something.

So...it's interesting, but I suspect more annoying than useful...better as a novelty to look at through an image viewer or whatever than on a game system..

But then we get to the effects on my eyes (besides having to work at “seeing” something other than two separate screens)-after a few minutes, I did notice one of my eyes was watering and a little weird. It wasn't super bad, and when I walked away my vision was a LITTLE weird, but not 1/4 as bad as with Avatar...

Only I only played it 5 minutes or whatever the first go versus Avatar at 2+ hours...that it did ANYTHING to my vision in that time means I'm pretty sure it'll be bad if you sit there for 2 hours...let alone 5 hours or whatever.

I intentionally left to get my vision back to normal-ish, then came back to try it with “3D” off.

And here's what I was worried about-I had the slider down all the way, and it sort of flicked and came back so I guess it was off, but there was something still “off” about it-something still unnatural and wrong looking about it that was irritating.

So I THINK it's still not right even when “3D” is “off”...which is precisely what I was worried about.

In all honesty, I really really prefer the screens on the PSP and DS XL...they're bigger, and easier on the eyes...there's nothing weird going on, no concentrating to make, the visuals look right :lol:.

So...where does this leave me? I'm not sure. I need to cancel my blue one tonight, since my doubts about which one to get are gone. But...I don't think this screen is for me...even off, it doesn’t seem right.

I think I'm going to cancel...but this is hard for me as I hate giving up the preorder, and, since I've owned every single Nintendo system since except the Virtual Boy. Why didn't I get the Virtual Boy? Well, same exact reason...it did weird things to my eyes. Passing up a new Paper Mario and game from the Mario Galaxy team? That's CRAZY hard for me...but I can't imagine having to use that for hours...so....I'm not quite ready to cancel my black preorder yet, but I rationally speaking I should :whistle2:/

Oh, regarding Pilotwings itself? I would buy it if it were on another system. The control feels good-only complaint is maybe a little TOO good...not quite sim-ish enough. The original had a throttle control-this just had a neutral speed and a boost and brake button, and it felt more like Panzer Dragoon or whatever in terms of flight controls. So maybe worse in being better...if that makes sense. But still, there are so few games like this I'd bite, if it were on a different system. (Wish that Pilotwings-esque PSP game had made it over here! Hasn't been one since that early PS2 game.)[/QUOTE]

It almost sounds like something was wrong with the demo unit you tried, or you have to turn the system completely off before adjusting the slider to off so that it will completely turn the 3D off. I haven't heard of any complaints from users of Japanese systems that the screens are blurry or look bad with the 3D turned off. But I guess we have to wait till more US users get their hands on the unit for themselves.

Regardless if you buy it or not I think its gonna sell like crazy during the holidays as any new Nintendo product does. I don't expect too much demand for it in March after the initial launch but I do expect there to be shortages during the holidays so even if you bought it and didn't like it you could likely flip it for profit if you waited a while as long as you haven't sunk too much money into games you should be able to get your money back at least. But if you are planning to use ebay keep in mind fees are high and they are going to start charging fees on shipping prices starting April 29th.

When I played Best Buy's unit, turning the 3D off definitely worked the way it should be. There was no blurriness or anything involved. It basically looked like a crisper DSi screen.

[quote name='SaraAB']It almost sounds like something was wrong with the demo unit you tried, or you have to turn the system completely off before adjusting the slider to off so that it will completely turn the 3D off. I haven't heard of any complaints from users of Japanese systems that the screens are blurry or look bad with the 3D turned off. But I guess we have to wait till more US users get their hands on the unit for themselves[/QUOTE]

The one I tried was like that too. I mentioned it somewhere (might be this thread) that it looks a little different even with the slider off, with the best way I could describe it as similar to scan lines, but not nearly as bad. Maybe it's something not everyone can see either, since I could see 3D with the slider at any position, and at different angles and distances. BTW I don't have the greatest spatial awareness irl =P

Edit: I guess it's more correct to say I'm bad at judging distances and volumes, more than I'm bad at spatial awareness, since I don't bump into things much.

[quote name='elessar123']The one I tried was like that too. I mentioned it somewhere (might be this thread) that it looks a little different even with the slider off[/quote]

Yeah, and I don't have a great way to describe it. The bottom screen doesn't have that look, but there's still something weird with it "off". The PSP and DS Lite/XL don't have that either, and I prefer all those screens.

[quote name='utopianmachine']http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...20_s-white-knuckles-available-on-the-3ds.aspx

OK Go's "White Knuckles" coming to 3DS.

