Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

So what are the current options to charge the switch console when not on the dock (aka at another person's house).

I don't own any USB C cables so I am trying to figure out my options. Even if it doesn't charge the system, just being able to plug it in and have it not drain power is fine. I would prefer to not buy a $30 adapter.
I'm gonna do some testing later. I've got a 9V/2A QC2.0 charger (USB-A) and a USB A to C cable. The Pixel chargers everyone seems to like are the same spec, but native USB-C; should be interesting to see how well it works out, if at all. Charger's off-brand but reliably meets the QC2.0 spec.

Not sure if this has been shown but the Case Art on the Zelda BotW Special Edition & Basic Edition is different.
i4EWX5x.jpg

Puyo Puyo Tetris: $47.25 (Seems more expensive over there. US pricing has it listed for $39.99, although the PS4 version is $30 so what the fuck is up with these prices? I get that carts are more expensive and they want to charge a premium for it being portable, but this is a digital title)
I'm pretty sure Puyo Puyo is going to be $30 on the eShop when it releases in the US. The physical Switch edition is $40 because it includes two keychains.

Has anyone been able to successfully charge the switch through a USB-C to USB-A cable?

I purchased an Anker Powerline cable last week to charge it as i played zelda undocked, but the system just refuses to pull a charge.

It shows the lighting symbol that its properly connected so its not the cable. Pretty sure its just the voltage isn't strong enough.

Any adapter piece/plug that i can use with the cable to give the proper voltage?

P.S. : (They need to add an option in system settings to keep the system powered off while charging, it will always turn on when connected to any usb-c connection, dock or no dock. That just makes it take longer to fully charge)
The Switch needs a USB-C to USB-C with USB-PD spec to charge, and the brick or powerbank also needs to be USB-PD. Otherwise it won't be able to draw enough power to keep the battery from draining while plugged in. The official charger max's out at 39W, but I'm not sure the Switch, at least undocked, needs that much. USB-C to USB-A won't work, since USB-A can't draw on power like C can. Most powerbanks and bricks also won't work, since even things like the iPad don't draw nearly as much power as the Switch. I think the Google Pixel's charger is good enough since it's USB-PD and can deliver enough power to charge the battery rather then drain it.

Has anyone been able to successfully charge the switch through a USB-C to USB-A cable?

I purchased an Anker Powerline cable last week to charge it as i played zelda undocked, but the system just refuses to pull a charge.
It shows the lighting symbol that its properly connected so its not the cable. Pretty sure its just the voltage isn't strong enough.

Any adapter piece/plug that i can use with the cable to give the proper voltage?

P.S. : (They need to add an option in system settings to keep the system powered off while charging, it will always turn on when connected to any usb-c connection, dock or no dock. That just makes it take longer to fully charge)
I was definitely able to pull a charge off my battery packs with a USB-C to USB-A Cable. The battery was definetly draining. Problem it couldn't charge faster than the Switch was using it so the gauge still went down but more slowly. I will have to try (1) when the switch is in standby mode and (2) try my MacBook USB-C charger.

Got my Hori standard screen protector on and it is perfect. Really makes the pdp look like shit. Glad I coughed up the $10 to amazon on it.

Played about 2 hours of bomberman, its...ok. Nothing in it is very well done.

Made an account to use for jp demo stuff. That is really awesome in regards to ease of use.

I bought a pro controller because I knew the joy cons were too small. Glad I did because I was getting hand cramps using them.

Got my Hori standard screen protector on and it is perfect. Really makes the pdp look like shit. Glad I coughed up the $10 to amazon on it.

Played about 2 hours of bomberman, its...ok. Nothing in it is very well done.

Made an account to use for jp demo stuff. That is really awesome in regards to ease of use.

I bought a pro controller because I knew the joy cons were too small. Glad I did because I was getting hand cramps using them.
I always get Hori when I can, as they make really good protectors. I have gotten some generic brands from Amazon when Hori wasn't an option, and some of those are pretty good as well. A lot of the time, it comes down to how well they are applied, and Hori makes the best system for that, so their's often time have the best results.

I'm glad to hear about the accounts being easy to set up and use. I'm still surprised by that, as I did not think it would happen, and if it did, it would be limited like the Vita's is, but for now, it's probably the best selling point for me in regards to the NS so far. Now I just need some games and a cheaper price, but neither are probably happening soon, so I can wait.

