Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Doesn't Nintendo already have 64 GB carts for Switch that publishers avoid like the plague due to the cost? I can't imagine too many games on this new Switch are going to fit on the smaller carts without an additional download. Nintendo might have to fix this by changing the carts completely.
I don't know that Nintendo's gotten above 32 GB cards because they're too buggy to produce reliably and publishers just stick to 8 GB cards when they can to save money while making players download the rest of the content.

I don't know that Nintendo's gotten above 32 GB cards because they're too buggy to produce reliably and publishers just stick to 8 GB cards when they can to save money while making players download the rest of the content.
I don’t have enough knowledge of how storage carts work but since we have microsd cards that are already reliable, how hard could it be to make the switch cards bigger storage wise.

I’m just asking why can’t they just keep the same form factor and therefore just have one cart slot for the Switch 2.
I expect it will be slightly different in shape but the slot would accept Switch cards and new cards. Likely light colored cartridges. Again, think of the 3DS accepting DS cards.

I don’t have enough knowledge of how storage carts work but since we have microsd cards that are already reliable, how hard could it be to make the switch cards bigger storage wise.
It's tougher and more expensive to make larger storage in the same size of card the higher you go, which is why there tends to be a limit to how high the different storage formats can go while being cost effective for the market. It's especially true when it's for proprietary formats for games, which is why publishers care more about costs for those kinds of formats since it's much higher than blu-rays by default. They've just had issues getting the 64GB card produced in a way that makes financial sense and publishers are just opting for smaller cards anyway, so it doesn't really make sense to push for it in this format.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/27/16821202/nintendo-delaying-64gb-game-cards-developers-2019

If you want to learn about how SD cards are made and how they work:

https://hotelectronicsproducts.com/how-sd-cards-are-made/

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m just asking why can’t they just keep the same form factor and therefore just have one cart slot for the Switch 2.
Because they don't want parents buying a game for little Timmy that is for the Switch 2 and they go and stick it in their Switch 1 and complain it doesn't work. So like the DS -> DSi -> 3DS... they change the shape of the carts a little so they can still do a single slot on the new machine while keeping BC... but lock out the old machine from the new games. Same for the GBA games not fitting in GB/GBC .

Also as far as storage size is concerned, the DLSS and the chip being able to scale games makes it a lot easier for them to keep game files small and just letting the hardware do some of the heavy lifting in scaling to 4K and smoothing the graphics out so it's less obvious that is what's going on.

So the carts can essentially be the same on the inside, but just use a different shell... and maybe throw an extra pin on there or something. Could they just continue using the same carts as the switch with no modifications? Sure, but then they'd be better off not calling this Switch 2 and go back to the whole idea of the Switch Pro. But i don't think they'll get the kind of sales they want with just a Pro model... and instead need to push forward while not forcing people to start over on their game collections.

Walmart announced their Mario Wonder preorder bonus.  A pack of trading cards.  But you won’t get a full set with one pack, lol.  A set has 15 cards, 4 holofoil and a super limited holofoil of elephant Mario (only 1000 of them).  A pack will come with 10 cards…so good luck if you feel you need a complete set.  

Walmart announced their Mario Wonder preorder bonus. A pack of trading cards. But you won’t get a full set with one pack, lol. A set has 15 cards, 4 holofoil and a super limited holofoil of elephant Mario (only 1000 of them). A pack will come with 10 cards…so good luck if you feel you need a complete set.
So um, how do you get more cards? Do you need multiple pre-orders?

I'm so over all these retailer-exclusive, pre-order bonus junk items Nintendo loves to do. Give me something actually collectible like a steelbook. Steelbooks are the only reason Best Buy still gets pre-orders out of me sometimes. But the stupid FOMO nonsense with Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart/Gamestop/Best Buy all having their own pre-order bonus, it's just such a waste of time. Unless one of these stores reveals a bonus item I'll actually use, I'll just stick with my Gamestop stickers. I'm already getting Spider-Man 2 from there, might as well only have one place to go to for both games.

Walmart announced their Mario Wonder preorder bonus. A pack of trading cards. But you won’t get a full set with one pack, lol. A set has 15 cards, 4 holofoil and a super limited holofoil of elephant Mario (only 1000 of them). A pack will come with 10 cards…so good luck if you feel you need a complete set.
I’m willing to take the gamble!

Edit: actually since I have b2g1 on Best Buy I hope they have a better preorder bonus.

I don’t want Wii U support on the switch 2. I just want switch support. They’ve gotta make that happen.
What I was trying to say was there were major hurdles in the way of OS level BC for the Switch outside of the NSO emulators (even outside of properly carrying over your digital purchase history). It's especially a shame because the Wii U had their most robust backward compatibility support ever.

