Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='KingBroly']It's Spot Pass stuff. Just let your system sit in standby mode now that you've set it up and you should be good to go. DOA updates around 12n-2pm EDT everyday, but it is sorta random.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed the same timing.

If you have the DoA cartridge in your 3DS you can tell a costume is available when the home screen DoA icon has a blue circle on it.

Any comments on the quality/functionality of the online multiplayer/co-op in RE: Mercenaries from those that have picked it up?

I'm not seeing much about it in the reviews and it's the primary reason I'd really even consider playing the game.

Is it just me, or does having to leave your 3DS on standby (as opposed to off) for 24 hours just so you can get a random costume in a game... that seems pretty environmentally questionable?

[quote name='nbballard']$4.60? What a strange price point...[/QUOTE]

I couldn't help but think of Monty Python when I read this.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is it just me, or does having to leave your 3DS on standby (as opposed to off) for 24 hours just so you can get a random costume in a game... that seems pretty environmentally questionable?[/QUOTE]
Like the Wii, I'm pretty sure the 3DS is designed to be left in standby 24/7, especially the way it asks you if you really want to turn it completely off when you hit the power button, and the fact it'll charge in the cradle on standby as well.

[quote name='bmachine']Any comments on the quality/functionality of the online multiplayer/co-op in RE: Mercenaries from those that have picked it up?

I'm not seeing much about it in the reviews and it's the primary reason I'd really even consider playing the game.[/QUOTE]

I actually haven't played around with that part of it yet. Most of the comments I've seen in regards to the online are pretty positive, though.

[quote name='utopianmachine']eShop got Kirby's Dream Land today for $4.60.

http://3dsvc.nintendolife.com/games/gameboy/kirbys_dream_land[/QUOTE]

Tax varies from state to state. Considering Link's Awakening cost me $6.48 including tax, I doubt it'd cost me that much.

Question about Puzzle Swap. Is there a way to force which puzzle I get pieces for or is it completely random? Because I just got a 2nd puzzle by Street Passing with the demo unit at my local Target and I'd like to know if I should try to finish my Pikmin puzzle first (1 piece left).

I may get Dream Land later, I'd rather Dream Land 2. Currently saving my funds for the latter Super Mario Land and Wario Land games.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I may get Dream Land later, I'd rather Dream Land 2. Currently saving my funds for the latter Super Mario Land and Wario Land games.[/QUOTE]
I can bet those Mario Land games will take like 8 years to get here :lol:

I'm in for Dream Land and I also want to pick up Anonymous Notes. I'll get them in the next few days.

I will be in heaven when they put 6 Golden Coins on the VC.

anyone else slightly annoyed by the fact that they charge tax at the time you buy each game, rather than putting tax on the purchase of your actual funds?

Since the games are all even dollar amounts, I'd much rather pay $20 +tax and actually be able to purchase $20 worth of games.

As it stands now, unless you live somewhere with no sales tax, it's almost impossible to ever be able to spend everything in your wallet.. you'll always have random amounts left over.

[quote name='KingBroly']Question about Puzzle Swap. Is there a way to force which puzzle I get pieces for or is it completely random? Because I just got a 2nd puzzle by Street Passing with the demo unit at my local Target and I'd like to know if I should try to finish my Pikmin puzzle first (1 piece left).[/QUOTE]

You can't "force" the application to give you a piece you need. When you Puzzle Swap with another person, you can choose a piece from their current stock and apply it to your own. If the only puzzle you have is Pikmin, it's possible that the other person doesn't have the Pikmin puzzle at all, thus why you got a piece from a different puzzle.

It's always good to take advantage of opening other puzzles. If you Puzzle Pass with someone who has the Pikmin puzzle, you may be able to get the piece you need from them if they already have it.

[quote name='smoger']anyone else slightly annoyed by the fact that they charge tax at the time you buy each game, rather than putting tax on the purchase of your actual funds?

Since the games are all even dollar amounts, I'd much rather pay $20 +tax and actually be able to purchase $20 worth of games.

As it stands now, unless you live somewhere with no sales tax, it's almost impossible to ever be able to spend everything in your wallet.. you'll always have random amounts left over.[/QUOTE]

It's probably more of a tax law than it is a logistical issue.

