NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cancerman1120']I guess according to his logic then a B2G1 free deal is not a deal...anything free...not a deal....what a maroon.:booty:[/QUOTE]

I continue to be baffled by the entire thing. People who think a $5 game belongs here, but then for some reason a free game doesn't...as though free is not a deal...as opposed to being the best possible deal.

It's...bizarre.

At any rate...hmm...I wouldn't mind trying this or if Star Trek goes free. (Well, if I ended up LIKING Star Trek, then I'd actually prefer it be a subscription service, but I won't try it without it being free probably :lol)

[quote name='gargus']A deal would be if it was .35 cents a month to play, but free is well, free and should go in the free section because its free.

Actually it shouldnt even be in the free section but the general gaming section because it ISNT free yet is it? This is just a announcement that it will be free in a month. So its not free or "a deal" yet.[/QUOTE]

Moron.

Thanks to the OP for posting, looking forward to this deal.

[quote name='mightymek']It's that large even with the disc?? Wow...that'll leave me with like only 10 gigs left, lol.[/QUOTE]

I could be mistaken but once you install the game to your PS3 HDD, you'll never use the disc again.

[quote name='mightymek']It's that large even with the disc?? Wow...that'll leave me with like only 10 gigs left, lol.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have the retail disc and shit takes up like 17 gigs. It's crazy and I wish I could get rid of it, but I'm happy I didn't now that it's going F2P.

[quote name='Vader582']I could be mistaken but once you install the game to your PS3 HDD, you'll never use the disc again.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you must still put the disc in to play it.

wow, so I paid $60 for my game (or was MSRP $50?) and it has essentially price dropped to $5? That's complete bull shit...

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yes, I have the retail disc and shit takes up like 17 gigs. It's crazy and I wish I could get rid of it, but I'm happy I didn't now that it's going F2P.[/QUOTE]

Well, I REALLY want to play this now that it's F2P (couldn't afford or justfiy the monthly fee), so I'll have to clean up my HDD for some space. I have a 120 gig drive with like, 35 gigs left or so. I have enough, but don't want to be that low on room.

[quote name='mightymek']Well, I REALLY want to play this now that it's F2P (couldn't afford or justfiy the monthly fee), so I'll have to clean up my HDD for some space. I have a 120 gig drive with like, 35 gigs left or so. I have enough, but don't want to be that low on room.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't want to either, I've been pretty much surviving on 10 gigs since I got the game in June.

Was interested in this title, I hate paying for MMO RPGs! Might pick this up finally. I checked around online but this isn't sold USED is there some sort of activation code?

[quote name='bajingo']that would be awesome! but, how would they be making any money then? to keep game and servers alive[/QUOTE]
The full game is already on PSN so probably no need to buy the disc. They'll make money by selling in game items, DLC packs, and people who choose to subscribe to the Legendary option to get more character/inventory slots. I don't think it'll go down anytime soon. If anything it'll get more people to play and buy stuff.

[quote name='CaoPi']Was interested in this title, I hate paying for MMO RPGs! Might pick this up finally. I checked around online but this isn't sold USED is there some sort of activation code?[/QUOTE]

each disk when first used is tied to that one account. Thats why you cannot find it used anywhere.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I continue to be baffled by the entire thing. People who think a $5 game belongs here, but then for some reason a free game doesn't...as though free is not a deal...as opposed to being the best possible deal.

It's...bizarre.

At any rate...hmm...I wouldn't mind trying this or if Star Trek goes free. (Well, if I ended up LIKING Star Trek, then I'd actually prefer it be a subscription service, but I won't try it without it being free probably :lol)[/QUOTE]

Star Trek is going free too, but they haven't given a date it's just "before the end of the year." This is the future of any MMO that isn't as hyped as The Old Republic and I bet they have a backup plan to do it too just in case.

Less than a year of required subscriptions to make back a lot of the development costs through the old $15 model, then make it a hybrid to keep profits coming at a steady pace.

[quote name='CaoPi']Was interested in this title, I hate paying for MMO RPGs! Might pick this up finally. I checked around online but this isn't sold USED is there some sort of activation code?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's a code but the disk can only be used with the account it was first used on.

edit: ninja'd

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah it is time to upgrade my hard drive. I only have a 60 GB one...but it is backward compatible :D[/QUOTE]

This

I been holding on to my original console for dear life

Backwards compatibility's really important to me, but since the new ones don't have it, it doesn't really help me much having an older one with it...like if/when it goes, I'm stuck relying on PS2s anyway :(

At least my new one is quieter :)

I might snap it up for PS3 now if it's going free-to-play. I've been eyeing that Collector's Edition for months at my store.

Premium: Any player who has spent at least $5 USD (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) will qualify for the Premium access level. Premium level players will have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game.

Now I wonder if the one month that was included with the retail copies will qualify us as a paid subscriber?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']THANK THE LORD! I have been wanting to get back into this for so long![/QUOTE]

Same here. Fan of the comics, but didn't want to shell out $15/month just to play.

Ok I'm confused... Is the game itself free or just the onlie portion that you need to play after you purchase the game?

now we need to know if its better to buy the disc now and get that month membership or take the free version and spend a few bucks to get the premium.

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']now we need to know if its better to buy the disc now and get that month membership or take the free version and spend a few bucks to get the premium.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing. Should I sell my sealed copy now or keep it? If I need to download everything from the disc anyways, what use do I have in keeping it?