But yeah, given how crucial BC is to maintaining marketshare momentum these days and presuming the Switch 2 will also be a collab with Nvidia tech (as rumored), there's no reason to expect Switch games not to be backwards compatible with Switch 2.

So um, how do you get more cards? Do you need multiple pre-orders?

I'm so over all these retailer-exclusive, pre-order bonus junk items Nintendo loves to do. Give me something actually collectible like a steelbook. Steelbooks are the only reason Best Buy still gets pre-orders out of me sometimes. But the stupid FOMO nonsense with Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart/Gamestop/Best Buy all having their own pre-order bonus, it's just such a waste of time. Unless one of these stores reveals a bonus item I'll actually use, I'll just stick with my Gamestop stickers. I'm already getting Spider-Man 2 from there, might as well only have one place to go to for both games.
Yeah, you’d have to get multiple preorders to get multiple packs. But it looks like scalpers were all over this one since the preorder with cards is already sold out on Walmart’s site.

"Focused on games releasing this winter"

Thank god they clarified that. Maybe the rumor mill about Switch 2 can chill a bit now, no way Nintendo announces any details this year with the upcoming holiday shopping season and multiple Switch LEs releasing.

Thank god they clarified that. Maybe the rumor mill about Switch 2 can chill a bit now,
Yes, because we all know video game fans are sensible people who will take things at face value and not continue to have overblown expectations...

So the rumors about a September direct were true.  Interesting.  I set an alarm.  Not expecting anything but like to stay informed.

Thank god they clarified that. Maybe the rumor mill about Switch 2 can chill a bit now, no way Nintendo announces any details this year with the upcoming holiday shopping season and multiple Switch LEs releasing.
Did anyone really expect them to announce their new console in this direct? That would sabotage Switch sales for the holidays. I think an announcement will likely be in January.

I wonder what they're going to show off, since Wonder (heh) already had its own Direct, so maybe more Mario RPG news? More news about the Peach game and the Luigi's Mansion remake? There's rumors of an F-Zero GX remake and a remake of Super Princess Peach (that one's more likely, with the new Peach game coming out, and I missed it on DS so I'd love that). Just give me ports of Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X! Please, my Wii U is dying and I won't be able to legally play these games again soon!

So the rumors about a September direct were true. Interesting. I set an alarm. Not expecting anything but like to stay informed.
Hasn’t there been a big Nintendo Direct in the first half of September every year for the past 5 years? I don’t think the rumors were based on any leaks or privileged information- people were just making an educated guess.

The big rumors however are that the F-Zero return is going to be another free 99 game probably based off the original SNES game, and the next Donkey Kong game is in fact not another DKC but instead it’s another Mario Minis vs DK game.

So, extremely underwhelming rumors if true. But the scale of these games are about right if we really are looking at the last year of the Switch’s life. It is also becoming increasingly obvious that Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a Switch 2 launch title, so probably no info on that either. Maybe we will actually find out more about that Peach game tho.

The big rumors however are that the F-Zero return is going to be another free 99 game probably based off the original SNES game, and the next Donkey Kong game is in fact not another DKC but instead it’s another Mario Minis vs DK game.

So, extremely underwhelming rumors if true. But the scale of these games are about right if we really are looking at the last year of the Switch’s life. It is also becoming increasingly obvious that Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a Switch 2 launch title, so probably no info on that either. Maybe we will actually find out more about that Peach game tho.
Blegh, I heard the F-Zero 99 and Mario Minis rumors, too. No, thank you.

Prime 4 launching with the Switch 2 would take a miracle. I truly believe that game is still at least two years away, probably more.

Blegh, I heard the F-Zero 99 and Mario Minis rumors, too. No, thank you.

Prime 4 launching with the Switch 2 would take a miracle. I truly believe that game is still at least two years away, probably more.
I dunno, I think Nintendo realized Metroid is a huge IP for them after Dread & Prime Remastered sold like crazy and the former ended up being their big critically acclaimed awards bait for that year. They restarted development a very long time ago and Retro Studios doesn’t have anything going on if the DK vs Minis rumor is true. There’s no new Zelda to launch alongside a new system, and big 3D Mario game’s always come later after launch these days. If you want the average core early adopter to buy your new Nintendo console, Metroid is probably the best way to entice them.

I dunno, I think Nintendo realized Metroid is a huge IP for them after Dread & Prime Remastered sold like crazy and the former ended up being their big critically acclaimed awards bait for that year. They restarted development a very long time ago and Retro Studios doesn’t have anything going on if the DK vs Minis rumor is true. There’s no new Zelda to launch alongside a new system, and big 3D Mario game’s always come later after launch these days. If you want the average core early adopter to buy your new Nintendo console, Metroid is probably the best way to entice them.
Metroid does much better outside Japan. It won’t get Japanese players onto a new console. So it wouldn’t be used to launch a console.

