NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, I can't get any imaginary sense of achievement in playing a game so I'm not going to play?

Anyway, this is actually a really solid and fun game ... at least on PC. I found the PS3 version harder to enjoy but I used a Subway trial awhile back on PC and really enjoyed the more action-based mmo play combined with the DC lore ... and this is coming from a Marvel guy. But playing this for free is going to be great, much better than the experience of F2P on Champions I'm sure. The production values on this game are high and boss fights get nicely done cgi comic cutscenes, etc.

Overall, I would highly recommend giving this a chance once it goes F2P.

My wife got me this on PC for my birthday with a lifetime sub. (the thought that counts) According to what I have seen I will have a Legendary on PC as well as PS3... or are they still separate? Comments...?

[quote name='gargus']A deal would be if it was .35 cents a month to play, but free is well, free and should go in the free section because its free.

Actually it shouldnt even be in the free section but the general gaming section because it ISNT free yet is it? This is just a announcement that it will be free in a month. So its not free or "a deal" yet.[/QUOTE]
facepalmew.jpg

Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that the GAME will be free as well? I just can't see that happening. What would they do with all the remaining merchandise on store shelves?

[quote name='Jurassic425']Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that the GAME will be free as well? I just can't see that happening. What would they do with all the remaining merchandise on store shelves?[/QUOTE]

go to there official site and see for yourself :bouncy:

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

[quote name='rpg']the only way u can get trophies for this game is pay $15 a month[/QUOTE]

Do trophies do anything? As in do they add to a characters stats or abilities? Do they add any unique powers? When you get certain trophies, will items be unlocked for use by characters? Or are they just like the useless achievements that permeate console games and have moved into steam, that someone mentioned above that certain folk need to get that imaginary sense of achievement?

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']Do trophies do anything? As in do they add to a characters stats or abilities? Do they add any unique powers? Or are they just like the useless, ego driven achievements found in most games nowadays?[/QUOTE]

trophies do nothing some people have fun getting them other don't

dont download this free game. it will be just like Free Realms. total crap. they limit everything you can do to basically nothing worthwhile plus

1. it is a waste of 18 gigabytes
2. you cannot unlock trophies in this game

its pointless to play it just like Free Realms. They should just rename this crap to DC Universe : Free Realms Edition .

[quote name='Jurassic425']Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that the GAME will be free as well? I just can't see that happening. What would they do with all the remaining merchandise on store shelves?[/QUOTE]

If you look at previous MMOs that went from pay to F2P, the retail copies should still include a 30-day subscription which has a value of ~$15. So while you might not pay original retail, they still have some value (especially for people that don't want to deal with the huge download).

Also, for very active players, it can still make sense to buy the lifetime sub because you get Legendary access (with lots of perks) at a one-time price, while benefiting from the (hopeful) updates supported by the micro-transactions from the non-Legendary players.

Having played LOTRO as F2P, I've found that while it's a great way to start playing the game and see if you like it, you'll reach the point where you'll either get fed up with running into things that require you to buy them through the in-game store or you'll decide to pony up some cash to either pay the subscription fee or buy the quest packs and and other perks that you get if you pay the subscription fee. I'm pretty sure that if LOTRO had offered a lifetime sub for $200 after they went F2P, many people probably would have bought it because it's less expensive if you are an active player that likes to have multiple alts.

It also sounds like future expansions for DC:U (assuming there are any) will be free to Legendary players (which is different than LOTRO, where they have been charging for expansions, even for their VIP players).

Or they may end up more like STO (which recently announced they are going F2P), where they never released an expansion but instead just released smaller updates with smaller chunks of new content over the last year or so.

I think it's a good change overall and the F2P model seems to be a viable model. If nothing else, it keeps more players online (an important part of an MMO) and keeps the servers running for a while longer than they would otherwise.

They stated on PSblog that retail discs will indeed be pulled soon, though the free month will count for legendary.

Also of note, i'm pretty sure you have to full install the game either way on PS3. I remember some whining about that since it was available same day on PSN, people felt like the disc was worthless (since you can't sell it). I imagine the install would take waaaaaay less time than the download for most people though.

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']Do trophies do anything? As in do they add to a characters stats or abilities? Do they add any unique powers? When you get certain trophies, will items be unlocked for use by characters? Or are they just like the useless achievements that permeate console games and have moved into steam, that someone mentioned above that certain folk need to get that imaginary sense of achievement?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone who can't get many trophies. Zing!

I can't believe the crying over trophies not unlocking in a free version of a game....

If you were never going to be their customer then they owe you nothing. Sucks for people that started gaming this gen, but i'm still more interested in having fun with friends than upping my gamer cred. If i could turn the dumb things off i would.