Are there any NS demo's out in the wild where they can actually be tried at a store? I have very, very small hands, and I think the jc will be OK for me, and since I plan to play mostly in portable mode, I really don't see needing the pro controller, but I would still like to try out the system at some point. Sadly, no one I know is getting one, so a retail store is my only option.

Is the Neon Joy-Con console limited?
I'm guessing it's got a 4-1 ratio compared to the grey. The only difference is the box, you can always buy the controller separately.

I cant seem to lower the darn bridge at a camp where I killed like 5 bokogoblins. It looks like a treehouse and there are like 20 items up there glowing for me to collect and I want them lol. There's a bridge that is raised and I threw a full onslaught at it and it still wouldn't lower lol. Anyone figure out how to lower these yet? I used the bomb, time freeze, and magnet slate skills and nothing!
Shoot the ropes that are holding it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure Puyo Puyo is going to be $30 on the eShop when it releases in the US. The physical Switch edition is $40 because it includes two keychains.

The Switch needs a USB-C to USB-C with USB-PD spec to charge, and the brick or powerbank also needs to be USB-PD. Otherwise it won't be able to draw enough power to keep the battery from draining while plugged in. The official charger max's out at 39W, but I'm not sure the Switch, at least undocked, needs that much. USB-C to USB-A won't work, since USB-A can't draw on power like C can. Most powerbanks and bricks also won't work, since even things like the iPad don't draw nearly as much power as the Switch. I think the Google Pixel's charger is good enough since it's USB-PD and can deliver enough power to charge the battery rather then drain it.
I hope so, I had a lot of fun with the demo and $30 digital is fair.

Not sure if this has been shown but the Case Art on the Zelda BotW Special Edition & Basic Edition is different.
i4EWX5x.jpg
The Special and master editions have the same sleeve :)

Correct, USB C PD capable charger and batteries would work best.USB-C to A and into something else would trickle charge the Switch, Quickcharge 2 or 3 wouldn't make too much of a difference over standard A.

I shot at the ropes again and it did work lol. I guess since I was trying to shoot the damn things from on top of that tall ass pillar with the chest on top hat something to do with me missing. Sucks cause now the loot from the mobs is all gone. There were 2 chests up there which had nothing of value. Oh well... I'm sure better lot will come.

Also just wanted to throw this out there...
Just got finished playing the witcher 3; I have been playing since November and have loved it for three entire 4 months. I never really cared for all the open world RPG games, but witcher changed my mind and I'm thinking about revisiting Skyrim. I am really pumped that one of my most beloved game series is so similar! I am sure the rest of the game is going to be great!

Been playing zelda since I got my first NES system in 1987 (I was 5) they have mostly been great, but this one is appearing to be something special! I can't wait until I get to fight the first boss! I'm a little bummed that since people haven't even been into a dungeon after 20 hours, though...

So is there a good alternative to the official Nintendo charger? I'd rather not buy it, but if nothing else (that costs less anyway) is working as well...

Hi alls!  I've not gotten far in Zelda but the area between the Tall Pillar structure & the 1st Trial Warp monument- there are 2 graphical lines that run horizontally across my screen.  

It seems exclusive to that cobblestone area.

Anyone else notice this? (I've marked one on the capture & it's more apparent during movement)

[attachment=25750:up.jpg]

So is there a good alternative to the official Nintendo charger? I'd rather not buy it, but if nothing else (that costs less anyway) is working as well...
At under $30? No idea. I haven't yet. While at work, I just let it trickle charge off my computer. Sure, it may have between an extra 5-10% when I get back, but that's an extra 5-10% that can be spent on Zelda (weekends are SOOOOO dead here :( )

I'm guessing it's got a 4-1 ratio compared to the grey. The only difference is the box, you can always buy the controller separately.

Shoot the ropes that are holding it up.
I was more wondering if they're going to stop making that model and only release the Grey bundle. Already have both but didn't hear anything on if it is limited though stores received less Neon bundles.

Loving Zelda, I actually woke up early to keep playing this morning (took many days off to sink my teeth in). My son is 4 and a half and I also bought Zelda for his Wii u which actually looks and plays really good. I needed to help him get past the beginning section and I was surprised when he actually was in the same spot I was on my Switch today (trying not to spoil!).

