Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Thanks for your incomplete sales chart, only showing 3DS hardware sales through the first three months of 2016. If you look at Reggie's claim, he is actually correct, the hardware numbers are there for showing a surge in sales. And I know they relied on the new Pokemon games and low price 3DS to drive these numbers, but the fact is they sold units. And if you are a Nintendo fan this should be good news, I don't mind if one title drives sales to allow a company some room to figure out next steps and innovate. I think that your wrong about the fire sale measuring demand. I think both the 3DS and classic console are perfect examples on how Nintendo miscalculated supply and demand for their products. The price was low enough to drive demand so high that the product sold out quickly. Also, I did reference all 3DS consoles, which are still not available around me with the exception of a Pokemon XL preorder at Gamestop. All other versions aren't available within 250 miles, which is also a supply/demand problem (which Nintendo needs to fix soon). Look at the prices in the second hand market, and you will see that there is a big demand for the 3DS, or people wouldn't be able to charge as much as they are getting. The demand is there or else the shelves wouldn't sell out (including XLs not just the $99 version), and you would be able to get a 3DS for cost or lower, not $100 more than MSRP.

You think the only game coming out that isn't shovel ware is FE. I can't argue against your preferences, but I do have a few titles I am looking forward to including some of the Level - 5 games (Lady Layton, The Snack World) and Pikmin 3DS. I do hope more games are released, and I do hope this is one time Reggie is telling the truth and we get a few more quality titles.

I expect Reggie to spin the numbers in his favor, he isn't going against his employer. And if the switch takes off and they move all development to that console, that is smart business. Don't we want them to be delivering quality so people will continue to buy a product that could have a long life cycle with updated versions? This will spur better development and third parties to jump on board, which everyone is always complaining about anyway. I expect a company to act in their own best interest, and they better have different options depending on how well the switch does, or they are as shortsighted and doomed as everyone has been predicting since the early 90s.

Also, I find it ironic that you have no basis for your argument that casual fans won't buy the hardware, other than having smart devices, yet reject other observations regarding the same topic as anecdotal evidence. Considering my first console as a kid was an Atari 2600, I have been around long enough to know that Reggie isn't the best choice for the role he is in, but I still support Nintendo, because I like their products.
Yeah that was my bad providing incomplete sales data. It still pretty clearly shows a downward trend in sales data starting at 2013, and only picked up this year due to renewed interest in pokemon. I'm not claiming that this data should be ignored, but likely wont be a trend that continues through 2017, especially with such a weak software lineup, and the launch of a new piece of portable hardware.

The items that sold out this holiday season were supplied in extremely limited quantities, using that as a metric to judge success isn't fair. The new 3ds was 1/3 cheaper than msrp, and the NES classic was driven by a market of scaplers, not people genuinely interested in acquiring the product for personal use. Nintendo misjudging demand and not having enough units in the market shouldn't be taken as a success. It should be troubling that nintendo can't judge demand, or manage supply in a way that 3 months after the biggest shopping holiday of the year there still aren't 6 year old 3ds units on the shelves....

I specifically mentioned 3ds games with actual release dates. I agree that there are games slated for 2017 that could be good, but most don't even have a release date, so we likely wont see them till the end of the year. My point being there isn't much compelling software to spur sales like we had last year.

My basis for saying casuals wont buy the system is the last 5 years of nintendo losing money hand over fist in the console market. 3ds sales are incredibly soft in comparison to ds, and the wii u was a comercial disaster. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out casuals have moved on to gaming on smart devices.

I'd gladly take actual data or real information, but your observations based on people you know, or what your kids like is 100% anecdotal, which is why I chose not to engage with you on that subject. The problem with your anecdote is I can easily tell you I know 25 people who play games casually that won't be buying the switch and don't even know what the console is. Or the 3 kids in my family under 16 only game on desktop or ipad. It doesn't prove anything, and we get into a meaningless debate about meaningless information.

