NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Minkyboi']Dude, I know the $5 doesnt give you the Legendary level, but you need to learn to read because you're just spreading more false information.[/QUOTE]

It seems you also need to learn how to read. I was not saying that the $5 level does not include trophies. I was basing my comment off of someone elses post.

According to woodcan "They stated only "paid" games can have trophies and only the Legendary membership would have them.

If that is untrue then that is good news since I was going to more then likely pay the $5 fee to get some add-on stuff and that was it.

[quote name='Minkyboi']Free players have access to the entire game, but their actions won't unlock Sony's answer to Microsoft's Achievement Points. To earn the trinkets, players have to pay $5 to become a Premium member or $15 to become a Legendary member.[/QUOTE]

Source and are they reliable? The PlayStation.blog is pretty clear that trophies require Legendary Status.

I havent turned my PS3 on in over a month...maybe I will for this. But if I remember correctly the download/install is massive, no?

[quote name='StealOfADeal']whats the big deal about achievements & trophies? jw[/QUOTE]

It gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I may get slammed for this, and I'll say up front I'm not big into online gaming and having 10,000 'friends' on XBL and PSN, though I generally avoid iOS and other games such as on the Wii and PSP if they don't have achievements.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']My backlog for PS3/360 alone is around 150-200 games, so it isn't a big deal, but it gives me less interest in playing. Also, the $5 doesn't give you the Legendary level, that requires $15 a month.

According to woodcan "They stated only "paid" games can have trophies and only the Legendary membership would have them."

That means it would be $15 a month to get trophies in it. Is it what makes me play a game no, but with so many other games for me to play this makes me less interested in playing DCUO. If I can trophies with the one time $5 payment that is different, but I refuse to play $15 a month.[/QUOTE]

Does backlog to you mean every game ever released?

[quote name='Romeo']It gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I may get slammed for this, and I'll say up front I'm not big into online gaming and having 10,000 'friends' on XBL and PSN, though I generally avoid iOS and other games such as on the Wii and PSP if they don't have achievements.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny... and sad, by the way.

[quote name='Romeo']It gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I may get slammed for this, and I'll say up front I'm not big into online gaming and having 10,000 'friends' on XBL and PSN, though I generally avoid iOS and other games such as on the Wii and PSP if they don't have achievements.[/QUOTE]

^ I feel you. It's the same reason people play any other games. Why do you play a game on hard mode? To get a sense of accomplishment right? Same thing with achievements IMO. I like them =)

10,000 huh?! Don't both systems have a cap (I don't think it's 5,000 ;))[quote name='Romeo']It gives you a sense of accomplishment.

[quote name='Drclaw411']will it be free to play if you have the disk? if this gets free to download, the hard copy used will plummet in price.[/QUOTE]
The hard copy used is already worthless. Any game shop that knows won't let you trade it in because the one-time use code itself was entitlement to play to the game, not really the disk.

[quote name='shadowkast']10,000 huh?! Don't both systems have a cap (I don't think it's 5,000 ;))[/QUOTE]

Just to confirm, my sentence stated I do NOT care and do NOT have large friends lists for anything online. To summarize. I don't give a fuck if people see my achievements, they're for me.

[quote name='Romeo']Just to confirm, my sentence stated I do NOT care and do NOT have large friends lists for anything online. To summarize. I don't give a fuck if people see my achievements, they're for me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I collect trophies since they help extend the life of a game I otherwise wouldnt replay. Plus my best friend and I play around the same amount of games and have very close scores(Im winning) so it provides friendly competition and bragging rights.

[quote name='CBas92']Exactly. I collect trophies since they help extend the life of a game I otherwise wouldnt replay. Plus my best friend and I play around the same amount of games and have very close scores(Im winning) so it provides friendly competition and bragging rights.[/QUOTE]

But I am sure your best friend is "winning" at life.

[quote name='AukeySeven']But I am sure your best friend is "winning" at life.[/QUOTE]

Au contraire. Funny you mention that actually. There's a reason my friends refer to me as the Black Charlie Sheen(has nothing to do with hookers and cocaine, unfortunately).

[quote name='CBas92']Au contraire. Funny you mention that actually. There's a reason my friends refer to me as the Black Charlie Sheen(has nothing to do with hookers and cocaine, unfortunately).[/QUOTE]

Is it because you don't have a job?

so when are they finally going to make this a free download? I figured that they would have on the 25th considering that it was the last tuesday of the month but it still isn't free.