I certainly wouldn't play a game i wasn't interested in just for trophies, that is beyond pathetic.

[quote name='sneezebu']I can't believe the crying over trophies not unlocking in a free version of a game....

If you were never going to be their customer then they owe you nothing. Sucks for people that started gaming this gen, but i'm still more interested in having fun with friends than upping my gamer cred. If i could turn the dumb things off i would.

I certainly wouldn't play a game i wasn't interested in just for trophies, that is beyond pathetic.[/QUOTE]

+1
And I like trophies, but there is no way I´ll let pass a (FREE) game I like because the lack of trophies.

[quote name='kennyb324']i wonder what gamestop will do with all the copies of Dc Universe?

will they still sell them, or will they give them away/trash them?

because if i can get ahold of a disc then that will save me some downloading.[/QUOTE]
They will sell them, this is gamestop :lol:. They still sell Champions Online disks for PC and Champions Online is now free to play.

I enjoy trophies, but I'm still picking up Saints Row 2 tomorrow. That game is awesome and I want that on my ps3 forever. Wish it had trophies like 360 version has achievements, but oh well. even the devs promised to patch it in but then changed their minds. oh wellz, sr3 will be here soon also.

yeah my ps3 has been downloading slower and slower. i hate it. i dont know if it's a connection issue, or cuz im down to my last 10% memory or what. Installs go fast, but i had to download almost 700meg patch for resistance 3 the week it came out and that took hours. even the renegade ops 70 meg patch took 30 mins. it used to go a meg/second, but now its like a few meg/minute. sometimes i think it's cuz sony psnstore server is swamped but 20 gig is insane. record of agarest war was 10 gig and that took half a day and that's when my machine was downloading all healthy fast...
god of war origins collection is like 19ish gigs, id rather just get the disk through rental/retail then wait for that whole thing to download. i might get this cuz it's free, but idk...

[quote name='Velo214']yeah my ps3 has been downloading slower and slower. i hate it. i dont know if it's a connection issue, or cuz im down to my last 10% memory or what. Installs go fast, but i had to download almost 700meg patch for resistance 3 the week it came out and that took hours. even the renegade ops 70 meg patch took 30 mins. it used to go a meg/second, but now its like a few meg/minute. sometimes i think it's cuz sony psnstore server is swamped but 20 gig is insane. record of agarest war was 10 gig and that took half a day and that's when my machine was downloading all healthy fast...
god of war origins collection is like 19ish gigs, id rather just get the disk through rental/retail then wait for that whole thing to download. i might get this cuz it's free, but idk...[/QUOTE]
Even with the disk, you need to download everything.

figures, i bought this about a week after launch...played about a month and gave up

kinda sucks the game will be free, but ill definitely play the game since there is no longer a monthly fee

Interesting, I'll probably hate it like every other MMORPG, but the price is certainly right, I'll check it out if my cable modem doesn't burn out from the stress.

To the folks with HDD space issues: take the plunge, this couldn't be easier. Granted, I worked in IT hardware support for 7 years, but I'm reasonably certain anyone over the age of 12 or so could easily perform the upgrade, and am entirely comfortable recommending the procedure to laymen. Remember to buy the right size HDD (2.5" SATA), and I would also suggest hanging tight at 5400rpm rather than getting anything faster, there are enough thermal issues inside the PS3 with the CPU, GPU and enclosed PSU as it is, the very negligible increase in performance @ higher rpm is really not worth the long-term risk, IMO.

You can get 500gb WD Scorpio Blues (I've had a 640gb Scorpio Blue in my original 60 for two years now with no issues whatsoever) for about $50-60 at several places, just get a OEM white box drive if you buy, there's no point in paying for a retail box, you don't need any ribbons or pretty pictures. I'm sure other manufacturers are fine as well.

Once you have the drive, if you want to save what your existing files and don't have PS+, use the backup utility on the XMB to copy the drive's contents to a USB drive (I used a 60gb iPod classic, it worked fine). Pop out the existing drive--if you have an original model PS3, be _extremely_ careful taking out the blue screw as it is made of absurdly soft metal and will strip in a heartbeat if you're not careful, this is really the one foreseeable pitfall that people might run into. The easiest thing to do is make sure you're using the proper size Phillips driver (No. 1), take it slow and steady, and silly as this may sound, you may even want to pop your console into the refrigerator for an hour before you start the operation, to let the metals contract a little and maybe give you a little leeway to work with. If you feel/see the screw head stripping, stop and go get a better driver; if it totally strips you'll have to verse yourself in the art of using a bolt extractor, and that's probably beyond most newbies. But don't worry overmuch, I only give this caveat out of an abundance of caution, most people won't have any issues.

