Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='dallow']:leafs through 16 page, full color booklet for STEEL DIVER:[/QUOTE]

You play steel diver with your booklet, meanwhile I'll play Zelda: OoT with my foldout.

[quote name='foltzie']Speaking of things we werent... of all the bad TVs getting game treatments, how was there never a Trauma Center-esque version of Scrubs?[/QUOTE]

Let's not give Activision or Ubisoft any ideas.

Link's Awakening's manual is in full color AND 3D. As an added plus, all paper-cut risks have been neutralized. I think we have ourselves a winner.

[quote name='SpeedNut']Maybe they coded the manual in-game like some other 3DS titles? Maybe???[/QUOTE]

Not really, but much like the original version, the first few minutes are nothing but a tutorial. This is true of just about any modern day Zelda game. That said, that didn't stop Crapcom from creating a beautiful manual for SSF IV, which hardly needed it at all.

WTF @ that OoT manual. That's just sad. I always look forward to Nintendo manuals because they tend to be in full color and have nice artwork as well. Hell, I used to occasionally go to my N64 manuals and just read them. What happened to manuals with backstory and info that you often don't even get in the game? *angrily shakes old man cane

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Hey, what are the screen protectors all of you cool cats are using? I'm figuring there's a cheapy set that's good, but I don't want to buy the wrong cheap set.[/QUOTE]

Well I am using Hori screen protector and I am happy with it

I'm using Hori as well, the one that includes one for the top screen that covers the entire top area not just the display area. Got the Japanese version at Play-Asia.

Can someone clarify how to earn the 10 club nintendo coins for Excitebike 3D and the 3D Pokedex? I just downloaded them today so do I need to wait 7 days for the surveys to become available or can I do them now (if so, where do I go)?

I'm just a little confused because the announcement on the club nintendo site says they are eligible within 7 days after downloading (which would I imply I need to do them before 7 days are up). Thanks!

Thanks for the Hori suggestion-- they've always made good products.

Also, I put the circle pad to a good test by putting in Mario 64. It was... weird. It mostly worked, but I found it somewhat difficult to make smooth directions. When I tried to run in a circle, I would often make sudden movements when I would try to run in a circle.

Is this common or should I look into contacting Nintendo about the circle pad?

EDIT: Wait, the circle pad really won't help DS games, will it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't know til noon, though surprised the people on the inside haven't posted yet
Edit: This appears to be today's update
* Nintendo eShop
o Donkey Kong - The Game Boy version of the classic arcade game returns. Donkey Kong has once again kidnapped Pauline. Challenged by many perils, Mario must reach his archrival in order to save our damsel in distress. (For Nintendo 3DS)
* Virtual Console
o Mega Man 5 - Guide Mega Man through 13 action-packed stages and defeat all eight of Protoman's robots. Then get ready for a fight that pits brother against brother in the battle of the century. (For Wii)
* WiiWare
o BIT.TRIP FLUX (demo version) - Get ready for classic paddle-based game play as the acclaimed BIT.TRIP series comes full-circle with BIT.TRIP FLUX, CommanderVideo's final adventure. (For Wii)

Note: Some demo versions do not support all game features, and players cannot save their in-game progress in demo versions.

Also new this week:

* Gold Fever (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
* Zimo: Mahjong Fanatic (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
* Hidden Photo (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
* Beach Party Craze (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
* Snail Mail (WiiWare)
Everyone should get Donkey Kong, its a great game. Also, I like this site, because they post the things people actually give a crap about first.

[quote name='foltzie']Speaking of things we werent... of all the bad TVs getting game treatments, how was there never a Trauma Center-esque version of Scrubs?[/QUOTE]

Did you somehow miss that a good majority of the first Trauma Center on the DS was a tribute to Scrubs?

Names of the Characters in the operation w/ reference:

Operation 1: Kevin Turk – Scrubs character, Dr. Christopher Turk.
Operation 3: Neil Spence – Scrubs actor Neil Flynn who plays The Janitor
Operation 4: Elliot Cox – Scrubs characters, Dr. Elliot Reid and Dr. Perry Cox.
Operation 6: Omar Flynn – Scrubs actor Neil Flynn
Operations 10, 11: Linda Reid – Scrubs character, Dr. Elliot Reid
Operation 12: Elisa Chalke – Scrubs actor, Sarah Chalke (Dr. Elliot Reid)
Operation 13: Jack Reyes – Scrubs actor, Judy Reyes (Nurse Carla Espinosa).
Operation 16: Chi McGinley – Scrubs actor, John C. McGinley (Dr. Perry Cox) .
Operation 27: Eric Dorian – Scrubs character, Dr. John “J.D.” Dorian and Eric Foreman of House

Some of the other operations were tributes to ER and/or House.