[quote name='confoosious']It's probably more of a tax law than it is a logistical issue.[/QUOTE]

I'd assume this is the case too, though it could easily be avoided if they continued to price their items in points instead of dollars and cents.

It's ultimately not a huge deal. Just bugs me that I will never have a $0 balance and forever have 30 or 40 cents trapped in the account.

On a whole other topic..

I finished the Water Temple in OoT tonight.

This is noteworthy because I've never made it through before(this is my 3rd time purchasing the game). In the past, something else always came along and got me away from the game while I was stuck there.. I'm completely excited to press on and see all the stuff I've never seen in the game.

..and surprisingly, even if the color coding wasn't there, it didn't seem THAT hard.. unless they made other subtle changes I didn't notice?

[quote name='cochesecochese']I don't think it was ever particularly hard, but it got pretty damn annoying switching in and out of menus constantly.[/QUOTE]

The water temple was always a chore, especially if you missed that one key early on. cocheese is right, equipping what you need for that temple in the old inventory system was trash.

Does the 3DS not support most characters for WPA2 security?

I'm finally trying to update my 3DS since I got an email saying it was my last chance to get Excitebike...

Only the "symbols" thing is grayed out, can't click it, and so I can't enter my password :mad:

Great...so I shut off security on my network, try to update, and it just hangs after several minutes, with some vague error.

I boosted my network's power FIVE TIMES (even though I'm 6 feet from the router, and my iPod and PSP connect from OUTSIDE the other side of my home with no problem).

Run it AGAIN, and...the update must be HUUUUUUUGE, but....no, after like 15 minutes (and 75% done) it quit again.

Another couple of times and it finishes...

Grabbing Excitebike now!

This seems super messed up though.

Apparently doing this is going to break Ridge Racer, which is one of the games I've got...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Great...so I shut off security on my network, try to update, and it just hangs after several minutes, with some vague error.

I boosted my network's power FIVE TIMES (even though I'm 6 feet from the router, and my iPod and PSP connect from OUTSIDE the other side of my home with no problem).

Run it AGAIN, and...the update must be HUUUUUUUGE, but....no, after like 15 minutes (and 75% done) it quit again.

Another couple of times and it finishes...

Grabbing Excitebike now!

This seems super messed up though.

Apparently doing this is going to break Ridge Racer, which is one of the games I've got...[/QUOTE]

That update only took about 5 minutes for me, so maybe they had something going on with their network today or something. Also, I think they fixed the Ridge Racer problem already.

Yeah, I saw the release notes and thankfully they patched it so Ridge Racer works again.

Seriously buggy for me though *sigh*. Guess I'll have to go through this if I ever want to rent anything on my 3DS (shutting down security, etc.

[quote name='confoosious']It's probably more of a tax law than it is a logistical issue.[/QUOTE]
I think it varies state to state. Some places charge tax on the cards and you aren't charged at the eShop level- others don't charge in estore and charge with the card.

Tennessee changed their rules on it a year or so back and I started getting taxed for PSN purchases. Before that change, I was taxed when i bought the cards (I remember because i complained to a GS manager about it and bought cards at different stores to test it out). Now, the cards aren't taxed and it comes out at the store level.

I went to see a movie today and got a Street Pass, which gave me a Puzzle Piece I already had. At least with the Play Coins I allotted I was able to complete the Pikmin Puzzle. Hopefully I won't get anymore pieces of that Puzzle.

I went to target the otherday and they had tons of puzzle pieces on their demo. I finished my pikmin and now i'm working on one with Mario and Bowser.

Still have yet to get any street pass hits. Took my 3ds out to best buy, books-a-million, barnes & noble, and the mall this past Saturday. Nothing.

I'm hoping they add 1 more Puzzle. Or at the very least add a way so you can get new puzzles over Spot Pass or the e-Shop. At this rate I doubt I'll find anyone who has anyone other than Pikmin or Metroid as a puzzle.

But I doubt they'll add another Puzzle because that'd ruin the Street Pass aspect of it since everyone would have it.

I think I've figured out a Strategy for Puzzles and Find Mii, and that's to alternate days, because I really get a lot of repeats if I buy Pieces for the same puzzle on back-to-back days.

So does the 3DS draw what's behind something in the foreground so you can look around that object by moving your head slightly to the side? I played a demo unit at Target and it seemed like you couldn't but I only tried for a minute since I was in a rush.