An exclusive Mario kart is all they need to launch a new system with.
I agree, I’d buy it day one despite always waiting on new systems. Mario Kart 8 is my favorite game of all time.

But they haven’t even finished the MK8 DLC yet. That’s what they’ve been working on for the past 2 years. There’s no way they are suddenly going to release MK9 a year from now.

I would love to be proven wrong. Tho I don’t know how they can top MK8, it might not be possible.

Metroid does much better outside Japan. It won’t get Japanese players onto a new console. So it wouldn’t be used to launch a console.
Zelda doesn’t sell as well in Japan either but both the Wii and Switch launched with one. The US & Europe are much bigger markets now anyway.

Obviously MP4 wouldn’t be the only launch title either. Throw in a Kirby, or Fire Emblem, or Arms 2 or Xenoblade X remaster to appeal to Japan as well as over here.

I agree, I’d buy it day one despite always waiting on new systems. Mario Kart 8 is my favorite game of all time.

But they haven’t even finished the MK8 DLC yet. That’s what they’ve been working on for the past 2 years. There’s no way they are suddenly going to release MK9 a year from now.

I would love to be proven wrong. Tho I don’t know how they can top MK8, it might not be possible.
2024 will be 10 years since Mario Kart 8 came out so I think they’ve had time to make a new game.

Ever played Diddy Kong Racing? Mario Kart needs an adventure mode with bosses.

2024 will be 10 years since Mario Kart 8 came out so I think they’ve had time to make a new game.

Ever played Diddy Kong Racing? Mario Kart needs an adventure mode with bosses.
Or the return of challenge mode.

I really liked DKR, I’d put it on the same level as Crash Team Racing and Sonic All-Star Racing… Not quite as good as Mario Kart, but real close. A boss mode in MK9 would definitely be a lot of fun.

I can't imagine the Booster Course team takes up the entirety of their workload given that the courses aren't exactly built from scratch and are from/for Mario Kart Tour. I think with the announcement that Tour isn't getting new content anymore, that a MK9 as an early Switch 2 release is pretty likely.

Zelda doesn’t sell as well in Japan either but both the Wii and Switch launched with one. The US & Europe are much bigger markets now anyway.

Obviously MP4 wouldn’t be the only launch title either. Throw in a Kirby, or Fire Emblem, or Arms 2 or Xenoblade X remaster to appeal to Japan as well as over here.
Both times it wasn't exclusive and released on the previous console as well. They were late development titles in the systems life so they released on both to cover their bases. The previous console version usually gets pushed back after the new console versions release to make matters worse. it's easy to forget most people prefer gc twilight princess because of the janky controls and being mirrored on the wii.

I could imagine Switch 2 launching with a new 3D Mario game since we've only had the one main 3D game so far (not counting the port of 3D World + Bowser).   They've had plenty of time to start that development.   Though I can't imagine them announcing it until they are ready to announce the next system.   That would sell systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYfuAOKTxA

Summary

• Splatoon 3 - Side Order Expansion Pass DLC - Spring 2024
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong - 2/16/24
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 1/18/24
  • Horizon Chase 2 - Out Today
  • Super Crazy Rhythm Castle - 11/14
  • SpyXAnya: Operation Memories - 2024
  • Super Mario RPG - 11/17
  • Another Code Recollection - 1/19/24 - Collection of Trace Memory and its Japan-exclusive Wii sequel
  • Princess Peach Showtime! - 3/22/24
  • SaGa Emerald Beyond - 2024
  • Tomb Raider I-III Remastered starring Lara Croft - 2/14/24
  • Detective Pikachu Returns - 10/6
  • Trombone Champ - Out Today
  • Battle Crush - October Beta - Switch Launch Exclusive
  • Wartales - Out Today - Switch Launch Exclusive
  • Contra: Operation Galuga - Early 2024
  • Unicorn Overlord - 3/8/24
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - Summer 2024
  • F-Zero 99 - Out Today for NSO members
  • Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story - 2024
  • Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story - 11/1
  • WarioWare Move It - 11/3
  • Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes - 4/23/24
  • Eastward: Octopia DLC - Holiday 2023
  • Wargroove 2 - 10/5 - Console Exclusive
  • Dave the Diver - 10/26 - Switch Launch Exclusive
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Wave 6 Booster Course Pass - Holiday 2023
  • Among Us New Map - October
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 2024

For the Direct I'm interested in... 

