Nintendo E3 2011 Press Conference - Wii U, Luigi's Mansion 2, Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

[quote name='MorPhiend']You don't know what you are talking about. People were whining about it just being a new controller. I said a number of times, "no look under the TV. There is the WiiU." But people were busy bitching. It obviously had rounded edges and was not a Wii. Sure, they didn't highlight the case's design (which is not even a final dev kit, much less a final consumer product), who cares? Then an hour after the conference, people started posting pics of the WiiU. I said, "Yeah, go back to the video presentation and you'll see it under the TV. Welcome to two hours ago..." But everyone just needed a reason to complain. Everyone knew going in that there would be a new console. It was announced at their year-end investor meeting. Everyone and their cat and dog were just looking for a reason to bitch at Nintendo. They would have found the reason no matter what happened in the presentation. Nintendo had a Catch-22 here and I think they handled it as best as could be expected.[/QUOTE]

I think you completely missed the point. Its not that they didn't show it somewhere in their demos, its that they said nothing about it . . . and focused exclusively on the "new innovative" tablet controller. But no talk whatsoever about the WiiU console itself? THATS the point. Iwata later made this statement (after E3):

The console is not drastically different, and Wii U is about the controller. The console itself will be almost invisible.

What does that tell you about the WiiU console? Not much good I'd say.:lol:

[quote name='chimpmeister']What does that tell you about the WiiU console? Not much good I'd say.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Given that we know it's substantially more powerful than the Wii (that's a given, right? No one is saying it's two Wiis taped together?) then I read it as: It's another white box.

[quote name='theflicker']Given that we know it's substantially more powerful than the Wii (that's a given, right? No one is saying it's two Wiis taped together?) then I read it as: It's another white box.[/QUOTE]

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+4890

Wii U GPU is same GPU family as the 4890. Xbox 360 is 1900 XT family, so you can see roughly 2.5x the performance based on this chart.

I'm not sure how the Power7 arch compares to the architecture you see in the xenon (360) and cell (ps3). They are all IBM architectures though and the 360's CPU is actually a modified version of the cell cores.

Weird thing about those comments is that it's Eguchi, who works at EAD. Someone who has never worked on Metroid before. Me thinks Sakamoto may have been authorized a shit-can. Hopefully his last "Metroid" game along with it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']While my experience is limited, pretty much every PS3/360 game I've ever played has had somewhere between impossible and very unpleasant to read text or other scaling issues. This is course relative to previous gen games where this wasnt an issue. Maybe I'm just too demanding.[/QUOTE]

Can we just come back to this point for a moment, please? I mean, what?

[quote name='Rocko']...

Can we just come back to this point for a moment, please? I mean, what?[/QUOTE]

Pretty common. I'm playing red dead redemption on a 55" TV right now and I'll be damned if I can read the text from 10 feet away.

Text is low hanging fruit. Lets consider environmental/HUD scaling for a moment. In any game thats even remotely open, you're going to run into a lot of non-text scaling problems. Valkyria Chronicles is probably not the best example (because its turn based-ish), but it will do. If you take an HD field and downscale it to SD, stuff at mid to long range might as well be on the horizon now, because its now a relatively undiscernable mess. Alternatively, you can use a zoomed view of the environment (from the center) and cut off some of the edges. This lets you make things out in the middle but now you're getting hosed on the sides. In games that arent open and you have borders, you have to make sure the borders dont go off the screen or that your HUD is all in the right place. Its all stuff that takes a lot of extra work and design considerations on the part of the developer, and so its basically not done AT ALL.

Por ejemplo:
Street Fighter 4 - the edges arent quite right.
Blazblue - text in the tutorial is COMPLETELY unreadable. The narrator reads most of it and so you can follow along, but theres a lot of it she DOESNT read.
Any RPG ever - numbers in particular are hard to read (FF13, Blue Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles). Lots of field scaling issues also.

Fighting games are of course the most playable by far because that stuff isnt all that important, and plus you get the bonus of lagless SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rocko']...

Can we just come back to this point for a moment, please? I mean, what?[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing he's playing everything on an SDTV.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm guessing he's playing everything on an SDTV.[/QUOTE]

He must be. Or alternatively a very, very cheapo LCD TV, or a tiny (22" or smaller widescreen) monitor. Or even worse, a 22" or smaller non-widescreen monitor (4:3 aspect ratio). I can see situations like those where the text would be unreadable, but not on most good quality 32"+ LCD/Plasma/LED TVs.

