Rock Band 4 (PS4, X1) Out Now - Triple Cymbal Expansion Kit Available for Preorder

Deserter Goose

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Some links to the bundles, as well as the standalone game, are below. Note that the Band-in-a-Box bundle has an MSRP of $249.99, whereas the Guitar Bundle has one of $129.99. The X1 standalone comes with a legacy adapter for your 360 guitars and drumsets, but costs $79.99; the PS4 can use PS3 instruments out of the gate and is only $59.99. You can also buy a legacy adapter separately, with the MSRP for that being $24.99.

Amazon

Best Buy - Don't forget GCU for 20% off!*
Gamestop

Target

Mad Catz Store

Xbox.com (Digital)

* If you buy GCU online, you'll have to take it to a local store to activate it. However, you'll still get 20% off of the bundle during checkout.  If you're buying at least the guitar bundle, you're basically getting GCU for free ($30).

The Triple Cymbal Expansion Kit is also available for preorder on Mad Catz's website for $49.99, with a release date of "Holiday 2015" (big thanks to BonedChaos for the information).

Most of the past DLC from the previous games will be compatible with this one (and is the main reason I bought an X1), but at least 150 songs will not be compatible. Furthermore, a list of exactly which legacy instruments are compatible with Rock Band 4 can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
BiaB for Xbone is available at bestbuy.com again.
Funny though that I wanted to order it so badly but am now hesitant. If it had been live again yesterday, I would have gotten a ton of free songs with it. Now that it comes out today, I don't get anything but would be paying th same price as people who were able to preorder before they said they ran out. I think I might just wait for Black Friday or the impending first-price-drop-to-clear-space.
Man, I was so hyped too...

Is there much of a difference between the Rock Band 2 Drums, and Rock Band 4 Drums? I got some RB2 drums for $20 at a yard sale recently, so perhaps I would be better off keeping it...
I've only done 5 songs on my drums but I'd say they are a bit sturdier and a little quieter on the drum heads. Overall though I'd say stick with the RB2 if you aren't a big time drum player.

I am upset with Amazon. My bundle hasn't moved since Saturday and UPS is informing me it'll be here Thursday. Considering I've been looking forward to this game and had a half day at work for it, I broke down and bought a bundle at GS. Once I get my Amazon order I'll return that one back to GS. Just really let down by Amazon with this one.

BiaB for Xbone is available at BB.com again.
Funny though that I wanted to order it so badly but am now hesitant. If it had been live again yesterday, I would have gotten a ton of free songs with it. Now that it comes out today, I don't get anything but would be paying th same price as people who were able to preorder before they said they ran out. I think I might just wait for Black Friday or the impending first-price-drop-to-clear-space.
Man, I was so hyped too...
sometimes BB still offers those pre order bonuses after the game comes out. I remember pre ordering state of decay for the knife and my cousin got it as well getting it a week or two later. It printed up on his receipt and pretty sure it mentioned it on the touchpad when checking out. idk might be worth asking about

I preordered digitally so I didn't get the harmonix songs that retailers gave out, are they selling those yet?

I've only done 5 songs on my drums but I'd say they are a bit sturdier and a little quieter on the drum heads. Overall though I'd say stick with the RB2 if you aren't a big time drum player.

I am upset with Amazon. My bundle hasn't moved since Saturday and UPS is informing me it'll be here Thursday. Considering I've been looking forward to this game and had a half day at work for it, I broke down and bought a bundle at GS. Once I get my Amazon order I'll return that one back to GS. Just really let down by Amazon with this one.
I know there's not much you can do about it since you want the bundle now (and I don't blame you), but it's just a little funny to me that you're saying that you're angry at Amazon but still giving your money to them while taking advantage of Gamestop instead.

Not saying Gamestop's perfect, of course. And they're technically getting their bundle back from you, anyway.

Is there much of a difference between the Rock Band 2 Drums, and Rock Band 4 Drums? I got some RB2 drums for $20 at a yard sale recently, so perhaps I would be better off keeping it...
The feet have rubber grips on them to keep them from sliding on a hardwood floor. That in itself is worth the price of purchase. I can't remember if the RB2 drums had that or not.

Initial impressions:

- The "Play A Show" mode is freaking cool. I don't know how often I'll use it, but it's a great addition to the series, especially if you have lots of DLC.

- The character creation mode is the most limited I've seen from the start. I'm sure you unlock more as you progress through the Tour mode, but still, you're forced to look like a freak until you decide to conquer Tour mode.

- The included guitar is pretty much identical to the RB2 guitar. I was hoping for a clicky strum bar like GH, but nope.