Mario vs Donkey Kong (2/16/24)... I loved those games so might be down for this even though I still have the original.
Horizon Chase 2 (Today)... I really like the update to a more modern style
Another Code Recollection (Two Memories + Another Code R) (1/19/24)... WOAH... it's amazing to see this brought back from the DS as the developer I thought went under.  Maybe we'll get Hotel Dusk as well as Last Window remakes?

I'll likely grab Super Mario RPG after it's discounted on Gamefly.... same for Princess Peach Showtime (3/22/24),  Detective Pikachu Returns (10/6/23), and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (summer 2024)

SaGa Emerald Beyond looks cool but I've kind of skipped out on this franchise just because of time.  But I'll keep an eye on this anyway.

F-Zero 99... looks interesting and all... but looks more frustrating than fun.  I'll probably try it ... just to try it since I have regular NSO and the switch SNES controllers.

Bandle Tale A League of Legends Story (2024) looks pretty cool.

Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes (4/23/24) looks amazing.  Will likely grab this at some point.

.... so recap so far...

Pretty much nothing for me this year I really need to think to much about until there are sales on gamefly or black friday or something.

That includes Super Mario Wonder.

Final announcement

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (2024) ... cool... but I have the original.  Might be another to wait for a $30 or so deal on gamefly.

Is Princess Peach Showtime the game they revealed last time? If so, what a let down. My wife was interested in it from the reveal last conference but that Peach game looked like shovelware trash they showed today. It was just a bunch of mario party mini game with Peach as the main character.

I feel like they did Peach dirty, she’s probably not even getting paid as much as Mario. Probably only 77 coins for every Star he gets.

So, the leaks were true. I really wish we were getting an actually new F-Zero game, but I guess this 99 one is...something.

Genuinely surprised by a new Vanillaware game, and I'm really excited to play Dave the Diver since I've heard great things about it and it looks right up my alley. New Peach game looks unique, but it kind of reminds me of Paper Mario: The Origami King, in that it may have a cool story/visuals, but it looks braindead easy.

Speaking of Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door Remake! That announcement saved this Direct because man, what a boring video. I understand the Switch is in its final year, but that doesn't mean all its last releases have to be so disappointing. I think if we do get the Wind Waker/Twilight Princess ports, they're destined for Switch 2. There better be something in them to justify the wait and placement on a more powerful console. The cut content from Wind Waker, perhaps? Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time, so they better at least port it.

Very happy about the amiibo getting release dates, and finally a Sora confirmation! Nintendo has stated that the Noah and Mio amiibo will unlock some costumes for the characters, so I'll be putting off my Xenoblade 3 NG+ playthrough until January.

Overall, meh. Only a few announcements really caught my attention. Hopefully Nintendo has some serious bangers set aside for the Switch 2 announcement. I wonder if they'll reveal it in March, for the seventh anniversary of the original Switch? That'd be pretty cool.

Honestly, happy with the Direct given my 0 expectations with all the big first-party games announced only a few months ago. My only complaint is that there was no Smash update info, which makes me think that the rumored Sora patch will be a nothingburger after all. That and there was no announced NSO content besides F-Zero 99.

Believe it or not, we only have 3 GBA and 3 N64 games left to come to the service (and 1 GB Japan-only game), so we're running out of new stuff.

I will say, even if I dig the stuff being remade/remastered (especially TTYD :bouncy: ), I agree that the upcoming Q1/Q2 2024 games all seem like budget titles which seems like even more evidence that the Switch 2 is on the way.

DK vs Mario was a big MEH until they brought up local co-op. This will be a really funny little multiplayer game at least.

Horizon Chase 2 was the biggest announcement for me. Turbo was excellent.

A new SaGa game that looks convoluted as all hell is always welcome.

It’s so weird releasing Tomb Raider 1-3 Remaster and totally ignoring Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition. They already remade the 1st game and made it actually fun to play. And now they are remaking it again with the terrible tank controls included. Do people actually have nostalgia for tank controls?

And releasing a Paper Mario remaster so soon after a Mario RPG remake is surprising. Can’t complain, these are the two best Mario RPGs outside of the Mario & Luigi series. I wonder if they are testing the waters to see which gets a better reception and which direction to take future Mario RPG games. The Mario & Luigi series developer is dead and recent Paper Mario games have turned into this strange, mostly despised point & click puzzle hybrid (Is Princess Peach Showtime a spiritual successor? 🤨), so it’s probably time to figure out what direction to take future RPG spin-offs.

All I want is ports of Skies of Arcadia and Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. I don't need remasters or remakes or anything. Just a straight port would be fine. Just get these games back on modern consoles.

I actually have 2 copies of Skies on Gamecube (both I and my husband had it as a kid), and you better believe I'm hanging onto both of those for dear life, in case god forbid one dies. As for the Radiant games, don't own either, would love to have them...

bread's done
Back