I'd never heard of the song before. The dogs were awesome. Can't wait to see this in 3D. :D[/QUOTE]

I saw them on a recent tour and they screened the video in 3D during the show. Everyone got a free pair of 3D glasses on the way in. It was pretty awesome.

On a somewhat related note, most of the dogs in the White Knuckles video are rescues. OKGO was selling high-quality downloads of the video on their website and donating the proceeds to no-kill shelters. Hopefully this deal with the 3DS is similarly beneficial.

[quote name='david12795']i was having a lot of trouble adjusting my eyes to the 3d perspective. i could not recognize the 3d of it except that it was blurry in the center until my friend told me to focus harder. my eyes ended up hurting and i got a headache..maybe it just takes time to get used to.[/QUOTE]

Maybe your part of the 5% that can't see 3d. There are some test online you can do to see if you an issue or just need to train your eyes.

@Wolfpup Keep it, Nintendo said today (at least I read it today) there not forcing devs to make games 3D. Going back to my idea to call it the Super DS and make the 3D a feature not the selling point. Also from what I saw playing pilot wings at BB playing in 2D was just fine and I would assume all first party games will be like that.

$25 credit changed my mind, guess I'll keep my 3DS pre-order. I want SSFIV and SMB, but not at $40 a piece, not even at $30 a piece. $20 a piece is more like it. SMB will probably get even cheaper than that, seems like a rush job to me. left out the mini-games, left out online mode, less than 100 puzzle stages, definitely a game that suffered from trying to get to market for launch.

Finally had a chance to go check it out at Best Buy.... I fell in love. I was so worried about there being a lot of bad comments that I started get less excited for it and almost canceled my pre-order. Today...I am much much more excited for it. The 3D looked fun and I loved the stick. But at least for me it's a really good move...I have a dslite, so it's a nice upgrade for me.

Plus it TOTALLY helps that Amazon is rockin' the pre-order bonuses!

Oh, beautiful. $25 plus an existing $10 credit from Pokemon and $10 credit from SFIV means I'll be getting two 3DS games for $35. I'm thinking the second will be Pilotwings since Nintendogs doesn't strike my fancy and the only other game that really interests me, Samurai Warriors, will be cheap soon enough.

[quote name='doodofdoods']SMB will probably get even cheaper than that, seems like a rush job to me. left out the mini-games, left out online mode, less than 100 puzzle stages, definitely a game that suffered from trying to get to market for launch.[/QUOTE]

I feel like a retard, but I can't figure out what game you're talking about. SMB? My mind keeps saying Super Mario Bros., but I know that's not it.

Edit: Oh, Super Monkey Ball. Duh.

[quote name='super_dawn']Finally had a chance to go check it out at Best Buy.... I fell in love. I was so worried about there being a lot of bad comments that I started get less excited for it and almost canceled my pre-order. Today...I am much much more excited for it. The 3D looked fun and I loved the stick. But at least for me it's a really good move...I have a dslite, so it's a nice upgrade for me.

Plus it TOTALLY helps that Amazon is rockin' the pre-order bonuses![/QUOTE]

Yeah, all the negative comments about the 3DS from folks that tried it had me worried too, until I also went to the Best Buy kiosk. It just depends on the person. As the DS is my primary gaming platform, I'm mega-excited for 3DS. For others that just may play their DS only every now and then, the $250 pricetag may be too much.

And yes, the incredible Amazon deals help tremendously. I was very close to canceling my Amazon preorder and picking up a 3DS at K-mart this Sunday, but I'd rather spend $295 on Amazon and get the 3DS and two games. I'm absolutely getting Nintendogs, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the second game.

[quote name='Rocko']Oh, beautiful. $25 plus an existing $10 credit from Pokemon and $10 credit from SFIV means I'll be getting two 3DS games for $35. I'm thinking the second will be Pilotwings since Nintendogs doesn't strike my fancy and the only other game that really interests me, Samurai Warriors, will be cheap soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. While I want to play Bust-a-Move Universe, it seems like too bargain bin a title to waste my Amazon credit on.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I doubt it...I think it is like an optical illusion, how you have to work at it.[/QUOTE] It is an optical illusion, just like those Magic Eye pictures. All it is just something that forces your eyes to cross to generate the 3D view.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Im still not going to cancel it. Just as Botticus said, you just have to adjust the slider to correct level for your eyes to adjust and seeing 3D is something new for our eyes. The muscles in our eyes are working overtime to try to adjust to a new field of vision. I think normal play of the device, your eyes will eventually get used to it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Kfoster1979']Maybe your part of the 5% that can't see 3d. There are some test online you can do to see if you an issue or just need to train your eyes.[/QUOTE]I could only handle the minimum 3D setting personally and there will be no getting used to this. The whole 'getting used to it' marketing tool is counter intuitive to the eye retraining I underwent as a child. Anybody who claims your eyes will adjust means they will degrade to a point where it becomes acceptable or you'll develop control over being able to cross your own eyes.

