Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I think it's pretty clear that Iwata knew Nintendo was in rocky waters. The Q1 reports thread on GAF showed that Nintendo only sold ~1.3 million average per territory. As so many have said, the price was just too high. But with a price drop to $170....that means $80 per console margin. Approximately $75 million earned from the early adopter tax...not bad.

[quote name='dallow']All I know is that I need to put my extra system up for a BIN of $200 right now and take the big loss.[/QUOTE]

Sorry hoss.

[quote name='docvinh']For me personally, all the free games make up for it. I've actually enjoyed most of the games I've gotten for it (not a fan of Blazblue), so truthfully I wasn't really that upset to begin with. I can't believe they're giving away the 20 games though, easily worth the extra 80 bucks I spent on it since I love a majority of the games they're giving away.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good. It looks like Nintendo picked out some pretty solid titles to give out and I have to say had I held onto my system I'd be pretty happy as well. I DO have a famicom, super famicom and gamecube (with gba player) hooked up and in fairly frequent usage but if all those games were available on a shiney new toy I'd play them a lot more.

edit: Looks like the GBA games are exclusive FOREVER for early adopters. So that's pretty decent. Almost, almost makes me want to pull the trigger now but there's a little birdie telling me they will be widely available at the end of the 3DS's life or at least the second half.

Eh, I don't really care about the GBA games honestly and not just because I own them already.
I'd rather play the carts on my Micro as I feel they'll scale awfully on the 3DS.

I'm glad to get the NES games though, but would still rather have $80-$90 in my pocket.

[quote name='KingBroly']20 free games = 200 Club Nintendo Coins[/QUOTE]

Oh baby, now we are talking :lol:

Also, postplay surveys.

[quote name='docvinh']For me personally, all the free games make up for it. I've actually enjoyed most of the games I've gotten for it (not a fan of Blazblue), so truthfully I wasn't really that upset to begin with. I can't believe they're giving away the 20 games though, easily worth the extra 80 bucks I spent on it since I love a majority of the games they're giving away.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Although the huge price drop makes me unhappy, all the free games I'll be receiving soon help. The GBA ones definitely make me happy, and I'm looking forward to zooming around in Mario Kart again.

[quote name='KingBroly']20 free games = 200 Club Nintendo Coins[/QUOTE]

I'm down with that too.

I saw the news on Twitter. It's surprising on all fronts, and not just because there wasn't the usual lighting up of the rumor mill. 1) The amount of the price drop ($80) - Many figured it would go to $199 first, or at least release a bundle. 2) The recency of the price drop - You'd have figured that Fall or Winter would be the most likely time for a price drop. 3) The appeasement program for the early adopters, 20* free VC titles made available before anyone else can buy them.

* Plus, the somewhat-confirmation of GBA VC titles in the future.

So it sounds like if you are an original 3DS owner, all you have to do is log on once to the eShop before August 12th or something, and you're automatically getting those NES/GBA games free.

I'm kind of glad folks who get the system with the price drop aren't getting these goodies. For that much of a price difference, we deserve them.

Haha, I still can't believe what a huge price drop this was and so soon too.
Feels like the iPhone back in 2007.

I'm really curious about the prices for the XL now.

This was honestly a breath of fresh air for me, I'm glad Nintendo decided to do something about the Nintendo 3DS, as developers are just waiting for people to buy the handheld console before they decide to invest resources and manpower into developing games for the console. It only makes sense as they don't want to lose money, which may also be why Megaman Legends 3 was canned, as Capcom probably felt that the 3DS had such a low adoption rate, that it wasn't worth investing more time into it. Yes, I did want Megaman Legends 3 to be released and it made my heart drop to read that news, but I guess I understand why Capcom did what they did. Especially after reading on Kotaku that the 3DS only sold 710,000 worldwide in the past three months.

Here's to hoping the 3DS has a successful future now and we can forgive this somewhat rocky start to the next generation of gaming!

I'm curious to know what the 10 other games are. Comes August 15th (Monday after the price cut) or so we should find out what they are. I imagine there will be at least 1 game in there no one sees coming.

Got my 3DS on day 1 and would do it over again. I got a bunch of free accessories from amazon that I sold for around $70.

[quote name='62t']Got my 3DS on day 1 and would do it over again. I got a bunch of free accessories from amazon that I sold for around $70.[/QUOTE]

This, except i paid for most of mine with some left over College Grant money. Cant wait to get dem free games. *Does the happy dance*

If you want one, I say try your hardest to get it on the cheap before the drop for those sweet sweet GBA games :drool:

EDIT - Or just buy it from BB/Walmart/Target 30 days before the drop, and then price match :lol:

Think I might actually do that. Nintendo should have made the free VC game cutoff date today. Oh well :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
While the huge price cut sucks for those of us who bought the 3DS at full price, the bigger picture is that increasing the user base will be good for us in the long term. I'm sure 3rd party publishers were beginning to doubt whether it was worthwhile to spend their resources on 3DS games.

