Nintendo E3 2011 Press Conference - Wii U, Luigi's Mansion 2, Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

[quote name='Anexanhume']Seems like he's thinking it's a new disc format, not a new way to format data on the disc. The latter is true, and as I understand it, they removed a lot of copy protection filler. Dual layer discs are still only 9.4 GB total, so freeing up a GB is a big deal.

Makes me think that MS expects the 360 to have a few more years life if they even bothered to do this, as the next iteration will almost assuredly be Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

no seems like he knows they are still using the same old DVDs just using them more efficiently

there isnt much you can do with 1GB

in terms of adding game content...

if you go to your 360 HDD, youll see those COD/Halo Map Packs are around 500mb avg for 3 maps so you get 6 extra maps

they did it for added security measures

[quote name='confoosious']Why is it so many people are so quick to blast nintendo for something that sony and microsoft also do, yet get mostly a pass?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Xenogears']The notion that microsoft and sony never get critisized is a joke. Even that they get critisized less, or get more "passes" is still just your opinion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='itachiitachi']That is not what he said, can you not read, or do you deliberately misinterpret things as part of the troll defense force.[/QUOTE]

In this and other comments he is implying that microsoft and sony would not get critisized for the same shady behaviour. Which is completely false. And he is SAYING microsoft and sony get more passes and less critisized. Which I say is simply his opinion. Which is completely true.

So...whats your problem? Can you not read? Or you just want to post pointless misinterpretations to label me a troll?

[quote name='Xenogears']In this and other comments he is implying that microsoft and sony would not get critisized for the same shady behaviour. Which is completely false. And he is SAYING microsoft and sony get more passes and less critisized. Which I say is simply his opinion. Which is completely true.

So...whats your problem? Can you not read? Or you just want to post pointless misinterpretations to label me a troll?[/QUOTE]

dont mean to butt in, but thats all your opinion also...

...:bouncy:

[quote name='CaptainKirk']no seems like he knows they are still using the same old DVDs just using them more efficiently

there isnt much you can do with 1GB

in terms of adding game content...

if you go to your 360 HDD, youll see those COD/Halo Map Packs are around 500mb avg for 3 maps so you get 6 extra maps

they did it for added security measures[/QUOTE]

A lot of DLC is under 1 GB. For instance, every ME2 add-on except Lair of the Shadow Broker.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-d802454108ce?DownloadType=GameAddon#LiveZone

[quote name='zewone']Wait...what's wrong with MS finding a way to utilize the same DVD drives and also give developers an extra GB of storage?

It's win/win for everybody.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Anexanhume']Seems like he's thinking it's a new disc format, not a new way to format data on the disc. The latter is true, and as I understand it, they removed a lot of copy protection filler. Dual layer discs are still only 9.4 GB total, so freeing up a GB is a big deal.

Makes me think that MS expects the 360 to have a few more years life if they even bothered to do this, as the next iteration will almost assuredly be Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read that the extra 1GB was to put in better copy protection as well as allow developers more space.

I have no problem with it. I just thought the new format was going to be a much better improvement in space (I was actually wondering how they could pull that off) so that there'd be less disc switching.

Fantastic article on Gamespot about exactly what is being discussed in this thread, and it covers a lot of the points some of us are making about Nintendo. The title of the article is "Reality Check: The Dangers of Gimmick Gaming", and yes it is in reference to yet another gimmick that Nintendo is pimping with the WiiU, the oversized tablet controller. Here's the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/63...immick-gaming/?tag=updates;editor;all;title;4

[quote name='confoosious']I thought I read that the extra 1GB was to put in better copy protection as well as allow developers more space.

I have no problem with it. I just thought the new format was going to be a much better improvement in space (I was actually wondering how they could pull that off) so that there'd be less disc switching.[/QUOTE]

Their copy protection has advanced to the point where it doesn't need that extra space. They have instead decided to give that space back for storage. A DL DVD has a max capacity of 9.4GBs. They wouldn't be able to add much space so 1GB is actually a nice size of the disc to utilize. This could lead to more room for better compression or extra maps/levels. And they did it without it even being a necessity.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Fantastic article on Gamespot about exactly what is being discussed in this thread, and it covers a lot of the points some of us are making about Nintendo. The title of the article is "Reality Check: The Dangers of Gimmick Gaming", and yes it is in reference to yet another gimmick that Nintendo is pimping with the WiiU, the oversized tablet controller. Here's the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/63...immick-gaming/?tag=updates;editor;all;title;4[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty weak article actually. He praises the dual screen of the DS and the motion controls of the Wii and then goes to be "cautious" about the Wii U implementing the very same concepts. This is based on tech demos and a decade old secondary feature (GBA-GCN link). Solid.