I do most of my non-handheld gaming on a 27" Bell-Howell, circa 1995, through composite. It does have S-video, but I dont use it.

Those zooming/field issues arent inherently problematic. Part of stage design is based on what you want and/or need your players to see or react to at any given time. Theres a stage midway in Valkyria Chronicles where you are in a flat, open battlefield with lots of trenches. Its very difficult to make out whats going on at the top of the next trench and beyond. If you were designing that stage with the SD player in mind, its going to be slightly different.

Its like dual sticks for shooters. While objectively terrible, you can account for its limitations through game design. Like not putting enemy set pieces assuming that you could turn as if you had a mouse, lots of aim-assist features, etc.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Pretty common. I'm playing red dead redemption on a 55" TV right now and I'll be damned if I can read the text from 10 feet away.[/QUOTE]
I think you're sitting too far back to get the full benefit of your TV (assuming it's an HDTV).

I don't recall having trouble with text on RDR either (I wear glasses), so if you haven't recently, perhaps you should get an eye exam.

Nintendo Activates Wii U Related Domain Names

A bit entertaining to look through. Some of these are kind of tongue twisters.

- kirbywii.com
- mariobrosu.com
- newsupermariobrosmii.com
- newsupermariobrosu.com
- rhythmheavenwii.com
- rhythmparadisewii.com
- supermariobrosmii.com
- supermariobrosu.com
- wii-u.com
- wii-u.net
- wiibalanceboardu.com
- wiifitu.com
- wiimusicu.com
- wiipartyu.com
- wiiplayu.com
- wiispeaku.com
- wiisportsu.com
- wiiubalanceboard.com
- wiiufit.com
- wiiumusic.com
- wiiuni.com
- wiiuniverse.net
- wiiuparty.com
- wiiuplay.com
- wiiuremote.com
- wiiuremote.net
- wiiuspeak.com
- wiiusports.com
- wiiuware.com
- wiiuwheel.com
- wiiuzapper.com
- wiiwareu.com
- wiiwheelu.com

While HDTV tech is still garbage, there are some pretty good monitors these days. When my current monitor dies (if ever), I admit I'll be tempted to buy that monitor that they use at EVO.

wii u system spec speculation thought;
the system can't have a high power gpu because of it's size and the need of noise reduction. because the wii u will be close to the same size as a wii, it will be hard to maintain heat if it's a very powerful video card. if it's a powerful video card, than it means a higher fan speed, which means a noisier system, something nintendo does not want. it's hard to say, even with the processor as it hits the same roadblock.

reggie in an interview has said that the console will not support blu-ray, but it will have a high capacity disc system, which i believe is hd-dvd. it is constantly refered as having 25gb, with a dual layer hd-dvd it is 30gb, which comes close to the 25gb reference.
-you also have the constant demand of anti-piracy from nintendo, which hd dvd provides as there are a limited amount of burners that are out there in the market place as well as a limit on the availability of burnable media. there are readers out there in the marketplace but they are just as limited in quantity as the burners. to pirate a game would be a waste of time and money.

the control screen is fine that it isn't hd. the screen size is 6 inches. having a screen 6 inches to have 720/1080 is irrelevent because it's small and it's hard to see the difference.
-it is not trying to be an ipad or similar because the controller is tethered to the console and interacts along with the tv as well, which the ipad does not do. with an ipad, you can leave the house and go anywhere. with the wii u, you're confined within your house or near the console.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I do most of my non-handheld gaming on a 27" Bell-Howell, circa 1995, through composite. It does have S-video, but I dont use it.

Those zooming/field issues arent inherently problematic. Part of stage design is based on what you want and/or need your players to see or react to at any given time. Theres a stage midway in Valkyria Chronicles where you are in a flat, open battlefield with lots of trenches. Its very difficult to make out whats going on at the top of the next trench and beyond. If you were designing that stage with the SD player in mind, its going to be slightly different.

Its like dual sticks for shooters. While objectively terrible, you can account for its limitations through game design. Like not putting enemy set pieces assuming that you could turn as if you had a mouse, lots of aim-assist features, etc.[/QUOTE]

That pretty much explains it. You need to move on from SD to HD gaming. No reason to complain, you're way behind the curve on upgrading your hardware.