I actually think reggie is great at his job. I just know better than to believe anything that comes out of his mouth that doesn't have actual numerical data associated with it. Thanks for the well thought out response though, please don't take my criticism as anti nintendo. I love the company, they were my childhood. But to not take an extremely critical eye to their failures in the market over the last 5 years seems shortsighted and fanboyish. I want nintendo to succeed, I just don't believe the upper management at NOJ will allow that to happen as long as they are mired in conservative business practices from 2 decades ago.

I have some BBY credit that I want to use on screen protector and case.

Seems BBY is only offering the PDP official screen protector (I don't think I need tempered glass since I have never dropped my phone, Vita or tablet) and the Insignia case.

Haven't used any of those brands before, are they adequate in terms of quality?

EDIT: Just saw the POWER A official messenger bag, that looks cool and "official", it has separate console holder for everyday use, and when I need to bring it over to parties, I can fit the dock and cords in it. A little bit pricey though, and no idea about the quality. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly urge you to re-think that faith, lol.
My brand new Gamepad broke a few days out of the box when I first got it. I only had Wii games for it, and literally only used the browser with the Gamepad. One day the screen started to become unusable, the left side was unresponsive and then suddenly I put my stylus on the right side to swipe the page down and it went right through the screen. Big tear in the corner. The thing was defective, it overheated despite having only just turned it on that day (on the bright side: they replaced it with this amazing touch screen that is WAY better quality than the one I had). Then there was my 3DS XL, which I dropped (closed) a short distance onto carpeting, and the top LED screen shattered. The New 3DS XL I bought to replace it? The touch screen came out of box barely in place. I will have to fix that one day, 'cuz I'm sure whatever solidering there is holding the one side up will come undone.
In short: they don't make them like they use to...buy some protection lol. I baby the hell out of my new consoles, but my old ones are scratched to shit, dropped multiple times, yet none have ever broken on me until I bought the 360, Wii U, and 3DS systems.
Damn, that's some terrible luck. I've dropped my gamepad and 3DS countless times with no issue. Gamepad has even been flung against the wall multiple times, and still no issues. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'd like to buy a screen protector, but those tempered glass ones available now look pretty bad. Fingerprint hell, and will be incredibly frustrating for multi-touch input games (which there will undoubtedly be a lot of on Switch). Plus with all of the talk about how beautiful the Switch screen is, I really don't want to put some crappy glass screen over it.

Damn, that's some terrible luck. I've dropped my gamepad and 3DS countless times with no issue. Gamepad has even been flung against the wall multiple times, and still no issues. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'd like to buy a screen protector, but those tempered glass ones available now look pretty bad. Fingerprint hell, and will be incredibly frustrating for multi-touch input games (which there will undoubtedly be a lot of on Switch). Plus with all of the talk about how beautiful the Switch screen is, I really don't want to put some crappy glass screen over it.
Most glass if not all are oleophobic now. Not to mention most glass is superior to plastic. But do you.

Most glass if not all are oleophobic now. Not to mention most glass is superior to plastic. But do you.
I mean, I don't want the plastic either. I gave up on plastic screen protectors long ago. I'll wait to see what the reviews end up looking like for these, but at $5 each I'm not hopeful.

Actually most consoles get the majority of their hardware sales 2 to 3 years after they launch. You usually don't see serious numbers start to move until after the first major hardware revision. At least, that is the case with the more recent console generations. And it isn't a hard-and-fast rule either.

It mainly applies to long-tail consoles. This is what happened with pretty much all of Nintendo's handhelds. The first version may sell decent, but it never sells the best. The second and third revisions are where the REAL numbers start to rack up. Sony's consoles have also been long-tail sellers. The first PlayStation sold decent in its first few years, but it wasn't until after it's first few price drops that it started shifting crazy numbers. Ditto for the PS2. This model has held consistent for the 360 and PS3 as well.

Certain consoles like the Wii have been outliers. This is why so many people view the Wii as an industry-disrupting aberration. It sold a huge number of units, but it did so very quickly, and very early in its run. It sold strong right out of the gate, and continued to sell almost frighteningly well for three and a half years.

