Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

I don't know if people are crapping on the hype or just discussing how they think Nintendo could have done things differently. I am sitting on a pre order and just bought a refurb wii u a week ago. I wish instead of a vague 'we might port some wii u games over' they would give a more definitive answer. If I knew tropical freeze and Mario and pikmin from wii u would be on switch I never would have grabbed a refurb.

This way I can at least do some Mario maker with my 5yr old daughter. Looking forward to that.

If you haven't pre-ordered the Switch and not excited for it, why are you here? To try and curb peoples enthusiasm? I'm 27 and can find more important shit to do, why is there a 45 year old posting negative shit throughout a preorder thread?

Sucks I can't be hype with other fans without "grown" men trying to shit on parades.
I ordered the Switch, was super hyped, was on here at midnight or whatever with everyone else when we nearly crashed CAG watching the live stream reveal from Nintendo.

As time has gone on, I've become frustrated at Switch. And I will continue to criticize it until I determine if I actually want the thing.

For most people here, this is a $500 purchase with few games at launch and A LOT of overpriced accessories.

Actually that is the general public and a pretty accurate sampling. It's the same thing I see.... it's the same thing you'd see in the wild if you went outside.
No, it is not. You are associating something you see often with something that is commonplace in society, let alone the world. Even in our country, where we have a large population of families with disposable income, as well the highest child poverty rate of any industrialized country, I might add, most families do not give their young children relatively large, expensive devices for the sole purpose of non-educational gaming.

I work with kiddos, K-12. I work in high-SES districts, as well as those where the majority of students are on free or reduced lunch. The only commonly seen devices are phones and laptops, more common in the suburbs, and that is in the secondary grades. When I'm out, I see children of all ages with devices, but it is certainly not most children. My son has a New 3DS XL, for instance, but I'm not letting him take it with him everywhere he goes.

TL;DR:

The Switch looks awesome, but expecting sales that rival that of smaller, cheaper, and more diverse electronic devices should not be expected, nor should sales that match that of the Wii or 3DS. There are smaller, more affordable devices that parents who are not gamers will see as a better value.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't pre-ordered the Switch and not excited for it, why are you here? To try and curb peoples enthusiasm? I'm 27 and can find more important shit to do, why is there a 45 year old posting negative shit throughout a preorder thread?

Sucks I can't be hype with other fans without "grown" men trying to shit on parades.
Calm down Donald Trump. It's OK for people to be critical of things they love and think can improve. I love Nintendo, that's why it's important for me for them to improve and do things better. Also this is an open forum not an only fanboy forums. People have different opinions. Get over it. If you want and echo chamber become rich and hire a bunch of yes people.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We all knew pre-orders were going to do well no matter what it being an nintendo console. Lots of folks pre-ordered a wii u too (me included & I for one was very happy with mine, still am infact) but what matters is that 1st impression. I still think as I stated earlier the switch will be the top selling console nintendo has ever released just by crunching the handheld/console sales of their past. If they get say half the combined sales of 3ds and wii u in the first year then we are looking at major numbers. It's just catering to a larger audience & the numbers don't lie. They can always go down but not up in price so I understand the $299.99 and feel lucky it wasn't $349.99. Apparently they was trying to keep price down as low as possible & including even a port of a game might not seem smart business wise for them. Basically I see where they were coming from because with no game bundled at $299.99 gives the consumer choice where as a $349.99 bundle with a game locked them to that particular game. In short the switch really is $359.98 with a game of your choice is what it boils down to. Consumers though don't always look at value in a logical way & like a nice pack in game even if they are paying for it. XB1 and PS4 bundles for $249.99 with a game is definitely a factor even if Nintendo don't admit to them being competition. In the end they are all gaming machines & the price had to be kept low as possible from the Big N.
But you said that if only Nintendo would have packed in a game and had online ready to go out of the gate that they would have gotten off to a great start with the Switch. Call me crazy but selling out of all their pre-orders is what I would call off to a great start considering we're still 3 weeks before launch. They don't have to include a pack-in game.

And while in a perfect world they should have everything ready to go at launch, the console launch is not the end game. IT's the starting gun at the beginning of a marathon.

Nowadays consoles are soft launched. And launch games have always been ho hum as a rule of thumb.

But you said that if only Nintendo would have packed in a game and had online ready to go out of the gate that they would have gotten off to a great start with the Switch. Call me crazy but selling out of all their pre-orders is what I would call off to a great start considering we're still 3 weeks before launch. They don't have to include a pack-in game.