[quote name='Malibu_Barbie']so when are they finally going to make this a free download? I figured that they would have on the 25th considering that it was the last tuesday of the month but it still isn't free.[/QUOTE]

There will be a 'big announcement' today according to the developer's facebook page.

[quote name='robbyH']There will be a 'big announcement' today according to the developer's facebook page.[/QUOTE]

yay finally haha I have been patiently waiting

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Instead of wasting time putting these lil e-peen boosters in their games, the devs should really try making a complete game that isn't a mess that crashes and needs to be patched every other week for 6 months after release.:roll:[/QUOTE]
I doubt Achievements and/or Trophies are the reason for this issue... Complex engines and multiple platforms are more likely the culprits.

Seems I (and IGN) are wrong about the premium membership getting trophies as like others have said I looked around on the Playstation Blog and found multiple references to needing legendary membership...

Personally, with this news and the fact I have a small HD in my PS3 I'm less interested in the game than I was before... Though I will likely download any free PC version that comes out and give it a try but I'm really not a MMO fan. (Though I did rather enjoy Champions Online Free Trial but didn't like it so much after it went Free to Play.)

As for the whole Trophy/Achievement debate... The short version: I actually like them, they keep me playing games after I would likely have moved on (as an example I know I never would have finished GTAIV without them), but at the same time people can take them too far... I could never play some horrible game just for easy achievements/trophies.

Granted, I do game without them... Just not that very often. (but that’s likely just because the two systems I play most have them.)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I doubt Achievements and/or Trophies are the reason for this issue... Complex engines and multiple platforms are more likely the culprits.[/QUOTE]
Whatever the reason, games need to come out a little more polished and a lot less buggy, since there's nothing more frustrating to me than having to download/install a day one patch the size of a good sized PC game install because they rushed the game out the door.
As for the whole Trophy/Achievement debate... The short version: I actually like them, they keep me playing games after I would likely have moved on (as an example I know I never would have finished GTAIV without them), but at the same time people can take them too far... I could never play some horrible game just for easy achievements/trophies.

Granted, I do game without them... Just not that very often. (but that’s likely just because the two systems I play most have them.)
Only time I've really bothered with trophies was to help people I know try to get some of them. Hardest one that I think we tried for was the Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic one in GTA IV. That one required you to be on the winning team in at least one of each game and do so within certain strict time limits.:roll:

[quote name='Lucian']The hard copy used is already worthless. Any game shop that knows won't let you trade it in because the one-time use code itself was entitlement to play to the game, not really the disk.[/QUOTE]

I was actually considering picking up the used disc cheap instead of going through the 15+ hour download, especially since I am getting close to capacity on my PS3 hard drive.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hardest one that I think we tried for was the Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic one in GTA IV.[/QUOTE]Pretty sure I'm not even close to having it completed... No, I'm sure of it. Its got a TA (trueachivement.com) ratio of 9.0 which is ridiculous for a game of that age.

And that's another thing that is cool about achievements... You can use various sites to see whats more popular if players are given a choice between to possible outcomes. (like Renegade/Paragon in Mass Effect.)

Or just how often a game is finished... 112K users played GTAIV and of them 53K users finished the game. (this is TA users data only.)

All in all, not a horrible addition to the world of gaming. :) (IMHO)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Pretty sure I'm not even close to having it completed... No, I'm sure of it. Its got a TA (trueachivement.com) ratio of 9.0 which is ridiculous for a game of that age.

And that's another thing that is cool about achievements... You can use various sites to see whats more popular if players are given a choice between to possible outcomes. (like Renegade/Paragon in Mass Effect.)

Or just how often a game is finished... 112K users played GTAIV and of them 53K users finished the game. (this is TA users data only.)

All in all, not a horrible addition to the world of gaming. :) (IMHO)[/QUOTE]
I finished the game too(on PS3). But by the end of it was so frickin' bored with it that I'm really debating if I'm going to buy GTA V day one or not. Normally it's a no brainer for me as I usually do either pre-order it someplace or just stop in a 24 hour Wally World and grab it at midnight.

But unless they make the characters more interesting(got more enjoyment out of Vice City's endgame, which was basically a copy of Scarface's ending to an extent) and do less of the 'dating' and other side shit that's so annoying, then I'll skip the next one for a while.