[quote name='Javery']So does the 3DS draw what's behind something in the foreground so you can look around that object by moving your head slightly to the side? I played a demo unit at Target and it seemed like you couldn't but I only tried for a minute since I was in a rush.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember what software you were using? That's an intriguing idea...

[quote name='QiG']Do you remember what software you were using? That's an intriguing idea...[/QUOTE]

There are some games that were cheap little downloadable titles for the DSi that would measure your face and use the changes in those shapes to determine if your head was moving and adjust the picture accordingly. The game i'm thinking of was some sort of visual "hidden elements" puzzle.

I think some of the newer games were also using the tech.

[quote name='QiG']Do you remember what software you were using? That's an intriguing idea...[/QUOTE]

It was Lego Star Wars III. The image was definitely in 3D but I could not see "around" my character at all by moving my head left or right. I guess this is why you can adjust the 3D with the slider - it is projecting the same image whether it is flat or not. Is that right?

ok so I know this is a dumb question but how do you copy your game saves to your SD card? googling has failed me and I want to move my Shadow Wars save to my SD card before I trade it in. Data Management only gives me access to excitebike and pokedex.

[quote name='Javery']It was Lego Star Wars III. The image was definitely in 3D but I could not see "around" my character at all by moving my head left or right. I guess this is why you can adjust the 3D with the slider - it is projecting the same image whether it is flat or not. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

The 3D effects in the 3DS are more of a reverse 3D, it's not so much that the images pop out at you, but rather it adds depth and makes it look as if you're looking into a box. To answer your previous question, none of the games I've played have that type of tech going on. Also, to be perfectly honest, I don't see that happening on the 3DS anytime soon either, as you can only move your head so much before you get some serious ghosting going on or just completely negate the 3D effects. I think the biggest thing about the 3DS that has surprised me thus far is that it really is graphically superior to the DS. Just playing through DOA:D and OoT, you can definitely see the differences. The DS never had anything quite that crisp or smooth looking.

[quote name='jza1218']I can't be the only one thinking what the hell with these games, right?[/QUOTE]

Negative, although Qix I played and enjoyed the majority of the games that have released on the Virtual Console are quite meh. Just waiting on those AAA+++ titles before I spend anymore money on e-Shop shtuff.

[quote name='jza1218']I can't be the only one thinking what the hell with these games, right?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Where is Metroid? Or Castlevania? Or those Game Gear and TurboGrafx 16 games? Silly Nintendo.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I don't know if this has already been posted, but my friend emailed me this:

Full Pokédex 3D AR Markers List[/QUOTE]
As someone not currently playing the game and thus not having any practical use for it, I've been enjoying the ritual of getting my three Pokemon a day and see no rush in unlocking everything.

[quote name='Mixer236']The 3D effects in the 3DS are more of a reverse 3D, it's not so much that the images pop out at you, but rather it adds depth and makes it look as if you're looking into a box. To answer your previous question, none of the games I've played have that type of tech going on. Also, to be perfectly honest, I don't see that happening on the 3DS anytime soon either, as you can only move your head so much before you get some serious ghosting going on or just completely negate the 3D effects. I think the biggest thing about the 3DS that has surprised me thus far is that it really is graphically superior to the DS. Just playing through DOA:D and OoT, you can definitely see the differences. The DS never had anything quite that crisp or smooth looking.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. I definitely see myself buying one in the future but just not right away. I'm at least waiting until there are 5 games I'd consider buying and right now there is only one - and it's a remake.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, Qix is good if you like well.... Qix games.
I'll get it.[/QUOTE]

Qix is awesome - one of the most played games on my arcade cab. Of course that means I won't ever be purchasing it anywhere else. :D

Yeah, it's not really 3D in the way you describe it.
The DSiWare game Looksly's Lineup or however it was spelled was just an optical illusion that used face tracking to change the 2D image around so it looked like you were peeking around stuff.

On the 3DS it is sending two different images, one to each of your eyes to add depth.

[quote name='jza1218']I'd really like to see Mario Golf and Mario Tennis make their way to the VC. Or a 3DS version.[/QUOTE]

I'd be down with some Mario Tennis. I didn't play the Gamecube version, but the one on the n64 was totally kick-ass.

bread's done
Back