Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='BlueSwim']I agree. In nice weather I walk about a mile or so a day. Racking up the daily allotment of 10 game coins under those conditions is no sweat, LITERALLY! Nintendo should raise the daily amount to a more reasonable 25 coins.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='dallow']Nintendo should change it to 500 steps a coin.[/QUOTE]

I also agree.

Altough, baby steps for the reclusive among us...

For anyone curious, under 5000 steps in a day is considered sedentary.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wifi on on both?[/QUOTE]

yeah, we tried everything. I street passed someone at target later that night, so it might just be something to do with where we were?

Anyone capture any StreetPass tags out "in the wild" yet? I work retail and I've been to a different mall every day this week. My 3DS has been in my messenger bag every day and I haven't snagged a single tag.

Admittedly, my stores are in the 'burbs but...it's the mall! Where are all of my fellow early adopters? ;)

[quote name='dallow']Nintendo should change it to 500 steps a coin.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking exactly this today. I max out my 10 coins-per-day by 10am or so.

[quote name='bmachine']Anyone capture any StreetPass tags out "in the wild" yet? I work retail and I've been to a different mall every day this week. My 3DS has been in my messenger bag every day and I haven't snagged a single tag. [/QUOTE]

I actually captured one at work from a new guy I hadn't met before. Just confirmed today after the third day that it was him, so at least I have someone that will help me get more puzzle pieces and find my Mii (in addition to spending my coins).

I also tried stopping by a few Gamestops, Best Buys and Frys, but no luck.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Well I have gotten the black screen of death 3 times tonight playing Ghost Recon. It fucking annoying where is the patch Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

Try reformatting the SD card. Better yet get a different one and reformat it to FAT32 using a computer, copy over any save game data, and try it again.

Other option is to disable wifi for the time being.

Give them a shot.

I went to get Ridge Racer and Rayman with the gift cards I got sunday but Best Buy wouldn't match TRU. They did before but wouldn't do it this time. Oh well.

I see DCMYIO rears their horrible head and revenge upon me in this late hour, forcing UPS to deliver my games to a city that is not anywhere near mine. The outrage grows and will not soon leave my mind, dancing upon every synaptic charge until glorious retribution is had.

I ended up putting the top screen protector on my 3DS afterall. I can't even hardly tell, it definitely doesn't affect the 3D at all.

I had noticed there was a faint line appearing on the top screen that matched up with the ridge on the bottom screen. Luckily the line was only grease or something and rubbed right off but if I was to get dust or debris trapped in there it could end up scratching the top screen.

[quote name='bmachine']Anyone capture any StreetPass tags out "in the wild" yet? I work retail and I've been to a different mall every day this week. My 3DS has been in my messenger bag every day and I haven't snagged a single tag.

Admittedly, my stores are in the 'burbs but...it's the mall! Where are all of my fellow early adopters? ;)
[/QUOTE]
I got one this afternoon walking back to work from lunch, but I think it was the 3DS demo kiosk in BestBuy (stopped in there for a few minutes on the way back) :rofl:

The "last game" the Mii was playing was the Pilotwings demo...

It's late at night and I'm drawing caricatures of Shipwreck with a fine point Sharpie and the fumes are making my already vibrating head spin madly around, which is only fueling my laughter as I draw his giant head.

That's what this thread is for, right? I've lost the ability to accurately read.

[quote name='utopianmachine']DealExtreme has black and blue styli for the 3DS, for those want to order extras. I think I will. Only $1.30.

Black: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/alumin...lus-for-nintendo-3ds-black-2-piece-pack-56688

Blue: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/alumin...ylus-for-nintendo-3ds-blue-2-piece-pack-56687

Red: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aluminum-extendable-stylus-for-nintendo-3ds-red-2-pack-70133

4-pack: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aluminum-extendable-stylus-for-nintendo-3ds-4-piece-pack-58558[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot about this awesome site. I think I'll grab 2 black ones. I can foresee my huge hands breaking that little stick by accident. I best be prepared.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']It's late at night and I'm drawing caricatures of Shipwreck with a fine point Sharpie and the fumes are making my already vibrating head spin madly around, which is only fueling my laughter as I draw his giant head.

That's what this thread is for, right? I've lost the ability to accurately read.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, you really shouldn't be using a sharpie in place of the stylus to create caricatures on your 3D photos of Shipwreck. You really should know better than that. I hear you can get the 3DS at Fred Meyer here in the NW for just $220 tomorrow. You want me to pick you up a replacement? ;)

[quote name='Strell']I don't trust the most reproductive third of the DCMYIO.[/QUOTE]

Fine, then. I'll go back to playing Dragon Age Origins. No new 3DS for you. I'll save it to pay for one of my many children's college fund. It will be worth several grand if I keep it sealed for 10 years, right?