[quote name='funjoe']I was actually considering picking up the used disc cheap instead of going through the 15+ hour download, especially since I am getting close to capacity on my PS3 hard drive.[/QUOTE]
Even if you have the disc you still have to go through the download.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Even if you have the disc you still have to go through the download.[/QUOTE]

Really? But having the disc would cut down on the download time and require less space on my HDD than if I downloaded the entire game off of the PS store, no? I'm just a caveman, I don't understand the modern world and your "downloadable games" and "megabytes".

[quote name='funjoe']Really? But having the disc would cut down on the download time and require less space on my HDD than if I downloaded the entire game off of the PS store, no? I'm just a caveman, I don't understand the modern world and your "downloadable games" and "megabytes".[/QUOTE]

With the Ps3 disc there is an installation of aprox 11 GB and it took me 40 minutes.
Then you have to download the rest (8 GB aprox with patches and everything) and with my 2mb internet it took around 7 hours.

[quote name='FerDK']With the Ps3 disc there is an installation of aprox 11 GB and it took me 40 minutes.
Then you have to download the rest (8 GB aprox with patches and everything) and with my 2mb internet it took around 7 hours.[/QUOTE]
:lol:I could only imagine how long 8gb's would take on my base DSL(768kbps) connection. My PS3 would probably be tied up for 2 weeks.:rofl: fuck that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol:I could only imagine how long 8gb's would take on my base DSL(768kbps) connection. My PS3 would probably be tied up for 2 weeks.:rofl: fuck that.[/QUOTE]

People still use DSL? I don't know anyone other than my parents that even have a working phone line anymore.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']People still use DSL? I don't know anyone other than my parents that even have a working phone line anymore.[/QUOTE]

If you live in a rural area, there is very little chance that you have cable service, and even less of a chance of fiber.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']People still use DSL? I don't know anyone other than my parents that even have a working phone line anymore.[/QUOTE]
Here's another shocker: I don't own a cell phone either.:shock: No wait. Actually that's NOT true. I have a cell phone($7 on clearance from Kmart about 4-5 years ago), but I just never activated it or bought a time card for it. I am the epitome of cheapass.
[quote name='bnizzle']If you live in a rural area, there is very little chance that you have cable service, and even less of a chance of fiber.[/QUOTE]
It also doesn't help when Comcast gouges out the ass for their shitty services($10 a month to rent a stupid box for a second tv, $60 for tons of tv channels....that I'll never fuckin' watch). I looked into their internet service. It's like $40 a month for their speed that's better than the DSL I have. fuck that. I am a cheap ass. I refuse to pay more than $20 a month for internet. Hell. If I had it my way I'd just jack into a wide open wifi signal and not pay squat.

[quote name='bnizzle']If you live in a rural area, there is very little chance that you have cable service, and even less of a chance of fiber.[/QUOTE] kinda my situation. I also live too far from the road where the cable lines run. I'm down on the lake and they want us to pay to run the cable underground or pay per foot and per pole installed... no thanx, I'll live with 3mb dsl

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's another shocker: I don't own a cell phone either.:shock: No wait. Actually that's NOT true. I have a cell phone($7 on clearance from Kmart about 4-5 years ago), but I just never activated it or bought a time card for it. I am the epitome of cheapass[/QUOTE]

:shock: ... I really envy you.

[quote name='bnizzle']If you live in a rural area, there is very little chance that you have cable service, and even less of a chance of fiber.[/QUOTE]
I had 1.5 meg DSL, but just recently went with a Canopy wireless system from a local provider. 6 meg download for the same price (maybe even a little less) I was paying for the 1.5 meg. You just need line of sight to their towers. I get lower ping times too.

I live in a city of almost half a million. Comcast rules with an iron fist and some of the junction points are old as the hills. At one place I was paying for 20mb and I was getting 26kb. Yes, half the speed of dial up. I called twice and they said it worked fine. I went to dsl. I actually got 20mb for half the price.

Seems crazy but there have been weirder things.

[quote name='kingsnuff']Ive got Comcast internet...50MB/s Thats about the only thing I pay for through them. is this live in the ps store yet?[/QUOTE]

No. SOE is making an announcement at 4:30 pm Pacific time today.

bread's done
Back