Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='dallow']Tennis GB is all that came out for 3DS?

I thought the delay in launching the eShop from launch was to have nice steady content available.[/QUOTE]

This!
And where the fuck is any 3d content (at all)? Even simple games would be nice. I know they love the gameboy, but I'm not purchasing anymore of those games. Move on to the GBA era (at least) please.

I'm probably going to get the 3ds and wondering should I get an extended warranty on it?

With my past systems the gamecube, DS and wii I never got one and never had issues with the systems.

Have the 3DS been pretty good or has some people had issues where it needed to be taken to be fixed?

Has anyone else noticed that their friends list is inactive while they're playing Zelda?

When playing other games I like to pop open the list to see what others are playing...but it doesn't work with Zelda. The wi-fi indicator always says "StreetPass" instead of "Internet".

Is it something in my settings or is it the same for everyone? This could explain why there are fewer people playing Zelda on my list than i was expecting.

[quote name='dallow']Bug with the game. Internet doesn't work while its playing.

It'll be patched.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok...so that's a known thing? Thanks for the tip, dallow.

[quote name='bmachine']Ah, ok...so that's a known thing? Thanks for the tip, dallow.[/QUOTE]

Well.... known by users. And it seems to be universal.
I guess Nintendo knows, though I was just kidding about the patch. We'll just have to deal with it.

I find it very exciting to turn on my 3DS and have new content waiting for me on games I've played. Very Cool.

I'm still looking for more friends for stuff like Pokedex 3D if people want to add me.

[quote name='KingBroly']I find it very exciting to turn on my 3DS and have new content waiting for me on games I've played. Very Cool.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I mean even if it's costumes like on DOA: Dimensions, I still love the idea.

Does any stores sell Hori screen protectors in store or is it just online?

I remember target having them for the DS a few years ago or something like that, but not sure if they have it for 3ds there too.

I don't mind ordering off amazon, but it'll take some time to get here.

[quote name='utopianmachine']You could play Zelda and mail the 3DS back later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I planned on just playing a little bit of Zelda last night then sending it in today but Zelda's just too. damn. good. I can't believe how great this game is even after nearly 15 years. At any rate, I figure I'll take it out of town with me this weekend then send it in when I get back.

[quote name='Rocko']My hinge seemed a little loose. My roommate's system did too. Might just be the way it goes.[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing when I first got it but I see videos online of the same thing with updates that they got a replacement that wasn't loose at all when in the locked position.
[quote name='lilman']
Did they send you your old 3DS "fixed" or a new system?

I just bought my system the other day and the hinge is a little loose.For me it doesn't affect gameplay. The only time I could see it being a problem is combining gyro motion with 3D, but even without a loose hinge when you start moving around it's hard to keep the 3D from blurring so no big deal.[/QUOTE]

They sent me a different one back.

I wouldn't make a big deal but the 3D is so fickle that when the screen is loose it bumps it in and out of the
"correct" view. Its not like its a little bit of waggle either, it just flops around a good 1/2" which provides for a very distracting experience.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
I wouldn't make a big deal but the 3D is so fickle that when the screen is loose it bumps it in and out of the
"correct" view. Its not like its a little bit of waggle either, it just flops around a good 1/2" which provides for a very distracting experience.[/QUOTE]

Amazon told me Nintendo said that's the design and not the flaw.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
They sent me a different one back.
[/QUOTE]
I assumed they would rather open it up and tighten stuff than replace the whole thing. Maybe it's not an easy problem to fix.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
I wouldn't make a big deal but the 3D is so fickle that when the screen is loose it bumps it in and out of the "correct" view. Its not like its a little bit of waggle either, it just flops around a good 1/2" which provides for a very distracting experience.[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean about the 3D being fickle. My top screen doesn't wiggle during play; I would have to tap the back of the screen or rotate it towards me to get mine to move. I guess some hinges are looser than others. Good luck on your next replacement.

I think the 3D Slider is the problem. They need cracks for the slider to rest in so it doesn't move around. Heck, it moves around in my pocket as well which sucks.

3D for DOA seems to work pretty well. I can tell it's 3D because if I put my finger over the screen (not touching it) it looks like I'm touching the world.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think the 3D Slider is the problem. They need cracks for the slider to rest in so it doesn't move around. Heck, it moves around in my pocket as well which sucks.

3D for DOA seems to work pretty well. I can tell it's 3D because if I put my finger over the screen (not touching it) it looks like I'm touching the world boobs.[/QUOTE]
Fixed that for ya.