Another point, Nintendo has delivered plenty of great and acclaimed content. Besides this year so far, I don't know what he is talking about.

The gamespot article missed one point, the Wiimote didnt need its own system, other than the Wii presented a clean break with which to build upon. It worked, it is no wonder Nintendo is basically trying again with the Wii U tablet.

Full article here:

What we found over the years when we included a lot of different colors in our hardware is people would kind of point to that and use it to paint us as more kid-oriented. So really what we looked at is what are some ways from a design perspective that can make the system appeal to all ages One of the ways that we found to best do that is to minimize the use of color. In that process we asked if we’re going to do that, what’s the best way to go? We found that rather than going all black - all white seems to have a broader appeal to people.

God hell ass damnit. Looks like I'll be double dipping AGAIN.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Full article here:
What we found over the years when we included a lot of different colors in our hardware is people would kind of point to that and use it to paint us as more kid-oriented. So really what we looked at is what are some ways from a design perspective that can make the system appeal to all ages One of the ways that we found to best do that is to minimize the use of color. In that process we asked if we’re going to do that, what’s the best way to go? We found that rather than going all black - all white seems to have a broader appeal to people.
God hell ass damnit. Looks like I'll be double dipping AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

Translation. White sells the best so we'll hold off other colors until we need a bit of a gimmick to pop the numbers*.

*In the case of the 3DS that would be about 5 months in...

[quote name='omster']That's a pretty weak article actually. He praises the dual screen of the DS and the motion controls of the Wii and then goes to be "cautious" about the Wii U implementing the very same concepts. This is based on tech demos and a decade old secondary feature (GBA-GCN link). Solid.
[/QUOTE]

The article praised nothing. It presented facts on each system, nothing more. You are reading between the lines.

[quote name='Corvin']The article praised nothing. It presented facts on each system, nothing more. You are reading between the lines.[/QUOTE]

DS: "By implementing touch-screen controls and two screens, it opened the door for a new way to play games. Once developers realized the wealth of possibilities at their fingertips, the quality of games soared, and the system flew off store shelves."

Wii: "Although the console was underpowered compared to its peers, the motion control system was indeed a revolution."

Maybe praise wasn't the right word, but if the DS brought out new potential and the Wii changed gaming, isn't adding the DS's concept to the Wii a good thing?

Of course the system in the end will be measured on its software content. It's far too early to judge, but from my experience using a DS at the least, a second screen can enhance gameplay. Even if it makes the game more fluid by simply adding a map/hud. The only difference this time is scale (such as iPhone to the iPad).

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Have you guys looked at the Wii U pictures...

...the back is a Wii with an HDMI port

...the Wii was a Gamecube 1.5

...so the Wii U is a Wii 1.5

...which would make it Gamecube 2 lol[/QUOTE]

What is up with the Wii U having no ethernet port? Forcing everyone to be on a wireless network is really lame, how much can it cost to just add the ethernet port and interface hardware? $5 or less? WTF? And btw yes I have FIOS and decent wireless, but I operate my consoles on wired ethernet since the router is right nearby and its much faster to run on wires.

[quote name='chimpmeister']About right, but what is up with the Wii U having no ethernet port? Forcing everyone to be on a wireless network is really lame, how much can it cost to just add the ethernet port and interface hardware? $5 or less? WTF?[/QUOTE]

If they added an ethernet port, they wouldn't be able to sell a LAN adapter to people without wireless networks.

I believe it will have 4 USB ports and the prototypes don't reflect that at moment. It could have ethernet added in the final hardware, but who knows?

[quote name='omster']
Maybe praise wasn't the right word, but if the DS brought out new potential and the Wii changed gaming, isn't adding the DS's concept to the Wii a good thing?
[/QUOTE]

DS: By implementing touch-screen controls and two screens, it opened the door for a new way to play games. Fact

Once developers realized the wealth of possibilities at their fingertips, the quality of games soared, Fact

the system flew off store shelves Fact

There are no opinions or praise there. Those are all factual statements.

