Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='2DMention']I noticed the sleep function doesn't work with DS games on the 3DS. Anybody else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

If by sleep mode you mean closing the console and then being able to open it back up to resume your play session, the 3DS can most certainly do that.

As an aside to the sleep mode discussion, I will mention that I've noticed that Aliens: Infestation still, uh, makes a noise if I close the lid.

As in, it sounds like it gets stuck on whatever note the music stopped on and just plays it when the 3DS is shut. That only happens when I close the 3DS without pausing the game. When paused, where there's no music even when playing the game, it's totally okay.

May be unrelated, but it was definitely odd. Also, the game is awesome.

250px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

Bad news, everyone!

Monster Hunter 3G won't have online multiplayer like the previous PSP versions. I guess it saves me from replaying through an upgraded Tri and will wait for Monster Hunter 4 to come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I never expect online multiplayer with Nintendo. And since I don't play games that support it on any platform, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I was hoping for it since getting together with CAGs on the Wii version was a good time. Capcom has made changes to games coming to the US before with adding online to Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and dropping pay to play with Monster Hunter Tri. I just hope 4 doesn't keep up with Capcom's portable online MH trends and that it actually comes out in the US. It's probably just Capcom not wanting to deal with the servers for this enhanced port.

I am enjoying my 3DS right now, I picked up Starfox64 3D, Super monkey Ball and Ghost recon shadow wars. I am going to be busy with these titles till Mario Kart 7 comes out. My fellow bakersfield CAG was right no hits at all on street pass, I dont have a case for it but once I do I'll see if I can get anything while I work.

[quote name='6er']So think we will hear about the rest of the ambassador title soon ?[/QUOTE]

They're having another presser on Friday, so I'd assume they'll give us some kind of info about them then.

[quote name='Mixer236']They're having another presser on Friday, so I'd assume they'll give us some kind of info about them then.[/QUOTE]

Here's the info from IGN about that:

Nintendo to Hold Press Event Friday

Detailing new 3DS features.

October 19, 2011

Nintendo will hold a press event this Friday in Japan. The conference will feature a pre-recorded video presentation by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata.

According to Andriasang, the event is being called a "Nintendo 3DS New Information Internet Presentation." It will be held on Friday, October 21st at 8:00 p.m. in Japan, which is 7:00 a.m. EST (4:00 a.m. PST) in the United States.

The event is expected to cover the 3DS's November firmware update, as well as Mario Kart 7's wireless play features. The entire presentation will be broadcast via Ustream, and links will be available on Nintendo's Japanese site on the 21st.

Stay tuned to IGN for all of the details as they're announced."

Link: http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1210107p1.html

Why would they hold a press conference just to talk about Mario Kart 7 and "new firmware"? Sounds a bit strange to say the least . . . and Amazon.com still does not sell any 3DS systems, this has been going on a few weeks now. I wonder if a new design is coming sooner rather than later? Something's up . . . :whistle2:k

They didn't really cover anything groundbreaking at the last press conference, so I'm not really holding my breath for a huge announcement here.

Plus, it's the holiday season... my guess is they're just going to talk up games and new features (new StreetPass stuff, etc) as a final push.

Any announcement of a redesign would be shooting themselves in the foot at this point, and the add-on basically (to me, anyway) confirms that a re-designed system is at least a year out, if not longer. If it was any sooner, there'd be no point in the half-measure of the add-on.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Why would they hold a press conference just to talk about Mario Kart 7 and "new firmware"? Sounds a bit strange to say the least . . . and Amazon.com still does not sell any 3DS systems, this has been going on a few weeks now. I wonder if a new design is coming sooner rather than later? Something's up . . . :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

It is specifically called an Internet conference. Nintendo will likely be announcing details on internet play for upcoming games, giving some kind of motivation for players to connect to the eShop (in Japan, anyways) and also possibly hinting at the WiiU's online structure.

[quote name='Gden']Cmonnnn.... something good tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, let's see what happens, so far this thing is a disaster. Except for the few Nintendo titles coming up during the Holidays there's little to expect at the moment.

Did anybody notice the videos during today's store update. I redeemed a $20.00 card about 2 months ago, and have yet to find anything worth purchasing, except for that golf game (that's actually based on in iOS game).

So, in today's store update they're selling Dreamworks Halloween themed videos for $2.00 each (two of them are up now). These are like the shorts they show in the movies before the actual main attraction, except that they're in 3-D. I may just buy them 'cause there's nothing else worth buying right now.

[quote name='dragonjud']Hmm, let's see what happens, so far this thing is a disaster. Except for the few Nintendo titles coming up during the Holidays there's little to expect at the moment.

