Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Ok so if I wanted to jump into the Xenoblade games where do I start? Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive? XB 2? XB 3?

I started with XC2, then XC2:Torna (which is a prequel to XC2), and then went to XC1 3D (3ds) but then opted to wait for XC1 Definitive. While there are connections between the games, I didn't have any issues starting with XC2 and I loved that game.

Ok so if I wanted to jump into the Xenoblade games where do I start? Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive? XB 2? XB 3?
Yeah, that's the order I'd go with. Make sure to play the Torna DLC after 2 and the Future Redeemed DLC after 3. Also, if you have access to a Wii U or similar means, I highly recommend X. It isn't necessary at all to understand the rest of the games, but 2 and 3 do have some Easter eggs referencing it and it's a fantastic game, one of the last shining gems trapped on the Wii U.

If all that seems daunting to you, just jump into the first game and see how you feel after that. It is, IMHO, one of the greatest RPGs ever made, with a fantastic story, great cast of characters, vast exploration, god-tier OST, and an extremely engaging and addictive battle system. The subsequent games are all great (well, I didn't love 3, but that's an unpopular opinion), but the first game remains my personal best in the series. Seriously, you will get so connected to the characters and their mission. Top 5 game for me, for sure.

It will get a port on switch 2 one day. XBCX pushed the Wii U to its limits and it was probably hard to get it running well on switch in handheld mode. Even XBC2 looks pretty terrible in handheld mode and the scale of that game is way smaller... although they fixed these issues for XBC3, so maybe with more familiarity with the hardware a solid port of XBCX would’ve been possible. But at that point they probably figured why not just put it on Switch 2.

I dig the more exploratory and less story-driven format of XBCX, and all the mech stuff that calls back to the old Xenogears & Xenosaga games. Totally different game than Chronicles trilogy. I like it more than XBC2, but less then the first or third games. The gatcha stuff in XBC2 is just so annoying. I didn’t finally get KOS-MOS until the very end of the game. The art style is also hideous. The characters remind me of Moral Orel and everything just looks so generically anime. They went back to more understated, halfway realistic art style for 3 at least.

I loved the characters other than maybe how borderline fan service some of them were (but I still loved the characters)... and the gatcha to me wasn't bad in XC2... but I also didn't feel as compelled to get every blade (though I might have). Also loved the little stories every non-generic blade had when you worked through completing their affinity chart.

Has anyone received their 20% gold coins bonus for redeeming a NSO plan during the current promotion? I haven't received mine yet and it's been a few days. I will regret splurging for the expansion pack if these coins don't show.

Just finished Super Mario RPG and it was very cute, though not really worth the full $60. I was able to get in on the $40 Staples-to-Target price match deal, but then, as I described in the Target thread, Target canceled and refunded my order after I had already picked it up. I've been diligently checking my credit card since then and Target still hasn't reversed that refund, so I got the game for free. I guess they were trying to nuke the price matches? Well, I'm not complaining lol

I can't really be too critical of the game, getting it for free and all, but as I said, I think $60 is a bit high for it and it should have been $50 at the most (if Target hadn't have refunded me, I'd have been perfectly happy paying $40). I never played the original SNES version and don't have any nostalgia for it, so I felt like the battle system was a bit too simplistic. This would cause me to kind of lose interest in the game, but what kept me going was the top-notch humor. I laughed multiple times during my playthrough, especially at Bowser's antics. Also, the minigames were extremely fun, and the OST is full of earworms (the standard boss battle theme is a serious standout). I finished at about 13 and a half hours, and though there's a boss rush mode in the postgame, I've never been a huge fan of those and have decided to put it down.

I'd give it an 8/10, since I think it's a very good game, but a little overpriced and slightly dated. But, I appreciate it for giving birth to the ongoing series of Mario roleplaying games. I suppose I maybe now understand the GENO FOR SMASH nonsense, but, uh, hot take: he wasn't that interesting. Great party member, but kind of just a guy in the story.

Just finished Super Mario RPG and it was very cute, though not really worth the full $60. I was able to get in on the $40 Staples-to-Target price match deal, but then, as I described in the Target thread, Target canceled and refunded my order after I had already picked it up. I've been diligently checking my credit card since then and Target still hasn't reversed that refund, so I got the game for free. I guess they were trying to nuke the price matches? Well, I'm not complaining lol

I can't really be too critical of the game, getting it for free and all, but as I said, I think $60 is a bit high for it and it should have been $50 at the most (if Target hadn't have refunded me, I'd have been perfectly happy paying $40). I never played the original SNES version and don't have any nostalgia for it, so I felt like the battle system was a bit too simplistic. This would cause me to kind of lose interest in the game, but what kept me going was the top-notch humor. I laughed multiple times during my playthrough, especially at Bowser's antics. Also, the minigames were extremely fun, and the OST is full of earworms (the standard boss battle theme is a serious standout). I finished at about 13 and a half hours, and though there's a boss rush mode in the postgame, I've never been a huge fan of those and have decided to put it down.