Nah. The games are overwhelmingly not for me and I've got at least a 2 decades worth of PS1/PS2/DS backlog. Plus I play games on PC occasionally. If an HDTV fell in my lap I would probably sell it for cash monies.

[quote name='chimpmeister']That pretty much explains it. You need to move on from SD to HD gaming. No reason to complain, you're way behind the curve on upgrading your hardware.[/QUOTE]

Read his user title. This argument has been going on with his brain since the announcement of the original Wii.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']wii u system spec speculation thought;
the system can't have a high power gpu because of it's size and the need of noise reduction. because the wii u will be close to the same size as a wii, it will be hard to maintain heat if it's a very powerful video card. if it's a powerful video card, than it means a higher fan speed, which means a noisier system, something nintendo does not want. it's hard to say, even with the processor as it hits the same roadblock.[/QUOTE]

I think they already roughly have the specs of the graphics card. It's roughly a card from 2008.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']reggie in an interview has said that the console will not support blu-ray, but it will have a high capacity disc system, which i believe is hd-dvd. it is constantly refered as having 25gb, with a dual layer hd-dvd it is 30gb, which comes close to the 25gb reference.[/QUOTE]

It's more likely that it's more similar to a bluray than HD-DVD, especially because of the the 25GB mentioned.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']-it is not trying to be an ipad or similar because the controller is tethered to the console and interacts along with the tv as well, which the ipad does not do.[/QUOTE]

iPad can interact with the TV.

[quote name='omster']
- wiiubalanceboard.com[/I][/QUOTE]

I read that as wii unbalanced board :lol: :applause:

[quote name='JSiggy']I read that as wii unbalanced board :lol: :applause:[/QUOTE]

This makes me think the next Wii Fit will be more in-your-face about calling someone fat.

U fat
Wii think U fat
Get off U fattie

Set against an ill soundtrack of Beastie Boys.

[quote name='pjb16']I think you're sitting too far back to get the full benefit of your TV (assuming it's an HDTV).

I don't recall having trouble with text on RDR either (I wear glasses), so if you haven't recently, perhaps you should get an eye exam.[/QUOTE]

RDR is the only one I've had trouble with. It's the font that they use.

Some of you should check out the text in all Capcom games and Gran Turismo 5 at a 480i/p resolution. WOOF is all I have to say.

[quote name='KingBroly']Some of you should check out the text in all Capcom games and Gran Turismo 5 at a 480i/p resolution. WOOF is all I have to say.[/QUOTE]
Oh god don't remind me. The original Dead Rising on a SD TV was painful. I love not being able to read text, because of your font size :lol:.

[quote name='klwillis45']No DVD or Blu-Ray playback on the Wii U.

I get the reasoning but wouldn't offering it as an option like the original Xbox be a much smarter way to play it?[/QUOTE]

well, anyone who even thought there'd be bluray is an idiot.

As for DVD, it's a minor inconvenience and they figure it's not worth the extra expense since lack of dvd support didn't affect wii sales one bit.

[quote name='confoosious']well, anyone who even thought there'd be bluray is an idiot.

As for DVD, it's a minor inconvenience and they figure it's not worth the extra expense since lack of dvd support didn't affect wii sales one bit.[/QUOTE]

Well the disc is probably Bluray give the indication of a 25GB storage size. But yes, Nintendo saves some scratch (and some wear and tear I guess) on now allowing disk based media playback.

DVD playback was a big deal for the PS2 because at that time, DVD players weren't exactly commonplace. It was very plausible that the PS2 might be a household's only DVD player. Nowadays, come on. Nobody needs their Wii to be able to watch a DVD.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think they should've said during the Conference 'this is at least 10 months off, probably closer to 17.' They should've also shown off AT LEAST one game to get me pumped and go "OH SHIT! DAY 1!" I know Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 3 for Wii U during the Zelda roundtable, but I highly doubt it'll be in the first 3 months of the system's launch.

Wii U will still have a very good third party lineup for launch next year if it launches in November just because of the current third party content coming out for it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']Why? Everyone already knew it wasn't gonna happen till at least Q3 of next year based on their commentary for the financial sector.

Also, they can't promise anything day 1 unless they're 100% sure. That'd be stupid. Yes, everything is laid out in a development schedule, but deadlines are missed all the time. If they promised (or even hinted) at any game that makes you (or others) go OH SHIT as a launch title, then they have to deliver it day 1. Would you delay the launch of a console because you committed to some game 12 months in advance when you didn't have to?

