Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Yeah I'm still taking that into account though. Many nes game boards only took up less than half the space but some later games & unlicensed boards took up most of the case. That was what was so great about the NES even though the hardware didn't change the extra chips that could be added on later game boards actually was making the console capable of so much more than what is was capable of in 1985. Super Mario Bros compared to Super Mario Bros 3 I believe is a perfect example. Everything from the graphics to the audio was so much improved. The 6502 CPU was so versatile alongside the PPU in the NES & no one could get more out of them than Nintendo. Programmers for the NES were the best the world has ever seen once you understand what they were working with.
Also considering what home computer games looked like at the time, it's even more miraculous. Despite the C64 and ZX Spectrum only being a couple of years older, their games are, to me, completely unplayable nowadays while there are plenty of NES games that hold up just fine.

Every time I've tried to play a C64 game I end up wishing for death within a few minutes. Except for Law of the West. That's the one good one.

Most were mostly empty there were a select few that took most the cart esp the battery backup ones.
Yep, true.

How has nintendo managed to make the switch so tiny? Then again just look at this & also factor in 30 game cartridges each of which is about as large as the nes classic. This shrinkage occurred over 30 years though so it's a bit more understandable than the switch compared to Wii U.

tumblr_ol2h7fvyMF1rr6e7xo9_540.jpg
tumblr_mwu2720SsK1rm4mpho1_500.jpg

Nintendo doesn't believe the internet exists. #AlternativeFacts
They just haven't figured out a way to lock it down to their satisfaction. That's always their problem, they want full control of it regarding their products, and it comes off haphazard and clunky. Instead of leveraging the advantages, they actively work against it. They want their entire footprint on the Internet to be entirely under their iron fist. They have always been this way - all the way back to trying to control third party games on the NES.

They just haven't figured out a way to lock it down to their satisfaction. That's always their problem, they want full control of it regarding their products, and it comes off haphazard and clunky. Instead of leveraging the advantages, they actively work against it. They want their entire footprint on the Internet to be entirely under their iron fist. They have always been this way - all the way back to trying to control third party games on the NES.
hey man let's just exchange friend codes

Hello. For all of those who preordered on Walmart .com after the announcement on Jan 12th and chose store pickup. .. what is the status of your orders? Do they show as pre-orders? Undefined? Did Walmart cancel anyone's orders??
It doesn't show up on my recent orders list on walmart.com. I bought it through PayPal. If I were you, just in case I would preorder it somewhere else if you have the chance. That's what I did.

I'm going to make a rather BOLD prediction today that the switch will be the most successful Nintendo console in the company's history. Everything to me points to it such as:

Versatility: which will only grow in the future with possible joycon dpad configurations, game specific joycons, larger joycons, multicolored joycons. Something for all gamers to rejoice over.

Variations: new iterations of the switch such as a small gba sp style handheld with outstanding battery life & slim sleek form factor that easily folds making pocket carry so easy. Also a dedicated home console version at a very affordable price point.

Value: With switch coming out of the gate at a fairly inexpensive price point it's only going to get better. All the big nintendo franchises with a large development team coming together from past handheld/console divisions to produce so many 1st party titles at record setting pace on simple to develop for switch platforms.

The three V's for victory is what I see in this recipe. Going to be tough for the Big N to screw this up.
I also have a feeling this is going to do almost as good as the Wii, or maybe even better. The core gamers will want one after a couple of years when it has a shitload of games. Since basically all future game development from Nintendo will be focused on it, that means the Switch will amass a good library fairly quickly. And I think the system will also appeal to the casual crowd. Not just because of the JoyCons, but because of the portability aspect.

I know most people won't agree with us, but I also see this doing great numbers.