Did anybody notice the videos during today's store update. I redeemed a $20.00 card about 2 months ago, and have yet to find anything worth purchasing, except for that golf game (that's actually based on in iOS game).

So, in today's store update they're selling Dreamworks Halloween themed videos for $2.00 each (two of them are up now). These are like the shorts they show in the movies before the actual main attraction, except that they're in 3-D. I may just buy them 'cause there's nothing else worth buying right now.[/QUOTE]

Ive picked up VC Mario Land and Mario Land 2, Links Awakening, and Donkey Kong. Probably a tad overpriced, but I do place some value on not having to pull out those carts again.

[quote name='foltzie']Ive picked up VC Mario Land and Mario Land 2, Links Awakening, and Donkey Kong. Probably a tad overpriced, but I do place some value on not having to pull out those carts again.[/QUOTE]

Well, I probably should've edited my post. When I got this thing I really was expecting them to come up with original 3D content for the virtual store.
After the failure and mess that was the Dsi store, the 3DS is only living up to those same expectations. I don't care about VC offerings, and refuse to buy anything before the GBA era.

So far, it looks like I'll get through the 1st party offerings, and then sell this thing.

[quote name='dragonjud']Well, I probably should've edited my post. When I got this thing I really was expecting them to come up with original 3D content for the virtual store.
After the failure and mess that was the Dsi store, the 3DS is only living up to those same expectations. I don't care about VC offerings, and refuse to buy anything before the GBA era.

So far, it looks like I'll get through the 1st party offerings, and then sell this thing.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, hold on there. I don't think the DSi store was a failure or anything, I mean it was Nintendo's first entry to a game download service. That in itself was a step forward. Sure, it was time consuming and hard to browse if you didn't know what you were looking for, but there were actually a decent amount of great titles out for it.

Yeah, seriously, there is an assload of really good DSiWare games. Good ones still come out fairly regularly. Thankfully, DSiWare hasn't degraded significantly in quality like WiiWare has (I think piracy is partially to blame).

[quote name='ZombieToast']Yeah, seriously, there is an assload of really good DSiWare games. Good ones still come out fairly regularly. Thankfully, DSiWare hasn't degraded significantly in quality like WiiWare has (I think piracy is partially to blame).[/QUOTE]

Oops. Forgot that I cannot come into Nintendo land and bash anything.
Of course it's great. Why when compared to the offerings on PSN or XBLA the Nintendo online store fronts are awesome.

Wait, let me stop the sarcasm. When compared to PSN and XBLA, Nintendo's online stores are garbage. Yes, there're some good titles, but they're buried amongst piles and piles of manure. And you don't even have videos or demos for all this manure. So, often times you end up knee deep in the stuff before you realize that you should've never purchased it.

The big N needs to start doing something different with their online offerings, and so far it is not looking any better. End of rant.:)

[quote name='dragonjud']Oops. Forgot that I cannot come into Nintendo land and bash anything. [/QUOTE]

No one is saying or implying you can't.

When compared to PSN and XBLA, Nintendo's online stores are garbage.

Most people agree with this. There's backstory to be discussed about this, but why beat the deceased equine.

If you want to know what's good on the service, there's plenty of ways to go about determining this, such as, say, a forum at a website called cheapassgamer.com. Don't willfully act like there's no way at all to gauge what is good and what isn't - there's plenty of people here who would be happy to give opinions. I go for all the Art Style games myself, and they are excellent tidbits of gaming.

[quote name='Strell']No one is saying or implying you can't.

Most people agree with this. There's backstory to be discussed about this, but why beat the deceased equine.

If you want to know what's good on the service, there's plenty of ways to go about determining this, such as, say, a forum at a website called cheapassgamer.com. Don't willfully act like there's no way at all to gauge what is good and what isn't - there's plenty of people here who would be happy to give opinions. I go for all the Art Style games myself, and they are excellent tidbits of gaming.[/QUOTE]

Strell, I often listen to your advice and that's the only reason I ended up with many of the excellent Art Style games.
I don't want to get into an argument over issues that almost everyone understands and knows well. I've supported Nintendo over the years not because I'm just a blind fan, but because they do make quality games.

I probably should've never bought some of the awful Wiiware and DsiWare stuff that I ended up purchasing. I was basically a frustrated parent, because my kid would say 'Daddy, please buy this, it looks cool.' I would then look for a video, review, or demo such an item. Unfortunately, if it was aimed purely at kids, there probably wasn't a whole lot to see on the item before I was coerced into 'just trying it'. Of course, it often ended up being just awful, barely playable stuff. I never understood how some of those games made it past any sort of quality control.

Nintendolife I think reviews or goes over everything in the Nintendo online stores I believe. (pretty much the only place for this kind of info)

I've never checked it out since I know what I'm looking for but that's what usually gets mentioned.

