Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='jbuck138']I'm curious to any improvements over the DSi web browser too.[/QUOTE]

I can only compare it to the DSI one, but it's much faster and works to the point that it's actually nice to use in a pinch.

[quote name='docvinh']The E-Shop is muuuucchhh better then the DSIware store thingy on the DSI. So far I'm happy with my 3ds purchase. 6 bucks for a game is pushing it a bit, but overall, the prices have been fair.[/QUOTE]

yeah but now that I think about it, I hope the 5.99 for GB/GBC games doesn't mean GBA games will be $9.99

[quote name='usickenme']yeah but now that I think about it, I hope the 5.99 for GB/GBC games doesn't mean GBA games will be $9.99[/QUOTE]

Though many would be worth it and cheaper than eBay, $10 a game would be a serious blow on the wallet. So far, GB games have been $4 max and the GBC game $6. Maybe it will follow the $2 increment? With that in mind, GBA games on the 3DS would be mind blowing.

So all this talk about Donkey Kong has got me interested. I too thought it was the arcade game. I'm a big fan of puzzlers, but I can't see myself playing in black and white. Is the game good to the point where I would be able to look past it?

[quote name='Dranakin']I realize that this news is old, but I just found out that Star Fox 64 3DS doesn't have online multiplayer. What a joke![/QUOTE]

Nintendo doesn't understand how to implement onling gaming well, you should have known that by now due to the years of using lame "friend codes". No big surprise here.

[quote name='omster']

So all this talk about Donkey Kong has got me interested. I too thought it was the arcade game. I'm a big fan of puzzlers, but I can't see myself playing in black and white. Is the game good to the point where I would be able to look past it?[/QUOTE]

after the first few puzzles you won't even notice

[quote name='Dranakin']I realize that this news is old, but I just found out that Star Fox 64 3DS doesn't have online multiplayer. What a joke![/QUOTE]

But... but...! You'll be able to see your friend's 40x40 pixel mug update once every 3 seconds! Aren't you stoked?

just finished Link's Awakening . never played it back in the day even though I'm a huge zelda fan.

great game and well worth the 6 bucks if you dont already own it.

odd side story about LA.. i know for a fact that i never owned it, and yet when I found my old GB carts a couple summers ago, there was a copy of it in there(as well as Pokemon , which I also certainly didn't buy/own). That still didn't push me to play it though, so I'm glad I picked it up on the 3ds.

Also, I dug out my GBASP and Donkey Kong today with all the talk of it.. which only served to remind me how terrible GB games look on the GBA. I think I'm gonna grab a GBC the next time I see one at a yard sale or something.

I thought it did, wasn't this confirmed at the Nintendo press conference or is it just local play?

Wait, what? I thought the whole demo with the pictures of the other players was for the online play? If that was just for local play that is pretty lame.

Anyway, I finally bought my first 3DS game today (for my launch system ;)) thanks to the GS B2G1 sale. They had a pretty big selection this time. I remember at the last B2G1 they had like 1 game.

I wasn't going to get anything but I had two other $35 games I wanted so using a $35 3DS game for my third worked out pretty well. I ended up getting Nintendogs + Cats. They had just one and I thought it was fate since it was the cover with the Io kitten on it. I never played the original Nintendogs all that much so we'll see how much I actually play this. It did have the reg code in it which is hopefully unused. I'll have to wait till July to find out as after Zelda + the Exctiebike/Pokemon surveys I'll have more than enough coins for platinum this year.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Local multiplayer only on a portable console is retarded. It's 2011 now, Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I think anything that uses the camera feature for multiplayer is gonna be local/friend only. They may just well be afraid of the penis face pics.

[quote name='bmachine']Where's everyone getting their copy of Zelda from tomorrow?

