NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boneless']I downloaded the pc version exe. When installing I selected the wrong birthdate. Now it wont let me install without calling customer service. How do i fix this?[/QUOTE]
Call customer service?

After 6 hours of downloading/installation, it says 'Could not launch the game, (X) Retry'

I am doing it on the PS3, anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?

[quote name='Morpha']After 6 hours of downloading/installation, it says 'Could not launch the game, (X) Retry'

I am doing it on the PS3, anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does that.
Not sure if it's like that right now, though. I'm too lazy to check.

[quote name='Morpha']After 6 hours of downloading/installation, it says 'Could not launch the game, (X) Retry'

I am doing it on the PS3, anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had same issue last night on PS3. I just kept retrying and finally got on around 11:45 EST last night. Played for about an hour.

I got the game downloaded, took abut 3 1/2 hours on my connection.. but after creating my character and trying to join a game after that I guess it would just sit there for 5 minutes and nothing ever happened.. at least it was a big boobed blonde on the loading screen while I waited.

Kinda long for a beta to STILL be going on...

Kidding.

I downloaded it and played through the tutorial, but when I got to the police station hub, I was unable to leave. The teleporter wasn't functioning and I couldn't zone out the front door, and I was still getting the tut help messages from inside Brainiac's ship.

I tried a quit restart and the game just kept loading and loading and loading... so I said to hell with it.

My PS3 DCUO DC Universe Online names are
videovac
miklonus
instrumental king
FeenaSik
Lissa Drak
The last 4 are based off of DC characters.

I've tried a few times to play the game, but every time it gets stuck at the Power Girl loading screen... Thank goodness it's free. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if I was paying to play it. Frustrating enough after waiting countless hours to download and install.

Game has been downloading for 10 hours through Steam and I only have 5.4 GB out of 17.5 GB done. Oh won't it be SO grand when everything is like this? (sarcasm)

I downloaded the entire game in 4 hours Thu afternoon. Been in several times since then, no problem for the most part. One time had to wait 15 minutes in queue. Other time the system was down for a few hours and couldn't login.

EDIT: PS3 version

[quote name='Stimes']There is a way, I've been letting my 8 year old play it and I saw him add a cape and change his costume color. I don't know how he did it or if you can do more then that but yes you can change it, we had the same problem when first trying to create a character.[/QUOTE]

Hit start while playing. R2/L2 to style. You can change appearance and colors to anything you have ever picked up. If you pick up something that is worse than what you have but it says "not collected" on it you still want to put it on and then trade it for your other gear just so you collect the style.

Besides getting the style to use you also get points for collecting multiple styles or all pieces in a certain style. These points add up and give you skill points to improve your character.

Same with doing collections, briefs, investigations (green, yellow and blue tokens), races and various other things.

You can lock style so that when you put on a new item it does not show up instead of what you want to look like.

I haven't read all the posts so someone might have gone over this already but I have seen lots of posts on here and on the official forms about "noob camping" and similar so I thought I would give some advice.

If you are playing on a pvp server and are level 2 or whatever and some level 30 kills you for no reason: get over it.

You can call them all kinds of names and whine on the forums or complain in Shout but everyone else has already been through it. Here is what someone told me when I first started playing mmo's:

Go to an area where lots of enemies are. Attack them. Die. Rinse and repeat until your ego is gone. Take your armor off if you want so you don't have repair costs. That's it.

The only other thing I can offer is learn to play your character. Duel a friend and don't try to win it quick, practice blocking and breaking blocks, etc.

Gear and level and skills matter but less so in this game then others. You can win against characters much higher than you who never learned how to really fight.

Btw, just started playing again since the server crashed, any cag guilds formed that are looking for peeps? Have a level 30 sorc, level 25 gadgets and level 25 torch. Pm me please or let me know who to look for in game. Thanks.

19 hours, 11.6 out of 17.6 GB downloaded.

I really wish my apartment wasn't ATT exclusive and the fastest speed available was 1.5 M down.

[quote name='frazzums']Ehh, I doubt it. I'm sitting in a 4000 queue as a premium member at the moment.[/QUOTE]

And are they going to have more than 1 server per platform per continent now? A few months back they shrunk everything down to 1 server each for PS3 and PC in North America and Europe.

Just wasted a half hour of my life. Was 7600+ in a queue. Waited. Got to a load screen where it just hung forever. On PS3.

[quote name='abert78160']Just wasted a half hour of my life. Was 7600+ in a queue. Waited. Got to a load screen where it just hung forever. On PS3.[/QUOTE]

According to the official DCUO Facebook page, they're working on adding hardware and optimizing their systems to fix the long queue problems...also, they mentioned that the long loading screen problems are likely because their software is putting you transparently in a second queue after character selection. People have been reporting long loading screen times (20-30 minutes of waiting at the loading screen) to get into the game lately, not just upon new character creation :(

Thanks for the link to their page. Hope they do get some fixes in. Im eager to try it out some more but not worth the effort and time commitment right now (for me anyway). Will wait til there are improvements.

[quote name='tiffany360']I've tried a few times to play the game, but every time it gets stuck at the Power Girl loading screen... Thank goodness it's free. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if I was paying to play it. Frustrating enough after waiting countless hours to download and install.[/QUOTE]

Same issue here with the Power Girl loading screen, as it'll just get stuck "loading." Any other loading screen (Joker, Quinn, etc.) works just fine.