Once you've got the outer blue screw out, you can slide out the cage, swap your drive with a few more standard screws, reinstall it, and fire the machine back up. The OS will be installed automatically, after which point you can attach your external drive to a USB port and perform the restoration of the data from your old drive.

Just my $0.02. Apart from maybe plugging in DIMMs, it's about the easiest upgrade there is in home electronics. The actual physical labor, apart from the backup and restore, probably took me less than five minutes.

[quote name='Velo214']I enjoy trophies, but I'm still picking up Saints Row 2 tomorrow. That game is awesome and I want that on my ps3 forever. Wish it had trophies like 360 version has achievements, but oh well. even the devs promised to patch it in but then changed their minds. oh wellz, sr3 will be here soon also.[/QUOTE]
Saint's 2 has co-op too, which is really nice, though I played it more like a free mode for SR2 and kept stealing SWAT tanks with cannons to cause havoc.;)

The soundtrack for SR2 is really good too, which had me just cruising around for hours between missions just listening to the radio.:lol:

Requiring roughly 40gb to download and install (20gb download, another 20gb to install before the download vanishes) unless you buy a disc which is just an install and no trophies unless you pay the $15 fee?

Yeah, I'm out before I'm even in.

[quote name='FerDK']
That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad they're doing this, with the free to play and SWTOR coming soon, DCU was in trouble. This might be one of the best free to play games out there, I might give this game another chance soon.

"Requiring roughly 40gb to download and install (20gb download, another 20gb to install before the download vanishes"

did you pull that fact out your rektum ????:booty:

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']"Requiring roughly 40gb to download and install (20gb download, another 20gb to install before the download vanishes"

did you pull that fact out your rektum ????:booty:[/QUOTE]

Rectum.....damn near killed 'em

Alright. I know the game needs to be installed to play, regardless of whether you have the disc or not. I haven't seen this answered definitively in this thread so far (even with all the stupid questions). Is the 18ish gig install a download ONLY even if you have the disc, or does it install FROM the disc if you own it?

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']"Requiring roughly 40gb to download and install (20gb download, another 20gb to install before the download vanishes"

did you pull that fact out your rektum ????:booty:[/QUOTE]

Sadly, no. I'm not sure how big it is now, but the beta was 18 gigs so 20 isn't out of the question. And you do indeed need double the space to finish the install.

Any download that ends up as a little bubble in your games area needs double its size to install, and then when installing is finished it deletes the download and the space comes back.

wow 2 months ago i was actually planning on getting this. thank God it's free now. is it for everyone or just plus members?

[quote name='Buuhan1']Requiring roughly 40gb to download and install (20gb download, another 20gb to install before the download vanishes) unless you buy a disc which is just an install and no trophies unless you pay the $15 fee?

Yeah, I'm out before I'm even in.[/QUOTE]

Oh no you won't get your stupid pointless nerd points, who cares?

I know its not rocket science to install a new hdd. I'm quite tech savvy, build my own rigs afterall. But I can't justify buying a new hd when I feel like my 40gb can kick it anytime.

It takes like 2 seconds to install a new HDD. I don't know how you people are able to live with 40gb. My 60gb seemed like it was always full and now my 160gb is doing the same.

[quote name='Tissu69']My wife got me this on PC for my birthday with a lifetime sub. (the thought that counts)[/QUOTE]

LOL at least your girl appreciates video games, mine scoffs at me when i get a new deal..:wall:

[quote name='gargus']A deal would be if it was .35 cents a month to play, but free is well, free and should go in the free section because its free.

Actually it shouldnt even be in the free section but the general gaming section because it ISNT free yet is it? This is just a announcement that it will be free in a month. So its not free or "a deal" yet.[/QUOTE]

lol. Temp-banned.

Bought this used through craigslist and found out I couldn't use it on my PS3 because the access code was already used. Now my dreams have come true!! I can finally play this game after all. Thanks Sony! I take back all the bad things I said about you when you gave all my personal information away.

[quote name='redfusion']Oh no you won't get your stupid pointless nerd points, who cares?[/QUOTE]

Hate em all you want, they're not going anywhere.

[quote name='Alphadog36']Bought this used through craigslist and found out I couldn't use it on my PS3 because the access code was already used. Now my dreams have come true!! I can finally play this game after all. Thanks Sony! I take back all the bad things I said about you when you gave all my personal information away.[/QUOTE]
Gave...

...What?

bread's done
Back