Wii: Although the console was underpowered compared to its peers, the motion control system was indeed a revolution. ~ The susequent section talks about bringing in casuals and selling like crazy, so in that regard, it would be a factual statement.

I was merely pointing out that it's not a "weak article" like you said. Given how well motion went over with the hardcore crowd on the Wii, I think caution is the right stance to take in regards to the WiiU.

This statement used to describe DS:
By implementing touch-screen controls and two screens, it opened the door for a new way to play games. Once developers realized the wealth of possibilities at their fingertips, the quality of games soared, the system flew off store shelves.

If touch-screen controls and two screens increased potential and quality in the DS, it means it is a proven concept and enhanced the device experience. So why is the very same idea a gimmick when applied to the the Wii U? Where is the danger here? Why the double standard?

[quote name='omster']This statement used to describe DS:
By implementing touch-screen controls and two screens, it opened the door for a new way to play games. Once developers realized the wealth of possibilities at their fingertips, the quality of games soared, the system flew off store shelves.

If touch-screen controls and two screens increased potential and quality in the DS, it means it is a proven concept and enhanced the device experience. So why is the very same idea a gimmick when applied to the the Wii U? Where is the danger here? Why the double standard?[/QUOTE]

A handheld with two screens (in which the 2nd screen is often of dubious value, and often unnecessary) is a far cry from a home console where you are playing games on a (typically) fairly large single screen in your home. THe Wii U tablet controller just looks like yet one more attempt by Nintendo to add a "hook" to their hardware to reel people in and buy it.

I believe Nintendo realizes that they can't compete in terms of pure technology and hardware design (they haven't for many years), so they throw in some new and "innovative" gimmick to try to boost sales. The problem is that very often these gimmicks just don't pan out, and end up not really improving games. An example, in Metal Slug on the Wii, shaking the controller to throw a grenade is a silly attempt to use the motion controls just for the sake of using them, and it actually detracts from gameplay (doesn't help at all, its just annoying).

If I want a handheld tablet-based game system, which includes extra controls such as the analog sticks on the Wii U tablet, then I would buy just that (and such an enhanced tablet may be a gaming platform for the future, for sure). However, having a tablet connected to a home console is kind of silly; anything you need to interact with is right on the big screen, you don't need the tablet, just a controller.

Nintendo is trying TOO HARD to make "new and innovative" peripherals and hardware, and more often than not this stuff is just a waste of time and money. This was true on the Wii, which ultimately failed to really offer any great new concepts, although Sony and Microsoft realized the casual potential and introduced their own motion controls. And it is true on the 3DS IMO, in which the 3D gimmick is the big selling point, but really doesn't add much to the games (and actually causes problems with extended use or if you aren't viewing at the right angle/distance).

I own all the older Nintendo systems (NES, SNES, N64, GBASP) and many games for them, but from the Gamecube forward, I passed on all of their new stuff; none of the new gimmicks reeled me in, and it just wasn't worth the effort. If they just focused on games alone, they'd be a lot better off; they should go the way of Sega and become a game developer/publisher only, and skip the hardware, since they just don't design good systems anymore, and haven't for many years.

[quote name='chimpmeister']What is up with the Wii U having no ethernet port? Forcing everyone to be on a wireless network is really lame, how much can it cost to just add the ethernet port and interface hardware? $5 or less? WTF? And btw yes I have FIOS and decent wireless, but I operate my consoles on wired ethernet since the router is right nearby and its much faster to run on wires.[/QUOTE]

talk about being backward! everyone kept saying the wii was backward with having less graphics. now that the wii is having next generation hardware, people are saying nintendo is too futuristic.

[quote name='chimpmeister']What is up with the Wii U having no ethernet port? Forcing everyone to be on a wireless network is really lame, how much can it cost to just add the ethernet port and interface hardware? $5 or less? WTF? And btw yes I have FIOS and decent wireless, but I operate my consoles on wired ethernet since the router is right nearby and its much faster to run on wires.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is confirmed (or even mentioned by Nintendo AFAIK) but it's pretty likely you'll be able to use the same USB ethernet adapter that was available for the Wii.