- MAJOR annoyance: You can't turn the instruments off without unplugging the batteries. Terrible, terrible flaw. If you hold the guide button, it only gives you an option to turn off the console. IDK if that's a flaw on Harmonix or Microsoft, but it needs to be fixed for people like me that like to switch instruments often so I don't waste batteries while waiting it for to shut off due to inactivity. And if you turn on your instrument that you want to switch to while your previous one is still on, you'll be logged in as a guest.

- Tour mode is... well, it's Tour mode. Pretty much the same as RB3. You'll likely play through it for a few days just to unlock some character creation options and then forget it exists.

- Some of my pre-order songs aren't showing up, even though they're installed. Come ON now, this is RB4 DLC, not previous DLC, can't you at least get that much right?

- There's a menu in the Store where you can view songs that friends have purchased. Why bother adding this, but no online play?

- Song selection screen in Quickplay isn't as nice as RB3. Very simplistic and boring. Kinda ugly. The text isn't as big as the RB3 song selection either.

- Guitar freestyle mode is... surprisingly fun, at least on the RB guitar. No, really. It's stupid and unrealistic, but having to switch between the upper and lower parts of the neck while altering strumming patterns and tilting the guitar on queue adds a new challenge to the game, and it's nice to finally put the smaller fret buttons to use.

I still haven't decided if this is an upgrade or not. It's more of the same, but less because of us not having access to all of our DLC and the absence of some major game modes, but you already knew that. Harmonix are at least good about following through with fixes for previous games, so I'm hoping in a month or so, I can actually call this an upgrade from RB3 and possibly even ditch RB3.

I've heard others say that there's trouble with the preorder DLC, but I'm hoping there'll be a fix for it out soon. I'm a little afraid to redeem mine right now because of it, even though I'm sure it won't matter if I do it now or after the fix.

I've only played the game a little bit in quickplay so far, but it didn't really hit me with how weak the setlist was until then. They couldn't even use the original version of Someone Like You and used the crappier re-record from 2011, when the singer was older and couldn't sing in the proper, higher key any more. Maybe all of the songs will grow on me as time goes on, but they'll probably be forgotten and never played again as soon as I take the plunge and download all of my old DLC.

I know it sounds bad, but I'm a little disappointed with RB4 so far. Hoping that'll change as I play it more.

I've heard others say that there's trouble with the preorder DLC, but I'm hoping there'll be a fix for it out soon. I'm a little afraid to redeem mine right now because of it, even though I'm sure it won't matter if I do it now or after the fix.

I've only played the game a little bit in quickplay so far, but it didn't really hit me with how weak the setlist was until then. They couldn't even use the original version of Someone Like You and used the crappier re-record from 2011, when the singer was older and couldn't sing in the proper, higher key any more. Maybe all of the songs will grow on me as time goes on, but they'll probably be forgotten and never played again as soon as I take the plunge and download all of my old DLC.

I know it sounds bad, but I'm a little disappointed with RB4 so far. Hoping that'll change as I play it more.
I agree, definitely some strange choices for the setlist. The Spin Doctors had another song besides "Two Princes" that was somehow important enough to include on-disc? Really? (and the funny thing is, until have access to our Lego export, we don't even have "Two Princes") And of all the classic U2 songs, they chose "I Will Follow"? I understand the need to leave songs for the inevitable U2 song pack DLC, but come on now. None of the casual music fans at my Rock Band parties will know that song.

There's plenty of classic songs they haven't mined yet through previous DLC, and by artists they've already obtained licenses from, so I'm confused by the setlist overall.

Quick question for anyone that got the PS4 Guitar bundle... is the game disc a sealed retail version?  The reason I ask is I got the standalone version since I still have my ION Rocker and old guitar.  I discovered that my kids gummed up the fret buttons to the point I don't want to deal with it.   I would love to know if the disc in the game is sealed and if it has the retail UPC (2865804751), so I can buy the bundle and return sealed copy since I have already opened the standalone.

Thanks in advance

Band bundle has Not for Resale, I'd guess the guitar bundle is the same. You could buy it and trade it in?

Anyone know if Madcatz charge upfront for preorders? Or will it charge when they will ship?

Quick question for anyone that got the PS4 Guitar bundle... is the game disc a sealed retail version? The reason I ask is I got the standalone version since I still have my ION Rocker and old guitar. I discovered that my kids gummed up the fret buttons to the point I don't want to deal with it. I would love to know if the disc in the game is sealed and if it has the retail UPC (2865804751), so I can buy the bundle and return sealed copy since I have already opened the standalone.

Thanks in advance
For at least the X1's guitar bundle, the game inside was marked as not for resale. I assume the PS4 version wouldn't be any different.