Recently, I haven't been too happy with some of the consumer unfriendly practices of Nintendo (mostly NoA), but this time their humility is impressive. 20 games is a very generous apology. Hopefully we can get all of them in reasonable time since Nintendo has a history of being slow with downloadable titles.

Is it hard/possible to transfer eshop games if I decide to replace my 3DS in the future? This "reimbursement" would be much sweeter if ownership not strictly tied to a console rather than an account.

lolol. It's a good thing I've gotten my enjoyment out of Samurai Warriors, Zelda 3D, and the Streetpass stuff, because I do not give a shit about VC games and would not have liked paying $80 for the privilege of being a Nintendo ambassador.

Also makes me kind of sick to think about how much profit Nintendo was taking off this thing.

I knew it was coming, but not this soon. 3rd party support for this thing has been disappointing so far, with mostly shovelware.
It's a smart move on Nintendo's part, but only if publishers see a large increase in user base. Otherwise, it's nothing but a desperation move, and poor planning.

[quote name='pete5883']lolol. It's a good thing I've gotten my enjoyment out of Samurai Warriors, Zelda 3D, and the Streetpass stuff, because I do not give a shit about VC games and would not have liked paying $80 for the privilege of being a Nintendo ambassador.

Also makes me kind of sick to think about how much profit Nintendo was taking off this thing.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy an iPod then, it will make you "Banner" angry.

This is lame.. 20 VC games $90, but whatever.

I wonder what kind of toll this is going to take on the WiiU launch. I got my 3DS on faith, and they still haven't released anything I care about. I know I'm not going to pick up a WiiU at launch now unless there is a must have game.

Oh- and god forbid my wife ever finds out, she'll never let me buy anything new again!

The main forum thread on this is full of morons so I thought I'd ask here:

your downloaded games are tied to your account right? So if I download them and end up selling the 3ds later, I get to keep my 20 games? How will they authenticate that you were an early adopter?

As for day 1 adoption, I got basically a free game and a bunch of accessories out of it and an extra 5 months of playing it. What people don't understand is that time factors in too. fuck all the haters.

[quote name='confoosious']The main forum thread on this is full of morons so I thought I'd ask here:

your downloaded games are tied to your account right? So if I download them and end up selling the 3ds later, I get to keep my 20 games? How will they authenticate that you were an early adopter?

As for day 1 adoption, I got basically a free game and a bunch of accessories out of it and an extra 5 months of playing it. What people don't understand is that time factors in too. fuck all the haters.[/QUOTE]

I think your question has yet to be answered. Nintendo never *officially* said that your downloaded games would be tied to your account only. If they are still functioning as before, Nintendo may still be tagging those games to both your account and some hardware ID (without your knowledge).
I think only time will tell us the answer...

[quote name='confoosious']As for day 1 adoption, I got basically a free game and a bunch of accessories out of it and an extra 5 months of playing it. What people don't understand is that time factors in too. fuck all the haters.[/QUOTE]
Again- this is a matter of me buying the system on faith and not because there were immediate releases I wanted- but I haven't been playing mine at all. I got PilotWings and Steel Diver at launch and they took about 4 hours each, and since then I've been bored. I would have much rather waited 5 months, got longer rubber stoppers and saved $90.

(and I don't remember why, but for some reason I wasn't able to claim my amazon freebies, and only got the 2 games at a hard discount.)

[quote name='dragonjud']I think your question has yet to be answered. Nintendo never *officially* said that your downloaded games would be tied to your account only. If they are still functioning as before, Nintendo may still be tagging those games to both your account and some hardware ID (without your knowledge).
I think only time will tell us the answer...[/QUOTE]

they do this with the wii and it's really annoying.

I was hoping it would be fixed for the 3ds because I eventually will get a 3dslite and I want my early adopter games to transfer, dammit!

Hopefully they'll let you transfer your eShop downloads to your new 3DS. Considering that they do this for the DSi and that the GBA games are supposed to be exclusive, I wouldn't expect to have them stuck on your 3DS permanently.