As for the '$5 or less' you have to think in terms of scale. Nintendo is probably hoping to sell at least 50 million WiiU units worldwide or more. I cannot imagine it is worth $250 million just to support a fraction of consumers.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']people are saying nintendo is too futuristic.[/QUOTE]

No they arn't. They are saying nintendo is stupid/greedy to not include the option of a basic cable connenction. But like you said, they get more money by cutting features yet charging for them anyway, so thats the plan

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']talk about being backward! everyone kept saying the wii was backward with having less graphics. now that the wii is having next generation hardware, people are saying nintendo is too futuristic.[/QUOTE]

Huh? How does the Wii 2 have "next generation hardware" when it is reputedly going to have a 2008-era graphics chip? And I guarantee you that Nintendo will cheap out on: System RAM, Video RAM, internal storage (looks like no hard drive YET AGAIN), CPU, etc. on the Wii U. All of this so they can make a profit on every console made at launch, never mind that the hardware will be instantly substandard vs. the latest real technology. Its all about greed, they could give a sh*t about gamers, they just want to make money. Its already looking like the Wii U won't be substantially different from the Wii itself (besides HD capability), Iwata said it himself! What does that tell you about their desire to build a console that will last well into the future? Not very promising!

[quote name='chimpmeister']A handheld with two screens (in which the 2nd screen is often of dubious value, and often unnecessary) is a far cry from a home console where you are playing games on a (typically) fairly large single screen in your home. THe Wii U tablet controller just looks like yet one more attempt by Nintendo to add a "hook" to their hardware to reel people in and buy it.

I believe Nintendo realizes that they can't compete in terms of pure technology and hardware design (they haven't for many years), so they throw in some new and "innovative" gimmick to try to boost sales. The problem is that very often these gimmicks just don't pan out, and end up not really improving games. An example, in Metal Slug on the Wii, shaking the controller to throw a grenade is a silly attempt to use the motion controls just for the sake of using them, and it actually detracts from gameplay (doesn't help at all, its just annoying).

If I want a handheld tablet-based game system, which includes extra controls such as the analog sticks on the Wii U tablet, then I would buy just that (and such an enhanced tablet may be a gaming platform for the future, for sure). However, having a tablet connected to a home console is kind of silly; anything you need to interact with is right on the big screen, you don't need the tablet, just a controller.

Nintendo is trying TOO HARD to make "new and innovative" peripherals and hardware, and more often than not this stuff is just a waste of time and money. This was true on the Wii, which ultimately failed to really offer any great new concepts, although Sony and Microsoft realized the casual potential and introduced their own motion controls. And it is true on the 3DS IMO, in which the 3D gimmick is the big selling point, but really doesn't add much to the games (and actually causes problems with extended use or if you aren't viewing at the right angle/distance).

I own all the older Nintendo systems (NES, SNES, N64, GBASP) and many games for them, but from the Gamecube forward, I passed on all of their new stuff; none of the new gimmicks reeled me in, and it just wasn't worth the effort. If they just focused on games alone, they'd be a lot better off; they should go the way of Sega and become a game developer/publisher only, and skip the hardware, since they just don't design good systems anymore, and haven't for many years.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about shifting through the points you made (some I disagree, some agreeable, some irrelevant). But since you claim the fact two screens are pointless because you said so and without even owning a DS, it's hard hard to take you seriously. EDIT: I apologize, I misread your post. I missed the word "often" and I would agree that it can be completely unnecessary at times. Personally, the most important use I have seen for it, is a map or hub in a complex game. It can make the gameplay flow more better.

Also, if you're not going to get the Wii U already there is no need to worry about a feature missing in a console you wouldn't use(ethernet). This is assuming Nintendo's consoles don't actually reel you in anymore and aren't even "worth the effort." If the Gamecube didn't interest you, there isn't a reason why a similar successor would grab your attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy ish. There are a lot of short essay post in this thread. I guess some people just want Nintendo to be like everyone else but better at the same time :lol:

The company is never going to change. I feel like they won't sell consoles at a lost with cutting edge technology because unlike Sony and MS, Nintendo doesn't have other divisions/subsidiaries (Microsoft Software, Sony Entertainment, Sony Music, etc) to fall back on incase a product flops and they need to recover. I'm just going to take them as they are, a supplement for my gaming hobby.

