Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

I ignored this forum for the past like 3 days once I got Zelda. Not gonna wade through all the pages. Is there a permanent alternative to the KS8000 constantly switching input other than an HDMI switch? I have just been unplugging the HDMI cable.

If not, is there a good HDMI Switch that supports PS4 Pro? Thanks.
There is a "match TV state" option in the system menu (not in front of my switch now, so the exact name may be wrong). That is what allows it to use HDMI CEC to control your TV, thus switching inputs. Adding an HDMI switch "should" cause the same "issue" to persist unless the switch is garbage and doesn't pass HDMI CEC to the TV (don't bother with the monoprice blackbird brand 5x1 switch, it freaking sucks/can't handle hdmi 1.4 bandwidth if all 5 ports are used, no clue how they advertise this as 4k ready)

as for ps4 compatible, as long as it's HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant, it "should" be fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I bought a red and blue pair from Target for 7.99 minus Red card discount. I also picked up the carrying case that holds the whole system. Same company made a case for the Classic and it is a sturdy case. I'm returning the blue Zelda case that came with earbuds. It is too busy. The case I purchased from Target includes game cases.

quote name="Bleedingwickedly" post="13653493" timestamp="1488783926"]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7RYBLX/ref=twister_B01N2BA3MB?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Might be better off finding in store. I know ToysRus and Walmart carry them.[/quote]

There is a "match TV state" option in the system menu (not in front of my switch now, so the exact name may be wrong). That is what allows it to use HDMI CEC to control your TV, thus switching inputs. Adding an HDMI switch "should" cause the same "issue" to persist unless the switch is garbage and doesn't pass HDMI CEC to the TV (don't bother with the monoprice blackbird brand 5x1 switch, it freaking sucks/can't handle hdmi 1.4 bandwidth if all 5 ports are used, no clue how they advertise this as 4k ready)

as for ps4 compatible, as long as it's HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant, it "should" be fine
I'll try it but read that people were still having problems after doing that.

Hate the fact that it has ports on the side..... I am currently looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LKPY9CI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3K8MZO0O5H7U5&coliid=I35KJ3ISUXRMSO while hideous looking, on paper, it has everything I need/want
Check out Monoprice. I've have their 5x1 HDMI switcher and have purchased all of my cables from them for years. Quality products at a reasonable prices. I can't recommend them enough.

Here's a link to the HDMI switcher I have: https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/13703?maincategoryid=101&categoryid=10110&subcategoryid=1011002&cpncd=

[quote name="Bivensra" post="13654157" timestamp="1488843876"]Today I bought a red and blue pair from Target for 7.99 minus Red card discount. I also picked up the carrying case that holds the whole system. Same company made a case for the Classic and it is a sturdy case. I'm returning the blue Zelda case that came with earbuds. It is too busy. The case I purchased from Target includes game cases.
quote name="Bleedingwickedly" post="13653493" timestamp="1488783926"]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7RYBLX/ref=twister_B01N2BA3MB?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Might be better off finding in store. I know ToysRus and Walmart carry them.[/quote][/quote]

Thought about picking up the blue pair as well. I want to use one blue and one red, and have the thumbsticks the opposite color. Could look really sweet that way.

Check out Monoprice. I've have their 5x1 HDMI switcher and have purchased all of my cables from them for years. Quality products at a reasonable prices. I can't recommend them enough.

Here's a link to the HDMI switcher I have: https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/13703?maincategoryid=101&categoryid=10110&subcategoryid=1011002&cpncd=
I have that one... And it's garbage.... The previous model worked great but that is no longer available. It gets screwy when I have all 5 ports in use, with or without a power adapter, and every device minus the fire tv stick will randomly loose sync.... And it's my 2nd unit, all using high speed cables. Plus its not HDMI 2.0/hdcp2.2 compliant... Plus if you go up a few posts, I mention avoiding monoprice's switchs. Cables are good though

I have that one... And it's garbage.... The previous model worked great but that is no longer available. It gets screwy when I have all 5 ports in use, with or without a power adapter, and every device minus the fire tv stick will randomly loose sync.... And it's my 2nd unit, all using high speed cables. Plus its not HDMI 2.0/hdcp2.2 compliant... Plus if you go up a few posts, I mention avoiding monoprice's switchs. Cables are good though
I've had my Monoprice switcher for a few years and it's been flawless, so it must be the older model. Bummer that the quality has gone down on these since then.

I've had my Monoprice switcher for a few years and it's been flawless, so it must be the older model. Bummer that the quality has gone down on these since then.
Well, it's just an oem switcher, as I've seen the same one under different names, but yeah, the one I had previously lasted almost 8 years.

