NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does get repetitive.. I too also like to explore. What erks me more is when you're just out wandering around, you get jumped by like 2+ heroes who are generally at lvl 30. I'm up to lvl. 28 on villian from just doing the solo missions, which tend to be a little on the short side, but fun, and you get alot of the stories that way. There's also exploration rewards for going around to all the monuments in the game. Haven't gotten into the group missions too much. If interested in finding me, I'm Grimshow_TKJ....the TKJ is from the old server "The Killing Joke" and supposedly there was a person on another old server who had a name close to mine before they merged all the servers, so I couldn't just keep "Grimshaw" and I'm not feeling creative to come up with a new name right now..

Might be worth chipping in $5 for the premium membership. The free membership on most MMOs are so painful to play because you have almost nothing at your disposal, and paying for premium items would kill your wallet faster than the $15/month subscription. Plus I hear the game takes no time to level up your character so I think I can get a few months of fun out of it being different superheroes before just moving on.

Was I wrong in thinking DCU was on Steam? Did they pull it a l long time ago, or just recently to put out a new F2P client?

Side note: I think the character model for The Joker is abysmal, but that's just me. He looks more like a Gotham City Impostor than the real deal.

[quote name='SamuraiINC']Sorry if this was already answered. Is there any benefit to purchasing the game before it becomes F2P?[/QUOTE]

Not having to have to DL and store 18 gigs on your HDD is one perk (assuming the disc version doesn't require a ridiculous install size too)

Thanks for the notice on this - will definitely give it a shot, limitations and all. Something I'd mess around with every once and a while, but since beta-testing the original Evercrack, have not again ventured into these waters.

When the game launched there were tons of people complaining about having to install the entire game regardless of buying the physical copy, and even though the disc is useless after you use the code it has to be in your PS3 to play it.

So yea, i'd avoid going out of your way to get that disc. If its more than the $15 in savings it would give you, skip it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not having to have to DL and store 18 gigs on your HDD is one perk (assuming the disc version doesn't require a ridiculous install size too)[/QUOTE]

It's an MMO - you ahve to fully install the game regardless of platform. PC doesn't require a disc-in-tray but the PS3 does.

Hopefully downloading the game from PSN and then patching it will end before Christmas :p

I can't remember if patching can be paused? I mean, when you are downloading the updates directly from the DCUO client.

[quote name='StarryWisdom']It's an MMO - you ahve to fully install the game regardless of platform. PC doesn't require a disc-in-tray but the PS3 does.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's what I was afraid of

[quote name='JohnDM']Might be worth chipping in $5 for the premium membership. The free membership on most MMOs are so painful to play because you have almost nothing at your disposal, and paying for premium items would kill your wallet faster than the $15/month subscription. Plus I hear the game takes no time to level up your character so I think I can get a few months of fun out of it being different superheroes before just moving on.

Was I wrong in thinking DCU was on Steam? Did they pull it a l long time ago, or just recently to put out a new F2P client?

Side note: I think the character model for The Joker is abysmal, but that's just me. He looks more like a Gotham City Impostor than the real deal.[/QUOTE]

The free to play membership just doesn't have some extra character slots and inventory space. It doesn't look like it will neuter the gameplay that much. The leveling up is fairly quick, true, but the missions and events are awesome in teams. It's definitely a good game for free, spending $5 would just a slightly better upgrade.

Re: Side note: Joke may not look great, but it beats playing knock offs in City of Heroes/Villains.

Thinking about trying this out on the PS3. Excited to have a go at it and might even consider upgrading from Free to Premium depending on the quality.

This better be in the early part of October because if it is late October....let's say the 25th or later I will be dedicating all my time with Battlefield 3 and MW3. If Sony wants at least $5 from me the sooner it is out the better.

Again, MattYoung730 is my account. I will retain the paid membership which gives me the ability to start a team/league, plus those extra storage spots help so much.

So wait, is this going to be able to be downloaded on PSN as well as PC, or just PC only? I might give it a try if it's free on PS3

Anyone who has interest in the game and/or source material would be foolish to pass this up. I have been playing since the beta and don't regret spending $10 a month (got in on a deal they had early on) whatsoever. It's a huge install, but if you have the hard drive space, get this game. It's as active as ever since they merged the servers.