Ignoring my own advice out of boredom for a moment....

Chimpmeister, can I ask you a question or two?

What motivates you to post every pessimistic or negative-sounding statement/article you could find online with such regularity? I could see people post such comments randomly but not often like you do. Just curious (and somewhat fascinated).

Do you have any degree of intent to buy either Wii U or 3DS? If not, what are you looking for that'd change your mind? If there's nothing to change your mind, then what brings you back here often? Sadism? :)

This isn't a personal attack at all. I don't know you well but having seen numerous posts of yours in both Wii and 3DS sections...most, if not all, being about Nintendo in a bad light. I welcome criticism but do question the motivation behind yours.

(Sorry, guys & gals...if this is going to lead to yet another longwinded flame war.... :))

[quote name='chimpmeister']Huh? How does the Wii 2 have "next generation hardware" when it is reputedly going to have a 2008-era graphics chip? And I guarantee you that Nintendo will cheap out on: System RAM, Video RAM, internal storage (looks like no hard drive YET AGAIN), CPU, etc. on the Wii U. All of this so they can make a profit on every console made at launch, never mind that the hardware will be instantly substandard vs. the latest real technology. Its all about greed, they could give a sh*t about gamers, they just want to make money. Its already looking like the Wii U won't be substantially different from the Wii itself (besides HD capability), Iwata said it himself! What does that tell you about their desire to build a console that will last well into the future? Not very promising![/QUOTE]

that's weird! the ps3 was ubber high tech and everyone bitched about the price. when the next sony console comes out, it'll be near at the same price as the ps3 and you'll bitch again about having to pay such high prices for the latest tech. the ps3 also became substandard, it got reduced to shreds [no ps2 playback] than the company decided to rip the console of it's features bit by bit simply to earn enough money after losing all the money they made from the ps2 [trying to make money and be greedy].

ethernet port is so old. do people still crave for wired controllers? when rumble was removed on the ps3, did people cheered?

sorry but no ethernet port is stupid as fuck as ignorant as some people want to believe its not necessary, just as its stupid to not offer wireless as well. the original 360 didnt have wireless built in and was criticized for it so therefore Nintendo should not get special treatment when they dont include something either if it ends up being true in regards to the connectivity department

[quote name='Mad D']

The company is never going to change. I feel like they won't sell consoles at a lost with cutting edge technology because unlike Sony and MS, Nintendo doesn't have other divisions/subsidiaries (Microsoft Software, Sony Entertainment, Sony Music, etc) to fall back on incase a product flops and they need to recover. I'm just going to take them as they are, a supplement for my gaming hobby.[/QUOTE]

you're right, Nintendo doesn't have subsidiaries to fall back on, they have something better, billions upon billions in cold hard cash thanks to the Wii and DS. There's no reason they can't compete.

Your last point is a good one and probably a source of all this in-fighting. Longtime fans want a console to supplant all others when in reality Nintendo consoles are never going to be more then a secondary console. The days of Nintendo being the primary console are long gone. Once people learn to accept that it will be easier to move on.

[quote name='Corvin']Your last point is a good one and probably a source of all this in-fighting. Longtime fans want a console to supplant all others when in reality Nintendo consoles are never going to be more then a secondary console. The days of Nintendo being the primary console are long gone. Once people learn to accept that it will be easier to move on.[/QUOTE]

If Nintendo can manage strong 3rd party support, I most certainly think that it can be a "primary console", especially among families with young kids. (If there is such a thing anymore as a primary console. How many people on this forum own more than one console?)

I want to take some issue with the article:

Nintendo couldn't just announce a more-powerful system with a traditional controller and call it a day.

I'd argue that all the console makers are going to have that issue. Is a "more powerful" system (whatever that means) going to be enough to get people to upgrade? To be honest, it took a long time for me to upgrade to this generation, and that was only when the price was right. Even then, I'm not finding quite as many games as I did on the PS2, and it might be a while before my PS3 collection even reaches the level of my Wii collection. Granted, I've had my Wii for a year longer, but I'm not finding a huge amount of PS3 games I want to play.