Gave up on this game after a few hours on Saturday. Figured that would've been enough time to get things together, but obviously not. I'll give it a few more days, but by then I'll probably be playing MW3.

All I know is I'd be so pissed off right now if I were a Legendary player.

Hmmm, enjoy what I've played of it so far. Debating about grabbing the Fight for the light pack so I can become premium and get some extra content out of it.

[quote name='MoCiWe']Hmmm, enjoy what I've played of it so far. Debating about grabbing the Fight for the light pack so I can become premium and get some extra content out of it.[/QUOTE]

I did, the Light Powers are actually pretty cool. I havent reached 30 yet so Im not sure at what point you get to play all the Green Lantern content though.

I would love to play this game but ever since I showed my girl the character customization screen I haven't been able to play it.

From what I saw it looks great and the sound is amazing. So I guess I'll be playing on my 360 now lol.

well Ive tried it. and got stuck at the Transporter after I fought my way thru the ship at the begining. For some reason holding the button like it says doesnt do anything.

[quote name='CBas92']I did, the Light Powers are actually pretty cool. I havent reached 30 yet so Im not sure at what point you get to play all the Green Lantern content though.[/QUOTE]

I decided to get it as well, now I can make a yellow lantern and I get a couple of extra characters slots and all that so it seems like a good deal.

[quote name='crow3232']well Ive tried it. and got stuck at the Transporter after I fought my way thru the ship at the begining. For some reason holding the button like it says doesnt do anything.[/QUOTE]
Same happened to me on my first try. Had to start over

[quote name='Shimrra']I would love to play this game but ever since I showed my girl the character customization screen I haven't been able to play it.

From what I saw it looks great and the sound is amazing. So I guess I'll be playing on my 360 now lol.[/QUOTE]

Sounds familiar. I've been banished to the bedroom Xbox 360 while she dominates the home theater with her DCUO play on the PS3.

[quote name='shadowkast']Same happened to me on my first try. Had to start over[/QUOTE]
yes Ive done it twice. same thing. Ill see if i try it again

Redeemed a Legendary membership trial from subway then found out it was for PC only. Urgh, took me 2 days to download for PS3, I'll pass.

I've played a few times so far and been booted a couple times as well. 5,000+ join queue at peak time so someone must be playing it.

Not a fan of only 1 PvE server in PS3 version.

But it's free, so why am I complaining? It's been mildly entertaining so far, and maybe I can get some trophies out of it?

DC Universe 30-Day FREE Legendary Access (PC ONLY):
CE3M-KC4E-KJM2-9M2N-94X7 (used by revsmitty)
K7AR-6HF6-ATEG-TMG2-AANF (used by Lemarfanz)
To redeem, visit www.dcuniverseonline.com/subway, enter the code, and click on the Download Now link.

Enjoy and please post when used!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='outcast529']DC Universe 30-Day FREE Legendary Access (PC ONLY):
CE3M-KC4E-KJM2-9M2N-94X7
K7AR-6HF6-ATEG-TMG2-AANF
To redeem, visit www.dcuniverseonline.com/subway, enter the code, and click on the Download Now link.

Enjoy and please post when used![/QUOTE]

Used: CE3M-KC4E-KJM2-9M2N-94X7

Just bought the Fight for the Light DLC and made a villain. Pretty fun so far, though this is my first MMORPG, so I have no idea how certain things work (group loot, etc.).

So if I get the Legendary 30-day access from Subway will that let me get the Fight for the Light DLC for free then I'm a premium member for the rest of the time?

I thought there were trophies to get from this? I have a lvl 10 villian in Free-to-play and haven't unlocked 1 trophy yet. What's up with that?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So if I get the Legendary 30-day access from Subway will that let me get the Fight for the Light DLC for free then I'm a premium member for the rest of the time?[/QUOTE]

No, it will let you play with the Fight for the Light stuff while you're Legendary, but once you go premium that content will be unavailable to you unless you purchase it.

[quote name='Dukey77777']I thought there were trophies to get from this? I have a lvl 10 villian in Free-to-play and haven't unlocked 1 trophy yet. What's up with that?[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, trophies are for players with Premium and Legendary status only.

Looks like they FINALLY implemented priority queuing... I used the PSN movie deal wallet add plus another $5 to get the Fight for the Light add-on and bump me to premium. The new character I created was in the game with no apparent queuing, compared to the half-hour I had just waited while the account was free. If you're at all enjoying this game, I definitely recommend getting a premium account.

[quote name='warreni']As I understand it, trophies are for players with Premium and Legendary status only.[/QUOTE]

I believe only Legendary Memebers get trophies. I'm a Premium Member and haven't received any.

[quote name='darkchild81']I believe only Legendary Memebers get trophies. I'm a Premium Member and haven't received any.[/QUOTE]

This certainly may be true. I haven't seen any confirmation that premiums have access to trophies; early pre-release reports seemed to indicate that they would, and that's what I based my statement on. Personally, I don't have 17 Gb to spare on my PS3, so I'll probably fire up the PC client sometime in the next week after I've redeemed my Subway 30-days of Legendary code.

[quote name='Dukey77777']Free members can't get trophies? Bah, why am I playing this

[/QUOTE]

The fact that some people need trophies to enjoy a game deeply saddens me.

bread's done
Back