I posted this is the Club Nintendo thread, but figured I'd point it out here, too... it took a while, but the Super Mario Land and Zelda DX post-play surveys finally showed up. Expiration date is in October.

Hopefully the delay was just because it was the first week.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Donkey Kong? Meh. I was over that, like, a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

I was quite the fan of the Gameboy version of DK, which was basically a prequel for Mario vs DK.

Yeah, Mario vs Donkey Kong is the sequel to Donkey Kong on the Gameboy. It's a good game, and doesn't have much to do with really Donkey Kong OR Donkey Kong Country.

Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I just cannot go back and get into GameBoy games. I did like it as a kid but never loved it. While I can appreciate a lot of their ideas and concepts I just find them too clunky to replay as an adult.

Donkey Kong 94 will make it the 2nd Nintendo e-shop (Wii or 3DS) purchase in like 2-3 years now for me (Besides Cave Story for Wii). Which is sad when you think about it. Hopefully they bring out the Donkey Kong Land Games as well.

Damn, I really wish I had my 3DS back from repair right about now. I'd love to play Donkey Kong again. Is it sad that I feel like the 3 best games on the system are all gameboy virtual console games (Zelda, Mario Land, Donkey Kong)?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I just cannot go back and get into GameBoy games. I did like it as a kid but never loved it. While I can appreciate a lot of their ideas and concepts I just find them too clunky to replay as an adult.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did love the Gameboy. I spent two years coveting the damn thing before my mother caved-in and bought one for me. When I finally got one I played the heck out of that thing. Nintendo is definitely targeting people that loved that little system. It's a blatant appeal to out nostalgic natures, but I really don't mind.

And yes, a lot of the games are clunky and haven't aged well, but there are some real gems there.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Donkey Kong 94 will make it the 2nd Nintendo e-shop (Wii or 3DS) purchase in like 2-3 years now for me (Besides Cave Story for Wii). Which is sad when you think about it. Hopefully they bring out the Donkey Kong Land Games as well.[/QUOTE]

Weren't the Donkey Kong Land games merely inferior, watered-down versions of their console counterparts?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Damn, I really wish I had my 3DS back from repair right about now. I'd love to play Donkey Kong again. Is it sad that I feel like the 3 best games on the system are all gameboy virtual console games (Zelda, Mario Land, Donkey Kong)?[/QUOTE]

There's still a ton of other awesome games that they can put out.

Off the top of my head:

Tetris
Tetris DX
Super Mario Land 2
The Final Fantasy Legend series
Metroid II
Castlevania series
Deluxe Super Mario Bros.
Dragon Quest I $ II

Some of those are GBC games, but you get the point.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Damn, I really wish I had my 3DS back from repair right about now. I'd love to play Donkey Kong again. Is it sad that I feel like the 3 best games on the system are all gameboy virtual console games (Zelda, Mario Land, Donkey Kong)?[/QUOTE]

There's still a ton of other awesome games that they can put out.

Off the top of my head:

Tetris
Tetris DX
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid II
Castlevania series
Deluxe Super Mario Bros.
Dragon Quest I $ II

Some of those are GBC games, but you get the point.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']There's still a ton of other awesome games that they can put out.

Off the top of my head:

Tetris
Tetris DX
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid II
Castlevania series
Deluxe Super Mario Bros.
Dragon Quest I $ II

Some of those are GBC games, but you get the point.[/QUOTE]

Yes, those will do perfectly.

Still don't understand why there's no GBA support on the eshop. I would love to sell off my physical GBA collection, and clear up tons of space in my closet.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Still don't understand why there's no GBA support on the eshop. I would love to sell off my physical GBA collection, and clear up tons of space in my closet.[/QUOTE]
Not only that but the games are literally a few MB's for the whole game. I don't see why they wouldn't, but then again they could always patch it in as well.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Thanks for the Hori suggestion-- they've always made good products.

Also, I put the circle pad to a good test by putting in Mario 64. It was... weird. It mostly worked, but I found it somewhat difficult to make smooth directions. When I tried to run in a circle, I would often make sudden movements when I would try to run in a circle.

Is this common or should I look into contacting Nintendo about the circle pad?

EDIT: Wait, the circle pad really won't help DS games, will it?[/QUOTE]

I think it has completely changed Mario 64 for the better. I couldn't play it at all before on the d-pad. Now I'm up to ~130 stars and looking forward to revisiting more 64 games on the 3DS. OoT can't get here soon enough.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Still don't understand why there's no GBA support on the eshop. I would love to sell off my physical GBA collection, and clear up tons of space in my closet.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they're holding off for Gameboy's successor? Aw, remember when Nintendo said that the DS was the third pillar in their house of gaming? The first being the home console and the second being the Gameboy? What happened, Nintendo?