I think Nintendo knows that the technology arms race is a zero sum game, because they are all competing for the same customers. Nintendo knows that the industry needs to go broader or else they will have Apple and Google eat away at their customer base, until they are at the niche of the "core gamer". Really, Nintendo is the only company really trying to push beyond what a console was defined as when they released the NES.

[quote name='TheLongshot']If Nintendo can manage strong 3rd party support[/QUOTE]

This is really what's important. Sure the first party games are usually always great, and hopefully we don't get a bunch of gimmicky Mii games again this time around.. but if the Wii U is a console that gets generic 3rd party support.. meaning, games released on the PS4/Xbox 720 are also on the Wii U, then I can't say that's strong 3rd party. But that's me.

When games come out on all 3 systems, and you own 2 or 3 of them.. Most normal people will pick the game for a specific genre based on:

-The best controller for the genre (It seems people who have a PS3 AND a 360 will most likely buy a fighting game due to the 360 controller not being great for them)
-Console exclusives? (Think Soul Calibur II)
-Is it a heavily multilayer game? Which of the 3 consoles provide the best online?
-Which game looks the best or has the smoothest looking graphics.

There's always more, and some people may not look at it that deep, but if most 3rd party games come out for the other 2 systems and the Wii U, what will be our incentive on purchasing it for the Wii U? That controller, at least from what we know, just seems a bit intrusive and yes, gimmicky.

What happens if all 3 systems get a Saints Row 4? The PS4 and 720 will probably be similar, but what does this mean for the Wii U? Will they just HAVE to include something gimmicky for that version just because they can or a way to make people believe they are having fun, simply because they moved a controller? Keep something in mind: It doesn't matter if you like Saints Row or not, but the point is that Saints Row is just a typical ol' video game. Motion controls and any other type of gimmicks really don't belong in that type of game. However, I AM open minded to see what could be offered.

I'll be impressed if a lot of 3rd party companies develop REAL games for the Wii U as exclusive, and no.. I'm talking more than a generic party game, shake the controller and win game, or LOSE WEIGHT WITH THIS GAME! game.

[quote name='lilboo']This is really what's important. Sure the first party games are usually always great, and hopefully we don't get a bunch of gimmicky Mii games again this time around.. but if the Wii U is a console that gets generic 3rd party support.. meaning, games released on the PS4/Xbox 720 are also on the Wii U, then I can't say that's strong 3rd party. But that's me.[/QUOTE]

Nor is that what I'm necessarily talking about. Consoles are all about the exclusives. It is the reason why some people own more than one, because there were games which people felt that they must play.

But, I wouldn't necessarily discount "generic 3rd party support", since the lack of it has hurt the Wii, giving more people reason to pick up another console. It isn't going to "save" Nintendo, but it would help keep Nintendo as a primary console in a few households who care about cross-platform games.

That being said, one of the big messages that I got from E3 was that Wii U was in the hands of 3rd party developers now, which gives me hope that we will get some real good Nintendo-exclusive content from them, something that was few and far between with the Wii. It doesn't mean it will happen, but I do have hope.

[quote name='Corvin']you're right, Nintendo doesn't have subsidiaries to fall back on, they have something better, billions upon billions in cold hard cash thanks to the Wii and DS. There's no reason they can't compete.

Your last point is a good one and probably a source of all this in-fighting. Longtime fans want a console to supplant all others when in reality Nintendo consoles are never going to be more then a secondary console. The days of Nintendo being the primary console are long gone. Once people learn to accept that it will be easier to move on.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... never thought of it as a supplement, more of the only alternative as I see very little differentiating 360 from PS3. To each his/her own.

I would say though that I would like the next Nintendo console to a complete one. I was actually quite disappointed when I heard there wasn't any DVD support as I was looking into only one system for the next gen. Anyways, if there is anything that I would be cautious about, it wouldn't be the controller, it would be 3rd party support. Even if 3rd party developers do go and support the Wii U, will their games still sell? The Gamecube had 3rd party support, but it almost always lagged behind the Xbox and PS2 counterparts. I'm just not sure if it will follow in the same trend, and if so, will developers discontinue support? Nintendo seems to be putting forth a good deal of effort into this issue, though only time will tell.

