NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']It takes like 2 seconds to install a new HDD. I don't know how you people are able to live with 40gb. My 60gb seemed like it was always full and now my 160gb is doing the same.[/QUOTE]
But not everyone downloads a ton of movies and what not onto their hard drives. If I see my 160gb is getting filled up, then I'll simply delete a few game files(some of these installs take frickin' gigs:shock:) and continue on my merry way.

I can always re-install them once I'm done with whatever game I'm trying to finish.;)

[quote name='Buuhan1']Hate em all you want, they're not going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate them at all, I just think it's stupid to not play a free game because you can't earn them.

Looks like I'll be firing up the ol' PS3 again :).

It's been jealous as fuck sitting next to my warm 360 all this time. And the Wii... god I feel sorry for that little guy. He has Zelda to look forward to, though :D

[quote name='redfusion']I don't hate them at all, I just think it's stupid to not play a free game because you can't earn them.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, a good game deserves to be played rather it has trophies or not. However I haven't heard great things about DCUO, I'm not huge into the comic-book scene, and I'm not into MMO's like I use to be. Trophies would merely be incentive to bring me to free up 40gb on my PS3 harddrive.

I can't believe numerous people are saying trophies are more important than the quality of the game. WOW.

As someone whos been playing this on PS3 since beta...There's two issues I see with the preliminary tier set-up...

1> The lack of voice chat is killer. Some of the raids actually require communication and teamwork. The mid-tier has "proximity" chat but will that carry over into instances/raids? Without it, there's going to be a lot of PUG groups demanding pay-players.

2> The currency maximum is TINY. 1000 and 2000? Thats barely enough to fix your armor. Forget about buying anything in the auction house.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing overall. I do know that new players getting to level 30 and then trying to do alerts and raids without voice chat will lead to lots more bad reviews.

[quote name='Dreamweapon']
Once you have the drive, if you want to save what your existing files and don't have PS+, use the backup utility on the XMB to copy the drive's contents to a USB drive (I used a 60gb iPod classic, it worked fine).[/QUOTE]

Hm. I've been wanting to do this for a while, as I have a 120Gb "thin" model, and I've nearly used all my space. Can you tell me whether the built-in backup utility allows you to compress the data? I don't currently have any external drives that are larger than 40Gb, although in a pinch I might be able to use the Personal Media Drive in my computer unless the PS3 won't recognize an NTFS device.

For those concerned about trophies, this MAY work the way it does for PS + full game trials and downloadable demos. If this is the case, it may be possible to play the game, perform the tasks which net you trophies, buy a month's Legendary sub, and the trophies will unlock. This is what happened when I bought Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light after playing the demo and also when I played through the full game trial of Assassins Creed II when it was on sale earlier this year for $10 and bought the full version after completing the requirements for a few trophies. This leads me to think that it would work the same way because they would just be using the same code. Any trophies you can't earn in free or premium status (maybe things tied to Legendary perks) and can't complete in that 30 days you might not be able to get.

The last mmo type of game I played was phantasy star online on the dreamcast and that was like crack to me so I am bit nervous to play this since I'm a DC fanboy and it seems like fun. My wife complains already that I play too much games (1hour a day-lol).

Hey this is cool. Will definitely give it a try now that its free.

...And yet, I can't help shake the feeling that free = bad. Like when any MMO goes F2P it means a massive failure. I'm not saying this is the case with DCU, but I have trouble getting past that stereotype. Anyone else ever have this problem?

[quote name='warreni']Hm. I've been wanting to do this for a while, as I have a 120Gb "thin" model, and I've nearly used all my space. Can you tell me whether the built-in backup utility allows you to compress the data?[/QUOTE]

It does not compress thankfully I picked up a 500 GB external last black friday for $40 knowing I'd want to back up my PS3 every 6 months or so just in case. I have a 500Gb in my system and I'm using close to 250Gb just in game data so those who say they don't get the space issue clearly don't use their PS3 as their dedicated gaming device.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Having played LOTRO as F2P, I've found that while it's a great way to start playing the game and see if you like it, you'll reach the point where you'll either get fed up with running into things that require you to buy them through the in-game store or you'll decide to pony up some cash to either pay the subscription fee or buy the quest packs and and other perks that you get if you pay the subscription fee. I'm pretty sure that if LOTRO had offered a lifetime sub for $200 after they went F2P, many people probably would have bought it because it's less expensive if you are an active player that likes to have multiple alts.[/QUOTE]
You just illustrated why I don't waste my time on F2P MMOs anymore, because they're a flat out lie. To access content (read: be competitive) in these games, you have to pay. They're designed to bait you and once they have their hooks in, it's time to pay. I'd rather play an MMO that everyone is paying $15/mo. for and not deal with such nonsense. I find most F2P games are shit anyway, so it's a lose-lose situation.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']It does not compress thankfully I picked up a 500 GB external last black friday for $40 knowing I'd want to back up my PS3 every 6 months or so just in case. I have a 500Gb in my system and I'm using close to 250Gb just in game data so those who say they don't get the space issue clearly don't use their PS3 as their dedicated gaming device.[/QUOTE]