I have that $20 Amazon credit from OoT... I'm thinking of getting Nintendogs for $20 since no other eligible games interest me.

I'm going to attempt something crazy with my 3DS. I'm taking it with me to Anime Expo this year and I'm going to see how many people I can meet via Street Pass. I'm just going to leave it on sleep mode all day and check at the end of each day.

Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA) CEO Michael Lattanzio announced during Anime Expo 2010's closing ceremonies on July 4 that the convention had a turnstile attendance of over 105,000. Anime Expo's website lists last year's turnstile attendance at over 109,000 with over 44,000 unique attendees.

"Turnstile attendance" is the number of attendees on each day added together, so a person who uses a four-day pass is counted four times. "Unique attendees" is the number of attendees regardless of how many days they attend, so a person who uses a four-day pass is counted once.

I have a feeling I'm going to break my 3DS :p

[quote name='LancerEvoX']I'm going to attempt something crazy with my 3DS. I'm taking it with me to Anime Expo this year and I'm going to see how many people I can meet via Street Pass. I'm just going to leave it on sleep mode all day and check at the end of each day.

[/QUOTE]

You need to keep checking because you can only have 10 Mii at a time so you need to keep accepting people. You need to do the mini games right away since you can only have 10 Mii at a time. BTW if you got SFIV you should do streetpass for that game as well. Also have an interesting quote. Having been to 2 con myself since the release of the 3DS it was a lot of fun.

RE: Mercenaries comes out in 2 days, and no reviews are up yet :| I wish Capcom would make a RE game on the 3DS in the style of the first 3 games. The whole fixed camera angle thing would look awesome in 3D I bet.

I'm fairly certain that there's an embargo on RE reviews. I think they go up either tomorrow or Tuesday. It's another reason I'm not thrilled that Capcom shipped their store orders early... I literally don't know of this game is worth it or not.

Either way, the 'no save reset' thing already came out, so I'm curious to see if there's actually anything more damaging than that.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I just noticed last night that my right speaker is completely dead. Yeah, this thing's going back to Amazon. :([/QUOTE]

Whoa, you actually bought a 3DS? Bummer. :lol:

[quote name='elessar123']Wow, play through the game once, and you can't ever restart. Good job, Capcom.[/QUOTE]

It's a VERY effective way to kill used sales.

Also, I caved and bought a 3DS. Loving it so far.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Whoa, you actually bought a 3DS? Bummer. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Can you please stop trolling this thread? You're such a little gnat.

[quote name='62t']You need to keep checking because you can only have 10 Mii at a time so you need to keep accepting people. You need to do the mini games right away since you can only have 10 Mii at a time. BTW if you got SFIV you should do streetpass for that game as well. Also have an interesting quote. Having been to 2 con myself since the release of the 3DS it was a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

This limitation quickly makes the whole process seem like work.

I never realized you can only do 10 at a time, I have 38 street tags so far. I get most of my hits when I go to the mall or Disney Land. I have somebody in my plaza that has almost 1000 hits. :cold:

[quote name='Dranakin']Wait, what?[/QUOTE]

The game has one non-erasable save slot. So once you beat the game you cannot start over. Granted, this is a game made up of missions, so I'm sure you can replay the missions to your heart's content. But someone who has never played the game before couldn't get your cart and start from scratch (primarily aimed at used game sales, but inconvenient for significant others, family members, or even your own use).

[quote name='Rocko']The game has one non-erasable save slot. So once you beat the game you cannot start over. Granted, this is a game made up of missions, so I'm sure you can replay the missions to your heart's content. But someone who has never played the game before couldn't get your cart and start from scratch (primarily aimed at used game sales, but inconvenient for significant others, family members, or even your own use).[/QUOTE]

Whaaaa? That's pretty bad. Maybe all it's like those old GB/GBA games that required a certain button combo to reset the save data? Probably not, huh?

[quote name='Rocko']The game has one non-erasable save slot. So once you beat the game you cannot start over. Granted, this is a game made up of missions, so I'm sure you can replay the missions to your heart's content. But someone who has never played the game before couldn't get your cart and start from scratch (primarily aimed at used game sales, but inconvenient for significant others, family members, or even your own use).[/QUOTE]
Ok that is fucking crazy. Capcom is becoming as bad as EA and Activision now. $5 MvC 3 character, SF4 Arcade, The Megaman Legends 3 demo.

Speaking of MML3, anyone know when the demo is going up, or if it still even is? I want to see MML3 released.

I've heard by the end of the summer, but who knows.

