Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

I have to disagree with you buddy. I can see how you could feel that way if you haven't followed this thread since it's inception, but from his first post in this thread up until now he has been thrashing the Switch continuously. Now on a regular forum that would be fine but this is an obvious hype thread. There are few to no Switch deals so it's obvious this thread is similar to the Collector's Edition thread, "let's talk about how excited we are for ______." It gets really old when people come in there with the sole purpose of telling you how bad the product you're excited for is. Regardless of how polite they do it or don't.
I've never once told a single person in here to not buy the NS, or how "bad" it is. I've never once "trashed" anything. I've never said the system sucked, I've never said the controls are bad, or anything else like that. When the NS has been discussed in regards to games, price, motion controls, color, 3rd party support, etc, I have given my opinion on the subject at hand. Sometimes that may appear negative to some, and maybe not so much to others. It lacks games, the price is to high, there is no 3rd party support, how is that trashing anything? Please explain? It's my opinion, why does it have to match others opinions on the same subject?

Why are so many people bothered by my "opinions"? I see many people here every day saying the same things I do, and how they have canceled their preorders, and are deciding to wait based on many of the reason I have mentioned. If I'm being so negative, or bringing down the thread, why not block me, and ignore me? I've never been rude or nasty to anyone, unless they start shit first.

Why is one person praise about something more valid than someone else's opinions who point out the flaws, or downside to something? This is a forum for people to make informed purchases is it not? For someone who is a teacher, I would think freedom of speech, and individual expression would be what you strive to teach all kids every day. But when it conflicts with your ideals, or morals it's wrong, bad, or otherwise wrong?

When a kid turns in a picture or writes a paper the majority of the class don't like or do not understand, do you then ask that child, why did you draw this, the rest of the class doesn't like this, please stop drawing or writing, as no one likes it? Is he not allowed to express him/herself even if it's not the majority consensus? Or it conflicts with what others "like", who are they to say what's right, or what's wrong?

If someone here want's to spend $1000 at launch on the NS, that's great, I'm not telling them they suck, or it's a bad buy, or how they shouldn't do it. I've never once told anyone that. If someone ask for opinions on if they should buy an NS or any product in general, I'll tell them the truth as I understand it to be. If they like what I say, go with it, if not, don't, where is the problem? If anyone here is happy to buy the NS, I'm happy for them.

And for those saying that children aren't excited for the Switch are grossly wrong in my opinion, but what do I know! I'm just an elementary school teacher that spends 50+ hours a week with Nintendo's target age group.
Hey, thanks for helping shape young minds! I'm not a fan of spring rolls, but you're alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
really long post
Your opinions are valid, it's just a waste of time sharing them over and over with people who aren't interested in hearing them. At that point it just seems like you're trying to ruin everyone else's excitement. Again, you're free to do that, but it comes across as dick-ish, which I doubt is your intention.

bullet-proof armor recommended
Buying_the_magic_armor.png

Worst goddamn Zelda sidequest...

Yes and I understand you on that but you can't forget how Zelda, Pokémon, Mario, all those are huge IP's to children.
I'll definitely give you Mario. Modern games are stupidly easy to play and kid-friendly with hardly any need for reading comprehension.

And even Pokemon to a large degree, though the Pokemon commercials themselves are depicting teenagers these days.

But LoZ games don't necessarily seem to scream child's play. The difficulty level is higher and some reading proficiency is required to progress through the game. More than any other IP, I'd say LoZ is where the hardcore gamers who grew up with the Zelda IP (now adults) hang their hats.

I'm sure this is an "agree to disagree" situation.

My interpretation due to the age groups shown in their own commercials is that Nintendo is targeting 20-30 something millennials who may or may not have friends or kids to share the Switch experience with. They wanna take advantage of the casuals and their social media habits.

I'll definitely give you Mario. Modern games are stupidly easy to play and kid-friendly with hardly any need for reading comprehension.

And even Pokemon to a large degree, though the Pokemon commercials themselves are depicting teenagers these days.

But LoZ games don't necessarily seem to scream child's play. The difficulty level is higher and some reading proficiency is required to progress through the game. More than any other IP, I'd say LoZ is where the hardcore gamers who grew up with the Zelda IP (now adults) hang their hats.

I'm sure this is an "agree to disagree" situation.