Band bundle has Not for Resale, I'd guess the guitar bundle is the same. You could buy it and trade it in?

Anyone know if Madcatz charge upfront for preorders? Or will it charge when they will ship?
A quick look at their site led me to this (spoilers: they don't charge until they ship).

Does anyone know if Bestbuy did or did not have the 30 bonus songs with preorder on the BIAB bundle?

I picked mine up today and didnt get he usual email or anything on my receipt. I tried searching but everything is complaining they didnt have it about 3 months ago but thought I had saw they added it.
I got my 30 bonus songs from my pre-order at Best Buy. My original order did not have it listed as an item. I cancelled that order and re-ordered it and the 30 song pre-order bonus DLC appeared as a second item in my order.

WARNING

Do NOT sign up for the dashboard beta. I received mine tonight. Installed it. Instruments no longer work. The guide button is the only button that works, and you have to use an actual controller to even get out of said guide menu.

I can't even. No, really, I can't. Tell me what an even is, so I can can't it.

I had a "what if" feeling when signing up for the beta. I should have went with that feeling. I now have an unplayable $250+ game until it gets fixed. My legacy adapter arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping my GH3 guitar synced up with it will work at least but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Man I feel bad for you guys. I've had a lot of dlc bugs though. My doors songs aren't showing up that I bought them and I also have licenses for songs I never bought...weird stuff.

yea my cousin is saying hes having problems with his drums not working on fills and the pedal not registering at times. Said that there was a firmware update but hasn't done it yet. 

WARNING

Do NOT sign up for the dashboard beta. I received mine tonight. Installed it. Instruments no longer work. The guide button is the only button that works, and you have to use an actual controller to even get out of said guide menu.

I can't even. No, really, I can't. Tell me what an even is, so I can can't it.

I had a "what if" feeling when signing up for the beta. I should have went with that feeling. I now have an unplayable $250+ game until it gets fixed. My legacy adapter arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping my GH3 guitar synced up with it will work at least but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.
I heard elsewhere that while the instruments don't work to navigate the dash, you can use a normal controller to boot RB4 and still use the instruments to play the game itself. Maybe try that?

Rocksmith had the "songs in my set list I never bought, but I don't have a license to things I own" big. Took months to sort out. If it hadn't Ben for their community guy, I'm not sure how much longer it would have taken. Once they sorted it out, thigh, the "wrong" songs disappeared and the "right" songs were there. Enjoy the free music while you can.

I can't help but wait on this. I'll pick it up the same way I bought the Beatles RB - on clearance at Target. Of course, I probably won't be able to sell this version for $400 like I did my unplayed Beatles special edition...

Wow i worked yesterday and tried to get the xbox one version. Its sold out at every store in st louis everywhere. They had the guitar bundle but i have so many guitars i will need the adapter anyway. Best Buy says it doesnt release until tomorrow but all the other sites said yesterday. Strange

Wow i worked yesterday and tried to get the xbox one version. Its sold out at every store in st louis everywhere. They had the guitar bundle but i have so many guitars i will need the adapter anyway. Best Buy says it doesnt release until tomorrow but all the other sites said yesterday. Strange
Did you try across the river in Fairview Heights?

I heard elsewhere that while the instruments don't work to navigate the dash, you can use a normal controller to boot RB4 and still use the instruments to play the game itself. Maybe try that?
That's been working for me. It's definitely inconvenient.

I searched all the targets and best buys in il and mo. Cant even get it to show up on the wal mart website to search for it?

I searched all the targets and best buys in il and mo. Cant even get it to show up on the wal mart website to search for it?
I searched Wal-Mart's website yesterday as well, and it didn't even show up as a product. I know for a fact it was on there pre-launch because I considered using some trade-in credit on it.

I'm in southern IL, and the options are pretty thin here. I was thinking about grabbing a band bundle since my legacy adapter isn't shipping until next week.

I found the product number finally for wal mart. When you put it into brickseek it doesnt even show stores or an item. Just this isn't available in your area.

I searched Wal-Mart's website yesterday as well, and it didn't even show up as a product. I know for a fact it was on there pre-launch because I considered using some trade-in credit on it.

I'm in southern IL, and the options are pretty thin here. I was thinking about grabbing a band bundle since my legacy adapter isn't shipping until next week.
I went to school at SIUC; Best Buy in Carbondale was my second home. Whereabouts are you?

Harmonix did say from the beginning that all of the bundles were going to be limited at launch and difficult to find if you didn't preorder. From what I can tell, they weren't exaggerating - I know there are times when a company acts like something is going to be limited and it isn't, but this doesn't look to be one of those times.