I'm all for quality, over qty, but when your releasing games like ZERO, that are mediocre, I'm saying why waste the years delivering an inferior product, when it's very apparent, most of the hardcore crowd will buy shit on a stick from "N", and if their willing to buy crap, all I'm saying is why the long wait. If that fan base is buying lesser games due to the name on the box, why not get new games and content more often, than waiting a few years for an average game. Apparently a lot of users here don't mind the wait, and or the less than best games, so nothing I'm stating is changing that.
If that was really the case, games like Federation Force and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash wouldn't have flopped as badly as they did. Nintendo gamers don't buy shit just because it has a Nintendo logo on it. They buy it if it they think it's good.

Games like Mario Party are another story. But I suspect most of those sales come from casuals.

I agree with you there on some of what I might call secondary franchises from them them. Star fox was a let down to me with the forced second screen controls. Nintendo clearly not listening to its consumers about metroid and releasing garbage and slapping the metorid name on it isn't up to snuff. I don't really understand because they have tons of franchises to pull from and generally are pretty good with coming up with new IP's. Spaltoon was a good new IP and I think Arms at the very least looks intriguing for recent IP's. I personally think were going to get alot of ports and wii u updated games for the first year before we start seeing real dedicated games to the switch. I have a hard time buying that Mario Odyssey was being made for the switch. Almost certain that started off as a wii u game before moving it over to the switch. I do have every reason to believe it'll be out this holiday as they have nothing else to help holiday sales at the moment.
Yep, according to a lot of rumors, Mario Odyssey was a title originally made for the Wii U, but Nintendo moved development over toward the Switch when they realized the Wii U was a lost cause. It's supposedly even already finished. Nintendo just isn't releasing it now because they want a killer app for the holidays.

Same thing for Pikmin 4. It's supposedly another ported Wii U title, and purportedly already finished as well. It should be announced at E3. Wouldn't surprise me if it releases this year or early the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get why people care if a internet browser is included or not...

Doesn't everybody have a computer? Smart phone? Yeah....

Netflix, yeah, should be on there...but browser? Nah.

I think NIntendo learned that they shouldn't have browsers on their devices. Helps to hack them.

I think NIntendo learned that they shouldn't have browsers on their devices. Helps to hack them.
If there was nothing to complain about what would people do here? Have a rational adult conversation?!?!?!!!

I don't particularly care either as long as it offers a good online service for the games such as having voice chat or at minimum text chat. Having said this though I did enjoy checking my email & facebook on my wii u gamepad as well as posting in game screenshots to facebook.

This is 100% a reason for the slow dev time on the browser, and maybe even other apps too. (the rest is the system being released as early as possible) Anything extra on the system leaves it open to exploitation. When every major handheld in the last 20 years has been cracked wide open, it makes Nintendo wonder what the value of these other apps even are.

The Switch not having an internet browser isn't a big deal to me, but I've seen a lot of comments about how consoles never have great browsers, and that's just not true.  The Wii U has a great, fast browser, I use it for streaming and off-tv browsing pretty often.  

It's no surprise with the pirates using the Wii U's browser to hack the system that Nintendo is in no hurry to include one in the Switch.

Found an interview Reggie did with a youtuber a couple weeks back, where he's DIRECTLY asked about virtual console game purchases being transferred to Switch via the Nintendo account system:

https://youtu.be/G_OgxrwWZU8?t=2m50s

(Started the video 30 seconds prior to the question, because the one that precedes it was actually funny)

His response, I shit you not: "We've heard that comment. We're working on it." Classic Reggie.

I know I'm in the minority here, but boy do I hate using my desktop...one of my favorite things about the Wii U was being able to browse the Internet during commercials while watching tv and streaming movies/anime on my TV screen using the Internet browser. Sure I could use my phone for this, but that would kill the battery, plus it's a small screen. That's just me though. So this whole no browser at launch is just more reason for me to wait to buy the console.
(Edit: whoops, accidentally hit send...damn you mobile lol).

Yep, according to a lot of rumors, Mario Odyssey was a title originally made for the Wii U, but Nintendo moved development over toward the Switch when they realized the Wii U was a lost cause. It's supposedly even already finished. Nintendo just isn't releasing it now because they want a killer app for the holidays.