My interpretation due to the age groups shown in their own commercials is that Nintendo is targeting 20-30 something millennials who may or may not have friends or kids to share the Switch experience with. They wanna take advantage of the casuals and their social media habits.
I agree with most of your post, but disagree about modern Marios being stupidly-easy. Some stages are quite hard.

But LoZ games don't necessarily seem to scream child's play. The difficulty level is higher and some reading proficiency is required to progress through the game.
How does a game being difficult make it less suited to children? Often children spend a lot of time playing video games so they have plenty of skill, that was certainly my experience.

There are different types of difficulty to be sure. I was mainly referring to the portions of LoZ games that require problem-solving and reading comprehension. Those skills are just different skills than you'd need in a standard modern Mario platformer. Young children are likely to become more proficient in Mario games with practice, but LoZ games are gonna be more challenging  for young children generally since it isn't just platforming.

/shrug

There are different types of difficulty to be sure. I was mainly referring to the portions of LoZ games that require problem-solving and reading comprehension. Those skills are just different skills than you'd need in a standard modern Mario platformer. Young children are likely to become more proficient in Mario games with practice, but LoZ games are gonna be more challenging for young children generally since it isn't just platforming.

/shrug
The children mentioned previously were elementary school age, not preschool. I think most elementary school children wouldn't have a lot of difficulty with the puzzles or reading in Zelda and practicing both reading and problem solving would be good for them.

Nobody got past Water Temple as a kid. Nobody. Don't even tell me you did, because I'll know you're a liar. Didn't stop us from playing it for months on end, though.

Nobody got past Water Temple as a kid. Nobody. Don't even tell me you did, because I'll know you're a liar. Didn't stop us from playing it for months on end, though.
Speak for yourself. Got all 20 hearts, 11 before you turn adult I was 9! I was missing one glass bottle only and never did get all 100 gold spiders though.

Also unlocked aztec on Goldeneye... That moonraker level on Double O omg, so hard!!!! Brothers called me GamePro lol only cheat I missed on that game was the x2 rcp90's couldn't get that for some reason

Speak for yourself. Got all 20 hearts, 11 before you turn adult I was 9! I was missing one glass bottle only and never did get all 100 gold spiders though.

Also unlocked aztec on Goldeneye... That moonraker level on Double O omg, so hard!!!! Brothers called me GamePro lol
I'm in a thread full of liars and cheaters. :nottalking:

That's right. I am referring to being proficient enough to be able to play a game, solve the puzzles, and beat it.

Young children =/= Preschool necessarily. I was thinking children younger than say 8 or 9. In my experience, those children get frustrated when they get stuck and pout when you go to help them (after they ask for help) because they couldn't figure it out themselves. They genuinely seem to enjoy games like Mario, Splatoon, MarioKart, and SSB more because they lack that frustrating element. Those are the games I see them return to again and again. Zelda gets played 5-10 minutes until they get stuck, but they play for hours on the other games. I'm not saying it's a universal truth, but I'm seeing a trend in these parts.

As I said though, agree to disagree.

Never understood why I could beat streets of rage 2 as a kid and Street fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty with only the h. Kick. Replayed both of those on Ps3 and can't beat either one on easy... I got soft as a adult

Never understood why I could beat streets of rage 2 as a kid and Street fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty with only the h. Kick. Replayed both of those on Ps3 and can't beat either one on easy... I got soft as a adult
Same for us regarding TMNT II on NES. My brother and I had no problem beating it when we were 7 and 8 respectively, and now we can't get past the 5th level lol. I don't remember those controllers hurting like that after a couple hours XD

Still different skills tho

Ign gave the Wolverine a great rating. Taking the day off to set up and play both Switches and then taking my son ( yeah he is 9)and the lady to see the Wolverine. F yeah!!! Let's go!!!

Same for us regarding TMNT II on NES. My brother and I had no problem beating it when we were 7 and 8 respectively, and now we can't get past the 5th level lol. I don't remember those controllers hurting like that after a couple hours XD

Still different skills tho
I could never beat that game! I could also beat Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage, I can't even Ollie right now

It isn't safe to open spoilers in this thread anymore lol
I am still laughing so hard at that picture. Whoever made it is clearly immensely talented, and they thought to themselves, "Oh, I know what I'll do with this skill."