[quote name='Mad39er']It is an optical illusion, just like those Magic Eye pictures. All it is just something that forces your eyes to cross to generate the 3D view.
[/QUOTE]
The 3DS screen sends different images to each eye, which your brain then formulates into a 3D picture. There's no eye-crossing or blurring of vision necessary.

[quote name='botticus']The 3DS screen sends different images to each eye, which your brain then formulates into a 3D picture. There's no eye-crossing or blurring of vision necessary.[/QUOTE]

Yup. There's nothing to train. You just look at it normally like you would anything in real life.

[quote name='botticus']The 3DS screen sends different images to each eye, which your brain then formulates into a 3D picture. There's no eye-crossing or blurring of vision necessary.[/QUOTE]
You're on crack if you believe that. It splits the images which forces the eyes to refocus and go either in opposite directions or cross to reacquire the image, the same techniques used to retrain a lazy eye.

It'll be interesting to see if those that ordered their 3DS's significantly later from Amazon will still receive them in the first shipment. I wonder how many Amazon has? I'd love to see a pallet of those. :D

[quote name='utopianmachine']It'll be interesting to see if those that ordered their 3DS's significantly later from Amazon will still receive them in the first shipment. I wonder how many Amazon has? I'd love to see a pallet of those. :D[/QUOTE]

Knowing Amazon they got a crapload of them. They would not just still say this item releases on March 27th and not have any warnings that they don't have enough or your 3DS might not arrive on time. Unless they say it at shipping.

[quote name='Mad39er']You're on crack if you believe that. It splits the images which forces the eyes to refocus and go either in opposite directions or cross to reacquire the image, the same techniques used to retrain a lazy eye.[/QUOTE]

Then I must be a crack head.... Using a parallax barrier sends 2 different images to your eye same has a lenticuar print. If your crossing your eyes it's a learned behavior most likely due to eye training.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Then I must be a crack head.... Using a parallax barrier sends 2 different images to your eye same has a lenticuar print. If your crossing your eyes it's a learned behavior most likely due to eye training.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I did find myself using the magic eye "technique", but I assume once I get my hands on a unit I'll be able to play with the slider until i dont have to do anything special.

The 3DS is really impressive as a bit of hardware, as is the NGP. I dont know if any of the bells and whistles mean squat, but will be fun to see what the devs do with the hardware.

[quote name='Mad39er']You're on crack if you believe that. It splits the images which forces the eyes to refocus and go either in opposite directions or cross to reacquire the image, the same techniques used to retrain a lazy eye.[/QUOTE]

so the 3DS is gonna fix my lazy eye! SWEET.

Someone get paris hilton one too.

Can someone do me a favor and sum up what deals are at Amazon?

$25 gaming credit with purchase of a 3DS. Can I use the credit towards anything?? What are the limitations, and when does it expire?

What other promotions are they having?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Can someone do me a favor and sum up what deals are at Amazon?

$25 gaming credit with purchase of a 3DS. What else???[/QUOTE]

Some games have a $10 credit, check the deals thread as it changes seemingly daily.

Nintendo said they will be doing something very special for Zelda's 25th anniversary (which is this year). Do you think a Zelda branded 3DS is a possibility? If so... I want to wait.

Zelda is coming out in June (rumor)... but $25 off of a game is not bad at all.... tempteddd.....

[quote name='utopianmachine']I know what you mean. While I want to play Bust-a-Move Universe, it seems like too bargain bin a title to waste my Amazon credit on.[/QUOTE]

I really want that game too. But I remember Bust A Move Bash that sucked and went to bargain bin quickly.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Can someone do me a favor and sum up what deals are at Amazon?

$25 gaming credit with purchase of a 3DS. Can I use the credit towards anything?? What are the limitations, and when does it expire?

What other promotions are they having?[/QUOTE]

There's a deal thread for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_barrier

Parallax_Barrier.jpg

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20110228/189942/

[quote name='Mad39er']It is an optical illusion, just like those Magic Eye pictures. All it is just something that forces your eyes to cross to generate the 3D view.