If Nintendo is hoping for another Wii-style scenario, they may end up being disappointed. The current market is extremely competitive, with plenty of inexpensive options on every front. The competitors are entrenched, doing well, and aren't making mistakes. There's much less weakness to exploit here. Nintendo would be much better advised to try to make the Switch a long-tail seller. There is far more possibility there. The Switch has some appealing features, and can be revised down the line to help enhance its portability. Processing power is not a requirement for a long-term seller. Plenty of under-powered hardware platforms have sold longer than their competitors. What they need is a respectable base of users, solid 3rd-party support, and the patience and courage to invest in this platform long-term. Sony was wise not to just walk away from the PS3, despite it's rough start.
Yeah I know. I said 90% of consoles are sold after 6-12 months. Obviously that says that a majority are sold after an even longer period than that. A majority is as low as 51%.

The Wii wasn't much different (than) other consoles in terms of how sales panned out. Compare it to the PS2. Years 2-4 were the highest selling years for both. Wii just dropped off quicker after those peak years 2-4 and lasted only 6 years while the PS2 sold for 8 or 9 at least. Sony sold PS2 well into the PS3 lifecycle. PS2 numbers below only go up to 2007.

I don't think anyone sets out to make a console that isn't long tail. :) I think it's a matter of getting the cost down to keep reaching people that didn't buy in at higher pricepoints and a broad library. I think the PS2 had a broad (& deep) library. Wii not as much. And Sony did a much better job getting the cost down. Nintendo tried the Wii Mini but was too little, too late. Lots of PS2s also sold cause it was a DVD player as well. That was a big deal back then. I wouldn't doubt if that extended its lifecycle.

Wii sales

yr 1: 13 million

yr 2: 22 million

yr 3: 21 million

yr 4: 20 million

yr 5: 13 million

yr 6: 11 million

PS2 sales
yr 1: 10.5 million

yr 2: 18 million

yr 3: 22 million

yr 4: 20 million

yr 5: 16 million

yr 6: 16 million

yr 7: 14 million

yr 8: 10 million

3ds sales

1st yr:  15 million

2nd yr:  15 million

3rd yr:  13 million

4th yr:  7.5 million

5th yr:  7.5 million

6th yr:  7.3 million

I have some BBY credit that I want to use on screen protector and case.

Seems BBY is only offering the PDP official screen protector (I don't think I need tempered glass since I have never dropped my phone, Vita or tablet) and the Insignia case.

Haven't used any of those brands before, are they adequate in terms of quality?

EDIT: Just saw the POWER A official messenger bag, that looks cool and "official", it has separate console holder for everyday use, and when I need to bring it over to parties, I can fit the dock and cords in it. A little bit pricey though, and no idea about the quality.
That's the same bag I preorded. seems like it'd hold just about everything.

My basis for saying casuals wont buy the system is the last 5 years of nintendo losing money hand over fist in the console market. 3ds sales are incredibly soft in comparison to ds, and the wii u was a comercial disaster. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out casuals have moved on to gaming on smart devices.
IT is the casual handheld games that moved to mobile. The casual customers followed.

But the Wii customers didn't "leave" Nintendo to go to mobile. They just didn't see why they needed a Wii U.

How do you think Nintendo got those Wii customers in the first place when it didn't have them before? They made stuff that those people ended up wanting enough that they bought the Wii.

That's Nintendo's job again with the Switch. Make stuff that is fun and unique enough that consumers will pay for it.

I had a dream about playing this thing last night guys. The hype levels are out of control.

P.S. The pseudo d-pad on the joycon worked pretty well with Shovel Knight in my dream. Figured I'd give you all an update.
Ha ha, I had a dream about the Switch a few weeks ago, too. In it I was holding the Switch and looking at it all over. There was a big Switch logo on the back of the device, which surprised me. Turns out it actually exists in the real thing. Seems my subconscious had noticed it when looking at the reveal trailer.

In my dream the Switch had analog triggers, though. Wish that was the case instead of the digital ones. :whistle2:(

IT is the casual handheld games that moved to mobile. The casual customers followed.