SO glad I didnt buy this last week when I was looking to get into a new MMO and this was my top pick. Definitely going to be playing this!

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Yes! I am so glad i didnt trade my copy in.....i wonder if the community is still thriving?[/QUOTE]
What place allows trade in of the disc after you've used it? I thought all trade in places weren't supposed to take it since the disc is essentially a coaster after the DL code has been used with it.

In reading the FAQs from the first page (thanks OP), it appears there is zero reason to buy the game now versus waiting until "late October" when its free.

The reason being that you only need to spend $5 once to reach their "Premium" level (more slots, slightly higher cash limit versus the "Free" level). But the next level up from there is pretty steep: the $15 monthly subscription. There's just no middle ground. So there's no reason to play the game until it goes free to play.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What place allows trade in of the disc after you've used it? I thought all trade in places weren't supposed to take it since the disc is essentially a coaster after the DL code has been used with it.[/QUOTE]you're correct but I did notice a few months back there were a shit ton of listings for used copies on ebay. I'm curious as to how that all turned out.

So basically...

A) FREE Membership:
DLC optional purchase, 2 character slots, 1500 currency limit, trading not allowed, no voice chat and 6 text msg

B) $5 per month Membership:

DLC optional purchase, 6 character slots, more inventory, 2000 currency limit, trading of items only allowed, with voice chat and 6 text msg

C) $15 per month Membership:

DLC free, get a "Legendary" title displayed for your character, 16 characters slots, unlimited currency limit, trading of currency and items, with voice chat and more text msg

Those going for the $15 per month have to be really hardcore geeks! And yes, the mandatory install for this game is between 16-18 GB huge.

[quote name='Brother Daz']you're correct but I did notice a few months back there were a shit ton of listings for used copies on ebay. I'm curious as to how that all turned out.[/QUOTE]
There were also some used listed for the game on Amazon last time I checked. I'd hate to be one of the uninformed buyers who grabs a copy for $40 from someone on there, only to realize it's worthless once I get it.:cry:

[quote name='gargus']A deal would be if it was .35 cents a month to play, but free is well, free and should go in the free section because its free.

Actually it shouldnt even be in the free section but the general gaming section because it ISNT free yet is it? This is just a announcement that it will be free in a month. So its not free or "a deal" yet.[/QUOTE]

So according to you logic ads that are posted in advance or sales, i.e. Amazon gold box events, shouldn't be posted in advance but when live?

i wonder what gamestop will do with all the copies of Dc Universe?

will they still sell them, or will they give them away/trash them?

because if i can get ahold of a disc then that will save me some downloading.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']So basically...

A) FREE Membership:
DLC optional purchase, 2 character slots, 1500 currency limit, trading not allowed, no voice chat and 6 text msg

B) $5 per month Membership:
DLC optional purchase, 6 character slots, more inventory, 2000 currency limit, trading of items only allowed, with voice chat and 6 text msg

C) $15 per month Membership:
DLC free, get a "Legendary" title displayed for your character, 16 characters slots, unlimited currency limit, trading of currency and items, with voice chat and more text msg

Those going for the $15 per month have to be really hardcore geeks! And yes, the mandatory install for this game is between 16-18 GB huge.[/QUOTE]

The way I read into the Premium membership is if you spend or spent $5 ever, not per month, you are granted a Premium account. The only monthly paid account is the Legendary account. Unless I read something wrong, but I don't think I did.

[quote name='FerDK']Are you sure?
The "Fight for The Light" DLC does not count for the plat so you can still get it playing for free:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/dc-universe-online/trophies/[/QUOTE]

taken from psn blog
Just out of curiousity… I’m assuming the free account won’t have access to getting trophies, right?

+ Lorin Jameson on September 19th, 2011 at 8:38 am said:
Yes. PS3 requires that only paid games reward trophies. Legendary access players will still be able to earn trophies though.
Lorin

[quote name='rpg']taken from psn blog
Just out of curiousity… I’m assuming the free account won’t have access to getting trophies, right?

+ Lorin Jameson on September 19th, 2011 at 8:38 am said:
Yes. PS3 requires that only paid games reward trophies. Legendary access players will still be able to earn trophies though.
Lorin[/QUOTE]
Even though that was replied on the blog I highly doubt that will be the case. Pretty sure Free Realms was the same way with being able to download for free and if you wanted full access you could pay more, but both ways you could still get trophies. I don't think there is a way to block trophies for playing the same stuff consumer A is doing as well as B even if B isn't paying for all the bells and whistles. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't see that to be how it works.

[quote name='rpghope18']Even though that was replied on the blog I highly doubt that will be the case. Pretty sure Free Realms was the same way with being able to download for free and if you wanted full access you could pay more, but both ways you could still get trophies. I don't think there is a way to block trophies for playing the same stuff consumer A is doing as well as B even if B isn't paying for all the bells and whistles. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't see that to be how it works.[/QUOTE]

Subscription Required for free realms to get trophy

[quote name='rpg']Subscription Required for free realms to get trophy[/QUOTE]
Ok, then that could be the case. I will be interested to see if it holds up since DCUO was a retail release, so not sure how they can lock trophies from unlocking while playing.

[quote name='rpghope18']Ok, then that could be the case. I will be interested to see if it holds up since DCUO was a retail release, so not sure how they can lock trophies from unlocking while playing.[/QUOTE]

The same way other developers lock end-users out of content. If they say it won't have trophies for free players, it won't have trophies for free players.

bread's done
Back