I'd give it an 8/10, since I think it's a very good game, but a little overpriced and slightly dated. But, I appreciate it for giving birth to the ongoing series of Mario roleplaying games. I suppose I maybe now understand the GENO FOR SMASH nonsense, but, uh, hot take: he wasn't that interesting. Great party member, but kind of just a guy in the story.
I felt about the same way about it as you did. I only paid around $40 for it and I think that was still too high. I was never a fan of the timed attacks/blocks but the few times you have to try doing any sort of platforming was awful. The 3/4 view you have makes some parts harder than it should be. Climbing the vines was a pain. The part where you have 6 doors to go through and two are platforming were not as bad but still annoying.

In the end I was glad it is such a short and easy game. By the time I got to the last star I didnt care anymore and just pushed through to finish the game. I enjoyed the Costume Quest games more but that could just be because they were a little bit shorter and priced accurately.

Thanks for the review. I did play the original back in the day and loved it, but I thought this remake was too expensive as well. I was planning on waiting for a good deal on it and ended up getting in on that staples to target pricematch for $40 also. Hard to see this going much lower any time soon.

Really want to grab the new DQ Monsters game, hopefully Dell puts it up on their site so I can use Dell reward points for it!

The launch switches can be hacked, after the v2 revision Nintendo fixed the exploit, but I bet over time the newer ones will be hacked too. The vita took a long time but was eventually hacked.
Every switch out there is hackable now. Including lites and OLED. The only difference is all models after V1 require a mod chip put in them rather than loading an exploit only. I currently have a modded lite and an OLED.

Has anyone received their 20% gold coins bonus for redeeming a NSO plan during the current promotion? I haven't received mine yet and it's been a few days. I will regret splurging for the expansion pack if these coins don't show.

Nope.

“Gold Points will be issued within 14 days of purchase”

Did you guys click the "get offer" button on the email?
I think that's the only way to get the extra coins, at least according to the terms in the email.
1701616008289.png

I thought this had ended but apparently it's still going on:
Qubic Games is having a sale right now. If you own Coloring Book (free), Robonauts, Mana Spark, Puzzle Book, GekiYaba, Mini Golf, or Rekt you can get a bunch of games for 49 cents each.

Any of these actually worth playing? The only ones I recognize are really old indie ports.

I felt about the same way about it as you did. I only paid around $40 for it and I think that was still too high. I was never a fan of the timed attacks/blocks but the few times you have to try doing any sort of platforming was awful. The 3/4 view you have makes some parts harder than it should be. Climbing the vines was a pain. The part where you have 6 doors to go through and two are platforming were not as bad but still annoying.

In the end I was glad it is such a short and easy game. By the time I got to the last star I didnt care anymore and just pushed through to finish the game. I enjoyed the Costume Quest games more but that could just be because they were a little bit shorter and priced accurately.
Yeah, the timing for attacking and blocking was pretty frustrating because it felt very off, like in order to make it work, you had to be either robotically precise or actually slightly too soon/late. Like a bad rhythm game. And the isomeric angle was the bane of my existence. That does NOT do you any favors while trying to platform. I kept yelling fuck, THIS ISOMETRIC ANGLE! The vines were a nightmare, too. I felt like a moron lol
Thanks for the review. I did play the original back in the day and loved it, but I thought this remake was too expensive as well. I was planning on waiting for a good deal on it and ended up getting in on that staples to target pricematch for $40 also. Hard to see this going much lower any time soon.

Really want to grab the new DQ Monsters game, hopefully Dell puts it up on their site so I can use Dell reward points for it!
Definitely, $40 is probably the lowest this game will go for possibly years. I had DQM pre-ordered at Gamestop but decided to cancel because I figured it'll get cheap soon (especially since Squeenix has been doing next to no promotion for it). Also, I heard it runs worse than Scarlet and Violet which, I mean...yeesh.

Yeah, the timing for attacking and blocking was pretty frustrating because it felt very off, like in order to make it work, you had to be either robotically precise or actually slightly too soon/late. Like a bad rhythm game. And the isomeric angle was the bane of my existence. That does NOT do you any favors while trying to platform. I kept yelling fuck, THIS ISOMETRIC ANGLE! The vines were a nightmare, too. I felt like a moron lol

Definitely, $40 is probably the lowest this game will go for possibly years. I had DQM pre-ordered at Gamestop but decided to cancel because I figured it'll get cheap soon (especially since Squeenix has been doing next to no promotion for it). Also, I heard it runs worse than Scarlet and Violet which, I mean...yeesh.
I think it was the last vine I could not hit it. Then I thought maybe there is a hidden platform, and sure enough there is. I still couldnt jump at the right angle. I was this close to quitting the game entirely because of this. I finally got it and for such an easy game this jump was harder than any souls game for me. I didnt even use Geno much because I would always mistime his attack. If I did use him I would just use his magic beam attack.

I've long been a fan of the original SNES game, but even I feel like $60 was a bit much. It should have been $50 tops.

