Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Neon and SE store pick up. I wish my 9 year old did not have school so he could come experience the possible spectacle. My oldest waited outside the NY Nintendo store with me for the Wii and the Wii Fit Balance Board. He was teenager at the time so I was less concerned about the lack of sleep. I do not see any movement on GS ME but WM processed payment for grey.

Neon and SE store pick up. I wish my 9 year old did not have school so he could come experience the possible spectacle. My oldest waited outside the NY Nintendo store with me for the Wii and the Wii Fit Balance Board. He was teenager at the time so I was less concerned about the lack of sleep. I do not see any movement on GS ME but WM processed payment for grey.
Pft, call him out sick! He'll miss one day of school but gain a lifetime of memories.

So am I SOL if I want a Hori tempered glass Screen Protector on or near launch day? Amazon says it'll take weeks until they get their next shipment in.

Pft, call him out sick! He'll miss one day of school but gain a lifetime of memories.
Not to be a bad influence, but I would do the same. Since my son is homeschooled, I don't have this issue today but some of my fondest memories as a child was getting a new video game system.

My stuff is also now preparing at BB. 5 More daysssssss
Same here! Now I can no longer cancel and wait in line to possibly get one at midnight. Oh well

Last edited by a moderator:
So 2.4A is confirmed to not charge while you play? That seems really odd, since the Nyko Switch charger, on it's Amazon page, say's "2.4 Amps of power lets you charge while you play". While it doesn't say it's officially licensed by Nintendo, and Nyko hasn't been known for their quality 3rd-party products, it seems odd that they'd make a Switch accessory that won't work.
I believe this was the article posted a little earlier: https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/nintendo-switch-unboxing-preview/

It looks like they were having an issue charging and playing with a 5V/3A charger. The one omission from their test from the battery pack was that the one they were using wasn't Quick Connect 3.0. Seems to make a difference in detecting how much power to put out.

So am I SOL if I want a Hori tempered glass Screen Protector on or near launch day? Amazon says it'll take weeks until they get their next shipment in.
This is Hori's US site, but they are terrible most of the time in regards to stocking high demand items, and they don't even have the NS accessories listed yet. Keep an eye out this week, as they may update and offer items before release, but if and when they do, stuff will go quick.

http://stores.horiusa.com/

Star Fox Zero wasn't great, but it was a decent game. Most of the hate I see it get are from bandwagoners that never played it.
I mean even Aonuma admitted the gamepad disrupts gameplay. I don't think he directly said he was talking about Star Fox, but he said this not long after the release of it.

All a lot of people wanted was just a normal Star Fox game like 64 but with better graphics. Instead we got a pseudo remake with gimmicky controls nobody wanted. It was just another instance of Nintendo showing how out of touch with their fans they continue to be.

I believe this was the article posted a little earlier: https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/nintendo-switch-unboxing-preview/

It looks like they were having an issue charging and playing with a 5V/3A charger. The one omission from their test from the battery pack was that the one they were using wasn't Quick Connect 3.0. Seems to make a difference in detecting how much power to put out.
I was about to bite on a charger too. The test did state that the charger he was using only supported 5V/3A but the actual official a/c adapter was 15V/2.4A. So I am wondering if a 19V or higher, 3A would allow playing and charging.

I was looking at this:

iClever QC 3.0

In my professional opinion as a school teacher, keep his ass home and build some memories!

My shipped Switch from Best Buy just changed to "Preparing", but my in-store pick-up one still hasn't moved.

This is Hori's US site, but they are terrible most of the time in regards to stocking high demand items, and they don't even have the NS accessories listed yet. Keep an eye out this week, as they may update and offer items before release, but if and when they do, stuff will go quick.

http://stores.horiusa.com/
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

I was about to bite on a charger too. The test did state that the charger he was using only supported 5V/3A but the actual official a/c adapter was 15V/2.4A. So I am wondering if a 19V or higher, 3A would allow playing and charging.

I was looking at this:

iClever QC 3.0
Does the switch use QC 3.0 or does it use USB PD? With the included power supply using 15v, that looks more like USB pd to to me.