Come on, clearly the 3rd pillar thing was just a line of bullshit to cover Nintendo in case DS didn't work out. DS was so successful there was no point cannibalizing their own sales.

I also just want to point out that SML:2 Six golden coins just popped into my head and damn I loved that game. I hope it gets released on 3ds shop for sure.

Nintendo has to squeeze as much money out of this thing as they can. Once the GB games stop being profitable I bet we'll see GBA games being announced.

I believe the Gameboy name is dead. The DS is its successor.

Also, the VC is not limited to the systems at the moment. More can always be added later. If they released GBA games right away, I don't believe anyone would buy the older games. It's all part of the business plan. GBA games on the 3DS will be mind blowing.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
Nintendo has to squeeze as much money out of this thing as they can. Once the GB games stop being profitable I bet we'll see GBA games being announced.[/QUOTE]
Actually I just thought of it, but it could also be the fact that they are still selling the DS Lite for $99. I seen a tv add for it yesterday, in fact. Probably a plan to get as many more DS Lites sold that they still can, and then sell the games on the 3DS shop once the DS Lite's are no more.

Although I do agree that they are waiting on the GB Games to stop selling well and they released most of their stuff, because to the average gamer, who would buy a GB game when they can get a graphically and most likely gameplay superior GBA game.

Yeah, that would seem weird if you didn't know! I guess the first couple of levels look like the original (although don't quite play the same), but after that...

Looking at those pictures makes me want to play it again! Geez I wish they had backwards compatibility for all their systems :(

[quote name='Mad D']I was wondering why some people were getting excited about Donkey Kong GB. I just assumed it was a port of the arcade Donkey Kong. I didn't know that after the first few levels it turned into a puzzle platformer. A long one too, 101 levels.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_(Game_Boy)#Level_Progression

I'll probably pick it up now. It looks like it has more content than some of the 3DS launch titles :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a great game and I'm seriously tempted to buy it.. though I have the original cart upstairs in a box somewhere.

Back in the day, if I remember right, this was the showcase title for the launch of the super gameboy. It's a real shame that they didn't include the SNES enhancements in the downloadable version,.. if they had I wouldn't have spent even a moment on the fence about it.

So far I am really loving the eShop. I just like having a lot of games on one system and the 2 I've got (Super Mario Land and Donkey Kong) are favorites. Nostalgia is one thing but these games are still pretty fun.

And the suspend feature works great and makes the old schooling more tolerable.

I don't get the bitching about the price either. $4-$6 for a game? Not that much.

Please put up all the Wario Land GBC games Nintendo! Stupidly sold them years ago, I miss them and would love them on a 3DS (once I pick one up)

[quote name='usickenme']So far I am really loving the eShop. I just like having a lot of games on one system and the 2 I've got (Super Mario Land and Donkey Kong) are favorites. Nostalgia is one thing but these games are still pretty fun.

I don't get the bitching about the price either. $4-$6 for a game? Not that much.[/QUOTE]

concur with both comments. I never got the chance to play DK for the GB and man did i miss out. I can't put it down.

actually it would be anywhere from 3-6...and i also see no problem with that. 6 bucks for Link's awakening is a deal. I dont even think you can get it that cheap in cart form nowadays....also it should be known that Nintendo would charge that much ffor its first party titles. I think the prices are very tolerable.

I also never got to experience DSi Ware as I stuck a with a DS Lite until switching to the 3DS and i must say Cave Story is excellent.

Loving the restore point feature on the classic games. as another poster sad, it makes it more tolerable.

I never did own Wario Land 1.

That series was really good...wish they'd do a 5.

But then I want Metroid 5 too...

[quote name='utopianmachine']Donkey Kong? Meh. I was over that, like, a decade ago.[/QUOTE]
No, you need to play this one.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Any opinions on the 3DS web browser? I know it doesn't support Flash or HTML5, nor did I expect it, I'm just curious how it handles on the 3DS.[/QUOTE]
I totally forgot the update provided this.

[quote name='usickenme']So far I am really loving the eShop. I just like having a lot of games on one system and the 2 I've got (Super Mario Land and Donkey Kong) are favorites. Nostalgia is one thing but these games are still pretty fun.

I don't get the bitching about the price either. $4-$6 for a game? Not that much.[/QUOTE]

The E-Shop is muuuucchhh better then the DSIware store thingy on the DSI. So far I'm happy with my 3ds purchase. 6 bucks for a game is pushing it a bit, but overall, the prices have been fair.

bread's done
Back