Dude, delete some of that game data, there's no way you need to have 250GB's worth on there

[quote name='ryosnk']The last mmo type of game I played was phantasy star online on the dreamcast and that was like crack to me so I am bit nervous to play this since I'm a DC fanboy and it seems like fun. My wife complains already that I play too much games (1hour a day-lol).[/QUOTE]

ONE HOUR A DAY? Man, you should be doing a minimum of 4-6, I'd say. EDIT:

Nice I was in the different phases of the beta test and it still had a good amount of bugs/issues just before release will be nice to see if they got those all worked out..

Wonder if I can tie my PSN account to my PC account and play the same character on either platform.

Oh, that could be cool! They ought to do that. I don't really see a reason to play this on my Playstation though.

[quote name='Jodou']You just illustrated why I don't waste my time on F2P MMOs anymore, because they're a flat out lie. To access content (read: be competitive) in these games, you have to pay. They're designed to bait you and once they have their hooks in, it's time to pay. I'd rather play an MMO that everyone is paying $15/mo. for and not deal with such nonsense. I find most F2P games are shit anyway, so it's a lose-lose situation.[/QUOTE]

Games that use a Freemium model typically provide a lot of content for little to no investment by the casual player. LOTRO is one good example of this. Champions Online and Star Trek Online appear to be two others (I've only played STO a wee bit.) It can be viewed as an extended trial in some sense because, depending on just how the model works, a substantial portion of the PvE content may be pay-gated. On the other hand, LOTRO allows you to earn currency by completing in-game deeds and you can (although it's pretty grindy) actually go from 1 - 65 and see everything the game has to offer without spending one penny of real-world money.

Maybe your experience is limited to fairly low-budget MMOs and Korean games, but a lot of the games that have gone/are going to this model from a former P2P model are generally ones that have a large amount of pre-existing content of fairly high quality (were released as AA or AAA titles, like DCUO).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh, that could be cool! They ought to do that. I don't really see a reason to play this on my Playstation though.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be cool just to be able to try the different mechanics out and see which one I liked best (it'd probably be the PC but it may depend on how well they were able to optimize the controls for the console version). It seems like this would work, especially since the game client itself will soon be free to download and you would log into the same SOE account irrespective of the platform you're using.

^ I was thinking of other cool stuff SOE can do, and it would be great if gamers who own the retail version of DCUO get a bonus or plus for their initial support to the game.

[quote name='FerDK']^ I was thinking of other cool stuff SOE can do, and it would be great if gamers who own the retail version of DCUO get a bonus or plus for their initial support to the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's doable--other games like Champions Online and Star Trek Online have a system of veteran rewards for longterm subscribers and from what I've read LOTRO had a one-time veteran bonus given to subscribers after F2P went live. As to whether SOE is willing to do something like this, well, I guess someone who's played EverQuest 2 can tell you about how the transition to a freemium model worked for that game, but that person is not me because I've never played any EQ games (except for a brief stint with the dreadful RTS that came out I think in the mid-90s).

[quote name='Jodou']You just illustrated why I don't waste my time on F2P MMOs anymore, because they're a flat out lie. To access content (read: be competitive) in these games, you have to pay. They're designed to bait you and once they have their hooks in, it's time to pay. I'd rather play an MMO that everyone is paying $15/mo. for and not deal with such nonsense. I find most F2P games are shit anyway, so it's a lose-lose situation.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been suspicious about with these. Seems like it's a demo...

This seems more like a pretend to be free to play than actual free to play. Putting limits on stuff like gold is retarded. They even have a limit on how often you can talk/send tells, lmao.

These companys need to figure out a better f2p model imo.

[quote name='Ribkage']This seems more like a pretend to be free to play than actual free to play. Putting limits on stuff like gold is retarded. They even have a limit on how often you can talk/send tells, lmao.

These companys need to figure out a better f2p model imo.[/QUOTE]

Both of the things that you mention are very common when a game goes F2P. They are measures designed to reduce the proliferation of gold-farmers/spammers that inevitably result when you make accounts in an MMO available for free. Frankly, companies that don't do this are asking for a logistical nightmare for their GMs/tech support staff from the standpoint both of stopping the gold farmers and handling complaints from the legitimate userbase about gold farmers. Go ahead and take a look at any of the games that have gone F2P recently and you'll see that they have or shortly will be instituting similar measures. It's like Ice-T always said, "Don't hate the playa, hate the game." It's scam artists and Asian "e-sweatshops" that are diminishing the fun for the rest of us.