[quote name='lilboo']This is really what's important. Sure the first party games are usually always great, and hopefully we don't get a bunch of gimmicky Mii games again this time around.. but if the Wii U is a console that gets generic 3rd party support.. meaning, games released on the PS4/Xbox 720 are also on the Wii U, then I can't say that's strong 3rd party. But that's me.

When games come out on all 3 systems, and you own 2 or 3 of them.. Most normal people will pick the game for a specific genre based on:

-The best controller for the genre (It seems people who have a PS3 AND a 360 will most likely buy a fighting game due to the 360 controller not being great for them)
-Console exclusives? (Think Soul Calibur II)
-Is it a heavily multilayer game? Which of the 3 consoles provide the best online?
-Which game looks the best or has the smoothest looking graphics.

There's always more, and some people may not look at it that deep, but if most 3rd party games come out for the other 2 systems and the Wii U, what will be our incentive on purchasing it for the Wii U? That controller, at least from what we know, just seems a bit intrusive and yes, gimmicky.

What happens if all 3 systems get a Saints Row 4? The PS4 and 720 will probably be similar, but what does this mean for the Wii U? Will they just HAVE to include something gimmicky for that version just because they can or a way to make people believe they are having fun, simply because they moved a controller? Keep something in mind: It doesn't matter if you like Saints Row or not, but the point is that Saints Row is just a typical ol' video game. Motion controls and any other type of gimmicks really don't belong in that type of game. However, I AM open minded to see what could be offered.

I'll be impressed if a lot of 3rd party companies develop REAL games for the Wii U as exclusive, and no.. I'm talking more than a generic party game, shake the controller and win game, or LOSE WEIGHT WITH THIS GAME! game.[/QUOTE]

I think the time of 3rd party exclusive blockbusters are a thing of the past.

[quote name='omster']I think the time of 3rd party exclusive blockbusters are a thing of the past.[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls. Metal Gear Solid. Valkyria Chronicles. Gears of fucking War.

[quote name='elessar123']Demon's Souls. Metal Gear Solid. Valkyria Chronicles. Gears of fucking War.[/QUOTE]

I didn't consider Demon Souls and Valkryia Chronicles to be that significant. Regardless of what I think, that's only two titles in 5 years.

Metal Gear Solid is no longer set only for the PS3. Gears of War is first party, isn't it?

Demon Souls became HUGE. Valkyria not so much.

Gears of War is published by Microsoft, but owned by Epic. So it's possible it'll go to PS3 and Wii U at some point, if ever.

[quote name='KingBroly']Demon Souls became HUGE. Valkyria not so much.

Gears of War is published by Microsoft, but owned by Epic. So it's possible it'll go to PS3 and Wii U at some point, if ever.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if vgchartz is accurate, but VC = .99 million, and DS = 1.17 million for worldwide sales. That's better than I originally thought. Still, compared to the past two gens, this isn't much. First-party games are the main difference these day. I guess it's GOW vs DS&VC for third-party exclusives.

On a less serious note, the Wii has the high profile Just Dance 1 & 2 with about a total of 9 million copies sold! Nintendo is even going to publish the series in Japan!

Unfortunately for the Wii, the 3rd in the series will go multiplatform. Though it is one of those games that will sell better on the Wii!

the wii u will be the second time that nintendo favors third party.
if nintendo does get third party support, than it's fine. but if third party support lags, than it means third party doesn't want them.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Interesting new article on Gamepot titled: "Wii U: Unanswered Questions"

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6320313/wii-u-unanswered-questions/?tag=topslot;thumb;2[/QUOTE]
I still don't believe they could price this down to $250 or even $300. That controller must be like $70+ alone and Nintendo never takes a loss on hardware.

Also dear god, put an ethernet port on the Wii-U. Wifi is nice but I prefer to hard wire my gaming systems just because it's more reliable for me.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Interesting new article on Gamepot titled: "Wii U: Unanswered Questions"

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6320313/wii-u-unanswered-questions/?tag=topslot;thumb;2[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I still don't believe they could price this down to $250 or even $300. That controller must be like $70+ alone and Nintendo never takes a loss on hardware.

Also dear god, put an ethernet port on the Wii-U. Wifi is nice but I prefer to hard wire my gaming systems just because it's more reliable for me.[/QUOTE]

Very bummed about the lack of an ethernet port as I have a powerline network set up in the house.

bread's done
Back