Is Kmart's $15 gaming credit the best brick-and-mortar deal?[/QUOTE]

My friend and I are going to Target to buy Zelda and get another one for 50% off. That makes each copy $30 + tax (each) on the spot. I am not really interested in gaming coupons/GCs right now.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']My friend and I are going to Target to buy Zelda and get another one for 50% off. That makes each copy $30 + tax (each) on the spot. I am not really interested in gaming coupons/GCs right now.[/QUOTE]

The Target B150% doesn't end today? I thought they had new deals every Sunday.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The Target B150% doesn't end today? I thought they had new deals every Sunday.[/QUOTE]

there is a new deal for zelda

Mmm damn, gimme that. I'd much rather go that route than Amazon or GS. And for me, K-Mart is out of the way/there's noting in the next 45 days I want to spend the $15 coupon on there.

Personally I would do the buy 2 games and get a $25 gift card at best buy (assuming 2 copies of zelda works), since I can transfer the BB gift card into amazon gift card.

[quote name='62t']Personally I would do the buy 2 games and get a $25 gift card at best buy (assuming 2 copies of zelda works), since I can transfer the BB gift card into amazon gift card.[/QUOTE]

I guess the issue with both is that I don't want another 3DS game. Maybe I'll grab two copies and sell the second (offering to eBay message the Club Nintendo code so they can register early). That should work...

I was considering the Target deal with BlazBlue as my 2nd choice but it's online-only. Bah. I guess I'll go with the K-Mart deal.

I wonder, though...if one can buy a 2nd 3DS game (any title) at Target and then return it within 30 days to exchange for an upcoming 3DS game. Haven't looked up what's next on the release list.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I guess the issue with both is that I don't want another 3DS game. Maybe I'll grab two copies and sell the second (offering to eBay message the Club Nintendo code so they can register early). That should work...[/QUOTE]

Quoting myself is pretty messed up but anyways... I decided to list OoT on eBay and it sold instantly, so after everything is said and done I'll have spent ~$53 for a copy of OoT and a $25 Amazon GC. Can't complain about that!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Local multiplayer only on a portable console is retarded. It's 2011 now, Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo only cares about the Japanese market. You know this.

[quote name='smoger']just finished Link's Awakening . never played it back in the day even though I'm a huge zelda fan.

great game and well worth the 6 bucks if you dont already own it.

odd side story about LA.. i know for a fact that i never owned it, and yet when I found my old GB carts a couple summers ago, there was a copy of it in there(as well as Pokemon , which I also certainly didn't buy/own). That still didn't push me to play it though, so I'm glad I picked it up on the 3ds.

Also, I dug out my GBASP and Donkey Kong today with all the talk of it.. which only served to remind me how terrible GB games look on the GBA. I think I'm gonna grab a GBC the next time I see one at a yard sale or something.[/QUOTE]

If you get the backlit GBA SP GB games look so great on it. No more yellowish screen so the games look just like they do on a DS Lite or better system. I still see no need for me to buy e-shop games when I have almost every GB->GBA game that I want to play in cartridge form.

However the original GBA and GBC still have their uses as they are absolutely excellent for playing in the car, so its worth it if you take road trips since modern systems you can't see the screen since it gets totally washed out in the sunlight. But on the older systems without a backlight you can see it perfectly. The systems work well in the car even on a cloudy day (not at night time though obviously) and the easily replaceable AA batteries make the GBA and GBC a must for road trips and in-car play.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I was considering the Target deal with BlazBlue as my 2nd choice but it's online-only. Bah. I guess I'll go with the K-Mart deal.

I wonder, though...if one can buy a 2nd 3DS game (any title) at Target and then return it within 30 days to exchange for an upcoming 3DS game. Haven't looked up what's next on the release list.[/QUOTE]

Being completely honest blazblue is a rather poor 3ds title and of the games I own the worst. Moving past all the features it lacks the 3D is hit miss and the controls are quite hard without the thumbpad.

[quote name='admiralvic']Being completely honest blazblue is a rather poor 3ds title and of the games I own the worst. Moving past all the features it lacks the 3D is hit miss and the controls are quite hard without the thumbpad.[/QUOTE]Did you turn on "command assist" in the options?

[quote name='Strell']Raise your hand if you were going to play Starfox's multiplayer. At all.

Be honest now.[/QUOTE]If online, absolutely. I even played Star Fox: Command online a few times. Online multiplayer would have bumped the 64 remake up to "Day-1" status.