My shipped Switch from Best Buy just changed to "Preparing", but my in-store pick-up one still hasn't moved.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
You won't see movement until Thursday. We have them but orders won't come through the system till Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing yet on my best buy order i hope this moves soon so nervous about credit card authorization fraud getting in the way like it always does

uh-oh-gif.gif

All of my Amazon orders for Switch related stuff(System, LOZ SE, LOZ ME) is saying March 1st shipment. Also add me to the list of people with a Gray wanting the Neon. Doubt it's worth it to buy the extra Joycon pack(i have the Neon Joycons pre-ordered).

I wanted to get Zelda digitally but was afraid there would be issues with the eShop at launch, so I pre-ordered the standard. Not opening the bundles.

Also I still haven't decided on a MicroSD card, I'll probably pick up the 128gb one. Do games on Carts have to install any game data? That's one thing I hated with my Vita.

Hoping my local stores will have cases after launch. I'd prefer to actually see the cases before deciding.

Another question I have do the Joycons charge while playing in portable mode? Or if they die and you snap them on the console is it like playing with a wired controller? I see myself playing it on the go or in bed mostly. So I don't think I'll pick up the Pro controller. I barely touched my Wii Classic and WiiU Pro controllers.

I mean even Aonuma admitted the gamepad disrupts gameplay. I don't think he directly said he was talking about Star Fox, but he said this not long after the release of it.

All a lot of people wanted was just a normal Star Fox game like 64 but with better graphics. Instead we got a pseudo remake with gimmicky controls nobody wanted. It was just another instance of Nintendo showing how out of touch with their fans they continue to be.
Couldn't agree more. They took a great game and ruined it, for no reason, with motion controls.

All of my Amazon orders for Switch related stuff(System, LOZ SE, LOZ ME) is saying March 1st shipment. Also add me to the list of people with a Gray wanting the Neon. Doubt it's worth it to buy the extra Joycon pack(i have the Neon Joycons pre-ordered).
Mine have been that way since I applied my gift card balance to them at the beginning of Feb except for Bomberman, since I still owe like $20. That one JUST changed recently.

Ohhhh my best buy switch changed to preparing... what a spicy way to wake up on a sunday
Did you get charged as well for the console yet? I got charged got my joycon earlier but Switch had some issues with my bank which I had to call and fix but it still says "failed authorization" on the BB website. Wondering if I need to call again.

Does the switch use QC 3.0 or does it use USB PD? With the included power supply using 15v, that looks more like USB pd to to me.
That is a good question. I tried looking for some info on it, and based on what I could find is that it supports PD 2.0 and its "believed" not to support QC.

So, I wanted to confirm, i have my Charging Grip currently preordered, but I was hearing that the joycon controllers have like a 20 hour batterie.....I'm thinking about cancelling, that's a lot of hours and that doesn't seem like something worth it.

What do you guys think?

So, I wanted to confirm, i have my Charging Grip currently preordered, but I was hearing that the joycon controllers have like a 20 hour batterie.....I'm thinking about cancelling, that's a lot of hours and that doesn't seem like something worth it.

What do you guys think?
I don't think it is worth it personally. The only reason I kept my preorder is because it had a $25 off w/ visa checkout with it.

I was looking at this:

iClever QC 3.0
That looks good. Likely the same theory I have as well. I went ahead and grabbed that one as well to try and see how it works. Amazon is great with returns so no worries there.

That is a good question. I tried looking for some info on it, and based on what I could find is that it supports PD 2.0 and its "believed" not to support QC.
Good looking out. I'm wondering based on that if either of these might be good fits then for a portable battery charger. What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8IRIN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488135639&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+PD+2.0

What do you guys think?
I thought I wanted a charging grip too. Then I realized you need an AC adapter to charge the Switch on the go anyways. And when the Switch is charging, the joycons attached to it are charging too.

I'd get the AC adapter.

I thought I wanted a charging grip too. Then I realized you need an AC adapter to charge the Switch on the go anyways. And when the Switch is charging, the joycons attached to it are charging too.