You're making sensible points, dragonjud (added because of Mallowchan's infernal meddling, always ruining my good times), almost everyone agrees with. They need to create a new division to handle all of this stuff.

Sadly, the 3DS's online infrastructure is already getting pushed aside in favor of "maybe the Wii U will fix it." That was the same hope with the 3DS following the DS/Wii, and - as you've said - it's still pretty pitiful, to the point where it's becoming a larger issue. I suspect there's a lot of inner turmoil about this within Nintendo, which is being manifested by this appallingly bad showing. I imagine almost all discourse gets shut down from the top brass (although Iwata seems a bit more clued in recently, which I can't tell if that's good or bad).

So I dunno. After the Art Style stuff, I can't think of much offhand to suggest. I didn't think Shantae was that great, Zenonia can be had for free on other services (and I decided the game was pretty bad anyway), and the more I think about other games to suggest, the more annoying it becomes. I've heard oddly good things about the GG series, which are tiny nubbins of games, and also this Go Go Kokomorphinpowerrangers, or whatever that one was called.

You've got the cash, Nintendo. Buy up 4-5 established small dev houses and set them to making digital stuff. Place someone established in the company at the helm, and give them their own name so they feel like a true branch of a larger tree. Like Nintendelight or something. I dunno. There's always this talk about how Nintendo operates with a large stash of prototypes and experiments sitting on the shelves - bring that shit out. Kids in candy stores; it could happen. You could have 1-2 games a month that are polished on the cheap and no one would have any real right to complain. Hiko-Osu is a good example. Round up some teams and draw from the rather large pool available. You could even remake old stuff in new clothes - Paper Super Mario Bros. Maybe partner up with some of the better flash scene kids out there. Sounds plausible enough to me.

Which makes me think: this must be a lot more difficult to pull off than I'm giving it credit for, at which point I come back to the chicken-or-egg scenario of just how much Nintendo is digging this grave themselves versus it actually being more difficult to initiate.

Bleh.

Im really loving my 3DS but man the store sucks. I have like $90 bucks in newegg gift cards and can't find much to buy for my 3ds other then pre orders.

[quote name='dragonjud']Oops. Forgot that I cannot come into Nintendo land and bash anything.
Of course it's great. Why when compared to the offerings on PSN or XBLA the Nintendo online store fronts are awesome.

Wait, let me stop the sarcasm. When compared to PSN and XBLA, Nintendo's online stores are garbage. Yes, there're some good titles, but they're buried amongst piles and piles of manure. And you don't even have videos or demos for all this manure. So, often times you end up knee deep in the stuff before you realize that you should've never purchased it.

The big N needs to start doing something different with their online offerings, and so far it is not looking any better. End of rant.:)[/QUOTE]
All I was saying was that there are a lot of good games on DSiWare. Of course there's a lot of shit on there too. And of course it's not as good as XBLA (I'd say it's on par with PSN, though). That doesn't change anything. If a good game comes out on DSiWare and then a better game comes out on XBLA, that doesn't mean that the DSiWare game stops being good.

I'm not some crazed fanboy or anything...I just enjoy good games and I feel that DSiWare has a lot of them to offer. The store itself is poorly designed and there is a lot of shovelware to wade through, but there is still a good selection. You can bash it if you want, but I'm allowed to have my opinion as well.

Heh, I agree with all above points as well. I'd never suggest the eshop or DSiWare was better than PSN or XBLA(although I do only own a PS3).

I was simply stating that the DSiWare shop wasn't a failure, and that being because it produced a decent amount of great games that otherwise might not have ever seen the light of day. Is there tons of crap? Oh yeah, you betcha. However, there's tons of crap on XBLA/PSN as well - Maybe not quite as much out of those two, but each of those services has their fair share as well. Also, just to throw it out there, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy(If I had to be one, it'd be for Sony). You're welcome to bash or state your opinions, I'm just merely here to debate them when I see fit.

Also, free of charge, I'll throw in even more suggestions since Strell's memory seems to be lacking at the moment. ;)

The aforementioned Art Style games
Cave Story
Mighty Flip Champs!
Alphabounce
Starship Defense(done by Q-Games of PixelJunk fame)
Aura-Aura Climber
Dark Void Zero
Mario vs. DK: Minis March Again

*clears throat* Just to name a few...

[quote name='Mixer236']
Also, free of charge, I'll throw in even more suggestions since Strell's memory seems to be lacking at the moment. ;)[/QUOTE]

Where did I put the enter key? Oh god, how will I ever make a post without my enter key!