I assume there's going to be more on the shelves in the near future, at least.

And of all the classic U2 songs, they chose "I Will Follow"? I understand the need to leave songs for the inevitable U2 song pack DLC, but come on now. None of the casual music fans at my Rock Band parties will know that song.
Unless your friends are 12, they'll know freaking "I Will Follow" Or you DESPERATELY need new friends.

Still deciding between the guitar bundle and band in a box. Since none of my RB1 instruments will work. The GCU discount is making me lean towards band in a box but I rarely played the drums in the past and they take up so much space.

I'm sure this has been answered a million times. But I redeemed my code for Green Day RB awhile back. But never paid the extra $9.99 to import them in RB3. I still see that I have the option on the RB3 in the previous redeemed code section. If I pay the $9.99 in the RB3 menu will they work in RB4 or I missed my chance?

Doesn't work. That was the first thing I tried. I can open the guide in-game but I can't make it past the title screen with any of the controllers besides the Xbox One controller. It's unfortunate that I'm not a vocalist.

Hopefully it's fixed soon; I hear the beta updates have been pushed out pretty frequently so far. Then again, the disclaimer stated there would be issues with certain features when we opted in for the beta, so Microsoft don't need to feel obligated to rush on it.

My adapter showed up yesterday, I pre ordered from Amazon on 9/22 and forgot about it. I put it on eBay for MSRP and it sold instantly, had no idea these things were even rare. That sucks it's not shipping for everyone :/

Is the preorder DLC with 30+ songs available to purchase on Xbox live? I just received my legacy adapter and decided to buy the game from a 3rd party seller.

Just got an email from Best Buy that had a code for the preorder bonus songs.

In the RB4 store inside the game, there's a few songs that show purchased. But they aren't in the library and it won't let me download it. One I know for sure is Three Days Grace - The Good Life. Anyone else having issues like this?

As for the game, I'm enjoying it. Never played RB3, since my daughter was born right before that.

The freestyle guitar solo feature is fun, playing the tutorial made it much better.

The adapter bundle does exist. We got one in today at my store for the only preorder there was. Not being able to get any others to sell is probably why they changed the date again.

How are people liking this game so far?

Kind of hoping the game alone will be $30 on black Friday <_<
I'm loving it. I'm super excited about the prospect of a constant stream of new DLC, I missed that when they stopped publishing for the PS3. There will be improvements to the UI and features added and I can wait for all of that. I'm just happy to be playing new songs and play with new features like dynamic fills and freestyle solos. I can't wait to see what our singer does with the vocal freestyles stuff, should be fun or funny.

I got my band in a box bundle the same day it shipped from amazon (yesterday).  They emailed me my pre order pack code yesterday as well.  

Waiting for all the DLC and also the exports to start working on xbox live though.  So not in a big hurry to play it a lot.

In the RB4 store inside the game, there's a few songs that show purchased. But they aren't in the library and it won't let me download it. One I know for sure is Three Days Grace - The Good Life. Anyone else having issues like this?
As for the game, I'm enjoying it. Never played RB3, since my daughter was born right before that.
The freestyle guitar solo feature is fun, playing the tutorial made it much better.
99% of the songs I own show up with a price in the store in the game. When I click on a song it says "you already own this, would you like to download it?" It's really tedious because I don't remember a lot of the songs I already own. It would be nice if all the songs I already bought before showed up as purchased.

How are people liking this game so far?

Kind of hoping the game alone will be $30 on black Friday <_<
Pros: The calibration tool on the guitar works really well. Over 60 new songs. Freestyle solo sections.

Cons: No online play. The game feels stripped down. A fraction of the legacy DLC is available currently. The set list leaves a lot to be desired .

I'm a huge rock band fan and I freaked out when RB4 was announced but honestly I'm disappointed with the current state the game is in. I probably would wait unless you need it now.

Did you guys preorder the band in a box? I'm curious if those codes have been sent out because I haven't seen mine come yet.
Preordered the Xbox one BiaB version from Best Buy with in store pickup. Picked it up yesterday and got the email with the code today.

Pros: The calibration tool on the guitar works really well. Over 60 new songs. Freestyle solo sections.

Cons: No online play. The game feels stripped down. A fraction of the legacy DLC is available currently. The set list leaves a lot to be desired .

I'm a huge rock band fan and I freaked out when RB4 was announced but honestly I'm disappointed with the current state the game is in. I probably would wait unless you need it now.
Wait, theres no online?

That is actually a joke. holy shit lol there goes any desire for me to get this game.

bread's done
Back