Same thing for Pikmin 4. It's supposedly another ported Wii U title, and purportedly already finished as well. It should be announced at E3. Wouldn't surprise me if it releases this year or early the next.
That's what I was thinking. The first year/year and half would be games developed for the Wii U. After that maybe we see some truly developed Switch games

I don't particularly care either as long as it offers a good online service for the games such as having voice chat or at minimum text chat. Having said this though I did enjoy checking my email & facebook on my wii u gamepad as well as posting in game screenshots to facebook.
No voice chat in 2017 would be beyond ridiculous and show us they're still not taking online serious. I wouldn't be happy playing a multiplayer game and not being able to talk. I can find a way around that sure but really it is 2017/

No voice chat in 2017 would be beyond ridiculous and show us they're still not taking online serious. I wouldn't be happy playing a multiplayer game and not being able to talk. I can find a way around that sure but really it is 2017/
What would leave you to believe there is no voice chat?

What would leave you to believe there is no voice chat?
That was in response to the other user saying they'd at least accept text chat. So far what I've seen allows voice chat granted through another app so it remains to be seen how great it'll really be.

I'm not sure if people are glossing over it but people have said the main reason they care about no browser is it means no way to be able to sign into public wifi spots since you cant agree to the TOS to connect.

I'm not sure if people are glossing over it but people have said the main reason they care about no browser is it means no way to be able to sign into public wifi spots since you cant agree to the TOS to connect.
Could be a massive issue. We will know at launch, and then I would complain about it if it is a problem.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense, especially when a 'smart' device is required for all social features. Who is able to afford this thing and doesn't have some form of smart phone/tablet/computer....? Although deader brings up a good point about signing into public wifi.

I also have a feeling this is going to do almost as good as the Wii, or maybe even better. The core gamers will want one after a couple of years when it has a shitload of games. Since basically all future game development from Nintendo will be focused on it, that means the Switch will amass a good library fairly quickly. And I think the system will also appeal to the casual crowd. Not just because of the JoyCons, but because of the portability aspect.

I know most people won't agree with us, but I also see this doing great numbers.
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but it seems like this will be about as successful as the gamecube, but not quite wii u levels of tanking. They'll likely never reach the market penetration they achieved with the wii on any future console. The wii had considerably more mainstream appeal, launched during the hot holiday shopping season in direct competition with the playstation 3 that was nearly 3 times as expensive without a game. The system became part of the cultural zeitgeist because of its appeal to non gamers and casuals. Wii bowling with grandma and grandpa was what sold the wii. What does the switch have to offer to that same consumer? I'm sure gamers will love the system, but without that casual market that's moved onto mobile, this will never be the success the wii was.

What does the switch have to offer to that same consumer? I'm sure gamers will love the system, but without that casual market that's moved onto mobile, this will never be the success the wii was.
Never thought about that. Huh. Someone ought to make a mobile home console device.

I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but it seems like this will be about as successful as the gamecube, but not quite wii u levels of tanking. They'll likely never reach the market penetration they achieved with the wii on any future console. The wii had considerably more mainstream appeal, launched during the hot holiday shopping season in direct competition with the playstation 3 that was nearly 3 times as expensive without a game. The system became part of the cultural zeitgeist because of its appeal to non gamers and casuals. Wii bowling with grandma and grandpa was what sold the wii. What does the switch have to offer to that same consumer? I'm sure gamers will love the system, but without that casual market that's moved onto mobile, this will never be the success the wii was.
We'll see. I just have a feeling it will appeal to the casuals. Not just like the Wii, but like DS and 3DS did as well. Just a gut feeling.

Anyway, we shall know soon enough how hot it turns out to be. Especially once Christmas rolls around. If it's the hot item to get then, then it'll likely have a good life.

Found an interview Reggie did with a youtuber a couple weeks back, where he's DIRECTLY asked about virtual console game purchases being transferred to Switch via the Nintendo account system:

https://youtu.be/G_OgxrwWZU8?t=2m50s

(Started the video 30 seconds prior to the question, because the one that precedes it was actually funny)

His response, I shit you not: "We've heard that comment. We're working on it." Classic Reggie.
Loved that interview. Made me subscribe to that Jared guy when I saw it. And Reggie was pretty damn funny.