And while in a perfect world they should have everything ready to go at launch, the console launch is not the end game. IT's the starting gun at the beginning of a marathon.

Nowadays consoles are soft launched. And launch games have always been ho hum as a rule of thumb.
Pre orders are great but not really useful unless you know the amount that they are supplying that was pre ordered. Additionally, a lot of people like myself pre-ordered at several places (2 consoles at 3 places) but I'm only gonna buy one or two. That means 6 pre orders that are only going to be converted to one or two actual purchases. I bet the majority of people here ordered at multiple places. This could have inflated pre order numbers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pre orders are great but not really useful unless you know the amount that they are supplying that was pre ordered. Additionally, a lot of people like myself pre-ordered at several places (2 consoles at 3 places) but I'm only gonna buy one or two. That means 6 pre orders that are only going to be converted to one or two actual purchases. I bet the majority of people here ordered at multiple places. This could have inflated pre order numbers.
We know the initial stock worldwide. 2 million. Looks sold out in US. Sold out in Japan from the looks of it. Don't know about Europe.

Not much else to go on 3 weeks before launch as to what kind of start it is off to. I don't even call it a start yet since it hasn't launched.

Your number of pre-orders is anecdotal. Add up all the CAG preorders and do we even get to a 1000? IF the 2 million in stock is divided equally 3 ways then NA is getting 667,000. 6,670 would be 1% of pre-orders. 1000 is roughly .15 percent of preorders. And this is only US CAGs.

Anyway how can you do better so far, 3 weeks before launch, than to sell out of your pre-orders? Seems so far, so good to me.

No, it is not. You are associating something you see often with something that is commonplace in society, let alone the world. Even in our country, where we have a large population of families with disposable income, as well the highest child poverty rate of any industrialized country, I might add, most families do not give their young children relatively large, expensive devices for the sole purpose of non-educational gaming.
So all the PS4, X1, WiiU, 3DS... and other systems that were sold in the last year were all bought by and for adults? I don't think so.

No one is talking about families too poor to buy systems. Obviously they aren't the target market Nintendo has in mind anymore than Ferrari is targeting me with their cars. I'm talking about reality... what actually kids have and get that actually get stuff. Not all the kids that don't get this stuff or maybe only ever gets something as a hand-me-down.

Um actually 3ds sales have been on a steady decline since 2013. Maybe waning wasnt the right choice, but honestly increased sales were likely mostly due to the release of pokemon go sparking a lot of renewed interest causing growth towards the end of the year. Here's a chart with data backed up by venturebeat and wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/27/nintendo-by-the-numbers-58-5m-3ds-handhelds-and-12-8m-wii-u-consoles-sold-to-date/

If you stick around for a while you'll learn to realize reggie is completely full of shit, and all of his industry doublespeek should be taken with a metric ton of salt. He'll always spin any quarterly earnings report in the most positive fashion he can. Honestly, I'd be trying to spin it any way i could with a near 50% drop in sales between 2014-2016.

Calling the the 3ds lineup through the holiday season anemic would be generous. Besides fire emblem, what even has a release date that doesn't look like shovelware? Reggie pulled the same line of crap about the ds not replacing the gba, its called hedging your bets. If the switch takes off, you better believe they'll be shifting all development to it.

A fire sale of a limited print item available only on black friday selling out isn't exactly a reasonable metric to measure demand.

I'm honestly not even going to respond to your anecdotal arguments. I liked it a lot more when you tried to use real data to contradict my claim.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
Thanks for your incomplete sales chart, only showing 3DS hardware sales through the first three months of 2016. If you look at Reggie's claim, he is actually correct, the hardware numbers are there for showing a surge in sales. And I know they relied on the new Pokemon games and low price 3DS to drive these numbers, but the fact is they sold units. And if you are a Nintendo fan this should be good news, I don't mind if one title drives sales to allow a company some room to figure out next steps and innovate. I think that your wrong about the fire sale measuring demand. I think both the 3DS and classic console are perfect examples on how Nintendo miscalculated supply and demand for their products. The price was low enough to drive demand so high that the product sold out quickly. Also, I did reference all 3DS consoles, which are still not available around me with the exception of a Pokemon XL preorder at Gamestop. All other versions aren't available within 250 miles, which is also a supply/demand problem (which Nintendo needs to fix soon). Look at the prices in the second hand market, and you will see that there is a big demand for the 3DS, or people wouldn't be able to charge as much as they are getting. The demand is there or else the shelves wouldn't sell out (including XLs not just the $99 version), and you would be able to get a 3DS for cost or lower, not $100 more than MSRP.