[quote name="Bleedingwickedly" post="13654314" timestamp="1488850931"]

[/quote]

Thought about picking up the blue pair as well. I want to use one blue and one red, and have the thumbsticks the opposite color. Could look really sweet that way.[/quote]

Thank you for the idea. Now I need screen protectors that I ordered from Amazon.[attachment=25777:IMG_4388.JPG]

So I finally got my Switch in today ( fuck Best Buy for shipping mine UPS Ground).  

The first thing I did was check for dead pixels/screen anomalies then proceeded to the tempered glass screen protector by amFilm.  I had purchased the same brand for my kid's iPads and they worked great so thought I would have the same experience.  Installation was easy.  Just needed to line up bottom cutouts to the system, remove the first film, then use the two tabs on the sides to lay down the glass on the screen.  Everything went well except for a speck of lint that snuck in under the glass.  I, unfortunately, had to lift the glass back up and use the dust sticker to take off the lint.  It came off and I was able to lay the glass back down.  

Everything looked good until I played Zelda for about an hour docked.  For some reason it looks like the glue from the glass heated up and started to ripple at the very bottom.  I guess it could have also been the pressure of the glass pressing up against the inside of the dock.  While unsightly, it's really only on the bezel so it doesn't bother me too much.  

Impressions of the system itself is better than what I expected.  I thought the joy cons would be lighter than they actually are.  The system with joy cons attached have a good weight.  I had no issues with using the joy cons in the included grip.  I think I can hold off on the pro controller until Street Fighter gets released.  I'm just glad I don't have any dead pixels, off colored LED screen, or too bad of a Wi-Fi connection (system is 12 ft from my TP-Link AC1750 5GHz and getting 2 of 3 "bars" at 37.2Mbps down/4.7Mbps up. In my bedroom that is 30 ft away, I still am connected to 5GHz and at 24.8Mbps down/4.7Mbps up and my line is typically 100Mbps down/7Mbps up).

Overall, very happy with the system.  Looking to get Fast RMX soon.

Switch Came in.

First off, I am surprised that I like the joycons as much as I do. Granted I do hate that ungodly d-pad buttons on the left joycon but I get why they need to be buttons. I couldn't be bothered to spend $70 on a pro controller just for a proper d-pad (in which I hate the location of anyway. I prefer the PS controller d-pad location).

Second I only put about 2 maybe 2 and a half hours into Zelda tonight and wow. It's an open world game that doesn't throw the fact that it's an open world game in your face every 3 seconds. It's incredible, and easily the system's killer app right there. Zelda alone is going to be worth the purchase. Zelda is also brilliant because there is literally no fuck ing tutorial (and the sort of tutorial they have doesn't tell you how to do things, it just gets your feet wet) and I love it so much for that. Too many games nowadays are so slow to get going because your sitting there listening to how to do simple things.

I couldn't find the original post and assume it's from another thread.

Was this an article or did the poster happen upon this?

I'm assuming the upper one is the better screen?

Now I'm sitting on 4 switches, do I check them bf giving 3 out or just let it lie.
I preordered the Pikachu 3ds xl at 3 different places, just in case.
All three came in and I assume they were all TN since they all appeared the.
The screen for startup and home on them are yellowish like the bottom one. Is this a indication that it's the cheap one.

My switch has a very clearly white start up and menu screens.
Ferrari Racer was the original poster. Said he got that from Neogaf.

Glad that it seems you got a good screen on your Switch. Hoping mine is as well.

So I finally got my Switch in today ( fuck Best Buy for shipping mine UPS Ground).

The first thing I did was check for dead pixels/screen anomalies then proceeded to the tempered glass screen protector by amFilm. I had purchased the same brand for my kid's iPads and they worked great so thought I would have the same experience. Installation was easy. Just needed to line up bottom cutouts to the system, remove the first film, then use the two tabs on the sides to lay down the glass on the screen. Everything went well except for a speck of lint that snuck in under the glass. I, unfortunately, had to lift the glass back up and use the dust sticker to take off the lint. It came off and I was able to lay the glass back down.

Everything looked good until I played Zelda for about an hour docked. For some reason it looks like the glue from the glass heated up and started to ripple at the very bottom. I guess it could have also been the pressure of the glass pressing up against the inside of the dock. While unsightly, it's really only on the bezel so it doesn't bother me too much.
You just scared me off of using a glass screen protector. I guess the small enclosure of the dock and the heat from the Switch tablet isn't a good combination for the glass protector. Might go with a plastic one after all.