This is how I felt when Splatoon came out in 2015. Such a great title, but it felt slightly gimped because of that. Thankfully though that will no longer be the case. Every multiplayer title will have voice chat and party chat according to what Nintendo has said about the multiplayer app. It seems they have learned their lesson.

Not to mention they wouldn't be able to get away with that anymore now that online will be behind a paywall. They can't charge for online and not offer voice chat.

This is how I felt when Splatoon came out in 2015. Such a great title, but it felt slightly gimped because of that. Thankfully though that will no longer be the case. Every multiplayer title will have voice chat and party chat according to what Nintendo has said about the multiplayer app. It seems they have learned their lesson.

Not to mention they wouldn't be able to get away with that anymore now that online will be behind a paywall. They can't charge for online and not offer voice chat.
The plus side for me but potentially negative for others is you aren't able to chat with people you don't know. I have no intention on ever using the voice chat anyway, but I'm glad to know if I did I won't have to listen to strangers yell profane nonsense at me through a video game.

lol yes, it was certainly Deader who first "brought up" the fact that we wouldn't be able to accept the TOS to sign in to public wi-fi. 

Too bad no one can read well enough to carry an "adult conversation." Geez. Makes me wonder if those who don't care about a browser even plan on using the portable feature of the Switch. 

Personally, I just want the online features of my games to be almost as portable as the console itself. For example, I'm an avid Pokemon event collector so I frequently trade over GTS (with the occasional battle in between). I can't do those things without internet access. If Pokemon ever moves to the Switch, you know Imma need to access some public wi-fi. Short term tho, I'm looking forward to Mario Kart Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

#lettherebeabrowser 

We'll see. I just have a feeling it will appeal to the casuals. Not just like the Wii, but like DS and 3DS did as well. Just a gut feeling.

Anyway, we shall know soon enough how hot it turns out to be. Especially once Christmas rolls around. If it's the hot item to get then, then it'll likely have a good life.
Honestly, I don't see the casuals having much interest in this. On the surface, it appears to be a tablet. Now we all know it's more than that, but to see it, that is probably the first reaction most will have. Then they will see the rather high price tag, and then ask why is this tablet 4x more expensive than a cheap tablet that runs even cheaper games?

There is no casual market that will be buying $60 games, and $70-$90 accessories. As I've stated before, if the NS would have been $200 and included that 1 2 game, they may have had a better chance of getting off to a great start, but with the price, and the line-up of games, I'm just not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I've seen this all before, and it doesn't end well.

The plus side for me but potentially negative for others is you aren't able to chat with people you don't know. I have no intention on ever using the voice chat anyway, but I'm glad to know if I did I won't have to listen to strangers yell profane nonsense at me through a video game.
With Nintendo being so big on parental controls, I'm sure there will be an option to turn it off, or to only allow party chat, or something like that.

That's a way to add groups etc. there will be built in chat with out the phone app. See below.

https://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-Gaming-Stereo-Headset-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N5PB7VV
I'm well aware of that but being enthusiastic about a phone app doesnt get me excited. Voip services needing to be put off to another device is a bit concerning to me. I've also seen conflicting reports saying if you dont want to invite your friends you can play the game with strangers and talk through the console itself. Less than a month away and they've yet to really run through a video detailing online in depth. It's just concerning. I absolutely hated online play with the wii u. It was such garbage compared to any other device today. Maybe it'll work fine but consider me concerned and in wait and see mode on that. Not expecting the world just easy convenient chat.

lol yes, it was certainly Deader who first "brought up" the fact that we wouldn't be able to accept the TOS to sign in to public wi-fi.

Too bad no one can read well enough to carry an "adult conversation." Geez. Makes me wonder if those who don't care about a browser even plan on using the portable feature of the Switch.