You think the only game coming out that isn't shovel ware is FE. I can't argue against your preferences, but I do have a few titles I am looking forward to including some of the Level - 5 games (Lady Layton, The Snack World) and Pikmin 3DS. I do hope more games are released, and I do hope this is one time Reggie is telling the truth and we get a few more quality titles.

I expect Reggie to spin the numbers in his favor, he isn't going against his employer. And if the switch takes off and they move all development to that console, that is smart business. Don't we want them to be delivering quality so people will continue to buy a product that could have a long life cycle with updated versions? This will spur better development and third parties to jump on board, which everyone is always complaining about anyway. I expect a company to act in their own best interest, and they better have different options depending on how well the switch does, or they are as shortsighted and doomed as everyone has been predicting since the early 90s.

Also, I find it ironic that you have no basis for your argument that casual fans won't buy the hardware, other than having smart devices, yet reject other observations regarding the same topic as anecdotal evidence. Considering my first console as a kid was an Atari 2600, I have been around long enough to know that Reggie isn't the best choice for the role he is in, but I still support Nintendo, because I like their products.

Pre orders really don't mean much when the wii u sold out of their pre orders and look how that ended up.

Couple in the fact since the wii u people have learned buy now and sell for a profit with Nintendo products them selling out could be misleading. Nintendo always creates artificial shortages to drive demand so we really won't know how well the switch is doing till at least 2018.

I have a very different unpopular opinion, and that is that Nintendo is killing it with the launch of the Switch.

I know, just hear me out.

There are serious issues that most of us have about the Switch going forward, but in the meantime Nintendo is selling out all of their preorder stock. The current demand also bodes well for whatever retail stock they have in the few months following the launch. Unless anything goes seriously wrong for them, Nintendo shouldn't have much trouble keeping sales up until we hit E3.

Many features clearly aren't ready yet, even basic ones like an internet browser, but there's no point in delaying the launch of the console if the games are ready. The lineup of launch games may not be huge, but it's generally high quality. Personally, I'll have Zelda and Isaac to play day one, with Tetris, Mario Kart, and Disgaea coming later in the spring, along with a few others that look interesting. That's plenty to keep me busy until summer.

The messaging behind the Switch also follows this line of thinking. Nintendo has ignored everything about the Switch other than its ability to play games, which is a brilliant way to communicate to their core audience. Day-one purchasers are getting a Switch for the games, not for anything else. We don't need to know about Netflix. We don't need to know about the OS. We're much more interested in picking apart the latest Zelda or Mario trailer, and those are the things that Nintendo has been giving us. They're making sure that their biggest fans stay excited, and so far it's working.

Now, while this strategy has set the Switch up for a successful launch, it only works in the short term. Eventually, Nintendo needs to focus on the rest of the gaming world and the casual market. Our discussion here proves that many people aren't willing to drop $300 on a Zelda machine. If they keep withholding basic information about the system and its future, the folks who are on the fence are going to get fed up and move on. I mentioned E3 before, because that's probably as far as Nintendo can get without filling out the Switch's feature set. And of course, we need to hear about more than "complete editions" of older games or Wii U ports. If there's not a better long-term strategy in place before the holidays, Nintendo could be in big trouble.

Until then, though, Nintendo has perfectly targeted the people who are willing to drop $300 on a Zelda machine, and apparently there are enough of us to buy them some time while they polish up the rest of the console.
While I agree with the spirit of your post and what you are saying here, the fact remains that four of the five games you have listed are available on other consoles, and some of them are even cheaper. Technically Zelda is on the Wii U too so that's all five.

I'm going to buy a few of these games too, because I want them on my newest Nintendo device. But the Switch isn't offering anything that is actually new until possibly during the holidays.

This is clearly a "wait and see" period of time and many of us so obviously have our judgement clouded by our fandom. I'm trying to maintain a practical approach, even though I buy most every console.

Pre orders really don't mean much when the wii u sold out of their pre orders and look how that ended up.