I never had too much trouble with the timing for attacking or blocking, except sometimes when you're trying to get perfect timing for the AoE blow. The timing for perfect is kind of strict, but for just good timing it's very lenient.

Also for the vines, you can move around horizontally while climbing them. I either didn't know or just forgot, because it took me by surprise. It makes things a little easier.

Did you guys click the "get offer" button on the email?
I think that's the only way to get the extra coins, at least according to the terms in the email.
View attachment 52
I'm not sure whether that's true, but I went and clicked on it just to be safe. Hopefully it works retroactively as well.

If anyone is looking for the email, the header is "Special Offer: Get Gold Points with Nintendo Switch Online memberships."

Renewed NSO with expansion pass this morning and got 1,600 gold coins added to my account this evening. Stupid me forgot the link so I clicked on it this afternoon and it worked out. It was on the mynintendo page of my account

What made this deal extra sweet was using funds from Costco 20% off eshop credit a few months ago. Need another one of those deals to reload my account up.

Last edited:
End of the line for the eShop sale. What was my haul? Let's take a look...

Kirby and the Open World But Not Really Land
Vengeful Guardian Moon Rider (extremely good)
Prison City (extremely decent; more fun at lower difficulties)
NOS (for the calculator app mostly)
Hot Wheels (vanilla)
Smile BASIC (I was a code nerd as a kid; I couldn't resist)

Almost caved on Sol Cresta but ultimately decided against it. Tracing out your formations sounds like a great way to run headfirst into a bullet.

My final haul:
From eShop with 10% off eShop credit
Baiton Kaitos 1&2
Etrian Odyssey collection
Portal 1&2
-
Kirby and the forgotten land
Fire emblem engage
Mega man battle network
B2g1 at Best buy for $84

Mario Rabbids 2
Laytons mystery Journey
Remnant (physical)
B2g1 at Best buy for $50

Persona 4
Persona 3
Return to Monkey Island
B2g1 at Best buy for $28

Tunic
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Shovel Knight Dig
B2g1 at Best buy for $41.

All these came with full gold coins and with those coins I grabbed:
Cyber Shadow
Baldurs Gate 1&2
This way madness lies

Spent way more than I was anticipating

Switch BF haul

Persona 5 royal
Links awakening
Dark souls remastered
Neon White
Valkyria Chronicles 1. And 4 bundle
Dragons dogma
Super mario rpg (qvc deal)

thanks for the link, i couldn't find the email.

fyi, this also works if you redeem a code, and you get the points based on regular retail price, even though target has (had?) them for 10% off

We have a Family + Expansion subscription that doesn't expire until March. Based on what I'm reading, if I bought a code and redeemed it today, it would not extend my sub until March 2025; it would start a concurrent sub immediately and the sub would expire a year from now. Is that correct? No good way to take advantage of the 20% coin promo, right?

We have a Family + Expansion subscription that doesn't expire until March. Based on what I'm reading, if I bought a code and redeemed it today, it would not extend my sub until March 2025; it would start a concurrent sub immediately and the sub would expire a year from now. Is that correct? No good way to take advantage of the 20% coin promo, right?

If you want is the extra gold coins, go into the account on the Switch and buy a year extension but press the button correctly beforehand. https://my.nintendo.com/news/fd0e03b82938e7e5

I guess I'll post my BF/CM purchases... nothing digital but did get physical games:

BB - Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope Cosmic Edition $15, Assassins Creed Ezio Collection $15, Persona 5 Strikers $20, Persona 5 Royal $25, Atari 50th Anniversary Collection $20, and not a great deal but Captain Toad $37.

Gamefly - Shin Megami Tensei V (new) $20

Been away from Nintendo for a while and picked up a $299 Splatoon OLED bundle at Walmart. I have 300 Platinum coins in my Nintendo account. Am I able to use these coins for digital software purchases? If so, am I only able to do so via the online store accessed via the switch? Thanks in advance for any help.

Been away from Nintendo for a while and picked up a $299 Splatoon OLED bundle at Walmart. I have 300 Platinum coins in my Nintendo account. Am I able to use these coins for digital software purchases? If so, am I only able to do so via the online store accessed via the switch? Thanks in advance for any help.
No. Only for club Nintendo rewards. Gold is the one that can be used in the eShop.

Renewed NSO with expansion pass this morning and got 1,600 gold coins added to my account this evening. Stupid me forgot the link so I clicked on it this afternoon and it worked out. It was on the mynintendo page of my account

What made this deal extra sweet was using funds from Costco 20% off eshop credit a few months ago. Need another one of those deals to reload my account up.
Did you click the auto renewal? Everything is grayed out for me after I click the get offer button except auto renewal… maybe because I have the family plan too or something? I’ll try going through my Switch when I get home.

Last edited:
Got eShop credit from Amazon and renewed my Switch online subscription this evening. Still waiting for the Gold Coins to come through but I made sure I activated the offer before I bought it so I should be good. Fingers crossed.

I paid for two years' worth, but only got the coins for one of the transactions. I may have to contact Nintendo about it if the rest of the coins don't show up soon.

bread's done
Back