[quote name='prettycrazy']I completely forgot about this awesome site. I think I'll grab 2 black ones. I can foresee my huge hands breaking that little stick by accident. I best be prepared.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. I ordered a pack of 2 black ones myself this morning. When I found the styli on DealExtreme yesterday, I realized that unless I'm mistaken, the 3DS didn't come with an additional stylus like previous DS models did.

Guess Nintendo knows you'll lose or break your stylus at some point, and they'd rather you buy theirs. ;)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I ended up putting the top screen protector on my 3DS afterall. I can't even hardly tell, it definitely doesn't affect the 3D at all.

I had noticed there was a faint line appearing on the top screen that matched up with the ridge on the bottom screen. Luckily the line was only grease or something and rubbed right off but if I was to get dust or debris trapped in there it could end up scratching the top screen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am grabbing some protectors for this exact reason as well.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Glad to help. I ordered a pack of 2 black ones myself this morning. When I found the styli on DealExtreme yesterday, I realized that unless I'm mistaken, the 3DS didn't come with an additional stylus like previous DS models did.

Guess Nintendo knows you'll lose or break your stylus at some point, and they'd rather you buy theirs. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, it depends. If you don't buy any extra styluses (styli?) you will lose yours as soon as you buy a precise touch only game. If you get some extras while the system is still new you will never, ever, lose the original.

[quote name='GohanX']Well, it depends. If you don't buy any extra styluses (styli?) you will lose yours as soon as you buy a precise touch only game. If you get some extras while the system is still new you will never, ever, lose the original.[/QUOTE]

True. But $1.30 buys you the peace of mind that should you misplace a stylus (like I did for a few hours one evening), you'll have another ready to go. ;)

[quote name='bmachine']Anyone capture any StreetPass tags out "in the wild" yet? I work retail and I've been to a different mall every day this week. My 3DS has been in my messenger bag every day and I haven't snagged a single tag.[/QUOTE]

Got my first yesterday on the way home from work. Stopped off at an Oasis (basically an overpass over a highway that has gas+food) and got some random dude's Mii. Might stop by the mall this weekend to see if I can get more.

[quote name='utopianmachine']If you catch someone's 3DS while in Streetpass mode, does it let you know when you open the system again?[/QUOTE]

The green light at the top-right of the system comes on and a message appears in the Notifications app to let you know there is a new Mii in your Mii Plaza. Also, when you open the Mii Plaza it goes through an introduction of the new Mii. I imagine that if a game transferred data via StreetPass there would also be a message in the Notifications app to let you know, but I have not gotten any game related data yet.

[quote name='pjarvi']The green light at the top-right of the system comes on and a message appears in the Notifications app to let you know there is a new Mii in your Mii Plaza. Also, when you open the Mii Plaza it goes through an introduction of the new Mii. I imagine that if a game transferred data via StreetPass there would also be a message in the Notifications app to let you know, but I have not gotten any game related data yet.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the info! I'll be out and about a lot this weekend, so I'm hoping to catch a Mii.

[quote name='utopianmachine']DealExtreme has black and blue styli for the 3DS, for those want to order extras. I think I will. Only $1.30.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up. Ordered a 4-pack. Not because I fear I'd lose my original (still have my original DS Lite stylus for years) but because I don't want to cause any potential wear on the stylus insert hole (talk about OCD ;))

Now if someone would make a glow-in-the-dark stylus....that'd be totally rad (or not).

[quote name='foltzie']got my first streetpass hit... Of course it was on my wifes 3ds, so i dont think that really counts.[/quote]

cheater! ;)

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']...because I don't want to cause any potential wear on the stylus insert hole...[/QUOTE]

That's what she said? ;)

If any of you are looking for a good, cheap case for the 3DS, the "Mini-Backpack" case for the DS Lite is on sale at GameStop as part of their current sale for only $5. It fits the 3DS just fine and has a belt loop and a strap on the back of the case that can also be used as a belt loop that isn't as "flip-floppy" as the regular loop.

Got a 3DS for my fiancée. Definitely enjoying it.