Couple in the fact since the wii u people have learned buy now and sell for a profit with Nintendo products them selling out could be misleading. Nintendo always creates artificial shortages to drive demand so we really won't know how well the switch is doing till at least 2018.
I saw Wii U consoles in stock on launch day and the days following up. I worked at BBY when the PS4 and X1 came out and we sold out on launch and every restock for quite a bit. Our store and the surrounding stores.

I saw Wii U consoles in stock on launch day and the days following up. I worked at BBY when the PS4 and X1 came out and we sold out on launch and every restock for quite a bit. Our store and the surrounding stores.
Right. I'm talking about pre orders not launch. The switch could do the same thing. Sell out of pre orders but me on th3 shelves at launch.

Ps4 did amazing to start and was quickly restocked for the holidays around me. Xbox one in my area was not hard to find at launch.

I think the issue that many people are struggling with is that most everyone wants to play the new Zelda, but doesn't see this as an appealing time to buy a brand new console system.  Which is perfectly logical and justifiable considering the lack of software support the Wii U received.  Had Zelda come out several months ago this system would be completely dead on arrival.   They delayed a game in order to rescue a console launch that most people would have otherwise largely ignored.   It's a trick; it's a smart tactic. 

The real nail in the coffin is not including both a charging grip and a pack-in game like 1-2 Switch.  This was a bad, very consumer-unfriendly decision.   If Zelda was not launching concurrently with the Switch, the customer's purchasing decision then becomes a no-brainer.  It's an obvious pass/not yet.  So I feel taken advantage of in multiple ways and I'm struggling with justifying a minimal $500-600 investment (for me.  It's not just buy one game for $400 wham bam thank you ma'am). 

On one hand I still want to play Zelda.   On the other hand, there are SEVERAL other top-notch games releasing this Spring including Nier:Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn, South Park, and Perona 5 most of all.  I'm balls deep in Nioh right now and that's going to last me about a month.  The answer of what a fence sitter should do is becoming more obvious by the day.   It might be a smart decision to just temporarily buy Zelda BotW on the Wii U for $48, sell it for ~$25 later on, and wait until the dust settles with the Switch. 

Right. I'm talking about pre orders not launch. The switch could do the same thing. Sell out of pee orders but me on th3 shelves at launch.

Ps4 did amazing to start and was quickly restocked for the holidays around me. Xbox one in my area was not hard to find at launch.
No pee orders here please.... :speaktothehand: :D/ :whistle2:

Right. I'm talking about pre orders not launch. The switch could do the same thing. Sell out of pee orders but me on th3 shelves at launch.

Guess it also depends on where you live, how many they got in stock etc etc. I remember our Xbox One stock was replenished a lot faster than PS4, but it still sold well here. Obviously not as well as the PS4. I guess we will see on March 3rd how the Switch is stocked on shelves. Also the night before, how many people are waiting in line, camping, etc.

I ordered the Switch, was super hyped, was on here at midnight or whatever with everyone else when we nearly crashed CAG watching the live stream reveal from Nintendo.

As time has gone on, I've become frustrated at Switch. And I will continue to criticize it until I determine if I actually want the thing.

For most people here, this is a $500 purchase with few games at launch and A LOT of overpriced accessories.
why $500

But you didn't include tax nor shipping with the 2ds/3ds pricepoints either. Nor did you include the cost of accessories with the 2ds/3ds pricepoints. Most of the 3ds models do not include a game. They don't even include the charger. But you didn't include that cost either did you? :)
Honestly, I said the 2DS/3DS cost is $80-$200, where is that not accurate with tax or not, with accessories or not, and with shipping? Both devices still fall well within that range. The 2DS is $80 new with a game, and the N3DS is what $150 at retail, and the classic games start at $20. A case and game for either still get you in the range I mentioned.

I think the price I gave for the NS at $400-$500 is accurate as well. Outside of a carry case, what accessories does either DS model need? Oh yeah, I almost forgot the charger, another few bucks. You don't need a controller, a charger for the controllers, and extra set of controls, and extra dock, or anything else. Once you buy the system, all you really need is games. The NS has accessories, that many will find to be required, and that is where my prices came from.

No where on the planet do you get a NS for $300, unless your staring at the box, with nothing else to do, as you can't even watch movies, or even browse the web with the base unit, so again, what are you doing with the $300 NS?

Your spinning facts, the same way "N" is saying the NS is a value at $300, and how instead of charging more for a game included, they are doing consumers the favor by letting them buy the game of choice, which is still $350 minimum, not counting tax, shipping, etc.