I'd get the AC adapter.
Charging grip and AC adapter cost the same amount, though, and charging grip comes with a USB-C charging cable. Seems like the charging grip is the smarter buy (although I wouldn't buy either).

I'd also get neither. I don't really see the battery life becoming an issue for the joycons unless you're planning 20+ hour marathons.
Most of these accessories just seem like convenience purchases for families/younger children who don't remember to charge things. Which in turn seems to have only confused people more. I've seen multiple unboxing videos with people showing the charging grip and saying "You can't change the joycons without this."

Charging grip and AC adapter cost the same amount, though, and charging grip comes with a USB-C charging cable. Seems like the charging grip is the smarter buy (although I wouldn't buy either).
So what the charging grip has everything you need to charge the portable Switch too?

That's what I was curious about, since I recall an article somewhere where the USB consortium mentioned that QC is not a compliant standard for USB C. Since USB c supports usb 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1 Qualcomm just did it anyways for mobile. USB PD (power delivery) allows for a large range of of power standards and if the device, cable and power source are to spec, the device will draw what it can from the power source with no issues at all. If they are not all to spec, you can end up with a burnt paperweight

So what the charging grip has everything you need to charge the portable Switch too?
Theoretically, yes. Pro controller comes with a USB-C cable, too. It's just the cable though, so you still need to plug it into a USB port of some sort (although everyone has 10 of those USB wall plugs at this point). Someone has even charged the Switch via their computer.

I'm sure the official AC Adapter will charge a bit faster, but not enough to warrant $30.

Did you get charged as well for the console yet? I got charged got my joycon earlier but Switch had some issues with my bank which I had to call and fix but it still says "failed authorization" on the BB website. Wondering if I need to call again.
Yeah I got charged. I figured out that they changed the status because I noticed my bank account had dipped overnight haha

Yeah I got charged. I figured out that they changed the status because I noticed my bank account had dipped overnight haha
Thanks lol. I called Best Buy and got the payment updated again and I see another authorization on my charge so hopefully it is fine now. I doubt the system will be too hard to get but I still don't want to end up with everything but the system on March 3rd.

I don't think it is worth it personally. The only reason I kept my preorder is because it had a $25 off w/ visa checkout with it.

I'd get the AC adapter.
Yup, that's what i've been thinking also, don't find it super necessary tbh.

Might just go and cancel it and put the preorder on something else, or maybe Splatoon.

Thanks for the input guys.

What do you guys think?
Unless you plan on gaming for 20 hours straight, the Charging Grip will be an unnecessary purchase. You only need it if you're buying an extra set of Joy Cons, since you can't charge two pairs on the Switch tablet.

Another question I have do the Joycons charge while playing in portable mode? Or if they die and you snap them on the console is it like playing with a wired controller? I see myself playing it on the go or in bed mostly. So I don't think I'll pick up the Pro controller. I barely touched my Wii Classic and WiiU Pro controllers.
Yep, the Joy Cons charge when connected to the tablet portion even when you're in portable mode.

so what have we concluded on the availability of the console for walk-ins?
A very few select individuals think NS will be as highly coveted as NES Classic.... but I'm pretty sure you find one if you really try during the 1st week.

According to Blackbeard, GS should have 2/3 available on launch day.

Pretty much, which is why I want the smallest case possible...so it doesn't take up too much room in my backpack.

EDIT: Might go with this one, unless someone else has a better recommendation https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Hard-Shell-Carrying-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N13YIQJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488089154&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+switch+case
They're currently not available for purchase, but these are the cases I would go for if I didn't have the one from the ME. They both look snazzy, have the Sheikah eye logo, and both of them are hard shell cases.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-game-traveler-zelda-blue-deluxe-travel-case/141857

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-game-traveler-zelda-black-deluxe-travel-case/141866

This is one is smaller, so probably more to your taste, but it isn't a hard shell case:

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-switch-premium-console-case-zelda-edition/140255

bread's done
Back