Without online, I doubt I'll even touch multiplayer if there aren't bots. I don't know another person with a 3DS.

Any thoughts on Super Monkeyball 3D? TRU has that deal where you can get it for $15 with Zelda, and if I combine that with the $5 off certificate I have, I can effectively walk out with Monkeyball for about $10.

So, is Monkeyball worth $10? Biggest complaint most reviews seem to have is that it's pretty short, but are there any other serious problems beyond that?

Any help and input appreciated.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Nintendo only cares about the Japanese market. You know this.[/QUOTE]

I knooooow. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Strell']Raise your hand if you were going to play Starfox's multiplayer. At all.

Be honest now.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely not saying I would play online multiplayer. I don't generally play anything online, nor do I tend to buy the kind of games that offer it.

But judging from the responses of others, there would be plenty of interest in online play. Ninty just doesn't care.

Be honest now.[/QUOTE]

I would have played it, remember how much it sucked, and gone back to single player. Star Fox 64 is my desert island game. I can play it constantly and ever get bored.

Got a dumb ? about the virtual console/DSi/3DS shop; Do you use DSi/Wii points cards to buy stuff, or is it separate?

I bought a DSi Granny edition very late and never bought DSi DLs on it.

I'm behind on the thread, (I've been busy) so sorry if this was asked before.

DSi/Wiiware cards are separate from 3DS cards and are the "Nintendo Points" version. 3DS stuff will be branded as the 3DS/eShop. There's no crossover, and the shops should fail to register a card if you try. It's annoying and somewhat confusing.

Just so you know, should you consider a 3DS down the line, you can transfer the software from DSiware too it. However, you will lose all save game information. Stupid, but that's the only option we've got.

[quote name='Strell']DSi/Wiiware cards are separate from 3DS cards and are the "Nintendo Points" version. 3DS stuff will be branded as the 3DS/eShop. There's no crossover, and the shops should fail to register a card if you try. It's annoying and somewhat confusing.

Just so you know, should you consider a 3DS down the line, you can transfer the software from DSiware too it. However, you will lose all save game information. Stupid, but that's the only option we've got.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I do have a 3DS and DL'd excitebike and the pokemon game, but I just had that question. Thanks for the clarification. I looked for 3DS cards at WalMart, but they didn't have them. I'm guessing I'll have to pick them up at Gamestop or Best Buy?

[quote name='2DMention']Oh no, I do have a 3DS and DL'd excitebike and the pokemon game, but I just had that question. Thanks for the clarification. I looked for 3DS cards at WalMart, but they didn't have them. I'm guessing I'll have to pick them up at Gamestop or Best Buy?[/QUOTE]

That seems to be where everyone is finding them. I checked Wal-mart too the other day. Even Amazon isn't selling them.

Finally tried the browser myself. It's pretty awful, as I expected. Reminds me of the early PSP browser. Very slow loading and rendering. Pretty much unusable unless you want to check your email in a pinch and have no other way.

So...how do you get more pogeymanz in your 3'dex?

I went to the 3DS Zelda event at the GS in my area, picked up some pretty cool swag. Flingsmash plush, 3DS beanie, pack of Ocarina of Time 3DS stickers, and a 3DS lanyard. I picked up only a few tags which was the main reason I went but at least the game was cool!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
So...how do you get more pogeymanz in your 3'dex?[/QUOTE]
You get 3 random Pokemon a day, but once you receive a Pokemon you have to hit Home and then go back to the Pokedex to get the other Pokemon, then do it again once more. It's weird, and I hope not intentional.

Also, if you scan a Pokemon AR image online I believe it increases the odds of you getting that specific Pokemon.

[quote name='2DMention']I looked for 3DS cards at WalMart, but they didn't have them. I'm guessing I'll have to pick them up at Gamestop or Best Buy?[/QUOTE]

Picked mine up last week at TRU as part of their 15% off cards sale.

Just got a 3DS today. That first intro screen where they countdown to 3D is crazy. I don't see myself using 3D for gameplay but it's cool to play with every so often.

Zelda OoT looks unbelievable! I forget I'm playing on a Nintendo handheld.

bread's done
Back