Thought about picking up the blue pair as well. I want to use one blue and one red, and have the thumbsticks the opposite color. Could look really sweet that way.

Thank you for the idea. Now I need screen protectors that I ordered from Amazon.
attachicon.gif
IMG_4388.JPG
[/QUOTE]
chloe-meme-original.jpg

2 Switches? My 9 year old loves playing games and I did not want to share. Plus buying extra joy cons, charger, etc was close enough to the price of a Switch so just bought a 2nd.
Gotcha. Nice. I bought 2 but haven't opened the 2nd yet because I am still debating on it. I wanted another dock, ac charger, and set of joycons... All that is $200, so I bought the 2nd system. It's just sitting in the box because I can't decide what to do.

You just scared me off of using a glass screen protector. I guess the small enclosure of the dock and the heat from the Switch tablet isn't a good combination for the glass protector. Might go with a plastic one after all.
Yeah...I'm not too pleased. I mean it came in a pack of 2 glass protectors. I'm waiting for this one to get scratched up before I try the other. Anyway, pic below. I peeled up the glass and it is just the glue of the tempered glass...no issue with the plastic screen. And everything was perfectly clear before docking the system.

u0pQ39i.jpg

Yeah...I'm not too pleased. I mean it came in a pack of 2 glass protectors. I'm waiting for this one to get scratched up before I try the other. Anyway, pic below. I peeled up the glass and it is just the glue of the tempered glass...no issue with the plastic screen. And everything was perfectly clear before docking the system.

u0pQ39i.jpg
Damn. Thanks for the pic and the heads up. I'm definitely going for the plastic one now.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a plastic screen protector? The Hori one should be the best, right?

Can anyone confirm if the Switch has a longer battery life if you play in table-top mode? I have only used docked and on-the-go, but today I realized that my joy-cons are always at full charge since I never remove them. Seems obvious that by removing the joy-cons the system wouldn't be charging them constantly and thus last longer, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the Joy-Con's aren't being charged when the Switch isn't plugged in. If anything, using the Switch in tabletop mode will use more battery since the bluetooth is being used at that point.

Let's not delve into a 10 page argument about the "joycon sync" issue please. Take that shit to gamefaqs if you want to tinfoil hat pretending it's not fixable. Nintendo is aware of it and a day 1 patch is coming. It won't affect us just early reviewers who are playing with unpatched consoles and games. Also for point of reference both the 360 and XBOX ONE had similar issues and a patch sorted it out rather quickly.

Also Blunty of all people put up a video on youtube explaining the actual cause of it not speculation.

QOh7XFz.jpg

Before any "Who?" replies. He's worked with the Treehouse guys before. They are his source.

Go ahead and get into an argument about it, a week from now noone will remember this.

Sorry for trying to be the only voice of reason. :whistle2:
This guy is probably really quiet right now. Lol!

Damn. Thanks for the pic and the heads up. I'm definitely going for the plastic one now.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a plastic screen protector? The Hori one should be the best, right?
Looks like the regular Hori is the best rated non glass. The Hori premium and PDP which are all official barely have over 1.5 stars.

https://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licensed-Screen-Protective-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B01MR725H2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1488893870&sr=8-11&keywords=nintendo+switch+screen+protector+and+case

How long after applying the screen protector did you wait to place it in the dock? Curious because most have a curing process that takes the better part of a day to bond. Could just also have been the bond that company personally used as well.

Anyone pick up Snipperclips? After seeing some videos I think it might be pretty fun. About how many levels/puzzles are there?
Picked it up and played for 3 or 4 hours with my girlfriend over the weekend. Def a fun and sometimes challenging game. I thought I read somewhere that there was 50+ puzzles. We certainly ran through 30-40 of them.

Ferrari Racer was the original poster. Said he got that from Neogaf.

Glad that it seems you got a good screen on your Switch. Hoping mine is as well.
I opened one of the neon sets and the start screen look a more yellowish, but I can still see the image almost looking at it parallel.
I guess the real test would be playing Zelda side by side. I do have the Zelda from th crushed SE version.
I could open and load that up or wait until this weekend and compare it with my nephew.

I'm not really sure that I got the better screen.

I know compared to the Pikachu 3ds, the screen is far superior.

I really need more time than 15 minutes here and there to play Zelda.
I got really jealous of all you guys posting your experiences.

I read two posts one on using felt in docking station as a protector and the result of an amfilm tempered glass warping.
I'm not really surprised at the heat generated by the unit but am surprised they didn't do something about this bf production.
I really sometimes wonder if these engineers ever use there own products or r restricted by management want to launch at any expense.