Personally, I just want the online features of my games to be almost as portable as the console itself. For example, I'm an avid Pokemon event collector so I frequently trade over GTS (with the occasional battle in between). I can't do those things without internet access. If Pokemon ever moves to the Switch, you know Imma need to access some public wi-fi. Short term tho, I'm looking forward to Mario Kart Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

#lettherebeabrowser
Very valid concern. If I wanted to play on lunch at work for example I couldn't even do that do to the sign in page. Seems counterproductive for an on the go to device to not be able to connect on the go at launch.

Honestly, I don't see the casuals having much interest in this. On the surface, it appears to be a tablet. Now we all know it's more than that, but to see it, that is probably the first reaction most will have. Then they will see the rather high price tag, and then ask why is this tablet 4x more expensive than a cheap tablet that runs even cheaper games?

There is no casual market that will be buying $60 games, and $70-$90 accessories. As I've stated before, if the NS would have been $200 and included that 1 2 game, they may have had a better chance of getting off to a great start, but with the price, and the line-up of games, I'm just not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I've seen this all before, and it doesn't end well.
Like I said, we shall see soon enough.

This one is $15 as well, and has BotW art. Doesn't look as sturdy as that one, but it does look better. :p http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-premium-console-case-zelda-edition/140255

There's also this one at $20, which does look as sturdy as yours, but has a nice, minimalist design with the Sheikah logo.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-game-traveler-zelda-blue-deluxe-travel-case/141857

I just think it would be wise to temper your expectations a little. There's no single piece of software that sells this to the casual market right now. The wii clocked in at 50 dollars less with a piece of software that clearly sold the concept of the machine as a new way to interact with software and appealed to casuals. The DS cost 1/3 of the switch, and didn't have the competition from smart devices, which can be seen in waning 3ds sales. Nintendo was lucky and caught lightning in a bottle when wii fever hit the nation, something they weren't able to capitalize on with the wiiu. Unfortunately their near glacial pace of adapting to the modern videogame landscape leaves me concerned. Everything they've shown with the switch leads me to believe they haven't learned much from past mistakes with the wiiu.

The gaming market has shifted considerably in the decade since the wii launched. Why would a casual consumer spend almost 400 dollars on a switch and 1 game when they can get an ipad for the same price with a near infinite number of casual games for "free". Plus you can facebook, twitter, browse, netflix, email, spotify and pretty much anything else. The switch is targeted at core gamers, and all the launch games should be a pretty clear indicator of that, with the exception of just dance. Taking all that into consideration, expecting the switch to even sell half as much as the wii sold seems unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong though. Nothing would make me happier than to be 100% off, and nintendo smashes it out of the park, dominating the rest of this generation. It just seems very unlikely given all we've seen to date. What does seem highly likely is that they'll try and sell all the same virtual console games at the same obscene prices, drip fed to us 3-4 titles a month. This kind of ties into my concerns with paid subscription service. If their plan for both wasn't a halfbaked mess then why haven't they shown it? What benefit do they gain from withholding that information until launch? I'm concerned there may be some features they know people aren't going to be happy about, and this is just a tactic to quiet negative press till after launch. Thoughts?

Well if they market the Switch like that then there is no hope.

Don't get me wrong though. Nothing would make me happier than to be 100% off, and nintendo smashes it out of the park, dominating the rest of this generation. It just seems very unlikely given all we've seen to date. What does seem highly likely is that they'll try and sell all the same virtual console games at the same obscene prices, drip fed to us 3-4 titles a month. This kind of ties into my concerns with paid subscription service. If their plan for both wasn't a halfbaked mess then why haven't they shown it? What benefit do they gain from withholding that information until launch? I'm concerned there may be some features they know people aren't going to be happy about, and this is just a tactic to quiet negative press till after launch. Thoughts?
Like most I do think the Switch was rushed to market. Not having Netflix and YouTube at launch is a clear sign of that. That's why they also haven't announced VC games yet. It's just not ready. But I do think it'll come soon after launch. They need at least a few titles to keep Switch owners occupied.