I SWEAR IT WAS RIGHT HERE WHERE I LEFT IT, NEXT TO THE CHAMPAGNE AND FRUIT ROLL UPS

[quote name='dragonjud']
I probably should've never bought some of the awful Wiiware and DsiWare stuff that I ended up purchasing. I was basically a frustrated parent, because my kid would say 'Daddy, please buy this, it looks cool.' I would then look for a video, review, or demo such an item. Unfortunately, if it was aimed purely at kids, there probably wasn't a whole lot to see on the item before I was coerced into 'just trying it'. Of course, it often ended up being just awful, barely playable stuff. I never understood how some of those games made it past any sort of quality control.[/QUOTE]

I believe Go Nintendo takes video of just about everything that gets released on the download services.

I would also say the 3D Classics are novel and there are demo videos up. They are, interesting, and the next time I spring for a points card I'll probably pick one of them up.

is there a place on nintendo's website where you can post requests for games? I started putting in games I'd like to see in the DSiware in all the reviews for nintendo coins. I really just want Yugioh Dungeon Dice monsters and handful of other titles.

I don't think so...

Lots of New Features coming to 3DS this holiday, and I mean A LOT.

- Nintendo Mailbox
- 3D Capture / Youtube Upload
- Hulu Plus
- More Street Pass Puzzles & Quests
- Transfer stuff from 3DS to 3DS

Also, 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think so...

- Nintendo Mailbox
- Hulu Plus

Also, 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh.. Sounds sweet! :)

3-D capture > youtube upload? I thought the 3DS couldn't play youtube videos through their web browser...you means I can haz youtube playing now?

Man that was an underwhelming conference.

No OS level game invites like we thought from the MK video a while back. It's just a separate app for the game.

And the messaging between friends is another app, meaning it can't be used in suspend mode. You'd have to exit a game to message a friend.

[quote name='dallow']
No OS level game invites like we thought from the MK video a while back. It's just a separate app for the game.

And the messaging between friends is another app, meaning it can't be used in suspend mode. You'd have to exit a game to message a friend.[/QUOTE]

This worries me as well. It can't be tied into the OS proper? This is what the Wii did with the Mario Kart channel, which more or less amounts to kernal extensions, which while nice and can serve purposes, are still extensions.

I'm going to hope exiting isn't required, but it's a huge disappointment if it is. There's something to be said about compartmentalization, but this is the same nonsense reasoning behind packaging every VC game with a copy of the emulator to play it instead of having one centralized copy of it that the ROMs are passed to. In other words, this is another round of grafting attachments, nicely paralleled by the second Circle Pad bunko that some of us are still recovering from, a hangover punctuated with a lot of "Itsa me!" and harrowing images of Earthbound carts being burned like propaganda.

Conference was alright and had some fun surprises, but a lot of this screams out "hey look, we're giving you features that absolutely should have been there since day 1."

Ah well. I guess we've got a month to figure out the full deal.

Well, I'm looking forward to the new stuff. I'm perfectly pleased with my 3DS as it is now, so anything added is a bonus to me. It'd be nice if we could send messages without having to exit the game, but I'll probably never use that feature anyway; I've only got one 3DS friend and I don't expect to add many more.

Dsi ware: Pictobits is my favorite puzzle game ever.. after picross I wish it would've gotten a retail release but it might be too odd.

[quote name='deftoast']Dsi ware: Pictobits is my favorite puzzle game ever.. after picross I wish it would've gotten a retail release but it might be too odd.[/QUOTE]

I think Art Style itself could have received a retail release, but the individuals games, not so much.

I'm actually rather surprised that we haven't seen a retail collection yet, much like the Bit.Trip series. I'm willing to bet that it will eventually happen, though.

Seems like some neat stuff coming, I just got my Red 3DS last week. My friends code is 5284 - 1673 - 9747 if anyone wants to add me. PM me if you do so i can add also

- Nintendo Mailbox
- Hulu Plus

And 3D Classics Kid Icarus!!!!!! Whoo hoo!!!!

3D Classic Kirby and Kid Icarus explain why they weren't in the Ambassador program.

We need 3D Classic Pro Wrestling. I want to Starman some jerks in three dimensions.

- Nintendo Mailbox
- Hulu Plus

Incoming hardware revision from the rear! Drop altitude!

- Nintendo Mailbox
- Hulu Plus

Novel, but none of those are system movers for the "core" (XBL/PSN fans) and none of them are system movers for casual gamers. I love Street Pass, but anyone moved by that concept would presumably already have picked up a system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just waiting until next year to personally purchase a Nintendo 3DS, because next year we're hopefully getting Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing 3D and hopefully Paper Mario 3D. Those are really the only three games I REALLY desire for the 3DS at the moment. I'm also not much of a handheld type of gamer and would prefer these to be on the Wii U, but nevertheless those will make me purchase the system.

bread's done
Back