But the Wii customers didn't "leave" Nintendo to go to mobile. They just didn't see why they needed a Wii U.

How do you think Nintendo got those Wii customers in the first place when it didn't have them before? They made stuff that those people ended up wanting enough that they bought the Wii.

That's Nintendo's job again with the Switch. Make stuff that is fun and unique enough that consumers will pay for it.
Right, and there isn't a single damn piece of software that will entice them to buy the system. The wii came packed in with wii sports, something you can play with grandma at the nursing home, all for 50 dollars less than the switch with no games. What game offers that same casual experience to pull non gamers away from their ipads? How will this be any different at swaying those same customers that thought the wii u wasn't worth their time? If the wii diehards wouldn't buy a wiiu then how will this be any different? Only time will tell, but it seems extremely unlikely for nintendo to recapture that crowd they lost to mobile with this console release.

There are are couple of dudes here who are clearly not interested in the Switch. I also don't get why they are here. Why waste your time in a thread about it if you're not interested in the product? Seems like a real waste of time.

But there are some who are interested in the Switch, but just pessimistic about its future, like Chris and Jamesesdad seem to be. I don't think it's fair to tell those like them that they shouldn't be here. They still want the device. They're just worried about it. While I don't agree with their opinion or with their predictions, they should have a place here. Their opinions are just as valid as those of us who are more optimistic about the device. As long as they're respectful to others, their opinion should be heard, and shouldn't be silenced like some are trying to do here. There's nothing wrong with disagreements as long as people can argue in a mature manner. Which both of them have been doing. When you tell them to get out it's you who actually aren't being respectful. You should rethink your way of looking at the world. 

Ikr? These are the first consoles I've bought for myself, since I got a ps2 for Christmas in middle school. Yet they all broke right away...two right after warranty ended. =_=
But anyway, I'm not saying go out and get a screen protector per-say (I'm sure they make them better now, but the last one I used ruined the touchscreen on my DS). I just recommend getting some kind of protective case other than a carrying case. I got a hori clear case on my gamepad, that's enough to protect the screen from a fall. The clunky thing itself (as much as I love it) looks like it was made to withstand impact, but the switch looks more fragile. I wouldn't walk around with nothing protecting it. I understand wanting to wait for reviews though, I'm just saying: better safe than sorry.

There are are couple of dudes here who are clearly not interested in the Switch. I also don't get why they are here. Why waste your time in a thread about it if you're not interested in the product? Seems like a real waste of time.

But there are some who are interested in the Switch, but just pessimistic about its future, like Chris and Jamesesdad seem to be. I don't think it's fair to tell those like them that they shouldn't be here. They still want the device. They're just worried about it. While I don't agree with their opinion or with their predictions, they should have a place here. Their opinions are just as valid as those of us who are more optimistic about the device. As long as they're respectful to others, their opinion should be heard, and shouldn't be silenced like some are trying to do here. There's nothing wrong with disagreements as long as people can argue in a mature manner. Which both of them have been doing. When you tell them to get out it's you who actually aren't being respectful. You should rethink your way of looking at the world.
Thank you. I found it kind of disconcerting people were piling on chris, calling him a troll, and telling others to block him because they disagreed. Obviously our pov's are more in line with one another, but I felt like even before the debate about sales potential, he was contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way.

I really enjoyed his story about preordering japanese games in LA in the early 90's. Growing up in NYC, around the late 90s when I was in highschool, I'd frequent a lot of the import shops in Chinatown. One of the places I went to so regularly, the owner would pretty regularly hook me up, charge me 5-10 bucks less than sticker price. This was pretty weird for a whiteboy, as all my asian friends that went there always got charged full sticker price. So his story really resonated with me.

But I digress, substantive discussion, and fun stories are why I've been coming back to this thread. Don't be an asshole and tell someone to leave because you disagree with them.