It is not $300, and unless a game is included for free, how is it $300? Nothing I stated about the 2DS/3DS is untrue in relation to the prices I've given. The NS is not $300 no matter how you and "N" want to spin it, it's just not.

You guys should really see Nintendo as a gaming company only. They have no other revenue streams like Sony and Microsoft do.

Nintendo produces enough Hardware to meet their shareholders expectations and that's it. They don't make operating software and other electronics like their "competition".

They won't go under or try to flood the market with product because they aren't like their competitors.

No where on the planet do you get a NS for $300, unless your staring at the box, with nothing else to do, as you can't even watch movies, or even browse the web with the base unit, so again, what are you doing with the $300 NS?
I thought they said the online service for the Switch would include one free game (rental style) per month?

If they give something from day 1, everyone that buys the system will have a game to play.

Still technically, I need the system and 1 game and with Prime (or GCU if that is your thing) it's pretty easy with tax and all to be there for about $370. I don't need any of the accessories.

But there are people that go crazy over accessories. For them, no system is cheap.

So all the PS4, X1, WiiU, 3DS... and other systems that were sold in the last year were all bought by and for adults? I don't think so.

No one is talking about families too poor to buy systems. Obviously they aren't the target market Nintendo has in mind anymore than Ferrari is targeting me with their cars. I'm talking about reality... what actually kids have and get that actually get stuff. Not all the kids that don't get this stuff or maybe only ever gets something as a hand-me-down.
The issue we were all discussing is if the Switch could generate similar sales to the 3DS, provided Nintendo has a future with a lone console. You seem to be discussing something else entirely.

Moving on, after seeing all of the "1, 2 Switch" content, I wonder if Nintendo thought the title was not strong enough to be a pack-in.

I thought they said the online service for the Switch would include one free game (rental style) per month?
I don't think that is happening at launch, and even if it did, who is spending $300, to play classic game for one month? You could buy a N3DS now, spend less, and buy the game and still be better off. But technically, you may be right in regards to their online service.

Because they've convinced themselves as trying to convince others you need every accessory known to man.
This. The Joy-Cons charge on the system, and most likely don't need a carrying case right away.

At launch, I'm spending 347.98 (luckily, though, I paid all of that off with trade-in credit). I have pre-ordered the pro controller, but it will be returned if the Joy-Con grip is suitable.

What is the purpose of the constant need to disprove everything Nintendo related in this thread? Are we suppose to be discouraged from purchasing a Switch? We all understand everyone has varying opinions and personal beliefs, but it seems like nothing positive can be said without a "factual" reply looking to discredit a post. I enjoy reading some of the insightful comments but no matter what, nothing will ever be good enough for some people.

Because they've convinced themselves as trying to convince others you need every accessory known to man.
Right now I'm at a little over $200 with Zelda and Bomberman after my launch PS4 trade-in. I may be more if I keep the Pro controller, but I may be less if Bomberman gets bad reviews.

What is the purpose of the constant need to disprove everything Nintendo related in this thread? Are we suppose to be discouraged from purchasing a Switch? We all understand everyone has varying opinions and personal beliefs, but it seems like nothing positive can be said without a "factual" reply looking to discredit a post. I enjoy reading some of the insightful comments but no matter what, nothing will ever be good enough for some people.
Cuz, you're super cool if you make fun of things that other people want..... o_O

I have the system, charging grip, pro controller, Zelda ME, Bomberman, and the binding of issac preordered. I'm excited for it.

Honestly, I said the 2DS/3DS cost is $80-$200, where is that not accurate with tax or not, with accessories or not, and with shipping? Both devices still fall well within that range. The 2DS is $80 new with a game, and the N3DS is what $150 at retail, and the classic games start at $20. A case and game for either still get you in the range I mentioned.

I think the price I gave for the NS at $400-$500 is accurate as well. Outside of a carry case, what accessories does either DS model need? Oh yeah, I almost forgot the charger, another few bucks. You don't need a controller, a charger for the controllers, and extra set of controls, and extra dock, or anything else. Once you buy the system, all you really need is games. The NS has accessories, that many will find to be required, and that is where my prices came from.

Your spinning facts, the same way "N" is saying the NS is a value at $300, and how instead of charging more for a game included, they are doing consumers the favor by letting them buy the game of choice, which is still $350 minimum, not counting tax, shipping, etc.