The game is actually pretty difficult and I wonder what hard mode will bring for us. Also wish Nintendo did some type of trophy system, I love their my Nintendo coins though. If they offered coins for completing games that would be even more awesome

My left joycon sometimes unsyncs but I noticed when I was playing undocked last night I could hear a spring or something in the left joystick. I only noticed because it was late last night and the volume was low

I've only used a straight usb c to usb c and it will charge my switch very slowly when playing zleda but it maintains battery level and doesn't dip. I take that as a win for now.

Any play shovel night yet? I want it but scared the little joycons will kill my hands.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I decided to pick it up since there is not much else to pick up that isn't overpriced + never beat it (Played like a hour of the vanilla Steam version a year or so back and liked it, but never had time to pick it back up). It actually controls pretty well in portable mode, I was afraid the directional buttons would be garbage for it but it actually does quite well (I was afraid to pick up Sonic Mania on it due to it, but I might due to the portability and platformers not feeling as bad as I thought they would).

Honestly, i'd recommend it.

I decided to pick it up since there is not much else to pick up that isn't overpriced + never beat it (Played like a hour of the vanilla Steam version a year or so back and liked it, but never had time to pick it back up). It actually controls pretty well in portable mode, I was afraid the directional buttons would be garbage for it but it actually does quite well (I was afraid to pick up Sonic Mania on it due to it, but I might due to the portability and platformers not feeling as bad as I thought they would).

Awesome. Thank you. I'll pick it up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For those wondering about chargers, I have to concede that a native USB Type-C charger would be the way to go. Tried a generic 9V/2A QC 2.0 charger with a generic and frankly sketchy USB-A to C cable. Results weren't terrible, but not a replacement for a charger. Close to an hour to recharge 20%, and that was in sleep mode. Still a bit better than a trickle charge, and didn't heat up the Switch or the wall brick too much. Might try with a more reliable cable at some point, but it's probably just a safe idea to invest in a good native Type C wall adapter.

I always get Hori when I can, as they make really good protectors. I have gotten some generic brands from Amazon when Hori wasn't an option, and some of those are pretty good as well. A lot of the time, it comes down to how well they are applied, and Hori makes the best system for that, so their's often time have the best results.

I'm glad to hear about the accounts being easy to set up and use. I'm still surprised by that, as I did not think it would happen, and if it did, it would be limited like the Vita's is, but for now, it's probably the best selling point for me in regards to the NS so far. Now I just need some games and a cheaper price, but neither are probably happening soon, so I can wait.

Are there any NS demo's out in the wild where they can actually be tried at a store? I have very, very small hands, and I think the jc will be OK for me, and since I plan to play mostly in portable mode, I really don't see needing the pro controller, but I would still like to try out the system at some point. Sadly, no one I know is getting one, so a retail store is my only option.
Haven't seen demos in stores yet, but I never seen any for the Wii or WiiU either.

They have Joycons grips that could possibly give you a pretty good idea. I've seen Walmart and ToysRus carrying them.

Today we went to a larger shopping area and I was able to pick up the Deluxe Case. Like I pointed out before it's nice and with the Cartridge/SD Card cases included, it's worth the $20 IMO. They are the same Cart cases that are red and sell alone for $8.

Was also in the car for awhile so I took the Switch with me. Was able to play for over 1.5 hrs and it didn't die. It was at Critical Battery Level as I got home. This is the first time I charged it.

Went to fabric store and bought a black piece of felt. It was only 53 cents and the one piece is large enough to cut in half for both Switch consoles. I am using double side tape to attach the felt to the dock and the felt. Too many pics of people's scratched consoles to not go with such an inexpensive fix. Dumb that we have to deal with it but better safe than sorry. I have the warranties but a couple of you have said game progress will be lost so I want to avoid having to use it.

I used the unit once it was over 50% charge, put it down and clicked on the power button, screen went off The last two days I thought it was off, but it wasn't. The battery is almost drained.
I'm not one to read manuals so I fused around with it and pressed the power button for a long time and a window popped up with sleep and other power options. Clicking on that expanded the option to include turn unit off.
That is crazy more difficult then it has to be.

Tried to charge in sleep with a USB-c to usb-a and a QC multi port charger with IQ, it didn't look like it was charging.
Turning it off it went from under 1/4 to about 1/2 in I want to say 1/2 hr.

Here is link to usb pd on Amazon, big range prices and power.
I'm sure, or rather hope, with switch comin out that there will be specials out there from companies wanted good press.

Last week before launch I post a two pack of USB c to USB c for $8, that was posted on SD.
So deals r coming.