I could only handle the minimum 3D setting personally and there will be no getting used to this. The whole 'getting used to it' marketing tool is counter intuitive to the eye retraining I underwent as a child. Anybody who claims your eyes will adjust means they will degrade to a point where it becomes acceptable or you'll develop control over being able to cross your own eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's well said-I couldn't figure out how to say it other than the idea that you'd "train" your eyes sounded like a TERRIBLE idea.

[quote name='dallow']Yup. There's nothing to train. You just look at it normally like you would anything in real life.[/QUOTE]

This...yeah, you do NOT look at this normally like you do at things in real life. If you do, it just looks like two separate images blurred together. It's a lot worse than film "3D" in that regard since that you can't miss and don't have to work at to see. When I think of it like that, I'm realizing this is probably even worse for you than film "3D" is...even before you get to the part where you play it 6 hours in a row versus 2.

Anyone know if any stores are selling 3DS accessories yet? Looking to maybe get a case tonight if possible because I will be bringing it places with the pedometer and all.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, that's well said-I couldn't figure out how to say it other than the idea that you'd "train" your eyes sounded like a TERRIBLE idea.

This...yeah, you do NOT look at this normally like you do at things in real life. If you do, it just looks like two separate images blurred together. It's a lot worse than film "3D" in that regard since that you can't miss and don't have to work at to see. When I think of it like that, I'm realizing this is probably even worse for you than film "3D" is...even before you get to the part where you play it 6 hours in a row versus 2.[/QUOTE]

I disagree (granted I am not a Dr) Film 3d or any 3d with glasses just blocks one of the images. With passave 3D your using polarized glasses that keeps you eyes from seeing both images at the same time. Active 3d use the glasses that "flash" two different images into you eye, but with both it's your brain that's putting it all back together. In essence it's an optical illusion becuse you know blue cats aren't jumping off the screen it's tricking you brain to think so. The difference here is the parallax barrier acts as the filter not glasses.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I disagree (granted I am not a Dr) Film 3d or any 3d with glasses just blocks one of the images. With passave 3D your using polarized glasses that keeps you eyes from seeing both images at the same time. Active 3d use the glasses that "flash" two different images into you eye, but with both it's your brain that's putting it all back together. In essence it's an optical illusion becuse you know blue cats aren't jumping off the screen it's tricking you brain to think so. The difference here is the parallax barrier acts as the filter not glasses.[/QUOTE]

But that's a big difference, because you DO see both images. I mean I came up to the thing, and before even stepping up to it I could see too images, and continued to until working at it. (And sometimes lost it, and still saw two when going back up to it a few times.)

Versus like in a theater you CAN'T see both images with the glasses on. Even still, what Avatar did to my eyes is one of the least pleasant things I've ever experienced.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Anyone know if any stores are selling 3DS accessories yet? Looking to maybe get a case tonight if possible because I will be bringing it places with the pedometer and all.[/QUOTE]

I was in a Gamestop and a Target yesterday and didn't see anything on the shelves.

[quote name='Wolfpup']But that's a big difference, because you DO see both images. I mean I came up to the thing, and before even stepping up to it I could see too images, and continued to until working at it. (And sometimes lost it, and still saw two when going back up to it a few times.)

Versus like in a theater you CAN'T see both images with the glasses on. Even still, what Avatar did to my eyes is one of the least pleasant things I've ever experienced.[/QUOTE]

With the 3DS, once you find "the Sweet Spot", you're not supposed to see two images. You're supposed to see a single image that your brain is creating from the image each eye sees. From any angle but the spot, you're going to be seeing two images.

As for why it makes your eyes tired, it's supposedly an issue of eye Focus vs eye Convergence. For the 3D stuff to work, we need to focus on the plane of the screen, but our eyes need to converge on the illusion. Typically, our eyes try to converge and focus on the same point. Making them operate off two different points causes the eyes/brain to work harder to figure the image out, hence the fatigue.

I personally am hoping that down the line, they release a 3Dless version of the 3DS. I know it sounds stupid but as a parent I won't buy this for my children (6 & 8) even with the slider. It would be impossible for me to constantly monitor their DS time to ensure that they leave the 3D off. While they are good kids, I know they would be tempted...hell I would be tempted myself. I don't think enough is known yet about the potential effect this could have on our eyes so can't risk it plain and simple. I've gotta take a better safe than sorry approach on this one until more research is available and I personally have more time to read it.

bread's done
Back