It is not $300, and unless a game is included for free, how is it $300? Nothing I stated about the 2DS/3DS is untrue in relation to the prices I've given. The NS is not $300 no matter how you and "N" want to spin it, it's just not.
New 3ds XL is $200. No charger. No game. We know why you said $200. :)

Last post you said you needed $500 minimum to enjoy the Switch. Now it's $350 minimum? :)

WE know the list prices of the systems. We know how much games are and that accessories are optional. We also know the 3ds platform is 6 yrs old.

What new system isn't more than the old system? Yet new systems somehow sell and eventually over years become the cheaper old system.

I have the system, charging grip, pro controller, Zelda ME, Bomberman, and the binding of issac preordered. I'm excited for it.
Dude, this is a portable-capable system with a touchscreen. You forgot to order a screen protector for it. You're going to want to have a decent screen-protector. I already have a tempered glass screen-protector pre-ordered. I'd jump on that some time before launch day if I were you.

I have pre-ordered the pro controller, but it will be returned if the Joy-Con grip is suitable.
This is actually where I am at right now. I have a Pro Controller pre-ordered but if the grip feels good then the Pro Controller can wait until I actually need a Dpad.

I don't think that is happening at launch, and even if it did, who is spending $300, to play classic game for one month? You could buy a N3DS now, spend less, and buy the game and still be better off. But technically, you may be right in regards to their online service.
Stop trolling. This is a pre order thread. You in or not? You keep moving the goal posts and use a ton of straw man arguments.

You're right. The Switch could be doing even better than the 2 million stock available for launch indicates. There might be hundreds of thousands even millions that want one at launch already and can't pre-order.

But all we have to go on so far is pre-orders. And that they have 2 million units available for launch.

I think the issue that many people are struggling with is that most everyone wants to play the new Zelda, but doesn't see this as an appealing time to buy a brand new console system. Which is perfectly logical and justifiable considering the lack of software support the Wii U received. Had Zelda come out several months ago this system would be completely dead on arrival. They delayed a game in order to rescue a console launch that most people would have otherwise largely ignored. It's a trick; it's a smart tactic.

The real nail in the coffin is not including both a charging grip and a pack-in game like 1-2 Switch. This was a bad, very consumer-unfriendly decision. If Zelda was not launching concurrently with the Switch, the customer's purchasing decision then becomes a no-brainer. It's an obvious pass/not yet. So I feel taken advantage of in multiple ways and I'm struggling with justifying a minimal $500-600 investment (for me. It's not just buy one game for $400 wham bam thank you ma'am).

On one hand I still want to play Zelda. On the other hand, there are SEVERAL other top-notch games releasing this Spring including Nier:Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn, South Park, and Perona 5 most of all. I'm balls deep in Nioh right now and that's going to last me about a month. The answer of what a fence sitter should do is becoming more obvious by the day. It might be a smart decision to just temporarily buy Zelda BotW on the Wii U for $48, sell it for ~$25 later on, and wait until the dust settles with the Switch.
90% of consoles are sold what? 6 months after launch? 1 year maybe? Let's not play this game where, because a console isn't something you need or want to get on day one, that you're being taken advantage of or that it means a nail in its coffin.

Dude, this is a portable-capable system with a touchscreen. You forgot to order a screen protector for it. You're going to want to have a decent screen-protector. I already have a tempered glass screen-protector pre-ordered. I'd jump on that some time before launch day if I were you.
I'm putting my faith in Nintendium. I'll check reviews after launch to see if there's any really good options, though. Maybe we'll get to see some drop tests shortly after launch.

Btw Amazon Spain has pre-orders for NEON Switch up right now. $332 shipped you get it on the 7th or $317 & you get it on the 15th or so.

While I agree with the spirit of your post and what you are saying here, the fact remains that four of the five games you have listed are available on other consoles, and some of them are even cheaper. Technically Zelda is on the Wii U too so that's all five.

I'm going to buy a few of these games too, because I want them on my newest Nintendo device. But the Switch isn't offering anything that is actually new until possibly during the holidays.

This is clearly a "wait and see" period of time and many of us so obviously have our judgement clouded by our fandom. I'm trying to maintain a practical approach, even though I buy almost every console.
You're 100% right about the games. No one needs a Switch to play any of those. They're great to have if you plan to pick up the console at launch, but they're not going to convince anyone who's undecided on the Switch itself. That's why it's going to be so important for Nintendo to pivot toward the future after launch.