Underpromise and overdeliver.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why i'm picking out this comment. But WTF is with all the bickering in this in thread? And nintendo threads in general? It seems that some in this so called nintendo defense force feel the need to make a counter-argument to every single little criticism of anything nintnedo. Even if its a pretty harmless and valid comment.

So, here goes criticism of your harmless criticism of harmless criticism. Lets see how many we can get up to!

They can show a game video without it being a launch title. Showing what a mario or zelda could look like, and how it could actually use and benefit from the controller would have been good. More then 3 seconds of that zelda would have been great for a lot of people to see. Instead, they showed a bunch of 3rd party games coming soon for x-box and ps3. That looked just like x-box and ps3, because they were videos of x-box and ps3.

There have been arguments that this is done all the time, that E3 doesn't matter anymore. But it was still a crappy reveal. No matter how many excuses for the crappy reveal you come up with, the overwhelming concensus of the reveal was that it was crap. And that has affected the stock, and possibly the perception of the Wii U. That is nintendo's fault, and they have admited that fault.

So why are people still trying to defend it? Nintendo Execs even say it was a poor showing, with less excuses than im seeing here

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Nah. The games are overwhelmingly not for me and I've got at least a 2 decades worth of PS1/PS2/DS backlog. Plus I play games on PC occasionally. If an HDTV fell in my lap I would probably sell it for cash monies.[/QUOTE]

And that guy playing on SD TV, and saying its better than crap HDTV's. Probably best you just stick with the Wii. The Wii U is going to have the same "my game looks weird and I can't read anything" problem

[quote name='Xenogears']...[/QUOTE]

Let me ask you the opposite question. Why is it so many people are so quick to blast nintendo for something that sony and microsoft also do, yet get mostly a pass?

----

also, "Nintendo designer Katsuya Eguchi confirms that the Wii U will use a proprietary high-density optical disc format that isn't Blu-Ray."

[quote name='confoosious']Let me ask you the opposite question. Why is it so many people are so quick to blast nintendo for something that sony and microsoft also do, yet get mostly a pass?[/QUOTE]

cause they arn't', and they don't is the easiest answer

[quote name='Xenogears']cause they arn't', and they don't is the easiest answer[/QUOTE]

I'm not even sure what that means.

My point is that microsoft showcased demos (working demos) on a kiosk with the xbox 360 peeking out and an apple g5 behind the scenes. Yet, the haters say this is ok because microsoft and apple aren't rivals. :roll:

Nintendo shows games on a highlight reel of 360 and ps3 footage, which they readily admitted to, and yet they get blasted for it incessantly for being weak and shady..

My point is that the haters come out in droves when nintendo is involved. So along with that comes the defense force.

chicken? egg?

People blast nintendo for the dumbest shit (just read any of metaphysicalstyles posts in this thread) -- speculation on a console that's 12 months away and where they have no real or direct knowledge. Dumb haters are the cause of the conflict, even if it's the defense force that escalates it.

[quote name='confoosious']Dumb haters are the cause of the conflict, even if it's the defense force that escalates it.[/QUOTE]

The notion that microsoft and sony never get critisized is a joke. Even that they get critisized less, or get more "passes" is still just your opinion. Just read all the jokes about the PS3 E3 reveal, and then the responses here about "leave nintendo alone, it was a good reveal" to see hypocracy. But your sentence above makes it pretty pointless.

Here is another theory: its peons who overzealously defend nintendo from genuine and truthful criticism that are the cause of the conflict. With the success of the wii alot of people got rich, and effectively bought off by nintendo. Their objectivity about the console and it's merits were thrown away for the sake of pumping the nintendo hype, and continuing to cash in on the flock of casual gamers buying the hyped game system that was "for them". Their opinion on gaming message boards is pointless, and belongs on e-trade more than CAG. I knew people that fit this description. So I know it happened. I wonder how much though.

Just seeing all the financial talk about nintendo on a gaming message board disgusts me. Seeing people use financial data to defend a game system and it's games is even worse. And if its get rich quick vultures that try to steam roll valid criticism and concerns for the sake of their profits, that is really shady. Nintendo execs have said THEY created a divide and conflict with the Wii. So if anyone is the cause of the conflict, its nintendo, nintendo's decisions, and the pump and dump traders hyping those decisions.