And just to be clear, I have the system preordered, and I'm very excited to play it. I've owned every nintendo console (still got the virtual boy), I really do love their games. But when you love something or some one, it hurts you that much more when they fuck up, and Nintendos been doing a lot of fuck ing up lately. As a life long customer spending the better part of 400 dollars to play their new system, you better believe I'm going to be critical of their business decisions over the last 8 years.This comment on the switch release presentation made me laugh but seemed spot on

"Watching the Nintendo Switch presentation is like watching an ex girlfriend who has so much potential but is totally making the same fuck ing mistakes over and over and you just want to shake them and tell them to stop."

Lots of questionable decisions, which likely will hurt system sales. For the asking price, it should have included a game. At 300 dollars with nothing included it will be compared to tablets, and the other home consoles. For the money, there isn't a lot of value there, short and long term. No pack in game, very pricey controllers, and ambiguous major 3rd party support. It all looks pretty bad to me.

Still, the fact they even did a superbowl add does give me more confidence in them. But as a customer of their home consoles, the last 8 years have left me extremely skeptical. I want to be wrong, I want nintendo to succeed,  but none of their messaging about the switch has eased my doubt.

My dream about the Switch involved playing with Splatoon-splattered Joy-Cons.

I want a special edition so bad.

At some point, I was playing a BotW and Balto crossover (my little cousins were watching it for the first time last night, oh the feels)

My Switch dream was that my dong was a Joy-Con and an Asian girl in a Mario 3D World cat suit was milking it.

Right, and there isn't a single damn piece of software that will entice them to buy the system. The wii came packed in with wii sports, something you can play with grandma at the nursing home, all for 50 dollars less than the switch with no games. What game offers that same casual experience to pull non gamers away from their ipads? How will this be any different at swaying those same customers that thought the wii u wasn't worth their time? If the wii diehards wouldn't buy a wiiu then how will this be any different? Only time will tell, but it seems extremely unlikely for nintendo to recapture that crowd they lost to mobile with this console release.
Yeah, my Aunt bought a Wii after playing it at my house during the holidays one year, and she was as casual as it gets. She may have played it at home once or twice, and that was it. She got caught up in the "fad" of it all, by co-workers, and whomever else, as it was the "hot" item for a good long while. End the end, she just played games on her smart devices, as it was cheaper and easier to use and play. I think she represented the majority of people who bought the Wii at the time. "N" offered a rather "simple" machine, and simple was the next big thing worldwide that was beginning to happen, with simple smart devices like the iPhone.

I believe they where just trying to save a buck, so they recycled the GC hardware, added in the WiiMote, and crossed their fingers. And it was at the right place, at the right time. Every new home console since the NES has sold less than the previous version with the exception of the Wii, it was the anomaly. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Those are the facts of "N" home hardware sales. Since the NS is neither home console, or handheld entirely, it is another wild card, as I can't say it will follow the pattern of home consoles, as I don't see it doing as bad as the Wii U, but I also don't think it will follow the handheld trend either, so I think it will end somewhere inbetween the Wii U and 3DS sales numbers.

I found the Wii to be "N" starting point for realizing they could no longer compete in the straight up hardware wars, so they did something very different for gaming that was rather "new". In the long term, it's like everything else they ever do, the concept is there, but their plans and ideas past launch are normally rather cloudy. It was like the Wii U, when finally a few years in when the system was dying a slow death, they come up with Star Fox, Guard, and that robot game(that was just recently announced as no more), as 3 games to show what the tablet could do and was about. How or why was the tablet even released, if your 3 years in and your just coming up with unique ideas for it?

Like I said yesterday, they build first, and plan later, and it's just not a well thought out business strategy.

Base console $320

Zelda: $55 for base or $90 for SE (If you're snagging SE. I am.)

Pro Controller: $75

Total: $455 - $485

or ...

Legend of Zelda: BOTW base for the Nintendo Wii U: $48

EDIT: That damn Pro Controller for $75 really bugs me. Way too much money for a Nintendo controller. It would have been cool if I could have used my Wii U Pro Controller. But apparently I can't because it doesn't have ice cubes in it. Or something.