There is one thing that the Switch offers that sets it apart from the other consoles, though: portability. It's probably not a big deal for most people, but it's huge for me. Almost all of my gaming comes on 3DS or Vita; it's just the way I prefer to play games.

90% of consoles are sold what? 6 months after launch? 1 year maybe?
Actually most consoles get the majority of their hardware sales 2 to 3 years after they launch. You usually don't see serious numbers start to move until after the first major hardware revision. At least, that is the case with the more recent console generations. And it isn't a hard-and-fast rule either.

It mainly applies to long-tail consoles. This is what happened with pretty much all of Nintendo's handhelds. The first version may sell decent, but it never sells the best. The second and third revisions are where the REAL numbers start to rack up. Sony's consoles have also been long-tail sellers. The first PlayStation sold decent in its first few years, but it wasn't until after it's first few price drops that it started shifting crazy numbers. Ditto for the PS2. This model has held consistent for the 360 and PS3 as well.

Certain consoles like the Wii have been outliers. This is why so many people view the Wii as an industry-disrupting aberration. It sold a huge number of units, but it did so very quickly, and very early in its run. It sold strong right out of the gate, and continued to sell almost frighteningly well for three and a half years.

If Nintendo is hoping for another Wii-style scenario, they may end up being disappointed. The current market is extremely competitive, with plenty of inexpensive options on every front. The competitors are entrenched, doing well, and aren't making mistakes. There's much less weakness to exploit here. Nintendo would be much better advised to try to make the Switch a long-tail seller. There is far more possibility there. The Switch has some appealing features, and can be revised down the line to help enhance its portability. Processing power is not a requirement for a long-term seller. Plenty of under-powered hardware platforms have sold longer than their competitors. What they need is a respectable base of users, solid 3rd-party support, and the patience and courage to invest in this platform long-term. Sony was wise not to just walk away from the PS3, despite it's rough start.

Cuz, you're super cool if you make fun of things that other people want..... o_O

I'm probably one of their favorite consumers thus far:

Preordered:

1 gray console

1 neon console

2 pro controllers

1 set of red joycons

1 set of blue joycons

switch messenger bag
screen protector
stand
Power A - Joy-Con Charging Dock
Power A - Comfort Grip X 2

1-2-Switch
The Legened of Zelda Breath of the Wild X 2
Bomberman R
The binding of Issac
Has Been Hereos
Yooka-Laylee
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Mania
Redout
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Arms

One console is for a friends birthday along with one copy of zelda. The rest selfishly all mine

I'm putting my faith in Nintendium. I'll check reviews after launch to see if there's any really good options, though. Maybe we'll get to see some drop tests shortly after launch.
I strongly urge you to re-think that faith, lol.
My brand new Gamepad broke a few days out of the box when I first got it. I only had Wii games for it, and literally only used the browser with the Gamepad. One day the screen started to become unusable, the left side was unresponsive and then suddenly I put my stylus on the right side to swipe the page down and it went right through the screen. Big tear in the corner. The thing was defective, it overheated despite having only just turned it on that day (on the bright side: they replaced it with this amazing touch screen that is WAY better quality than the one I had). Then there was my 3DS XL, which I dropped (closed) a short distance onto carpeting, and the top LED screen shattered. The New 3DS XL I bought to replace it? The touch screen came out of box barely in place. I will have to fix that one day, 'cuz I'm sure whatever solidering there is holding the one side up will come undone.
In short: they don't make them like they use to...buy some protection lol. I baby the hell out of my new consoles, but my old ones are scratched to shit, dropped multiple times, yet none have ever broken on me until I bought the 360, Wii U, and 3DS systems.

I'm probably one of their favorite consumers thus far:

Preordered:

1 gray console

1 neon console

2 pro controllers

1 set of red joycons

1 set of blue joycons

switch messenger bag
screen protector
stand
Power A - Joy-Con Charging Dock
Power A - Comfort Grip X 2

1-2-Switch
The Legened of Zelda Breath of the Wild X 2
Bomberman R
The binding of Issac
Has Been Hereos
Yooka-Laylee
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Mania
Redout
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Arms

One console is for a friends birthday along with one copy of zelda. The rest selfishly all mine
What screen protector did u order? Thinking about buying some random tempered glass one on Amazon. 50/50 shot. The one i bought for my Pixel is garbage, but the one I got for family member's tablet was spot on.

bread's done
Back