This is what I worry about using a full piece of felt or even a border, might restrict air flow and heat up the unit.
That one screen manufacturer already isn't processing product for the switch, supposedly bc of heat treat of the coating on the switch. I can only imagine what excess heat would do over time.
Maybe the warping of the screen protector was also noted by the screen manufacturer, but was being careful about being more credical of the switch.

How long after applying the screen protector did you wait to place it in the dock? Curious because most have a curing process that takes the better part of a day to bond. Could just also have been the bond that company personally used as well.
Haha. That's probably it. I waited all of 5 minutes (if that). I needed to head out the door so I figured I should charge the system so that it will be fully charged by the time I get back. Though, when I did get back, it was still clear. About 4 hours had passed until I docked again and actually played Zelda. I guess I'll wait longer next time.

Any way to buy these in store like BB? I couldn't find it in BB.
I checked myself but only find the crappy PDP ones in-store. I have the good rated glass ones coming which I will try. Some people even asked about the heat and usage inside the dock, they reported no issues.

For any New York City folks, Nintendo NY still has a lot of stuff in stock excluding the actual console. They have tons of the Hori screen protectors, all colors for joy cons, pro controllers, straps, etc... 

Correct!

Anyone that places the screen in the dock too SOON will have those affects AFTE applying a Glass or Plastic protector.

The unfortunate issue here is, when docked it's quite hot for the screen Itself & it's prone to scratches.

Haha. That's probably it. I waited all of 5 minutes (if that). I needed to head out the door so I figured I should charge the system so that it will be fully charged by the time I get back. Though, when I did get back, it was still clear. About 4 hours had passed until I docked again and actually played Zelda. I guess I'll wait longer next time.
You could be entirely correct with what you did. I was just curious if it was immediate or not. Since I docked mine I haven't taken it back out due to my case and screen protectors not arriving yet. I'm wondering now if the felt is the way to go for possible scratching or if it really does impact the heat distribution.

Nintendo is boasting that the Switch's initial launch had better sales than any other Nintendo system, including the Wii.

This is probably true, but it's also probably more a matter of logistics than of demand. While Nintendo managed to hype the Switch to a decent degree, I don't think the same rabid hunger exists for the Switch compared to the Wii. Also, Nintendo clearly stocked the Switch more effectively than the Wii during the same time period. They commited all of their production resources to constructing adequate stock for the Switch. And if the supply of their other products is anything to go by, they have been doing this for several months before launch. The supply of the Wii U and the 3DS over the holidays was pitiful. They left money on the table during the busiest shopping season of the year, and immediately after one of the biggest 3DS title launches in years. (a Pokémon game pair, always an assured system seller)

With so much effort put into supplying the Switch for launch, it's little wonder that the sales numbers reflect this. People who wanted the system were able to go out to stores and buy it.

Nintendo is boasting that the Switch's initial launch had better sales than any other Nintendo system, including the Wii.

This is probably true, but it's also probably more a matter of logistics than of demand. While Nintendo managed to hype the Switch to a decent degree, I don't think the same rabid hunger exists for the Switch compared to the Wii. Also, Nintendo clearly stocked the Switch more effectively than the Wii during the same time period. They commited all of their production resources to constructing adequate stock for the Switch. And if the supply of their other products is anything to go by, they have been doing this for several months before launch. The supply of the Wii U and the 3DS over the holidays was pitiful. They left money on the table during the busiest shopping season of the year, and immediately after one of the biggest 3DS title launches in years. (a Pokémon game pair, always an assured system seller)

With so much effort put into supplying the Switch for launch, it's little wonder that the sales numbers reflect this. People who wanted the system were able to go out to stores and buy it.
It's called PR. But also remember the Wii launched during the holidays. The Switch launched in March. Nintendo traditionally receives over half of their sales in the xmas quarter.

So far there is no mainstream craze on the Switch like the Wii had with WiiSports. It's not going to sell into that audience at this point. But don't think it's a stretch to say the Switch could still sell as much as the Wii if it is indeed Nintendo's 1 platform.

It also launched along side one of the best games ever made, so I'm sure that didn't hurt. I'll be curious to see how well it does from April-October, when there isn't a Zelda pushing sales.

For any New York City folks, Nintendo NY still has a lot of stuff in stock excluding the actual console. They have tons of the Hori screen protectors, all colors for joy cons, pro controllers, straps, etc...
do they have any cases? Damn I was just by Bryant park...

bread's done
Back