Unlike you, i am not trying to take a stance on which came first, chicken or egg, hater or blind zealot. But i guess what i am saying is mo money mo problems. Nintendo's success, and the vultures that latched on to it are the biggest cause of the "conflict" in my opinion.

And back to the initial point I was trying to make. "Nintendo defense squad", you can't win em all. Save your defense for the stupid attacks, and let the valid critiques and comments go. And for those of you that are defending them and their company, without having owned stock and gotten rich from it, know that others did. Investors getting rich milking the casual. And you won't see a dime.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm not even sure what that means.

My point is that microsoft showcased demos (working demos) on a kiosk with the xbox 360 peeking out and an apple g5 behind the scenes. Yet, the haters say this is ok because microsoft and apple aren't rivals. :roll:[/QUOTE]

A huge difference is that those games don't exist on the Mac, which means even though their demo and early development was on a G5, it's still their development.

With Nintendo, the footage was games built for, and running on those systems. It wasn't a Nintendo-specific build.

If Microsoft demoed The Last Story on the Wii when announcing it, people would have gone ape shit too. Not saying they will, just giving a hypothetical situation that'd be similar.

This thread could really use a few pages of animated gifs of coolio.

All I got's a plain vanilla jpg.

Coolio_1019368a.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']
also, "Nintendo designer Katsuya Eguchi confirms that the Wii U will use a proprietary high-density optical disc format that isn't Blu-Ray."[/QUOTE]

I would love to know what other higher density disk format is available. Call it a Blue-Laser based disk then ;-)

[quote name='foltzie']I would love to know what other higher density disk formate is available. Call it a Blue-Laser based disk then ;-)[/QUOTE]
HD-DVD? :lol:

[quote name='Xenogears']The notion that microsoft and sony never get critisized is a joke. Even that they get critisized less, or get more "passes" is still just your opinion. Just read all the jokes about the PS3 E3 reveal, and then the responses here about "leave nintendo alone, it was a good reveal" to see hypocracy. But your sentence above makes it pretty pointless.[/QUOTE]
That is not what he said, can you not read, or do you deliberately misinterpret things as part of the troll defense force.

Have you guys looked at the Wii U pictures...

...the back is a Wii with an HDMI port

...the Wii was a Gamecube 1.5

...so the Wii U is a Wii 1.5

...which would make it Gamecube 2 lol

[quote name='confoosious']My point is that microsoft showcased demos (working demos) on a kiosk with the xbox 360 peeking out and an apple g5 behind the scenes. Yet, the haters say this is ok because microsoft and apple aren't rivals. :roll:

Nintendo shows games on a highlight reel of 360 and ps3 footage, which they readily admitted to, and yet they get blasted for it incessantly for being weak and shady..[/QUOTE]

False equivalence.

[quote name='foltzie']Well the disc is probably Bluray give the indication of a 25GB storage size. But yes, Nintendo saves some scratch (and some wear and tear I guess) on now allowing disk based media playback.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Even though the Wii was the most durable of this gen's 3 home consoles, by far, there were still some issues with the first shipments that showed up down the line. I tend to absolutely adore Nintendo's 'revised' home consoles (SFC, GCN) and from the sounds of it and Nintendo's recent approach to first party software I have very, very high hopes for WiiU. I'm already planning on keeping a nice WiiU collection so I'd like for the machine to last as long as possible.

Have you guys looked at the Wii U pictures...

...the back is a Wii with an HDMI port

...the Wii was a Gamecube 1.5

...so the Wii U is a Wii 1.5

...which would make it Gamecube 2 lol

[quote name='confoosious']Would be hilarious.

Btw I heard the new xbox format only gave them an extra gb? Wtf?[/QUOTE]

Wait...what's wrong with MS finding a way to utilize the same DVD drives and also give developers an extra GB of storage?

It's win/win for everybody.

[quote name='zewone']Wait...what's wrong with MS finding a way to utilize the same DVD drives and also give developers an extra GB of storage?

It's win/win for everybody.[/QUOTE]

Seems like he's thinking it's a new disc format, not a new way to format data on the disc. The latter is true, and as I understand it, they removed a lot of copy protection filler. Dual layer discs are still only 9.4 GB total, so freeing up a GB is a big deal.

Makes me think that MS expects the 360 to have a few more years life if they even bothered to do this, as the next iteration will almost assuredly be Blu Ray.

bread's done
Back