[quote name='pippin']Hopefully they'll let you transfer your eShop downloads to your new 3DS. Considering that they do this for the DSi and that the GBA games are supposed to be exclusive, I wouldn't expect to have them stuck on your 3DS permanently.[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed. Nintendo seems to have taken baby steps with the DSi to 3DS transfer, but it remains to be seen what happens if, let's say, your system with all of the game on it breaks, goes MIA, or is otherwise unusable. That was a big issue for people with that DSi to 3DS transfer... it required the two systems to move the games.

Hopefully the eShop is fixing that.

I posted something fairly reasonable in the deal thread, and it got roundly ignored. I'm shocked. No, really. Sheesh, anyway, just to echo some sentiments in this thread already... I picked it up at launch, and I'd do it again. I've honestly used the 3DS almost every day since I got it, and have no complaints. To think that I've gotten 4 months of good and heavy use out of it plus 20 games that I was likely to drop money on anyway and I'm not all that upset about this. If anything, I'm happy more people might finally stop shitting on the system and give it a chance.

To address the 'lack of games' thing, that's the phrase that keeps honestly pissing me off. The 3DS doesn't have a lack of games, it has a lack of games that *you* want to play. It's, you know, a subjective thing. I've spent the better part of 4 months playing SSF4, Ghost Recon, PilotWings, Ridge Racer, Dead or Alive, Zelda, and RE. To me, the weakest of those is actually Ridge Racer, which is still a pretty good game. To me, seven good-to-great games in 4 months is better than a lot of system launches (hello, DS and PSP), so it just blows my mind when people say the 3DS sucks because it doesn't have games. Different strokes for different folks, apparently.

Like I said, a day where a system I already liked possibly gets more market penetration and I get 20 VC games for systems that had been previously unannounced for the service? It's a good day.

Does not shock me that Nintendo is price dropping the 3DS. Does shock me however how much they are dropping it. Oh and to whomever put "worst system ever" in the tags probably never heard of the CD-I, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, both the Sega CD and 32X, Apple Pippin, and the Atari 5200. Those all make the 3DS look like solid gold.

So...is Nintendo not shipping out 3DS 'till the price drop, or are they telling retailers to not sell any?

Amazon isn't selling it anymore and just has the system for pre-order. Or is it just Amazon that's doing this?

As yet another Day 1 buyer, I got no problem with this big price cut. This move will hopefully lead to more 3rd party support. Looking forward to getting 20 free VC games...considering some NES/GBA games use battery saves. Also delighted to know I'll end up paying less for a Flare Red JP 3DS...I wanna play some of those JP-only games...

[quote name='007']Fingers crossed. Nintendo seems to have taken baby steps with the DSi to 3DS transfer, but it remains to be seen what happens if, let's say, your system with all of the game on it breaks, goes MIA, or is otherwise unusable. That was a big issue for people with that DSi to 3DS transfer... it required the two systems to move the games.

Hopefully the eShop is fixing that.

I posted something fairly reasonable in the deal thread, and it got roundly ignored. I'm shocked. No, really. Sheesh, anyway, just to echo some sentiments in this thread already... I picked it up at launch, and I'd do it again. I've honestly used the 3DS almost every day since I got it, and have no complaints. To think that I've gotten 4 months of good and heavy use out of it plus 20 games that I was likely to drop money on anyway and I'm not all that upset about this. If anything, I'm happy more people might finally stop shitting on the system and give it a chance.

To address the 'lack of games' thing, that's the phrase that keeps honestly pissing me off. The 3DS doesn't have a lack of games, it has a lack of games that *you* want to play. It's, you know, a subjective thing. I've spent the better part of 4 months playing SSF4, Ghost Recon, PilotWings, Ridge Racer, Dead or Alive, Zelda, and RE. To me, the weakest of those is actually Ridge Racer, which is still a pretty good game. To me, seven good-to-great games in 4 months is better than a lot of system launches (hello, DS and PSP), so it just blows my mind when people say the 3DS sucks because it doesn't have games. Different strokes for different folks, apparently.

Like I said, a day where a system I already liked possibly gets more market penetration and I get 20 VC games for systems that had been previously unannounced for the service? It's a good day.[/QUOTE]
You made a nicely-worded informative post, and if you've read through that entire thread, you shouldn't be surprised that it was ignored. There's more garbage in that thread than I've seen on here in a while.

I'm in the same boat as you. Bought my 3DS a day or two after launch, put many hours into several different games, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I'm glad they're dropping the price and I'm extremely excited about all the free games.

I'm sure a lot of the people bitching and moaning about this are the same people that were bitching and moaning about it costing too much at launch.
I'm absolutely convinced that some people are just looking for reasons to be mad all the time. It's like they're not happy unless they're angry.