Last generation if you preferred to play a home console you missed out on all the 3DS games. If you preferred to play a handheld you missed out on all the Wii U games.

I think Nintendo needs to clearly state that the Switch will replace the 3DS. If that happens every single Nintendo game from now on will be available on both a handheld and a home console. That would be great for everyone but Nintendo hasn't conveyed that message.

Base console $320

Zelda: $55 for base or $90 for SE (If you're snagging SE. I am.)

Pro Controller: $75

Total: $455 - $485

or ...

Legend of Zelda: BOTW base for the Nintendo Wii U: $48

EDIT: That damn Pro Controller for $75 really bugs me. Way too much money for a Nintendo controller. It would have been cool if I could have used my Wii U Pro Controller. But apparently I can't because it doesn't have ice cubes in it. Or something.
then I guess every console ever made is at least $60 more then MSRP? figuring a game's cost into it just seems dumb

then again, I also think preordering a 70 damn dollar controller when you don't even know how the included grip feels is pretty dumb too

Yes the base cost of every console release that had no pack-ins or was not backwards compatible has an additional cost of software. Otherwise you are just buying a decorative piece.

However, extra controllers and other accessories (minus the charger for the 3DS) have all been optional and should not be included as a start up cost.

Last generation if you preferred to play a home console you missed out on all the 3DS games. If you preferred to play a handheld you missed out on all the Wii U games.

I think Nintendo needs to clearly state that the Switch will replace the 3DS. If that happens every single Nintendo game from now on will be available on both a handheld and a home console. That would be great for everyone but Nintendo hasn't conveyed that message.
Probably will happen when 3ds is on its last legs

A dockless holiday switch for $200 could be a real possibility, huge seller, and captures the 3ds crowd perfectly.

This makes too much sense for Nintendo though so likely will not happen :)

One major benefit I keep forgetting about the Switch is that Load times will be better for most games on the Switch.  Zelda is already shown to be faster loading.  But in general, pretty much all games that are multiplatform will load faster on the Switch.  The only competition would be the Vita & 3DS in that regard but memory constraints on those systems end up factoring in quite a bit on games that end up with too much loading.

Add in that games coming on carts means more complete games right out of the gate.  So Disgaea 5 Complete should include pretty much everything.  No DLC required.  The more "complete" physical games we get, the better.   That's one thing sorely lacking on most systems these days.  Granted Nintendo does allow patches and stuff on 3DS games, but typically right out of the gate the games all at least work without the patches.... so more of that on a console is a great thing.

Add in that games coming on carts means more complete games right out of the gate. So Disgaea 5 Complete should include pretty much everything. No DLC required. The more "complete" physical games we get, the better. That's one thing sorely lacking on most systems these days. Granted Nintendo does allow patches and stuff on 3DS games, but typically right out of the gate the games all at least work without the patches.... so more of that on a console is a great thing.
Why would cartridges automatically mean less patches than discs? Disgaea 5 is only including everything because it's coming out later than the original release. It's no different than a PS3 game including all DLC when ported to PS4. The games that have simultaneous releases on PS4 and Switch in the future will likely get all the same patches.

But all my PS4 games work great without any patches, so I'm not concerned either way. It's a misconception that just because most games have patches they are broken without them.

what is the consensus of the pro controller? I am thinking of cancelling my pre-order and just use the joy-con.
I'd argue that if you didn't like playing games like Xenoblade, Mario Kart, etc with the Wii U tablet thing, you might be better off paying the $70 for the controller and get a better experience.

what is the consensus of the pro controller? I am thinking of cancelling my pre-order and just use the joy-con.
I'm still in the fence about it. Still up for preorder on Best Buy. Part of me wants it but then again it is $70. I might just pass on it for now and get it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasn't there been Nintendo events where people had the opportunity to test it out?
The smartest thing to do, I think, would be to purchase both at launch. Open the console, play around with the different Joy-Con configurations, and see how it feels. If it works to your liking, return the unopened pro controller.

This is what I plan to do.