And Capcom's been getting worse as the generation has gone on. They are looking at unrealistic expectations for almost everything they put out nowadays. MVC3 was a barebones product when it launched, and it still is. This, however, is just plain insulting.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Capcom is seriously getting out of control with its DRM.[/QUOTE]

See: what they did with Street Fighter for the PC. It wasn't until Capcom got a ton of bad press that they finally changed their 'always-online' DRM. Course, that didn't help for PS3 games when PSN was down...

So I just got a 3ds and doa dimensions today. Could anyone explain to me how to get the DLC costumes? I have all the spotpass stuff enabled and I let it sit on the main menu for a few hours and nothing ever appeared.

[quote name='genfuyung']So I just got a 3ds and doa dimensions today. Could anyone explain to me how to get the DLC costumes? I have all the spotpass stuff enabled and I let it sit on the main menu for a few hours and nothing ever appeared.[/QUOTE]

its random... you can constantly boot/exit or play and hope it appears, but its purely random

It's Spot Pass stuff. Just let your system sit in standby mode now that you've set it up and you should be good to go. DOA updates around 12n-2pm EDT everyday, but it is sorta random.

I found that going in and out of your friends list every couple of minutes is a good way to get it to trigger. I could usually get the updates a few minutes after noon CST.

[quote name='genfuyung']So I just got a 3ds and doa dimensions today. Could anyone explain to me how to get the DLC costumes? I have all the spotpass stuff enabled and I let it sit on the main menu for a few hours and nothing ever appeared.[/QUOTE]
It's once a day, and it's usually like at x hour of the day they give them out (don't remember when) to everyone at once. Just keep the 3DS in standby mode (so you can keep it closed, just don't turn the power fully off) and with DOA in the system you will get costumes once a day.

You haven't got any DLC costumes yet because they didn't release that DLC costume for that day, or it was already released. You will when they release one. I just leave my 3DS in the cradle and then check every night for new costumes and it's been working fine for me.

Speaking of DOA, I had the most epic unlock yesterday, I unlocked 5 characters at once, lol. Now I can casually play that game because all I need is those statues and those alternative menu languages.

Since all the scuttlebutt has been about the save situation, I figured I'd just throw this in this thread...

So, RE: The Mercenaries is actually a pretty decent game. If you enjoyed The Mercenaries in RE4 or 5, you'll enjoy this. Pretty simply, really. This is, however, a game that shows the hardware limitations of the 3DS, as Capcom tried to make it do things it obviously wasn't prepared for... the further away enemies are, the jerkier the motions of them become. It's a weird thing to describe, but you'll immediatly see it if you play the game.

In regards to the controversial save system... honestly, with the set-up of this, it really doesn't matter. The major things like characters are unlocked by the most simple progression possible, so the perks are really the only things that people may quibble at already having unlocked. Truth be told, I've put in a few hours already and never used them, though I suspect they'll be very helpful later in the game. Ultimately, it's not a big deal, and I honestly believe it was a design choice and not something to curb used sales. A used copy of this game won't really be 'gimped' at all. Now, if you're an acheivement whore, which is what the perks effectively are, you might miss unlocking those... but that's assuming that the person before you even bothered to go beyond the basic ones.

Content-wise, this is another PilotWings situation. If you pick this game up to simply plow through it, you're completely missing the point. I put a good three hours in last night simply taking EVERY character through the first 6 stages, usually repeatedly, because I wanted to hit SS rank for all of them. I do that for the rest of the game, I'm looking at 10 hours, easy... if not more. You can 'run through' the game with one character in probably an hour or two if you only care about progression... but that's just not what this game is about. Acheiving top ranks and playing with each character is the meat of this game, which people should know going in. Again, it's just like PilotWings... a very short game if you put the minimum amount of effort to progress into, but a very rewarding and long game if you're someone interested in doing as well as you possibly can.

The Revelations demo, by the way, is horrendously disappointing. We're talking about 5 minutes, and not even an exciting 5 minutes. You also can't change the options, so for someone like me who wants third person aiming and an inverted y-axis, it was annoying. Even if you have low expectations, lower them. It did, however, do the job of making me excited about the actual game. The demo, though, is awful.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed Mercenaries mode in anything else, this is worth a pick-up. Me, I actually never really got into Mercs on consoles, but I couldn't put this down. That said a lot for me right there. Not sure if I'd call this a full $40 purchase, but if you can snag it for any less (even $29.99), it's worth a look. I was okay with my $40, but I also got the free case from Capcom with it, so my cost to value ratio was skewed.

bread's done
Back