At least that one is modest. Searching "pig furry" returned some... unfortunate results. I'm probably on some kind of list now.

Do you guys think there's a good chance to get the Switch at the Nintendo Store in NY? Heard that there were gonna be some in stock but i don't wanna get my hopes up. The lines will probably be huge.

I borrowed it from a friend and anytime I got stuck I would call that friend and ask him what to do. Sometimes it was multiple times an hour.

Good times. His parents probably loved that.

Do you guys think there's a good chance to get the Switch at the Nintendo Store in NY? Heard that there were gonna be some in stock but i don't wanna get my hopes up. The lines will probably be huge.
they said there would be a good amount. there's already people lining up (CND for example) and I'm sure many more will join in the next few days

That reminds me of how I spent what was likely months trying to get into the third dungeon in A Link to the Past before randomly realizing one day that there was a chunk of the mountain that wasn't there while you were in the Dark World. To be fair, I was only eight or so at the time, but I always laugh when I look back at that time, especially since I can now easily beat the entire game in a day if I really want to. I actually didn't even get a chance to play Ocarina of Time until I got the Master Quest disc for preordering Wind Waker (my family wasn't the richest, so usually any video games I had were old/used or bought with what little money a child could save up), so it never gave me any trouble by then.

Target at 8am launch day
damn. knowing my body i'll sleep right through that lol.

also, does anyone know if gamestop or some other retailer is offering trade in bonuses towards the switch console itself? i already have a master edition locked in at BBY and i'd rather but the system there for rewards points. but if i can trade in my wii u with the few games i have left and accessories i'd totally be down to do that.

OOT came out when I was around 6. I could not read, but I made it to the top of Ganon's Tower. I never beat the game though, because I couldn't figure out how to fight Ganon's second form. ^^;
Puzzles are pretty easy for some kids and difficult for others. I know I would figure out puzzles for an older sibling in Resident Evil, despite being unable to read anything going on.

That being said: Majora's Mask was a nightmare...if you couldn't read that game was unplayable. XD I barely beat the first temple before the moon fell, killed me, and left me thoroughly confused.

OOT came out when I was around 6. I could not read, but I made it to the top of Ganon's Tower. I never beat the game though, because I couldn't figure out how to fight Ganon's second form. ^^;
Puzzles are pretty easy for some kids and difficult for others. I know I would figure out puzzles for an older sibling in Resident Evil, despite being unable to read anything going on.

That being said: Majora's Mask was a nightmare...if you couldn't read that game was unplayable. XD I barely beat the first temple there lol. Then the moon fell, killed me, and I was thoroughly confused.

If we're talking about OOT experiences as a kid, I thiiink I got past the Water Temple but not much further, because I just found the game boring as hell.

Majora's Mask, though, that was my jam. Still vastly prefer it and Wind Waker to OOT. I'm more of a 2D Zelda fan in general, though. Minish Cap doesn't get enough credit.

By the way, idk if this has been posted (I didn't see it in the last few pages) but here's an extended look at 1-2 Switch. Some games look more interesting than I anticipated, but it still seems pretty light on content for a 50 dollar product. And that sword fighting thing looks like the worst kind of Wii shovelware.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sklH_gwkMs[/youtube]

Wow, Switch development kits are possibly just $500! Awesome news for Indie developers!

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/832938051231940610

lolol

If we're talking about OOT experiences as a kid, I thiiink I got past the Water Temple but not much further, because I just found the game boring as hell.

Majora's Mask, though, that was my jam. Still vastly prefer it and Wind Waker to OOT. I'm more of a 2D Zelda fan in general, though. Minish Cap doesn't get enough credit.

By the way, idk if this has been posted (I didn't see it in the last few pages) but here's an extended look at 1-2 Switch. Some games look more interesting than I anticipated, but it still seems pretty light on content for a 50 dollar product. And that sword fighting thing looks like the worst kind of Wii shovelware.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sklH_gwkMs[/youtube]
Minish Cap represent! I think it may be my favorite game ever for the GBA--and Pokemon Emerald is in that list too tho lol

I feel exactly the same regarding OoT and MM. Even playing both years later on 3DS, I still love MM and OoT is just okay. I know among LoZ fans, most tend to love one and dislike the other for some reason.

bread's done
Back