Most reviews are positive, but there are some who think it is a step-down from the Wii U version. I have also heard some reviewers assert that it is better than the XB1 controller, but no reviewer I have come across has said it was as good as the Dual Shock 4.

It also has digital triggers.

I'm thinking of trying to collect all of the physical Switch games released in the US. Not sure if it's going to be worth it but I do love collecting things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about pulling them away from their iPads. It's about making new experiences that customers want to pay for.

They didn't lose Wii customers to mobile. They just didn't offer up anything with the Wii U that customers wanted to pay for. People would have been playing mobile games even if the Wii U was a hit.

The two (mobile and Wii U) don't have anything to do with each other. And again how do you think they got Wii customers in the first place? By creating stuff out of thin air that people wanted to buy. STuff that people never knew they wanted before Nintendo made it.

Not everything is a hit. They tried to make stuff people wanted with the Wii U and it flopped.

Now it's back to the drawing board again and the Switch is their new product that will attempt to wow and woo customers.

IT's no different than say STeven Spielberg making a movie. He makes ET. He makes INdiana Jones. Then he puts out Hook and it flops. Then he makes another flop maybe. Then a hit. Just because he makes a flop or two after a few hits doesn't mean customers have left him and are never coming back. They come back when he makes a good movie again. Ditto with NIntendo.

1 2 Switch has potential to move units to customers beyond core gamer types and Nintendo fans. WE haven't seen most of the game yet afaik. I know I haven't. They haven't even marketed the game yet either afaik. The system isn't out. Does it look like 1 2 Switch will be as big of a hit as WiiSports to me? Nah. But it looks like it will be fun in social settings with friends and family. It has potential to appeal to a broader audience.

Hasn't there been Nintendo events where people had the opportunity to test it out?
Not enough to have a valid review.

I pre-ordered two just in case. I expect I'll use the Switch 80% of the time in Handheld mode so the controller would be pretty useless to me. But by all accounts the "grip" with the Joycons feel good (seems that gets enough play by people...Pro controller always seems ignored)

and since Im getting two switches...I see even less of a point.

(Why pay $80 for Joycons and $90 for a dock and not get an extra switch for $100 more?)

Why does it matter? I think Nintendo is letting the customer vote on it. If they like it as a handheld and like the games on it then it will probably replace the 3ds.

I don't see any reason to get a pro controller.

I will try and play Zelda without the grip as well. and just kick back on the couch with my hands at my side. and play that way ... assuming Zelda allows it.

I had it pre-ordered at Amazon and cancelled it. I may end up picking it up down the road when there's a sale (or when there's games that play more naturally with a standard controller). I figured I'll give the Joy-cons a go first. I wouldn't expect the Pro controller to be especially hard to find, or so I hope.

I'm not factoring in adding a suppressor, laser sights and a scope to my controller, so the "grip" is the least of my concerns.
well no, you fuckin dummy, you don't use suppressor because it reduces damage, you want to use flash hider or compensator (or muzzle brake if it's a DMR or equivalent) and laser sight usually just gives your position away

vertical grip is always required though, along with acog or holographic

The smartest thing to do, I think, would be to purchase both at launch. Open the console, play around with the different Joy-Con configurations, and see how it feels. If it works to your liking, return the unopened pro controller.

This is what I plan to do.

Most reviews are positive, but there are some who think it is a step-down from the Wii U version. I have also heard some reviewers assert that it is better than the XB1 controller, but no reviewer I have come across has said it was as good as the Dual Shock 4.

It also has digital triggers.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm going with an extra Joy-Con and the charging cradle due to the flexibility and not having to buy lots of extra controllers to play an occasional four player game like Bomberman or Tetris/Puyo, but for those on the fence it sounds wise.

As far as the reviews, if someone thinks the DS4 is the superior controller, their reviews on controllers should be immediately discounted. The stick layout has never been considered ideal, and the placement of the PS/Mode/Share buttons is garbage - particularly next to the XB1. And that doesn't touch the terrible battery life and inability to replace it. I've got four of them, too (part of why the flexibility of the Joy Con appeals to me).

bread's done
Back