So I put those Gel Guards on my Joycons. They fix great and add some depth to them.
[attachment=25752:image.jpg]
[attachment=25754:image.jpg]

Not bad for $7. They come in red, blue, and black I believe.

Since I last posted the battery charge is up to 3/4 with power off.
Not bad.

I'm not crazy about charging and playing anyway. I'm always afraid it'll over heat. Especially since a USB Pd unit is what it takes to charge and play.

Kinda wish they came up with a system to disconnect the battery while it's in the cradle at least.

Went to fabric store and bought a black piece of felt. It was only 53 cents and the one piece is large enough to cut in half for both Switch consoles. I am using double side tape to attach the felt to the dock and the felt. Too many pics of people's scratched consoles to not go with such an inexpensive fix. Dumb that we have to deal with it but better safe than sorry. I have the warranties but a couple of you have said game progress will be lost so I want to avoid having to use it.
Good call. I will likely do the same since its such an inexpensive fix and will save some wear and tear. Thanks for sharing

So I am unsure of the different standards of USB C are.

Would this be a suitable adapter for just keeping the Switched charged (or at least not draining the battery) when not using the dock's adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-TurboPower-Universal-USB-C-Charger/dp/B01M8MFCYQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1488772496&sr=8-16&keywords=usb+c+charger
I would say it's underpowered.
I posted in this thread A link, about about 3 hrs ago, that I did with "USB pd". There were a bunch with various power strength that I think is a better choice.

Using a QC 2.0 charger with a USB a to USB c and power off, it took about 3hrs to completely charge from less than 1/4 charge.

What's everyone using for glass screen protectors (if you're buying them). Not a cheaper plastic cover, I mean the tempered glass. Anyone buy one?  I'm afraid of the in and out of dock issues. 

Power rating on power supply is 5.0Volts-1.3Amps and 15.0 V -2.6A. I believe power is Power (W) = (Voltage (V)) * (Current (I)). So around 6.6 W and 39 W, respectively.

I'm assuming the higher number is about what it takes to play and possibly charge.

Just realize joy-cons don't have a charging port. So we gotta spend another $30 for a charging dock, and I believe it's not available.

Power rating on power supply is 5.0Volts-1.3Amps and 15.0 V -2.6A. I believe power is Power (W) = (Voltage (V)) * (Current (I)). So around 6.6 W and 39 W, respectively.

I'm assuming the higher number is about what it takes to play and possibly charge.

Just realize joy-cons don't have a charging port. So we gotta spend another $30 for a charging dock, and I believe it's not available.
Charge the joycons on the switch..... I was gonna buy that dock, but figured it was a waste. Spent money on other things.

Amazon JP is on point, at least. Ordered late Thursday/early Friday, and if DHL doesn't make a mess of things my games could be here as early as tomorrow.

Yeah, out of the box you can only charge by plugging them into the Switch. If you fully power off the Switch, even in the dock, the joycons don't charge. On one hand, the battery life for them is 15-20 hours, so it's not like you'll drain them in one session. On the other, you need to leave your Switch in sleep mode rather than fully powering it off to recharge them.

Honestly seems a bit greedy to include a non-charging grip in the box and then have a charging grip available for purchase on day one.

Sorry if this has been covered previously. Any issues with charging the Nintendo Switch via the Monoprice Palette Series USB-C to USB A cable?

What's everyone using for glass screen protectors (if you're buying them). Not a cheaper plastic cover, I mean the tempered glass. Anyone buy one? I'm afraid of the in and out of dock issues.
right now im using this skinomi wet install screen protector, which works just fine till i got these 2 glass screen protectors that i ordered from amazon. one of the glass ones i get this week.

skinomi

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUC8Q63/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

glass

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3YVS71/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9RG3XS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't played a game with the pro controller but I did feel all over it. Wow, it feels really great. I love the material and the handle grips. Feels REAL good.
If only your Pro controller could talk. The things it would say. :razz:

It actually controls pretty well in portable mode, I was afraid the directional buttons would be garbage for it but it actually does quite well (I was afraid to pick up Sonic Mania on it due to it, but I might due to the portability and platformers not feeling as bad as I thought they would).

Glad to hear this is the case. I thought for sure that playing a 2D platformer would suck with the Joy-Cons, due to the lack of a proper D-pad. Surprised it works well even with the directional buttons being separate.

bread's done
Back