[quote name='slidecage']less 365 days till it goes to the bargin bin of 99 bucks and nintendo shows the new handheld at E3 2012

TOld you day one this would fail[/QUOTE]
I really don't think they need a new piece of hardware- i think they just need to rebrand the 3DS. They shot themselves in the foot with the name.

Casual players either think it's an updated DS (like the DSi or the XL), or they think it's the same hardware with 3D capabilities.

[quote name='benjamouth']Do people really think Nintendo is worried about the Vita?

A $250 PSP with $40 games, I can see that dying on its arse as well.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. In a poll in Japan just this week, they were really excited for the Vita. The PSP has huge support in Japan, and sells the most units most weeks.

I feel a little sorry for you early adoptors though. It seemed more logical at $199.99. But I did remember saying how much the hardware costs them, and they had a massive profit margin, and I got laughed at, and called stupid, so whatever.

[quote name='elessar123']I feel a little sorry for you early adoptors though. It seemed more logical at $199.99. But I did remember saying how much the hardware costs them, and they had a massive profit margin, and I got laughed at, and called stupid, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

Why feel sorry? Noone forced us to buy anything, and with all the deals on it since launch, I doubt many people(especially on this site) paid anywhere close to full price anyway.

80 bucks over the course of 4 months is nothing. Coffee money.

[quote name='jza1218']I know its not likely but I'd love for baseball stars to be one of the free nes games.[/QUOTE]

loved this game back in the day. if you like this type of baseball and have an Android or iOS device.. check out Baseball Superstars 2011.. seriously fun game.

[quote name='smoger']

80 bucks over the course of 4 months is nothing. Coffee money.[/QUOTE]

yup.

As for profit margins, who cares? You buy something based on what YOU can afford and want to pay for it, not what the company makes on it. Some people have no concept of econ 101.

[quote name='confoosious']yup.

As for profit margins, who cares? You buy something based on what YOU can afford and want to pay for it, not what the company makes on it. Some people have no concept of econ 101.[/QUOTE]

'zactly

[quote name='smoger']loved this game back in the day. if you like this type of baseball and have an Android or iOS device.. check out Baseball Superstars 2011.. seriously fun game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for whatever reason I've never really enjoyed the Baseball Superstars series. I still play Baseball Stars to this day, and a portable version would rock.

I'm not burned by the price drop really.

I'm burned by the fact that I can' take advantage of the BOTH the price drop and the 20 free games with price protection from my local store.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

[quote name='confoosious']The main forum thread on this is full of morons so I thought I'd ask here:

your downloaded games are tied to your account right? So if I download them and end up selling the 3ds later, I get to keep my 20 games? How will they authenticate that you were an early adopter?[/QUOTE]
There is no "account". It's all system based.
One of the biggest weaknesses of the 3DS' online aspect.

3DS eShop

Let's Golf! 3D (Gameloft, $6.99) — The eShop's first properly new downloadable game, Gameloft's golfing
game features six courses, eight characters and 108 holes in total.

Wii Virtual Console

Brawl Brothers (Super NES, Jaleco, 800pts) — A decent side-scrolling beat 'em up on a service that's
approaching maximum occupancy of that particular genre, tussle with our Brawl Brothers review
for an idea of whether this game is worth your points or not.

WiiWare

Burn the Rope (Big Blue Bubble, 1000pts) — The popular iOS game comes to WiiWare with high
resolution graphics, Wii Remote motion controls and over 100 levels.

DSiWare

My Australian Farm (BiP Media, 200pts/$1.99) — Strewth mate, a farming game set Down Under!
You start with an emu before expanding your farm, hopefully even including a kangaroo to tie down.

GO Series: Portable Shrine Wars (Gamebridge, 200pts/$1.99) — Carry a shrine on your back,
charge past others doing the same and fling your teammates at them to become the best
portable shrine carrier there is. Mad we know, but then it's a GO Series game.

Oscar's World Tour (Virtual Playground, 500pts) — A surprise fourth entry in the Oscar platforming
series, this sees the little tyke travel the world over seven levels, collecting baby Oscars.

[quote name='dallow']There is no "account". It's all system based.
One of the biggest weaknesses of the 3DS' online aspect.[/QUOTE]

I recall hearing how some people could mail Nintendo two DSi's back when, and Ninty would transfer DSiware from one to the other. I wonder if they'd do the same with 3DS's?

Yeah, that's a stupid hoop to have to jump through.

3DS does have a '3DS to 3DS' transfer feature that is not yet active "says will be available in a future update".
However, I believe the Japanese PR said these free games are not able to be transferred.

bread's done
Back