[quote name='Matt Young']Anyone who has interest in the game and/or source material would be foolish to pass this up. I have been playing since the beta and don't regret spending $10 a month (got in on a deal they had early on) whatsoever. It's a huge install, but if you have the hard drive space, get this game. It's as active as ever since they merged the servers.[/QUOTE]
Shit, looks like I need to delete some stuff then, cause I only got like 10 GB left.

[quote name='eliter1']I am waiting for the CE to drop to $20-$30is so I can get that Batman statue.[/QUOTE]

YMMV, but I picked mine up at BBY on clearance for $30.

I've been interested in this game for quite a while but a monthly charge plus whatever it would have been to buy the game made me very hesitant as I'm just not used to MMOs or a monthly charge for a game.
So I'm definitely glad I'll be able to actually try this game out.

6. As a current subscriber what does going to the Free-to-Play model mean for me?

As a current subscriber of DC Universe Online, you will automatically convert to our Legendary Access plan with all its benefits and privileges as long as your subscription remains active. For you, the change to Free-to-Play opens up additional benefits including increased numbers of inventory and character slots, priority access to servers and the inclusion of all DLC Packs in your access level at no additional charge!

So just out of curiosity, and I hope it hasn't already been asked, but would this mean I should setup my account prior to F2P using my month trial (bought LE disc) or would it make no difference if I used it after? In other words, which method gets me more benefits? I ask this because my PS3 went YLOD, and I need to know how fast I need to get going on trying to repair it.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']So just out of curiosity, and I hope it hasn't already been asked, but would this mean I should setup my account prior to F2P using my month trial (bought LE disc) or would it make no difference if I used it after? In other words, which method gets me more benefits? I ask this because my PS3 went YLOD, and I need to know how fast I need to get going on trying to repair it.[/QUOTE]

Is seems that the 30-day subscription included in the retail version will give users the "Legendary Game Access Level" (for 30 days only).

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/faq.vm

[quote name='FerDK']Is seems that the 30-day subscription included in the retail version will give users the "Legendary Game Access Level" (for 30 days only).

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/faq.vm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, but I was thinking more along the second part of my quote.

For you, the change to Free-to-Play opens up additional benefits including increased numbers of inventory and character slots, priority access to servers and the inclusion of all DLC Packs in your access level at no additional charge!

I could be just confused, but is this referring to benefits in ADDITION to legendary level status given to legacy members? And if so, what I was getting at was whether or not trial accounts prior to the change to F2P would be counted as getting these legacy benefits. Otherwise, I may just be stupid, reading too much into it, and those benefits are just there as a restate for what legendary mode is...

[quote name='ferris182']So is this game free yet on the PSN?

If yes, where do I access the free version?[/QUOTE]

Nope :/
I'm hoping for next week though.

Sony didn't make a deadline? Wow. Who would have thought.....

I'll try it, but I have no real hope after trying the other F2P MMO on PSN(and PS Home).

[quote name='Sychophantom']Sony didn't make a deadline? Wow. Who would have thought.....

I'll try it, but I have no real hope after trying the other F2P MMO on PSN(and PS Home).[/QUOTE]

This was a retail disk previously though

imho free still isn't a good enough deal for this game... I don't know how they ever kept afloat this long, even. Awful, awful game. Awful powers, awful controls, awful interface, awful quests... the list goes on. The one thing they have going for them is the obscure cameo appearances, and the novelty of it all runs dry pretty quick. The highlights of that game included the few times I went, "Oh hey, I vaguely/almost/kinda remember this person/place/thing from that one comic/story/show I read/watched/heard about when I was a kid/in high school/last week."

First Star Wars, and now DC Comics. Never again will I fall to your MMO trickery, Sony.

^^^ I've never fallen for any mmo trickery. Therefore, i will give this a shot despite all your claims. However, I will remember all your claims while trying it out. Fair enough?

Amen, Bnizzle. I'm still praying BioWare will make a single-player version of The Old Republic, obviously a few years down the line, no time soon.

Still, my love for Batman ("I'd like to kiss him between the lips, so to speak") and Superman compels me to play this, I was almost willing to pay the free so I'm ecstatic about playing this for free.

bread's done
Back