I also expect they'll do the same thing they did with the Wii U: offer VC titles at a discounted rate ($1.50 or so) for those who already bought them for Wii or Wii U.

I'm well aware of that but being enthusiastic about a phone app doesnt get me excited. Voip services needing to be put off to another device is a bit concerning to me. I've also seen conflicting reports saying if you dont want to invite your friends you can play the game with strangers and talk through the console itself. Less than a month away and they've yet to really run through a video detailing online in depth. It's just concerning. I absolutely hated online play with the wii u. It was such garbage compared to any other device today. Maybe it'll work fine but consider me concerned and in wait and see mode on that. Not expecting the world just easy convenient chat.
I saw this headset a while back but I still have a bad feeling about it possibly being a mistake or something. Why on Earth doesn't nintendo offer a 1st party headset especially considering they are selling everything from extra joycons, docks, etc...Myself I like sticking to nintendo brand things for my nintendo products. I'm not big on chatting anyway but it would be fun to listen to others rage in mario kart. It would just add so much to the game imo.

I saw this headset a while back but I still have a bad feeling about it possibly being a mistake or something. Why on Earth doesn't nintendo offer a 1st party headset especially considering they are selling everything from extra joycons, docks, etc...Myself I like sticking to nintendo brand things for my nintendo products. I'm not big on chatting anyway but it would be fun to listen to others rage in mario kart. It would just add so much to the game imo.
Oh I agree there. At the very least being able to chat with my friends and playing it would be great but I would be open to talking to others or at least have the option to. I recently invested in a nice pair of headphones and picked up a inline external mic to further help out chat. Im hoping that will do the trick although I have various headsets to give it a try. I guess that is a plus is being able to use what ever you feel comfortable with.

Like most I do think the Switch was rushed to market. Not having Netflix and YouTube at launch is a clear sign of that. That's why they also haven't announced VC games yet. It's just not ready. But I do think it'll come soon after launch. They need at least a few titles to keep Switch owners occupied.

I also expect they'll do the same thing they did with the Wii U: offer VC titles at a discounted rate ($1.50 or so) for those who already bought them for Wii or Wii U.
That's a reasonable hypothesis. I bought tons of wii vc games, but never transfered them to the wiiu, so I'd be boned on that end. Oh well I'm sure I could find a way to play all the vc games I ever wanted for free.

I just think it would be wise to temper your expectations a little. There's no single piece of software that sells this to the casual market right now. The wii clocked in at 50 dollars less with a piece of software that clearly sold the concept of the machine as a new way to interact with software and appealed to casuals. The DS cost 1/3 of the switch, and didn't have the competition from smart devices, which can be seen in waning 3ds sales. Nintendo was lucky and caught lightning in a bottle when wii fever hit the nation, something they weren't able to capitalize on with the wiiu. Unfortunately their near glacial pace of adapting to the modern videogame landscape leaves me concerned. Everything they've shown with the switch leads me to believe they haven't learned much from past mistakes with the wiiu.

The gaming market has shifted considerably in the decade since the wii launched. Why would a casual consumer spend almost 400 dollars on a switch and 1 game when they can get an ipad for the same price with a near infinite number of casual games for "free". Plus you can facebook, twitter, browse, netflix, email, spotify and pretty much anything else. The switch is targeted at core gamers, and all the launch games should be a pretty clear indicator of that, with the exception of just dance. Taking all that into consideration, expecting the switch to even sell half as much as the wii sold seems unrealistic.

Casuals buy the Swtich if 1 2 Switch etc looks fun. Just like they bought the Wii cause WiiSports etc looked fun.

The online isn't ready. The big hint was they said it won't be a paid service until fall. Many Wii U games have online play and it works pretty well. I don't see why the new stuff won't work as well or better. I guess if it bugs you that NIntendo hasn't given out specific details regarding online then you aren't going to be a buyer for now.

But the lack of info is not going to have an effect on the success of the Switch in the end. Console launches are always fairly slow ramp ups especially nowadays. And 90%+ of consoles are sold after 6 months maybe even after the 1st year.

bread's done
Back