I was going to buy a PS3 when Twisted Metal came out but a good deal on Amazon Warehouse Deals and these news made me jump on it. I played the PC beta and loved it but I would never pay a monthly subscription for any game.

I think that paying $5 is reasonable to get to the next level, but if I can find a new ps3 copy for less than $20 would it be worth it?

Why is everyone talking about getting a physical copy? My understanding is that you can download the game for free and play....or am I missing something here.

[quote name='DaGrandMastah']Why is everyone talking about getting a physical copy? My understanding is that you can download the game for free and play....or am I missing something here.[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right. However SOE is going to stop manufacturing the disc copies so maybe everyone is interested on getting their hands on a potential collectable. Or maybe they've just misunderstood.

[quote name='DaGrandMastah']Why is everyone talking about getting a physical copy? My understanding is that you can download the game for free and play....or am I missing something here.[/QUOTE]

Well the game new has 30 days free should it should give you legendary status if you buy it and it you can get it for $15 or less it would be a good deal because after the trail you will still be at premium without paying any extra.

I always wanted to try it, but the monthly fee put me off. I'll gladly give it a shot - I liked City Of Heroes, and who doesn't want to play as a superhero surrounded by recognizable characters? I'm in.

[quote name='Matt Young']30. The game is my favorite on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

so thats not too bad then you can level all the way up for free. guess ill redownload it next month.

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Guess I'll buy the Green Lantern DLC and get bumped to premium...don't see me needing any more than that, frankly.[/QUOTE]

The Green Lantern DLC is free.

[quote name='WebScud']The Green Lantern DLC is free.[/QUOTE]

it's only free for subscribers, which is the legendary plan ($15 a month)

[quote name='WebScud']The Green Lantern DLC is free.[/QUOTE]

If you're a Legendary member. Not for the freebies or premmies.

If you buy the game you get legendary status till you decide not to pay 15/month if during the month I dl the GL DLC can I play it when my account reverts to free or premium?

[quote name='sharkslope']If you buy the game you get legendary status till you decide not to pay 15/month if during the month I dl the GL DLC can I play it when my account reverts to free or premium?[/QUOTE]

That is a question that no clear answer has emerged to at this point. The official FAQ implies that no premium or free player will have access to any DLC content after F2P, but I've never known a game to change from P2P to F2P and actually block players from content and items they previously had access to in the process. This sort of thing would cause a lot of veterans (undoubtedly already antsy about the change) to ragequit and not many companies want that kind of negative PR.

[quote name='xenozfan2']Well the game new has 30 days free should it should give you legendary status if you buy it and it you can get it for $15 or less it would be a good deal because after the trail you will still be at premium without paying any extra.[/QUOTE]

This, mostly. Some people will be interested in having a physical copy of the media for the sake of convenience (you won't have to download a Blu-ray's worth of content if you're playing the PC version) and others may want the physical goodies that come in the CE (I do, but I'm too poor to pay $60 for it at the moment) which may become a bit harder to find or may find the resale value jacked up by greedy ebayers just before or after the game converts to F2P. And there's a fair likelihood that at least some of the current content (like the GL DLC and maybe some of the endgame [level 30] content) will be free for "subscribers" and end up behind a pay gate after F2P; my suspicion, as I stated above, is that once you have access to something during the P2P period, you won't lose it later.

Anyone who gets this and plans to devote some time to it, please add me: MattYoung730. It'd be much nicer to play with CAGs for group alerts.

[quote name='Matt Young']Anyone who gets this and plans to devote some time to it, please add me: MattYoung730. It'd be much nicer to play with CAGs for group alerts.[/QUOTE]

That would be great. Hero or villain?
I´ve only played the beta and IMHO it was really good.
I see you have experience with the game so, in your opinion, which is the best class to play in DCUO?

Thanks!

hb1186 add me!

I like the Villian side and long walks on the beach and roofie-free cocktails. I might make a hero player too for my other character slot.

Honestly, I've only tried one character- a meta-human hero called Retcon, mentored by Superman. I think I'm only a level 13, but that's because (A) I prefer exploration to missions when I'm on my own and (B) it's sometimes hard to find a decent team for the raids and alerts you get after leveling up to 9-10. I have put hours into just exploring Gotham and Metropolis.

I'm more than willing to create another character or two and start from level 1 to try the villain side. I planned to do that anyway.

I might try a character out on this game now that it's free. I have friends who payed for it, and while they did enjoy playing the game, told me it gets ultra repetitive and boring.

bread's done
Back