I grabbed SF4 3D, Pilot Wings 3D, Ghost Recon 3D, Rayman 3D, Ridge Racer 3D, and Pokemon White for myself, and got my woman Nintendogs+Cats 3D, Bust-A-Move 3D, Sims 3 3D, and Super Monkey Ball 3D, also Brain Age 2. (Kind of a pain to say 3D after everything -_-).

[quote name='BlueSwim']If any of you are looking for a good, cheap case for the 3DS, the "Mini-Backpack" case for the DS Lite is on sale at GameStop as part of their current sale for only $5. It fits the 3DS just fine and has a belt loop and a strap on the back of the case that can also be used as a belt loop that isn't as "flip-floppy" as the regular loop.[/QUOTE]

Nice I grabbed a used hardshell case.. funny thing is it was new with the instructions inside, etc. . It was a radioshack brand, and it appears someone bought a kit for the screen protectors and traded in the case and stylus.

Anyway just to confirm the DSI and 3DS have the same charge port correct? I want to order a USB cable for teh 3DS and well its less if I order one for the DSi, I am fairly certain that is the case from my research, but I never had a DSi.

Grabbing a USB and set of screen protectors this weekend.

[quote name='Snake2715']
Anyway just to confirm the DSI and 3DS have the same charge port correct? I want to order a USB cable for teh 3DS and well its less if I order one for the DSi, I am fairly certain that is the case from my research, but I never had a DSi.[/QUOTE]
Same charger, yes.

Sweet. Getting Pilot Wings from Goozex already. Looking forward to exploring the game some more. It was a bit dull at Best Buy, but it probably does a good job of showing off the 3D even more.

I've came across a total of 6 people on StreetPass so far. I've caught at least one person per day it seems. I guess more people than I thought own 3DS's.

Second time I took my 3DS out w/ StreetPass on and, again, nothing. I'm not really surprised though as it was kind of late.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Sweet. Getting Pilot Wings from Goozex already. Looking forward to exploring the game some more. It was a bit dull at Best Buy, but it probably does a good job of showing off the 3D even more.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you use the other mode (not Mission Mode) to get you accustomed with the different vehicles, it will really improve your game!

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I've came across a total of 6 people on StreetPass so far. I've caught at least one person per day it seems. I guess more people than I thought own 3DS's.[/QUOTE]

I took it to the mall the other day and I didn't get anybody. =/

[quote name='utopianmachine']Sweet. Getting Pilot Wings from Goozex already. Looking forward to exploring the game some more. It was a bit dull at Best Buy, but it probably does a good job of showing off the 3D even more.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost done with the challenges and I wouldn't necessarily call it "dull". It sort of comes in somewhere between "relaxing" and "infuriating". ;)

But, yeah...the 3D effect is nice. Like Ridge Racer, you get the illusion that you're actually descending into the screen.

It's pretty strong in Pilotwings, I have to turn it down.
For some missions, I turn it off to get the max score. Just easier to me.

[quote name='blueweltall']Can someone post pics of their black or blue 3DS? I not sure what color to choose, if I decide to get one.[/QUOTE]
I have both 3DS's, I can take a pic a little later.

My favorite game has been Ghost Recon. The 3D makes it look so awesome, and the gameplay is addicting.

[quote name='blueweltall']Can someone post pics of their black or blue 3DS? I not sure what color to choose, if I decide to get one.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to take a picture of my black 3DS, my brown XL, and my white PSP all side by side, but it'll probably be a while.

I was on the fence before seeing blue in store, and IMO it's really ugly...I guess I sort of got used to it the second time I saw it, but it's worse than pictures, kind of gaudier.

I guess the black one is a bit darker than my brown XL.

Having them side by side, the 3DS' screens really look tiny. The XL is the way to go for DS games!

Controler side by side, the d-pad and buttons felt worse than the XL at first, although maybe they're fine. The XL is worse than the PSP. The analog stick on the 3DS feels better than the PSP's stick though. That stick with the rest of the PSP's pad would be the best you could do (so far).

Haven't really done anything it yet other than set up the date and stuff. Screen does seem like it's going to be a problem, but we'll see.

Back is a single unit, instead of just a cover over the battery compartment, though I presume it can still be saftely removed. I'm going to do that, but not until Monday maybe. Want to see how that goes, and whether the 3DS can operate without a battery. The PSP can, but the GBA-SP, DS, DS Lite, and DSi XL can't, so I presume the 3DS can't either.

Oh, it's already been confirmed, but yeah, the power supply is identical to the DSi/XL power supplies. They don't actually say 3DS or DSi on them anywhere, which I didn't realize until now.

bread's done
Back